PDA

View Full Version : Do This To Use Emule Safer !,

sharedholder
08-05-2003, 06:31 AM
4 those of ya who is using eMule, it is a good idea to use Peer Guardian but there are ways how ya can be even more safe..

So if ya dont know about it already, heres what ya shall do...:

- Go here: http://www.atheistdictionary.com/ipfilter/ and grab "ipfilter.dat"...

- Open "ipfilter.dat" in yer favourite text-editor...

- Copy everything in it ...

- Click on "Preferences" in eMule and choose "Security" section...

- Click on "Change" and paste it all in there...

- Hit "Reload"..!

Note: If ya dont have an "ipfilter.dat" already , eMule will tell ya that it cant find "ipfilter.dat" and then all ya have to do is to go to Emule-directory and in there yall find "config" - directory and then ya just have to place ipfilter.dat there.

Update it once in a while...

I suggest ya use Peer Guardian too however , so go grab it at:

www.methlabs.org/pg

Remember too update it regurarly...

Doing this will give ya some protection against the monster-corps...

...and Peer Guardian will give protection 4 other P2P-appz too, like Bit-Torrent for example...

Quite interesting to see how many connections that are refused and they still try to connect to ya even if ya have closed down P2P...

CheerZ ! 

WarLord 

balamm
08-05-2003, 06:34 AM
What build did emule start that in ? It's not an option I have, I don't think.

sharedholder
08-05-2003, 06:49 AM
I htink is a mod version take a look on this help file from EMULE.

IP Filtering

Sometimes it happens that users send, intentionally or without knowing, corrupted data. This may prevent a file from completing properly or the file being totally corrupted.
eMule introduces a basic filtering of IP's. The IP-Ranges to filter are stored in a file named ipfilter.dat which is stored in eMule's install folder. This blacklist has the following format (same as cDonkey):

# Example of a "ipfilter.dat" file
#
# All entered IP ranges will be blocked in eMule for both Up- and Downloading
# Be extremely careful what you enter here. Wrong entries may totally block eMule from accessing the network
#
# Format:
# IP-Range , Access Level , Description
#
# Access Levels:
# <127 blocked
# >=127 permitted

064.094.089.000 - 064.094.089.255 , 000 , Gator.com

This entry will block the IPs from 064.094.089.000 to 064.094.089.255, i.e. eMule will not connect to any IP out of this range, neither for uploading nor downloading data.

Warning:
The example above will block any connection to the specified IP-range. This may reduce the number of sources for downloads.

At the moment only one access levels are implemented. A value below 127 (default in Preferences -> Security) means that any connection-attempt is denied. Coming eMule-versions will expand this feature.
When a client/IP is filtered, it is logged in the debug-log.

Official eMule distributions will not contain a ipfilter.dat file. Do not use this feature unless you know what you do&#33;[/U]

Last update on: 2003-04-27 by Monk