PDA

View Full Version : Is Partial Seeding Cheating?

kooftspc11
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
i dont think its cheating. i do it and i love it so of course i dont think so. i think its a better way to raise ratio than rss

Swift
03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
No it`s not, but partial seeding is for users with low bandwidth (http://www.google.ro/search?hl=ro&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=bandwidth&spell=1)

Submission
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
YOU CHEATER. BANNED.

J-dye
03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
lol@thread

DarkLured
03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Partial seeding is not cheating, it is a recommended way to increase your ratio. I don't think it is only for people with low bandwidth - it is very helpful when you are just starting out at a site and want to build ratio or if you are at a site where you find it hard to seed (e.g. ScT).

kooftspc11
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
(e.g. ScT).

i've spent many-a-lonely night partial seeding on sct...no need to stay in the closet

i feel quite liberated....moreso than when i burned my bra

lol@thread

lol@you

douchebag

Dark Archon
03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't think anyone believes its cheating or is there? lol

TP635
03-25-2008, 09:17 AM
I do it all the time. When I want to dl a large file and have not enough buffer I will dl just enough to not eat up the buffer. Then I seed until I have enough buffer to dl again.

escuoop
03-25-2008, 09:20 AM
no body think of it as cheating!

Some times u download a package and you skip some of it's files because u don't want them and this is considered as a partial seeding.

fisherman
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
No partial seeding is not cheating!

When I joined a new tracker I'd do it to build some sort of a ratio and after building some sort of a ratio I'd just seed as normal......

Some trackers don't like it but it has to be done imo just to get a kick start on a tracker :)

Disme
03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Some trackers even encourage it. Certainly with packs ... You dload one episode, seed it partially until your ratio is break even ... and continu to do so ... that way you won't wreck your ratio and face some unpleasant consequences when dloading a 10 year seasonpack that's about 70 GB's and you have to get your ratio good within a day or so.:D

Not cheating at all if you ask me.

On a side note:

lol@thread
Jeez ... just as saw skishoe (:sick:) was banned I noticed him and J-Dey are the same and they both have the habit of spamming throughout the whole board with useless, off-topic posts just to raise their post-count.
Please grow up, mister.

stoi
03-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Well its not cheating, but if your doing it to build a buffer so you can then hit and run on other torrents, then its not good practice.

and we hate it on BCG it totally spoils the SP mod 20:1 seeder leecher ratio, so those that have completed it, cant get SP because there are some leechers that are partial seeding, so not dl anything but they are a leech.

I can understand why members want to do it on other trackers, its just not needed on BCG as you can get a 1:1 ratio on every torrent on the tracker if you just stay on it long enough (and we are not talking years here, a week tops) even if there is 0 leechers.

Swift
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Well its not cheating, but if your doing it to build a buffer so you can then hit and run on other torrents, then its not good practice.

and we hate it on BCG it totally spoils the SP mod 20:1 seeder leecher ratio, so those that have completed it, cant get SP because there are some leechers that are partial seeding, so not dl anything but they are a leech.

I can understand why members want to do it on other trackers, its just not needed on BCG as you can get a 1:1 ratio on every torrent on the tracker if you just stay on it long enough (and we are not talking years here, a week tops) even if there is 0 leechers.

it`s good to heart this :yup: it`s good to know you can 1:1 seed a torrent in BCG

BlueLabel
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
its not cheating as Diame said

Some trackers even encourage it.

anto
03-25-2008, 11:04 AM

When I joined a new tracker I'd do it to build some sort of a ratio and after building some sort of a ratio I'd just seed as normal......

