PDA

View Full Version : trade invites for everything

Polarbear
04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
recently more and more people who don't have invites to trade just offer their seedboxes, paid game accounts, rapidshare accounts or anything that has a monetary value.

on the other hand people trade invites for seedboxes etc.

the new trend seems to be: why should i pay for a seedbox if i have bittorrent invites. there are people who have permament access to seedboxes without having spent a single cent. they "pay" with their invites.

is this fair against others who pay with their (or daddy's) hard earned money?

of course this has nothing to do with selling/paying for invites because there's no direct money transfer involved, right?

is there really a difference?

if somebody offered his new grafic card in "exchange" for invites, would that be ok as well?

why not trade prepaid mobile phone cards for example?

invites were given for free and they're meant to be free. to trade them for something that has a monetary value is nothing else than selling them in my opinion.

paying cash for accounts/invites is totally frowned upon, but to buy something and trade it afterwards is perfectly fine i guess.

selling accounts/invites for cash is the most evil thing to do, but to trade them for something another one has paid for is perfectly fine i guess.

cash is a piece of paper. it only has a value because you can trade it for commodities.

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!

sert
04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with your post, but consider that someone initially paid for a seedbox to increase ratio and get invites in some tracker. Some others donate to some other tracker to get invites, so invites are not given always for free, sometimes include a monetary transaction.

sleepyy
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
All i can say really is i have to agree with you other than that somebody else will always think of new ways to trade and profit from nothing. Only if life were that easy to profit from nothing:dabs:. The rules here also state you can trade non bittorent related stuff being there's torrent stuffs involved in the trade. Maybe it could be reviewed if enough people agree and stand by what you say maybe adding a poll would be an idea?

rocky1234
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with your view. Trading invites for seed boxes is almost equivalent to sell out an invite as both have monetary values.

God knows what will happen next..what else will be traded for the invites/accounts..

Totti
04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
people are willing to do anything for something they want if they i want it bad enough i wont be surprised to see people "selling thier sister for an ftn invite " in the future hehe

hhhfan
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
well i feel even paying for seedbox is stupid , we shouldn't spend money for filesharing . if u have money y not buy the original

Something Else
04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
invites were given for free and they're meant to be free. to trade them for something that has a monetary value is nothing else than selling them in my opinion.

I agree. The morals of this section are full of shit in my humble, personal opinion. :mellow:

fartmaster
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Not much you can do about it. I just give invites to people with good upload on other trackers.

znik
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Polarbear I totally agree with you, but it's not a new trend.

Trading for seedbox access is one of the most common things for ages and it's the reason many trackers have shut down their invitation system.

I couldn't think of another reason for a member of an top tracker to trade his invites for anything else other than money or seedbox access.

Not much we can do. I agree with you benchez.

fOrUmAs
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
recently more and more people who don't have invites to trade just offer their seedboxes, paid game accounts, rapidshare accounts or anything that has a monetary value.

on the other hand people trade invites for seedboxes etc.

the new trend seems to be: why should i pay for a seedbox if i have bittorrent invites. there are people who have permament access to seedboxes without having spent a single cent. they "pay" with their invites.

People can do whatever they want so if they want offer cars,pc and other shit,its they choice..and i also dont understand why u worry abouth that anyway,im sure u dont pay bills for guys that offers SB:mellow:

is this fair against others who pay with their (or daddy's) hard earned money?? if people can find the way how to cover the cost of SB i dont see any problem here

fartmaster
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Polarbear I totally agree with you, but it's not a new trend.

Trading for seedbox access is one of the most common things for ages and it's the reason many trackers have shut down their invitation system.

I couldn't think of another reason for a member of an top tracker to trade his invites for anything else other than money or seedbox access.

Sex, maybe? :D

barakokula
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
I think that ship has already sailed. :) At about that time when someone made WIAW list.

From economic standpoint i see no difference in trading 'invite for invite' from 'invite for sth closer to real money' like rs acc or seedbox. Getting invite takes time and money. Time costs money,so it's basically money. You need to spend more money to have invite rights on ie. bmtv than on goem. How much more,you don't know. You need an official exchange rate. FST provides that. :D Then you're all set,trade on. It's very simple and efficient. And i don't see any problem in it.
It's the user,the guy who spends time and money(through bw) that makes a tracker alive,not the sysop/moderator guy. If he doesn't have the time to make "friends" :frusty::frusty: on a boards like these,and wants to be a member of some other site,why not use that "invested money" to do so.
It's human nature,why go against it. Escpecially on a 'offical invite exchange rate' boards. :D There are much more nicer places on the net to discuss that.

Declaring yourself anti trader,against it and then post all the time in those boards....is funny,in a lack of a better word.
And the giveaway crowd(anti-traders of course :rolleyes: )....you're not fooling anyone. :D Of course,there is a MINORITY of them that do it for the true reason,they deserve respect.

sokrates
04-04-2008, 11:13 AM
well selling invites or getting seedbox access in exchange for an invite or other things is just the same..
i dont see how anyone could disagree here.. but i am sure we have some hypocrites here ;)

Swift
04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
this day`z they trade about everything for an invite !

the worst is that some guys trade for mone or other financiar privilegies :|

Hrvoje
04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
/i trade sex for invites

tralalala
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I happen to feel that people who have bought seedboxes are either lazy, or have cash on the side which they don't have much to do with it..

