PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic

Damnatory
08-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Okay my question is, is it any easier than C++? I have taken 2 semsters in C++ using Borland and I hear people talk about Visual Basic alot. Is it worth learning the source? I have so many program ideas, but its so much work with C++.

Amarjit
08-05-2003, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend that you use Visual Basic, in my opinion it is not a "real" language. I would get down to learning a high-level language such as C/C++/J++ or C#/J#. C++ is the best, because unlike VB it does not create large executables and code is optimised to run very fast. At this stage, I would say get to grips with the .NET Framework, it is very powerful stuff. Download the latest and best version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=58014&st=0&) and then buy Visual C++ .NET for Dummies. Once you have mastered using the .NET Framework, you'll probably want to develop applications for the Windows OS, so then get a copy of Windows 2000 for Dummies, I just wish they'd release an XP revised version, but no matter, Windows 2000/XP are closely linked and function almost identically, aside from the GUI.

Eradication
08-06-2003, 05:11 AM
Visual Basic is used to create things fast, other than C++ at which could take twice the time. I'd use Visual Basic for what you need done. Otherwise you could master C++ and type twice as fast! ahahahahaa!

morpheous1777
08-06-2003, 07:15 AM
C++ is a good language to learn how to program with, but I really like visual basic .NET, its a major improvement over the old visual basic (6 and earlier) (and it has inheritance now, which it didn't have before).I like how it uses "english like" syntax and how fast a hearty program can be developed, you can do just about anything else that other launguages can do.
But honestly I would focus on C++/C#/J# as your primary language then just use visual basic.net to make your more time consuming parts of your program, then fine tune it with c++

Damnatory
08-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@5 August 2003 - 11:28
Download the latest and best version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=58014&st=0&) and then buy Visual C++ .NET for Dummies.
I wasn't able to download anything from those sites.
Now is that program (Visual Studio .net 2003, Enterprise Architect Edition) a visual basic compiler? or a C++ compiler or what?

Xilo
08-06-2003, 09:09 PM
It's a development suite. Includes compilers/debuggers and other tools for such languages as Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J#, Visual C# and a bunch of other crap.

Damnatory
08-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Well since those downloads aren't working for me, I'm just downloading Visual Studio .net 2003 (English) from Suprnova. I suppose thats the same...

Damnatory
08-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Well since those downloads aren't working for me, I'm just downloading Visual Studio .net 2003 (English) from Suprnova. I suppose thats the same...

Damnatory
08-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Edit:
Deleted double post.