Some trackers don't like it but it has to be done imo just to get a kick start on a tracker :)

i agree with fisherman u need to build up a ratio other wise the tracker will ban u

stoi
03-25-2008, 11:13 AM

i agree with fisherman u need to build up a ratio other wise the tracker will ban u

like i said depends what tracker, 80% of the trackers probably will, but its actually harder to get banned from BCG because of low ratio than it is to keep a 1:1 ratio lol

obviously if all your there for is to leech leech leech then your not going to last long.

anto
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

like i said depends what tracker, 80% of the trackers probably will, but its actually harder to get banned from BCG because of low ratio than it is to keep a 1:1 ratio lol

obviously if all your there for is to leech leech leech then your not going to last long.

i don't think fisherman meant for bcg games most other tracker's will ban u beacuse of a bad ratio

vinod242
03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Partial seeding is definitely not cheating, as disme rightly said if u r downloading a 70 GB pack, generally (or mostly) the download speed is much higher than the upload speed, u end up with a not so good ratio. The trackers know that and most of them give these away as freeleech.

fisherman
03-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I didn't mean BCG in particular, I'm talking about the majority of trackers in general.

BCG excels itself with the SP rule. I've grabbed some old stuff from there with no leechers and still kept a good ratio.

I did partial on BCG in the past when I joined up and didn't fully understand the SP system.... but if you read it carefully it's actually quite clear.

BlueLabel
03-25-2008, 11:47 AM

yeah but not every tracker have SP like BCG

p.s
buffer accounts not relevant in most of the trackers cause most of them demand x:x ratio for each single torrent, TDC for ex demand 0.7:1 no matter how much is your buffer.
you can have xx tb buffer but still you have to keep 0.7:1 each torrent you download.

many members prevent downloading cause they afraid to lose their account as a result of bad ratio, especially when there is many seedboxes that "stealing" the all upload of those that use their home connection, so I think SP system is very usefull (like BCG or TTi has)

stoi
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
well over on BCG we cant win, we bring in the SP system to help everyone keep a 1:1 ratio, then we get complaints that its impossible (or very hard) to get to the 1.5 ratio for PU lol

we have got some changes planned though, just havnt a clue when they are going to be done, with the server move and everything else thats going on atm.

BlueLabel
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
why not doing converting SP system??
members will seed and grab some SP and they will choose what they want to exchange it for like some x giga upload, req, invite (if open).
in that way they can rerach to PU.
TTi has converting system and it rocks

stoi
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Because they are to easy to exploit.

i wont give anyone any ideas on how to exploit any system, but if you run a tracker you have to think of the exploiters and the chancers, so you take that away from them.

ive been in this a long time, and if you give someone a yard they will take a mile.

BlueLabel
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
well if you say so
I never ran a tracker so you know better then me for sure

renwickftw
03-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Partial Seeding is fine on most trackers, unless they have some Seed Bonus system which get interferes from it, ie BCG. However, there are some trackers which disallow it altogether like TB :\

buggyfresh
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I do it all the time. When I want to dl a large file and have not enough buffer I will dl just enough to not eat up the buffer. Then I seed until I have enough buffer to dl again.

Correct and +1 - my HD is only 30 plus a 250 that's always 89-99% full!

Sanka113
03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Cheating, is a poor word choice, as you are seeding back real data. Cheating would entail "seeding" back fake data. Partial seeding is very beneficial to those who are new, don't have alot of buffer, lack hard drive space, or simply don't want the whole pack.

The one thing i don't like about partial seeding is that it's hard to differentiate them from true leechers. If your not careful, you end up dl a masssive torrent thinking that you can seed it back easily since it has so many leechers. But, in reality there all partial seeders. Partial seeding can be a gift and a curse.

dunson
03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I never partial seed. I just jump on the right torrents even if I don't really want them to build up my ratio in the first few weeks on a new tracker.

markupmaster
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
No,I only partial seed when necessary.

Here is my theory about Partial seeding..

"You may partial seed only when you need it and only to a certain extent."

When people go crazy and buffer their accounts hundreds of gigs when they already have a decent speed and buffer it is unfair in my opinion. I only partial seed in low ratio situations...
:)

colbert
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
As everyone else has already said, partial seeding is NOT cheating. After all, you are uploading legitimate data. I can tell from ScT that it is a legitimate strategy for people with small pipes to help build ratio.

VIZFX
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Partial Seeding = Building up Ratio

Remember, it doesn't matter how little or how much you download as long as you upload back the same amount, at minimum.

(I)
03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
No, never was cheating but some trackers forbid it cuz it gives false s/l data
However packs are for partial seeding :D

zallofa
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
sure its not cheating , i do it cuz i don't have space in my seed box all the time

(I)
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I didn't mean BCG in particular, I'm talking about the majority of trackers in general.

