PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 2000 Error

ooo
08-05-2003, 06:19 PM
i just finished putting together a computer... n the hard drive is new... i just popped in windows 2000 boot disks... and im getting this error... see pics

picz~ (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/soulblade814/lst?.dir=/Soul&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/)

lynx
08-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Have you by any chance got a board with KT400 chipset and DDR400 memory ?

Please give a few more details and we may be able to help.

Miyake
08-05-2003, 08:35 PM
um i cant realy see the problem from your pics, ther a bit unclear.
have you been over the bios from top to bottom?
try bootdisks.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/)
they might beable to sort you out with new disks, dos upgrades and what not
just a suggestion

Miyake
08-05-2003, 08:36 PM
another think. have you Kdisked it and formatted it properly?

ooo
08-05-2003, 10:00 PM
well itz a new hard drive... so its in the process of formating... the ram is pc2100 512mb... asus motherboard... forgot its name...

im trying xp now... but it froze in the middle of installing the devices... any clues why?... i've installed xp twice with the cd but its a burned one from kazaa....

my xp boot disk unfortunately just died well the 6th one..

balamm
08-06-2003, 03:20 AM
It looks like a copy error during installation. If the Bios is not set to run at optimized default, if the drive has not been properly fdisked and formatted, if the jumpers are incorrect, you will see this.

3RA1N1AC
08-06-2003, 05:48 AM
if you have problems installing Windows, you should try stripping the computer down to the bare minimum of parts that it needs in order to function. i.e. motherboard, processor, video card, one stick of RAM and CD-Rom.

take out the other stuff like the floppy, sound card, network card, etc. you can install that stuff later, after Windows is installed. the main thing is just to eliminate as many potential hardware problems as you can, while you're installing Windows.

lynx
08-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Microsoft technet has 78 entries for stop 0x0000001e.
Many of them are hardware related.
But if you can't be bothered to post what hardware you've got, why should we be bothered trying to work out which one may apply.

boyzeee
08-06-2003, 11:07 PM
this is hardware or bios issues, had them myself on a few installs of xp on a few pc,s, go into bios and load failsafe settings if option is there if not manually go thru ya settings and disable things like caching, agp fastwrites and any ultra dma settings for your hardrive and cdrom, also set ya memory settings to safe instead of ultra or fast. in fact any settings that are enhanced settings. you could do these things one at a time if you like if you are interested in whats causing the problem but i just turned them all off. when os is installed you can just turn them all back on and windows will find them on boot. hope this helps :D

ooo
08-07-2003, 12:37 AM
i say it was my burned disk or maybe my refurbished hard drive... i don't know i ended up installing windows xp a couple of hours later but that took me 3 hrs lol.. cd wouldnt run first then my boot up disk died... :/

lynx
08-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I hope that really is your problem.

I tried for a week to install W2K on a machine with a faulty motherboard. It was giving the same stop message. I took the board back 5 or 6 times but they couldn't find any fault with it (although they said that 3 different cd drives, one hard drive and the memory were faulty on different occasions).

Eventually I changed the board under their '7 day no questions' return policy and bought a slightly different board, and the problems went away.

I'm just worried that you may be experiencing similar problems, in which case you can expect a whole shed load of problems in the future.

sparsely
08-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Got any really old devices attached to that machine?
you could try removing stuff one by one.... <_<

mogadishu
08-07-2003, 08:44 AM
yea i got the same error and im taking out some cards.. (ethernet, sound etc.) t o see what the culprit is.