PDA

View Full Version : how important is retention to you?

kooftspc11
03-25-2008, 05:55 AM
alot of people say content and speeds are important....even pretimes. but how important is retention. some trackers get rid of torrents very quickly some will keep them for a good amount of time as long as somebody is seeding it. this is one of the key factors for me when deciding how i really feel about a tracker

grimms
03-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Retention is pretty important as well. I think content with healthy amounts of seeders takes the cake for me though.

SgtMajor
03-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Which is why giganews rocks!

201 days and counting :D

grimms
03-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Yea I may join them. I like the nzb content I been seeing as of late.

dunson
03-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Retention means nothing to me. I don't grab anything that isn't fresh and I don't really think it is that cool to have X number of torrents with almost no action.

kooftspc11
03-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Retention means nothing to me. I don't grab anything that isn't fresh and I don't really think it is that cool to have X number of torrents with almost no action.

there are alot of games i decide i want to try long after they are released. finding a site that has them at a decent speed is a godsend...otherwise i have to rapidshare them

1000possibleclaws
03-25-2008, 06:24 AM
on everything but 0day sites I'd say retention is very important, unless the request system/community is good. then it doesn't really matter...

Annoyed
03-25-2008, 06:24 AM
there are alot of games i decide i want to try long after they are released. finding a site that has them at a decent speed is a godsend...otherwise i have to rapidshare them

Yep, retention is a huge thing for me. I usually grab more older shit than new. Pretimes and speed is also very important, but that's all a lot of sites care about.

1000possibleclaws
03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
and i meant community as in people going out of their way to upload something for you, not as in an 'elite members' tracker, ie those 2 newish level 5's :rolleyes:

escuoop
03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
I think it depends on the type of the content

for movie it's important but for softwares it's not

dunson
03-25-2008, 07:15 AM

I play COD4 and I barely have enough time for that. As for movies/music/etc. I honestly couldn't name something I really want, so I just grab whatever gets upped that I want.

yayyyyyy
03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
even for movies rentention is not very usefull...

what's the point in having a CAM there since ages when there's already out a bluray rip? :P

imho on 0day trackers retentions does not interest, on specialized trackers (music, hd, tv and so on) retention is everything... :)

Dark Archon
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Retention would be vitally important if a tracker does not have a request option, but to a lesser extent torrents are actively seeded and requests are fulfilled. Retention is very important for me as I frequently look for "odd" contents and most are old, not 0day, so I would love to have my trackers retain contents as long as possible.

yayyyyyy
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
so I would love to have my trackers retain contents as long as possible.

there are few trackers that force deletion of old rls (like torrentbytes)... in all the other cases it's all up to the users (that must keep seeding) and not to tracker admins ;)

soulreaper
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I can't even begin to tell you how important "retention" is. KG is a fine example of this.Snatched a flick that was added a year back as the torrent wasn't removed from the tracker. Also grabbed episodes of Forensic files off T2H(gem of a site btw) that were added long time back and those episodes are of great value to me as i'm so intrigued by forensics and the show rocks my socks off.Think i'm gonna bump my thread again,heh.

eatpepsi
03-27-2008, 08:02 AM
For even 0-day tracker retention hs to be an important factor.. Theres no point in flushing down old torrents just to accomodate new ones..

Anyways doesnt affect me.. For old downloads - RS is the way ;)

slimdogp
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
0-day is called 0-day for a reason. I could care less about how long a site keeps them, I snatch everything when its fresh.

However for sites that specialize in tv packs or music, retention is my #1 issue. Thats the great thing about trackers like bitmetv and oink (rip). Often times a torrent will actually gain strength over time.. which is pretty awesome.

eatpepsi
03-27-2008, 08:15 AM
At time u wanna find a movie that is not older than say 6 months.. You cant find it on 0-day these days..

KG doesnt accomodate Mainstream cinema... You have to turn to public tracker in that situation..

Anyways as long as RS is there ;) no prob

stoi
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
imo this is the big drawback of torrents as a filesharing form. especially on a private tracker where ratio and hit and runs count against/for you.

some trackers like to have great retention, but that usually means slow download speeds and impossible to seed it back without seeding it yourself for a year or so.

others like fast releases, with fast speeds and if in 30 days you havnt got it, or even got a 1 ratio on it, tough, its gets deleted from the tracker regardless.

