PDA

View Full Version : Ive been hijacked

the mask
03-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi, I keep getting the message below and various websites keep popping up. i have tried various scans and fixes but no luck, please can someone help me get rid of this infection. I am using xp, sp2. cheers

NOTICE: If your computer has been running slower than normal, it may be infected with Viruses, Adware or Spyware. WinAntiVirus can perform a quick and completely FREE scan of your system for malicious programs. Download WinAntiVirus FREE now!"

IdolEyes787
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm assuming you can't do a clean install?

the mask
03-20-2008, 10:52 PM
thats correct, i would prefer to avoid that if possible

IdolEyes787
03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Could you elaborate on which scans or fixes?
Did you try this? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic98791.html

the mask
03-20-2008, 11:19 PM
i have used 'virtumondobegone', and 'smitfraudfix', i have also used the manual method in safe mode using smitfraudx, i have also done a spyware and virus scan with my 'virgn BB PC medic'

akenat0n
03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Did you try this? http://www.aceviper.net/WinAntiVirus_Pro_2006.php

Below the virtumundobegone solution there's another one.

Good luck!

IdolEyes787
03-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Try Eset or Bitdefender online scanners.They will both scan and remove and both are excellent.
Better yet is Kaspersky but if will not remove.
Ewido is also great for trojans and spyware.A squared and Prev-x are also good.
Let me know if any of this helps.

raspberry1331
03-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Here is the complete info about your infection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFixer

At the removal section there are some suggestions, try some of those first.

Good luck!

the mask
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
i have now tried eset and bitdefender, i have also tried rogue remover, no luck, it appears i will have to do a fresh install. do i have to actually fresh install or can i repair? if i can repair, how would i do that, where can i dl xp pro from which will allow me to repair only?

IdolEyes787
03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
A repair install probably won't work I'm afraid,because you keep your installed applications ,data and settings and thus the virus too .
A fresh install on the other hand is almost guaranteed to work.
For this you'll need a copy of XP or XP pro.If your a member of any general trackers you should be able to find one there.I could tell you a specific place to look but I don't know if that's violating forum rules.
You will just have to burn it to a disk and then let it run and follow the instructions on screen.It takes a little time but is surprisingly easy.
If your uncomfortable or unsure about doing this your best bet is to take your computer to a shop where they can do a reformat for you.Just be aware on a fresh install everything that you haven't backed up will be lost : all your videos,games,music etc.
Don't know of anything I can add,I do my own computer work but I'm no expert.I'm sure that there are several on FST who are ,I hope that one of them chooses to get involved.

Chewie
03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Do all these scanners say your system is clean or that they can't remove certain files/infections?

I make some pin money sorting out infected systems and, for me, format & re-install is the painful option since it's not just about backing up and restoring files. Usernames/passords need to be remembered (no-one ever remembers their ISP logon details for a start), Windows and application settings need to be reset to how you like them and all those games & applications need to be re-installed.
Sure, you can easily be back at a clean desktop inside an hour but the job's far from done at that stage.

IdolEyes787
03-21-2008, 10:48 PM
One last option,check out these sites.http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php
(http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php)
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
These people are real experts in malware removal and may be able to help.

the mask
03-22-2008, 03:45 PM
well guys, thanks for all your help, i tried but failed, i have ended up formatting and doing a fresh install in the end. im back up and running now. :)

IdolEyes787
03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Glad to here it.
Look on the bright side, at least you learned something and your computer probably could have used a good cleaning out anyway.

the mask
03-23-2008, 01:26 PM
BAD NEWS!! Im back, after the formatting of my hd, and installing everything again, the virus is back!! i cant beleive it, im vexed, any ideas please. im doing an ESET scan right now. what are the chances of that, i havent had a serious virus like this for about 5 years, and now twice in one week.

