PDA

View Full Version : I'm possibly buying a 360, but I have questions

Grind$oFine
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I was just wondering, do most people who have it modded, mod it themselves or do they get someone else to do it? I just saved up enough money to buy a 360, but I looked at some tutorials and it seemed like a lot of trouble to mod it. And I can't say I even completely understand what to do, but I'd ideally like to learn how to. Has anyone with very little experience done it themselves?

Also, I have a Macbook, and my roommate has a Dell laptop, both of which cannot be taken apart to mod the 360, as far as I know. I wasn't sure if there was a way to mod it without taking apart the computer too. I may be able to find a computer to use, I guess it would depend on what drive I have in my 360.

It seems like it costs about $50 for someone local to mod it, but would it be a one time thing, or is it going to be just as difficult to update the firmware, and in result I'd have to pay someone to do that too?

Would the situation be any different with a mod chip?

Also, will the soft-mod void a RROD warranty? Or is it just the removal of the sticker that would void it?

Thanks for any help.

Links to tutorials would be nice, but I've read quite a few, and I've gotta say most of it is over my head unless there are a lot of pictures. :P
The biggest problem would be that I'm not completely familiar with Windows OS, but I'm a pretty fast learner with the right tutorial, so there's hope.

silent h3ro
03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
As far as I know, if you open the case you will void the warranty. If you have the balls to attempt it, I would also add some extra cooling to it as well to save it from an RRoD.

d1sc0nt3nt
04-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Here's the pdf I followed to flash mine http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html

Gish
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I paid 30 bucks for mine and yes after that sticker is off you void warranty! But many people who mod 360's also fix them so you don't have to wait that 3 months to get it back from microsoft! trust me one burned game pays for itself.
You really don't need to mess with mod chips, you should just get it flashed with ixtreme 1.4. that is the new mod upgrade.
Also a word to the wise:
1. only use verbatim
2. only burn with imgburn and at 2.4x speed
3. use both XDVDMulleter and Kreon checker before you burn (so you don't get banned from live)

ENjoy

Grind$oFine
04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the help :)

How do you upgrade iXtreme's firmware? Is it the same process as flashing the drive?

Gish
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help :)

How do you upgrade iXtreme's firmware? Is it the same process as flashing the drive?

correct the thing is before iXtreme 1.4, modded 360's were easily detected if you played a burned game on live. it is allot safer now than 3 months ago.
what I do is I just buy the games I play online with just because I'm paranoid and am afraid of getting banned but many people do it.
try Craigslist to find someone that can mod your 360. thats what I did.

let me know what you dicide

fOrUmAs
04-04-2008, 04:14 AM
I was just wondering, do most people who have it modded, mod it themselves or do they get someone else to do it? I just saved up enough money to buy a 360, but I looked at some tutorials and it seemed like a lot of trouble to mod it. And I can't say I even completely understand what to do, but I'd ideally like to learn how to. Has anyone with very little experience done it themselves?

for start,if u havent modden xbox1 or anyother console then dont do it by yourself.It is very easy to brick x360 if u dont no what u are doing 100% even tho with all this guides u can find on net or youtube. just pay for the first time and if u really want to know how to do that,see if u can watch when your console been modden by someone else.

i have payed for my mod,but it was long time ago:P

lol i even dont have stealth firmware in my,i have old one and its works great (i dont use xbox live)

It seems like it costs about $50 for someone local to mod it, but would it be a one time thing, or is it going to be just as difficult to update the firmware, and in result I'd have to pay someone to do that too?well for a part for will this be one time or many i would say this,if u are buying xbox360 for xboxlive then u will have to update your firmware when new ixtreme been released (every few months) since M$ trying to detect hacked firmware so u will have to, but if u want to play just for offline then it will be only time when u need to mod your firmware and never again:)

Would the situation be any different with a mod chip?

Also, will the soft-mod void a RROD warranty? Or is it just the removal of the sticker that would void it?i recommend u not to use modchips,not becuause they are not safe or good,its just so many people are useing it (firmware hacked) and its much better IMO.

i dunno abouth warranty,i only know this is u open your console and some time later u get RROD your warranty will not work...i have my x360 since 4.20.2006 :D

Grind$oFine
04-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I'm not really interested in online play. I could never get into it.

I modded my PSP, but I assume that's quite a bit easier to do. :P

Thanks fOrUmAs for the info, since I'll only have to get it done once, I don't think I'll worry too much about learning to do or even trying to find someone with a computer I can use.

And thanks again Gish, I actually found the $50 guy on Craigslist, maybe I'll post and see if anyone will do it for cheaper. $50 seems kind of expensive to me. :ermm:

And regarding the warranty, I know if you open it the warranty is void, but I believe its because you break or lose a sticker on it. If I were to somehow save the sticker, would the warranty still be good? Eh, I guess, seeing as how there's another fix it doesn't matter. Unless of course the X Clamp fix or whatever else, can it potentially cause any more problems with the console?

fOrUmAs
04-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I'm not really interested in online play. I could never get into it.

I modded my PSP, but I assume that's quite a bit easier to do. :P

Thanks fOrUmAs for the info, since I'll only have to get it done once, I don't think I'll worry too much about learning to do or even trying to find someone with a computer I can use.