You talking about Sc* man :naughty:

saqib
03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
yeah same here , its not cheating mate , now close it until it fills with spam

grimms
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Partial seeding and uploading is how I got my stats up. Especially at hard to seed and get good ratio trackers.

mr.xom
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
some sites called it cheating " because you must download all the files and share it with others but when u partail downloading you avoid the rest of the files to share "

vfreak
03-27-2008, 03:53 AM
I must be really dumb (:yup:)

But how does seeding a particular file(s) in a torrent as opposed to all files in a torrent increase your upload chances/ratio?
Is it higher-prioritised or something? (not sure what the buffer exactly means)
Please Excuse a newbie, no, not to filesharing, or to bittorrent, or even to private trackers, just to how partial seeding actually works, and filesharingtalk.com!

JROQuinn
03-27-2008, 04:32 AM
its downloading parts of a torrent & not the whole thing & seeding those alone
usually I go for the last files in the list, dunno if it makes a difference or not.

messi30
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
But if you partial seeding its hit and run could be warning for you account, take care with hnr.

esco123
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
i dont think it is but as long as u dnt hit n run on other torrents sites dnt mind. i do that sumtimes if its a large file and there are many seeders, jus download about 1/4 then decrease dl speed to increase the uploading, then once there are more seeders, i dl the rest and then jus seed normally.

jasperr
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
i dont think it is but as long as u dnt hit n run on other torrents sites dnt mind. i do that sumtimes if its a large file and there are many seeders, jus download about 1/4 then decrease dl speed to increase the uploading, then once there are more seeders, i dl the rest and then jus seed normally.

here lies the problem with that.... i can see if it was a 50gb pack or something and you only needed 1 or 2 things out of it.., then seed what ya gots... But, it could be considered a way to beat the system also.. you do this on 2-3 trackers and you have the whole thing with no HnR... cause you would not have finished the d/l .... (this was just an example).... but there's a few different ways it play out.... and the trackers suffer because of it...

it's a double edged sword
if i was running a tracker... partial seeding would = BAN

necromantic
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
How could sharing of a file and actively uploading ever be considered cheating?

Who made this thread anyways :lol:

jasperr
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
How could sharing of a file and actively uploading ever be considered cheating?

Who made this thread anyways :lol:

if your actively upping on that torrent, then good for you as that's what's supposed to happen... but i was only saying about the cons of it.. which in turn could hurt a torrent... i've seen many, many people use this to get what they want and split... with only a record of an incomplete d/l and no consiquences...

as i said its one of them things that has two sides to it, and i'd thought i'd bring the cons to light... since all the posts so far are way too for it..

necromantic
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Good point jasperr, I never saw it that way.

tenis69
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Partial seeding and uploading is how I got my stats up. Especially at hard to seed and get good ratio trackers.
Well my opinion its the same but i have a doubt is that we are talking???

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1016/utorrentkx5.jpg

As you can see i have upload 2 trackers at the same time. So i help both trackers and increase my ratio. I think is great.:):)

jasperr
03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Well my opinion its the same but i have a doubt is that we are talking???

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1016/utorrentkx5.jpg

As you can see i have upload 2 trackers at the same time. So i help both trackers and increase my ratio. I think is great.:):)

no thats not what the topic is about tenis69, the topic is about grabbing only a portion of a torrent to seed and better your ratio.. well thats the supposed idea of it anyways.... what your talking about is different, and its fine.. thats how many people do things..

lightnin
03-29-2008, 09:31 PM
not cheating!

zukie91
03-30-2008, 01:33 AM
i don't think its cheating, its a good way to build a buffer at sites where its harder to seed

briand5379
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
It's not cheating. It's being a PITA for people as for some it leads to the misconception there's more leechers then there truly is or for the person who keeps seeding something cause he's the last seed knowing there's other leeches on there even though they truly aren't leeches.

Simulador
03-30-2008, 03:13 AM
no,of course not,i dont have a good hard drive and in TvT.ro there are big packs that i download in partial seeding..i actually do it with every pack in every tracker :D