PDA

View Full Version : Winrar help please[compression]

Aliyans
03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
hi
I have some video files that are just over dvd-5 size n some just over dvd-9 size which wont fit on disk . i tried to reduce size with winrar but with no effect. it came out with same size...i heard some people resized large files over 1gb to very small size which i'm not sure true or not..but i think winrar can compress to atleast 50% of actual size...i want help with how to do it like that, if anybody know that..thanx:rolleyes:

Phantom_Magus
03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Have you tried changing the compression method on the main menu? Default is normal but if you change it to best it will likely help. Also under the advance tab there is a compression field you can change which may help as well.

Aliyans
03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
hi
Yes i did change to best..no same size...

mbucari1
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Put simply, rar does not compress video well at all. No compression algorithm I've used have given decent compression ration, and take a LONG time to compress. If I were you, I'd forget about compressing the video and just split it (which I assume you want to do) using the "store" compression level.

Aliyans
03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
hi
i would like to do it one dvd-5 or dvd-9[which i can get n the max available storage med]even from 8gb..i just need only just 50-100mb compression ..is there anything else do that

rocky1234
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't believe there is a program to compress videos at a good extent..Would love to know if there is any ...

torrentgeek
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
In my opinion video files are already in compressed state and can't be done further. If you want to reduce the file size the only option is to change the format.. mean, just convert it to Xvid / DivX. This makes the file size reduced. Though the video clarity may decrease.

mbucari1
04-01-2008, 10:17 PM
In my opinion video files are already in compressed state and can't be done further. If you want to reduce the file size the only option is to change the format.. mean, just convert it to Xvid / DivX. This makes the file size reduced. Though the video clarity may decrease.
He wants lossless compression not lossy.

dodgy368
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
DVDShrink will fit them onto the discs you want.

Aliyans
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
hi
ya mbucari right..i dont want to convert my video..just compress..with winrar or iso or any other image file..fine..i will find another way..

MultiForce
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I've used uharc a lot before. If you have downloaded gamerips you'll recognize it. It's not very fast but it should get the job done.

This is with GUI:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/UHARC-GUI-by-Brhack.shtml

ConkiZz
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Is that program good?

MultiForce
04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Is that program good?

Faster and easier and more widespread with winrar and winzip etc.

This is more if you REALLY need the few extra KB/MB to get something on a DVD or CD.