PDA

View Full Version : using linux box/rtorrent, should i switch to utorrent?

dunson
04-01-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm just curious if anyone thinks uTorrent is much better than rTorrent, enough to justify going through the trouble of switching and setting up wine etc.

I'm using Debian with rTorrent and I like it because I am using under 100MB of RAM even when I'm really pushing bits. I have up to 768 burstable with 512MB of high quality RAM, so I think I could handle uTorrent in wine, but is it worth it? The reason I suspect it might be worth it is that since I don't have Windows at home, I always found that uTorrent users seem to favor each other in the swarm (I watched many torrents/trackers very closely and it seemed to be a pattern that always emerged).

So since it is so ubiquitous, should I make the switch to uTorrent or is rTorrent just fine as it is? Thoughts/comments/experience would be appreciated.

djork
04-01-2008, 02:31 AM
rTorrent is fine .. very low CPU usage .. not like there's a speed difference

how long are you going to have your box? usually imo if you have it for awhile .. it's just better to setup some sort of webgui, like torrentflux for utorrent webgui .. if that's possible

will17
04-01-2008, 02:42 AM
the utorrent webUI is great. As for resourse usage, im runing on 512 ram and everytime ive checked i've only been using minimal amounts of the RAM. You should give it a go, it's worth it. :yup:

dunson
04-01-2008, 03:48 AM
I will have it for a while, and have considered setting up wtorrent, which is rTorrent's webui I think.

Interesting will, maybe I will.

TidusBlade
04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I stick to rTorrent because I love the terminal interface, but a friend of mine tried wTorrent, and seems that it's really good ;) Just got a look at it myself, looks sexy so Ill try it out myself.

xurbia
04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I run utorrent in wine just fine with 256mb ram

Submission
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
utorrent/wine uses a lot of cpu. Just use rtorrent with ntorrent 0.5

dunson
04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
What is nTorrent?

/me saves Google skillz for setup

dythim
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
I really enjoy using rtorrent for it's ease of use. When used in conjunction with screen, you don't really need much. If I'm lazy, I will use torrentflux b4rt.

M3nn0
04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Im running uTorrent in wine and its running fine here, same as in xp :)

Johnneke
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
What is nTorrent?

/me saves Google skillz for setup

A webgui for rTorrent :)

rTorrent ftw!!!! <3

Unstable1
04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
utorrent, rtorrent and azureus - all of these clients rock. whichever you use is really a matter of preference i think, as well as amount of RAM on computer. in terms of transfer speeds when torrenting, there is no difference that i'm aware of.

tusks
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
On your Debian box are you managing the box as root or as a limited user? On etch I've had trouble running utorrent in wine without root privileges so I stick with an rtorrent/nTorrent combo. wtorrent looks really good but you'll have to install rtorrent from svn and some Debian ppl don't like testing/unstable stuff. Anyways rtorrent is rock-solid and build for linux so i'd stick with it.

weenden
04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
i like utorrent i hated rtorrent too bland

Raban
04-05-2008, 11:49 PM
but a friend of mine tried wTorrent, and seems that it's really good ;) Just got a look at it myself, looks sexy so Ill try it out myself.

dude i just get wTorrent setup and wowsers its very nice !! a full-fledged web interface to rtorrent...

but i have got to admit it was a BEAR to get it installed... my ubuntu skills are a bit rusty but regardless it was very complicated to get all the required packages, HTTP daemon with PHP fast-cgi etc etc etc...

but i think its worth it cause the interface is very sweet !!

dythim
04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
I would stick with rtorrent and if you want an webui, use wtorrent. However, if rtorrent is good enough, you can use screen and manage rtorrent that way. Either way, rtorrent was built for linux and it is awesome and solid.

Ultimately it depends on personal preference.