We are trying to be a mixture of the 2. One stop shop for everything, and even a torrent thats a year old, you can still get good download speeds on and as long as you keep seeding it for awhile (a week ish) you can get a 1 ratio on it.

this is why the SP mod limits your seeding slots to get SP, so you can upload as fast as possible on that torrent.

Personally, if a torrent is a year old and its got 1 seed, and that seed is seeding 400 torrents and only giving 1KBs to that torrent, then i would prefer for that seed to come off it. at least then the leech can ask for a reseed (if there is 1 seed on it they cant) or we can delete it off the tracker and someone with a fast upload can reupload it.

we also dont want members to be scared of downloading old torrents, thinking they will be stuck on it for months/years trying not to get a hit and run, and just keeping it alive for the very reason, they have no interest in seeding it (at a reasonable pace), they just dont want a hit and run.

fOrUmAs
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
alot of people say content and speeds are important....even pretimes. but how important is retention. some trackers get rid of torrents very quickly some will keep them for a good amount of time as long as somebody is seeding it. this is one of the key factors for me when deciding how i really feel about a tracker

i dont care much abouth retention,as long they new torrents keep comeing

but anyway from where i leech retention is no problem:)

for me content is in the first place,then speed ect..ect

TP635
03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Very important to me; I tend to go for older stuffs. RS is where I go if I can't find it in private trackers.
Oday/good pretime and speed are not at all important to me.

messi30
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Pretimes, packs and retention are the most important of all the trackers.

t3w
03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Retention is very important for me, I seed everything I download till the torrent gets removed (let's say I get some kind of 'bonus' the longer I seed on the trackers I fileshare on) and I also like to grab stuff that is pretty old.

ShadowsServant
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Retention is important. We don't always get the stuff as soon as their out. Sometimes you hear a good review from a friend. I don't think we can always be in the know on all things.

Daniel
03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
As this was posted in the BT section: trackers that feature clearly 0day content can hardly ever offer a reasonable retention but it isn't what is expected of them anyway.

What's personally important to me is the combination of speed and retention, because as good as a 1 year old torrent with 1 seeder may be, it is no joy to download with 2kb/s. That's why I like the Usenet, no matter how old or popular something you download is, you always get the best possible speeds.

stoi
03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
As this was posted in the BT section: trackers that feature clearly 0day content can hardly ever offer a reasonable retention but it isn't what is expected of them anyway.

What's personally important to me is the combination of speed and retention, because as good as a 1 year old torrent with 1 seeder may be, it is no joy to download with 2kb/s. That's why I like the Usenet, no matter how old or popular something you download is, you always get the best possible speeds.

i know what you mean, but if its a year old on usenet, you cant get it anymore, the best one only has 200 days retention.

but yeah i think that if a torrent is 1-2-3 years old, then it has to have a fast speed, if it hasnt you might as well use emule imo

soulreaper
03-27-2008, 06:29 PM

i know what you mean, but if its a year old on usenet, you cant get it anymore, the best one only has 200 days retention.

but yeah i think that if a torrent is 1-2-3 years old, then it has to have a fast speed, if it hasnt you might as well use emule imo

Emule's great for those rare files that you can't find on torrent trackers but the prob is that you need to wait in queues,still use it though.

SgtMajor
03-27-2008, 10:16 PM

On usenet you just ask for a repost, it very quickly appears and then it can be grabbed at full speed.

grimms
03-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Yes that is what is great about Clients that offer 200 day retentions in newsgroups. It's sorta like the request a reseed for torrents. The uploader hops back on and you get it (Hopefully at a great speed).

lsw0794
03-28-2008, 03:27 AM
content and retention are the most important

saulin
03-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Retention means a lot to me, especially now that I'm downloading 360 games. So far I have found what I'm looking for on Usenet. Blackats seems to have the good stuff as well but Usenet is faster.

(I)
04-01-2008, 08:40 AM

But safer than emule @ least

@ Daniel Check TL, it's good speeds & retention