PDA

View Full Version : Build Or Buy

abu_has_the_power
08-04-2003, 10:45 PM
i'm gona buy or build a comp. anyone know of good sites and stores. I live near Chicago. i already know www.newegg.com, but r there any others for building, and 4 buying prebuild computers.

thanks

3rd gen noob
08-04-2003, 10:48 PM
there are a couple of pinned topics at the top of hardwareworld you might be interested in

sparsely
08-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Go for building one...
Don't skimp on the power supply. I like ordering stuff from Googlegear.com
also gotten stuff from UpgradeSource.com, couple other places....
Even eBay you can find some good used parts. If you don't have any good Comp Parts stores around,
online shopping is the way to go. Googlegear usually has stuff with free shipping, and decent prices.

Lamsey
08-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Buying a computer:

- You can't really choose the precise hardware you want
- You almost always get a crap motherboard, or one with little scope for upgradeing
- You might get a slightly cheaper price than buying the exact same computer from scratch
- You get warranties, tech support, etc that you might not get from buying components yourself

Building a computer:

- You have to be knowledgable about hardware to know exactly what to get and how to assemble it
- You can tailor your specs precisely to what you need/want
- You don't have to pay for Windows, etc.

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 12:01 AM
You get warranties, tech support, etc that you might not get from buying components yourself

build i'd say but i would say that as i do it for a livin :D i refer to lamseys post and gotta say that the warranties and tech support aint usually worth the paper they are written on, you wont even be able to open the case to clean it without voiding so said! helplines costing a fortune a min and all they say is "format and re-install windows" coz they not really tech's, just reading from a sheet of "what to do ifs". you will get a years warranty on anything you buy new anyway, build ya own thats wot i say but get really clued up on what you doing first. :D

callum
08-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by boyzeee@5 August 2003 - 01:01
helplines costing a fortune a min and all they say is "format and re-install windows" coz they not really tech's, just reading from a sheet of "what to do ifs".
That's what they told me just after I got my comp, I now know it would have been alot easier to solve the problem without re-installing windows.

bigdawgfoxx
08-05-2003, 12:08 AM
www.tigerdirect.com ...if thats not already listed..there good

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 12:23 AM
top tip by the way if you do have a tech support line no matter what they tell you to do ie re install, format, plug unplug devices etc etc tell them you have already done it and when the person you are talking to has got the bottom of there list of "fix's" they will run out of options and put you thru to a real tech. :D

CrumbCat
08-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@4 August 2003 - 16:50
Buying a computer:

- You can't really choose the precise hardware you want
- You almost always get a crap motherboard, or one with little scope for upgradeing
- You might get a slightly cheaper price than buying the exact same computer from scratch
- You get warranties, tech support, etc that you might not get from buying components yourself

Building a computer:

- You have to be knowledgable about hardware to know exactly what to get and how to assemble it
- You can tailor your specs precisely to what you need/want
- You don't have to pay for Windows, etc.
- You don't have to pay for Windows, etc. ???

Sorry Lamsey - what does that mean?

Somebody1234
08-05-2003, 02:43 AM
It means you can install Linux for free. :P :P :rolleyes: ;) :-"

Edited to add the :-"

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2003, 02:52 AM
thanks 4 ur posts.
1. as 4 warrenty and stuff, if i buy a comp, it's prob from www.ibuypower.com. they seem to have a pretty good warrenty, tech supports, and stuff.
2. i can build a comp, but sometimes i just don't like to shop around on sites that i don't even know. stores cost a lot, and r evil. sites r cheap, but some get screwy with u...
3. i think that www.ibuypower.com has a really nice deal. i'm getting a flatpanel from dell. they have a really nice deal. and i'm prob gona buy the Student Special A. it's seems pretty good.

now should i buy or build? :blink: :unsure:

_John_Lennon_
08-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@4 August 2003 - 21:52
thanks 4 ur posts.
1. as 4 warrenty and stuff, if i buy a comp, it's prob from www.ibuypower.com. they seem to have a pretty good warrenty, tech supports, and stuff.
2. i can build a comp, but sometimes i just don't like to shop around on sites that i don't even know. stores cost a lot, and r evil. sites r cheap, but some get screwy with u...
3. i think that www.ibuypower.com has a really nice deal. i'm getting a flatpanel from dell. they have a really nice deal. and i'm prob gona buy the Student Special A. it's seems pretty good.

now should i buy or build? :blink: :unsure:
Building it is usually the best, and I love newegg at that, I have a mobo processor and RAM, + LED coming from them right now.

Anyway, can u give us a link to the package? Just wanna see what you are getting, and give advice perhaps.

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Student Special A from www.ibuypower.com (http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/promo.htm)

http://www.ibuypower.com/images/pc-668-868-silver.jpg

The link to the configurator is:
Special A Configurator (http://www.ibuypower.com/confirm/configurator-special-a.htm)

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2003, 11:27 PM
i think it's a pretty good deal