PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Progams Installed?

balamm
08-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Take a look at the image and you'll see that some basic programs are no longer appearing in start/programs. If the list is minimized like it is each time it's opened, then some of them still show up. Is it possible to increase the number of entries shown? I was under the impression that overlapping or scrolling menus were automatic at some point. there is no right click option that will allow me to add scrolling. It' windows 2000 advanced server but I'd imagine it's basically the same as windows 2000 pro for menu options.

http://members.shaw.ca/userkey/userkey/OhNo2.jpg

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 03:25 AM
hmm dont really know much about server but have right clicked on ya start button and then clicked properties then advanced? or right clicked ya programs button? see wots there, i dunno in server. sorry couldnt be more of a help :)

balamm
08-05-2003, 03:40 AM
Looks like there's a hard limit of 152 programs in the start/program menu. There is no right click/properties option at all.

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 03:43 AM
oh my gawd! lol, ya picture never showed up 1st time i looked, yeh you prob right about the limit of programs! i guess microsoft didnt envisage someone having that amount of progs on a pc! that picture i have gotta say has made my day! and i thought i had 2 many apps! lol lol :D :D :D

balamm
08-05-2003, 04:00 AM
That's only about half of them. I've finally managed to keep it all stable for more than a month. There's just as many if not more installed in non registered folders outside of program files.

Rip The Jacker
08-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Holy crap!! :o Thats a lot of programs. What you could do is instead of having your start menu displayed in columns, you can have it scroll. I think this will fix your problem, but then it will take forever to find something. :lol:

IF you wanna do this:
Right click taskbar
Properties
Advanced
Check: Scroll the programs menu

If you want, try it.

EDIT: Typo

balamm
08-05-2003, 04:04 AM
That's got it, thanks. A little slower but at least I have my office and frontpage folders back again.

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 04:13 AM
hmm interesting, i like it when i learn sumfink new :D ta muchly :D

Rip The Jacker
08-05-2003, 04:27 AM
Whooo! I helped a mod! :D

/Me feels special. :)

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 04:32 AM
and so you should :D

3RA1N1AC
08-05-2003, 04:51 AM
jeezis christ. that's a lot of programs. i would think that --if you're not already using your highest screen resolution-- you would be able to display a longer start menu by increasing the resolution since that basically shrinks all of your non-fullscreen apps a bit.

balamm
08-05-2003, 05:08 AM
That did it too but now I need a loupe to see the icons lol. At 1152 x 864

Skank
08-05-2003, 07:57 AM
theres a registry hack too speed up your start menu(when u open it)..i use it on xp..its in the registry under "MenuShowDelay"...by default its set to 400..change it to "0"

it sould be in Hkey current users/control panel then look in the right had pane for"menu show delay" if its binary data is "400" change it to "0"

this should speed up your start menu,,must admit i dont think it had as many applications in mind when it was designed as u have installed in your start menu though...lol

vivitron 15
08-05-2003, 08:53 AM
you could split these into some subfolders "Music" "work" "video" or whatever to increase space...just a thought :)

balamm
08-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Well, I would like to categorize the web apps but would they still show up in start/program files? Hmm Maybe if I created shortcuts in the program listings?

lol, can ya tell I've never messed with these kinda menus before?

sparsely
08-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Good God!
Why don't you create folders on the start menu and move the shortcuts out of the default "Programs" folder?
As soon as I install something, I move its icons to a different group. Uninstallers go into a subdirectory of the
"System Tools" section, named "Uninstallers", Help Files have their own section, etc.

here's mine:
http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/sparsely/Misc/Start.gif

How long does it take, when you hover on programs, to show all those little folders?
That's not as bad as people with 100 desktop icons, though. That really gets under my skin.

Damnatory
08-05-2003, 09:58 AM
No shit man, I organize everything into smaller folders in the Start Menu.

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/damnatory/desktop1.jpg

Seriously Balaam, you should really think about uninstalling all the crap you don't use from day to day. Hell some of that shit you probably don't even use year to year.... :D

balamm
08-05-2003, 10:30 AM
That's what I was looking for! I just couldn't find all the programs when I opened the start menu folder to do a move. No idea why they don't all show there?? Anyway, the solution seems to be that I have to manually drag each folder from the start menu column to the new subfolder. No mass moves. It will take some extra time time but finally all apps will be in their place.