IdolEyes787
03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
First thing is to make sure you're actually formatting, and not just installing over top. If you don't see some progress indicator that says something like "Formatting", you didn't format the drive, so something from the old install could potentially be causing problems for the new one.
Second
Check ALL of your storage.
Make sure to scan any removable storage that you use too. They could have a virus.
That includes: thumbdrives, burned CDs, portable harddrives, etc.
You can also get a virus from personal files you regularly interact with on the internet.
Most probably the virus is in something that you saved and reinstalled though.
Running a scan in safe mode could be more effective, make sure that you try that.Also disable system restore, viruses are also saved there(you can re able it again after).
A virus cannot survive a true reformatting,so it must be something that you're adding later.

the mask
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
hi, yeah im sure, it asked me if i wanted to format NTFS (quick) and there was an option without the quick, i opted for the long version just to make sure, i have realised what the problem was, just before i had the problem i dl and installed a new version of limewire, after i had formatted, i dl the same version of limewire and had the same problem, so i have established that was the problem. i have done another format (quick though) but did not dl LW this time and all seems to be running beautifully.

Barbarossa
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Are you installing msn messenger by any chance? :unsure:

You need to untick all the "optional" installs that get bundled with that, or you might get this problem.

IdolEyes787
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
hi, yeah im sure, it asked me if i wanted to format NTFS (quick) and there was an option without the quick, i opted for the long version just to make sure, i have realised what the problem was, just before i had the problem i dl and installed a new version of limewire, after i had formatted, i dl the same version of limewire and had the same problem, so i have established that was the problem. i have done another format (quick though) but did not dl LW this time and all seems to be running beautifully.

Never had a problem with Limewire personally .Be careful of where you download stuff from.Try " nsanedown.com " I'd trust it for anything.
Barbarossa brings up a good point too some programs come bundled with other stuff that you may not want.Try to read everything carefully before installing.

the mask
03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Just another question idolEyes787, my taskbar doesnt fully hide, i have it on 'auto-hide', it does go up and down at the correct times but when it hides, there is still about 1 1/2mm of it visible, is there any way of correcting this?

Edit: and i have adjusted my screen, its not that.

IdolEyes787
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Not a clue I'm afraid.Sometimes my taskbar does strange things too.
I tried looking on other forums without luck.The only thing I can offer is that these things usually sort themselves out.

Again if anyone with expertise could offer some advice,I'm sure that "the mask" would be grateful.

Chewie
03-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Are you installing msn messenger by any chance? :unsure:

You need to untick all the "optional" installs that get bundled with that, or you might get this problem.Windows Live Messenger doesn't install malware, does it? I know there are useless other items offered with it but although I have never installed them, I've seen other systems that have been clean with them.

MessengerLivePlus, on the other hand, will install all sorts of nasty shit if you blindly click "I Accept..." when it's actually asking if you want sponsor programs installed, instead of selecting the "No, I don't want any of that shit on my machine" option.
It is a great add-on though.

tesco
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Just another question idolEyes787, my taskbar doesnt fully hide, i have it on 'auto-hide', it does go up and down at the correct times but when it hides, there is still about 1 1/2mm of it visible, is there any way of correcting this?

Edit: and i have adjusted my screen, its not that.It's always like that.;)

the mask
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
rossco, i dont think it is supposed to be like that because when i maximise explorer, the taskbar just ever so slightly covers the bottom of the web page, so where it says 'done', 'internet' '100%' at the bottom of the web page, these things are only half visible.

homeless4ever
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Here is the complete info about your infection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFixer

At the removal section there are some suggestions, try some of those first.

Good luck!

Thanx :)

kayvanblue
03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
search google for "smitfraudfix" go to the safe mod and execute the program
do not download any other craps

sanjana
04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I guess you can stop the windows messenger service from the Start > Run > services.mscOnce you do this popup should stop permanantly and secondly try to see what all strange programs are running when you start the computer and also try to go for the processes and check for some weird process names and make a note of it and delete them from your computer..