PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Rid Of

Pitbul
08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
ok i have a 80 gig HDD and it came with seprate HDD's one is labeled D: and the main one is C: that has the majority of my HDD but when i download something and save it it tried to save to my D: partition so i have to change it is there anyway to just make then one HDD is instead of them being separated?

TheFilePirater
08-04-2003, 10:59 PM
get partition magic, or learn fdisk to re-partition, back up ur stuff b4, cuz u will have to format

callum
08-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by TheFilePirater@4 August 2003 - 23:59
get partition magic, or learn fdisk to re-partition, back up ur stuff b4, cuz u will have to format
I don't think you have to format you hd, if you use partition magic.
This is what partition magic says.

Merge Adjacent Partitions

This wizard merges two adjacent partitions.
You will choose the two partitions: the first will be expanded to include the second.

The second partitions content will be added as a folder inside the first partition.

3rd gen noob
08-04-2003, 11:09 PM
you don't need to format if you use partition magic

i've done it a couple of times myself and it's really easy...

boyzeee
08-04-2003, 11:10 PM
yeh partition magic 8 a great bit of software, you dont lose any files. :D

sparsely
08-04-2003, 11:43 PM
/me agrees

Pitbul
08-05-2003, 12:34 AM
thanks i'll do that :)

3RA1N1AC
08-05-2003, 04:26 AM
partition magic can merge the partitions as long as they're both on the same HD. you shouldn't have to back up your files, but i would recommend saving your files on CD-R just in case anything goes wrong and partition magic ruins the partitions.

vivitron 15
08-05-2003, 10:29 AM
again to emphasise....make backups, cos when merging partitions with PM, it managed to go wrong, and I had to format it and reinstall....(twas my fault though :( )

balamm
08-05-2003, 10:55 AM
I've had one failure merging with partition magic 7 and 4 major failures with PM 8 . Guess which one I use now?

Back it all up.

lynx
08-05-2003, 12:36 PM
I had one major failure with PM 7 (for which I did have a backup) even though I did exactly what I was supposed to do. I tried twice and got the same result.

I won't touch it now.

3RA1N1AC
08-06-2003, 05:42 AM
personally, i'm glad that i have multiple hard drives, so when i want to adjust my partitions with PM... i just move all of my files to a different HD, make the changes with PM, and then move everything back onto the HD.

i learned my lesson after i used PM on a damaged HD, and PM ended up rendering the hard drive kaputt, and i couldn't recover any files from it. always back up your files before adjusting your partitions.

and if anything DOES go wrong and you neglected to make back-ups... get a data recovery program like R-Studio, hook the HD up to a different computer, and use the program to scan the HD so you can try to recover as much of your stuff as possible.