Thanks very much to everyone for their ideas.

*I actually play with it all weekly! And the kids like it too of course.

Schumacher_Skaife
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey balamm post us a new screenshot and show us how ya went dude!

:D

Dave

MetroStars
08-05-2003, 12:55 PM
god dam does somebody actually need all them programs..

balamm do u use all them programs ??????

I never let my programs menu get over the first page..

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/Untitled-4.jpg

Triadcool
08-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Sparsely@5 August 2003 - 09:17

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/sparsely/Misc/Start.gif

How long does it take, when you hover on programs, to show all those little folders?
That's not as bad as people with 100 desktop icons, though. That really gets under my skin.
How can I organize my start menu like this?

liquidacid
08-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Triadcool@ 5 August 2003 - 16:27
How can I organize my start menu like this?

Drag and drop (left click and hold) any shortcut to wherever you want it on the start menu.

To create a new folder in the start menu, right click on your Start Button and select Explore. Your Start menu will now be displayed in Explorer.

Here you can create a new folder which will appear above the programs subfolder, like Sparsely's 'web stuff' folder.

Or, if you click on programs and create a new folder there, as you see with Sparsely's 'HP Photosmart folder, it will appear in the programs folder.

Sparsely has his start menu in the classic style, with Small icons. To do this, right click on your taskbar and select properties. Select Classic Start Menu, then customize and select show small icons in start menu

Personally i think Sparsely's start menu looks like nightmare, but then i am so fussy when it comes to my own. :) No offence Sparsely. :)

http://www.fhost.org/x/spicydel/desktopstart.jpg

ObiWan
08-05-2003, 07:34 PM
FYI you can right click on programs (in the start menu) and click Explore you can view and edit the start menu as if it was any other folder on the computer

liquidacid
08-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan@ 5 August 2003 - 20:34
FYI you can right click on programs (in the start menu) and click Explore you can view and edit the start menu as if it was any other folder on the computer
Exactly what i said. Right clicking on either start or programs will have the same effect.

balamm
08-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Not on my system.

Only 41 of 300 or so programs are shown there. As I said earlier, I have no idea why.
It's set to show all files, nothing hidden.

liquidacid
08-06-2003, 12:59 AM
No, the icons don't all appear in explorer; don't know why. Create folders in explorer, then drag and drop the icons to the newly created folders in the start menu.

You can also create subfolders, folders in folders, and so on. For example, i have a folder which is divided for all manuals, release notes, read me files, config apps., and any other crap that you get on your start menu when you install an app. but rarely use. That way, they're all together if you need them, but out the way all the rest of the time.

Good Luck. Looks like you've got some tidying up to do. :) Post us a screenshot when you're done......

sparsely
08-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by LiquidAcid
Personally i think Sparsely's start menu looks like nightmare, but then i am so fussy when it comes to my own

/me is fussy too! But I know where everything is...
There are also subfolders in those folders. Like, in System Tools there's \Administrative Tools, and \Uninstallers,
etc.
Games has \Online Games, and \Card Games. Accessories has \Office Tools, \Help Files, and \Accessibility....
well, you get the picture.

ObiWan
08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 00:26
Not on my system.

Only 41 of 300 or so programs are shown there. As I said earlier, I have no idea why.
It's set to show all files, nothing hidden.
make sure u check what user u are in.
some programs use all users and some install for each user (I think)

Damnatory
08-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan@6 August 2003 - 21:58
make sure u check what user u are in.
some programs use all users and some install for each user (I think)
Yeah make sure your logged in as the administrator...

balamm
08-06-2003, 11:04 PM
That's all there is, no users. It's win2k advanced server. ;)

Lamsey
08-06-2003, 11:12 PM
For XP users: there is another way to keep your programs handy... check here:
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?sho...pic=59410&st=18 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=59410&st=18)

Wolfmight
08-07-2003, 12:29 AM
there is a way to scroll it instead of multi list it.

sparsely
08-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Nice idea Lamsey....I do lika the Quicka Launch buttons...!
:D

balamm
08-07-2003, 02:43 AM
So here's the new look so far. A few things still need to be sorted, some things do fall under several categories but it's a great start. Thanks again for all the ideas.

http://members.shaw.ca/userkey/userkey/desktopnew.jpg