And regarding the warranty, I know if you open it the warranty is void, but I believe its because you break or lose a sticker on it. If I were to somehow save the sticker, would the warranty still be good? Eh, I guess, seeing as how there's another fix it doesn't matter. Unless of course the X Clamp fix or whatever else, can it potentially cause any more problems with the console?

hehe we are offline guys (cave people:lol:)

well i never modded any of my console,even tho i have watched many times my friends how they mod..im not that geek:naughty:

yea that is correct,u really dont have to worry anymore with that shit,once and u are done as i said:)

there is no point of removeing and adding it again (sticker) since when u remove first time then someone else will see that someone u or anyone else have open xbox without permissions..

my advise is for u,if u worry abouth RROD then try what i have done

try to find store where they already selling modded 360 with warranty(if there is something like that where u live) so then u will be fine and not worry abouth RROD even tho they now have much better motherboard then in my days..(never got RROD on my 360) and i hope never will:01:

Np im very glad to help

Peanut
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
i dont own one but my cousin has one, shit cofd 4 is the shit dude//
and online is a must ,,,,,

Pudge
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM

I have to agree. A 360 without XBL wouldn't be worth the money in my opinion. I would probably just buy another Wii or an Xbox 1 if I couldn't get XBL

Grind$oFine
04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
I think only people who really like playing online would think that. ;)

I'm not big into first person shooters anyway, which is what all the XBL craze seems to be about. Even when I do play them, I'd never play on Live, I would humiliate myself - I'm just plain bad at them, I usually get frustrated within 10 minutes. :lol:

I just want to play my RPGs, Action-Adventure, Rhythm, Sports, and Racing games in high definition on my TV I spent over a grand on, and never use to it's full potential. Plus, I do have a Wii and the graphics are mediocre and though I love the games, they're not very versatile. No More Heroes was a godsend, but there's not much else that's mature AND fun to play. My PS2 has the versatility, but some of the graphics are so pixelated when I play that it gives me a headache. :cry:

Besides, I'm getting a Xbox 360 Premium, with the HDMI port & cord, 2 controllers, 6 games for $250 - so I wouldn't call it a waste of money because I could probably just sell it for more if I really don't like it - and actually make money off of it.

I'd buy a PS3 if I could get a deal on it and I didn't have to buy all the games I wanted to play, but that's not gonna be possible for a while.

cpt_azad
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
As far as I know, if you open the case you will void the warranty. If you have the balls to attempt it, I would also add some extra cooling to it as well to save it from an RRoD.

Funny thing is I've had my 360 since Dec of '05, and it's only ever given me the RRoD once, and all I did was turn it off and turn it back on again, poof, problem solved.

I guess I'm lucky lol.

Casper413
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
if your not interested in online play (which i personally say is Great). but still not interested Get it Modded by someone with experience in modding? unless you think you could do it yourself. It looks hard first time you get into modding 360 but its real simple! but your warranty will be voided and will have a problem if your 360 gets the 3RL in the future ( but if you still have warranty you will be covered by microsoft who have extended thier warranty to 3 years) but if you have no warranty you will have to repair yourself by performing the x-clamp mod!

Your xbox 360 has a good high chance of getting 3RL in the future.

but as fOrUmAs (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/forumas-182863) said you could try purchasing one which has been modded but still has the warranty sticker intact.

But if you wouldnt mind purchasing games like me i wouldnt want to Mod The 360 For several Reasons.

a little while back i purchased a 360 with 3RL and The x-clamp Does Work it has a good Chance to Repair The 360!

fOrUmAs
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

I have to agree. A 360 without XBL wouldn't be worth the money in my opinion. I would probably just buy another Wii or an Xbox 1 if I couldn't get XBL

that is not true at all

why would i need live since i only play game to beat it and that is all,i dont have time to play online games and im not that interesting in that anyway,not just with 360 also with ps3,pc:)

Grind$oFine
04-23-2008, 05:51 AM
I got a premium with the harddrive, 2 controllers, and COD4 for $150. :D

I'm having problems getting it to connect to the network though. I think maybe my router's current FW isn't compatible. :dry:

Anyway, if I hypothetically figure this out, and I hypothetically get banned from Live, can I still connect it in my Network to stream media from my computer... or will it ban me from that, too?

Also, most of the games I've burned so far I checked with XDVDMulleter and they were fine as-in, I didn't have to patch anything... does that seem right? Or have I already screwed myself, and I'll get banned instantly when I finally get my 360 to connect? :pinch:

lostdemon
04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
If you downloaded games that were already stealth patched then you can just burn and play.

Don't worry you didn't screw yourself.

There are some older games which aren't stealth patched that you may have to patch yourself and if your on BCG there are tutorials on that.

Even with the latest firmware there are no guarantees that you won't get banned.

You risk getting banned the moment you mod your box.

I did mine and it was pretty easy. I have a benq drive.

I hope you enjoy your as much as I enjoyed mine.
Especially when your playing the new GTA

Gish
04-24-2008, 12:52 AM
you have a better chance of no RROD if you have a benQ and the new falcons processor. which started shipping at the end of last year. but if you end up getting the RROD then there are people out there that fix it. the guy that modded my 360 fixes it too. if you send it to M$, odds are it will take months.

a little off subject I'm waiting patiently for GTA IV NTSC. I cant wait

iamKy666
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I got my 360...well,it just rox!!!
I will never buy a gaming pc again(too much money)...so,i think ill go with consoles...consider what you really like...if you just like home-gaming a modified 360 will do the job.
Well,the online is crazy!!!Im playing Army of Two all day,lol!!!
The wii is a good sollution but believe me,in 1 month you will get it bored!!!Uneless you like childhood memories...
PS3 is good,but unless you have a 32'' HD tv is useless.
Gaming is better on 360,and believe,even if you wont modify it,you can still affod the cost.Ebay tulz....cheap games...50% the cost form shops....
Wii---->kids
PS3--->ok guyz is good but cant use its power machine yet...hell where are the exclusives????
360---->unique gaming for 3+years
:)