I've been torrenting for about 2 years, and not once have I ever needed the use of a seedbox to keep my ratio well over 1.5.

iamKy666
04-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I happen to feel that people who have bought seedboxes are either lazy, or have cash on the side which they don't have much to do with it..

I've been torrenting for about 2 years, and not once have I ever needed the use of a seedbox to keep my ratio well over 1.5.

Depends on your home connection man...what you say cannot be taken as a common true.

Peanut
04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Let The Polar Bear Speak !!!:naughty::naughty::P:P

Polarbear
04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
People can do whatever they want ... if people can find the way how to cover the cost of SB i dont see any problem here

If he doesn't have the time to make "friends" :frusty::frusty: on a boards like these,and wants to be a member of some other site,why not use that "invested money" to do so.
It's human nature,why go against it.

i have a question for both of you:

what about selling invites/accounts on ebay or for direct money transfer via paypal. would that be ok with you?

mrnobody
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
It's similar to donating for invite vs buying an invite from ebay. There are both sides of it but the side that matters to me is what does the tracker has to say about it. For example: there are plenty of tracker which has donate for an invite...and i am okay with that...at least when i am in that site. Meanwhile, some site have donate for GB (in a way u are buying something right?) and some allow trading.

Similar is with this thing "trading seedbox for an invite". I believe FST is oaky with it. They don't allow direct involvement of money but if it's indirect (such as seedbox) they are okay with it. Yes, i have an opinion about it....but again, if it's allowed then it's allowed :S

P.S. did that make any sense :pinch:

Artemis
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
nice to see they finally let your furry ass back in here squirr3l :naughty:

mrnobody
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
no, i am not replying u back...i am not spamming :01:

Polarbear
04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, i have an opinion about it....

welcome back, squirrel.

rather than hearing about what is allowed and not (i know that) i would like to hear your opinion.

i sometimes receive the impression, that you rather fall between two stools than form a view on something.

you always want to please everybody. you rarely tell us how you see things. it's nice to be liked by everyone and don't tread on someone's toes.

on the other hand it makes you look characterless.

with all due respect, i wish you would rather make your point than general statments.

IdolEyes787
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
What goes on in this section is essentially a competition so it shouldn't be surprising that some are willing to bend or even break the rules to gain an advantage.
As much as I find certain practices personally distasteful,it is in the end up to the referees(Mods) what they choose to allow.

barakokula
04-04-2008, 01:08 PM
i have a question for both of you:

what about selling invites/accounts on ebay or for direct money transfer via paypal. would that be ok with you?
No. Selling stuff on ebay has one bad sideeffect that trading on fst doesn't. Publicity. Which leads to site shutdowns. The final result of selling invites on ebay should be known to everyone.

On another notion,how are invites free? You can buy status ie. invites on bmtv,sct,revtt,tl........we're talking about real money here. On other sites,you 'buy' status through time and bandwith. So,invite is a thing of value. And it's boards like these that determine the exact value of it on the 'market'.

Don't get me wrong,i do not trade. Tried once in the beginning,when i joined fst,unsuccesfully.

Don't like it,i have enough spare time and started to enjoy filesharing enough to spend time on boards and irc channels to meet some good ppl,who invited me to all the sites i wanted. Just think that rule 'no invite trading' is somewhat stupid and fake.

Once you start segregate users using only a thing like amount uploaded,like all private trackers do,invite trading is bound to happen. And bandwith and time spent to upload needed amount are not free,are they?

TheWho420
04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
this is pretty much old news. people have been trading and selling invites since invites have been around. i see it like this. it aint wrong unless you get busted

with that, will trade my ass for what.cd invite!!

mrnobody
04-04-2008, 01:13 PM
welcome back, squirrel.

i sometimes receive the impression, that you rather fall between two stools than form a view on something.

dunno about what impression i give but i always try to see emic's view and then only have an etic POV. In other words, i try to put myself in a situation that i am evaluating...and maybe that's the reason for the impression i make.

you always want to please everybody. you rarely tell us how you see things. it's nice to be liked by everyone and don't tread on someone's toes.

Not necessarily, i have a feeling that you won't be pleased by my response. Beside, i am not here to fight and/or argue...unless someone is stealing my nuts.

on the other hand it makes you look characterless.

"squirr3l" itself is a character, i think we can agree on that :P

with all due respect, i wish you would rather make your point than general statments.

1. if i were to have a seedbox, i would rather share it for free than trade. But that doesn't mean everyone should do the way i do (or would do) it.

2. If this thread was a poll and the result would determine FST rule. Then, i would have said "no seedbox trading" but the scenario is irrelevant.

barakokula
04-04-2008, 01:13 PM
this is pretty much old news. people have been trading and selling invites since invites have been around. i see it like this. it aint wrong unless you get busted

with that, will trade my ass for what.cd invite!!
Show me some decent profile links via pm,and a decent reason why you want it and you might get it. :D

invite420
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Barter is Barter! It's all the same... trade for cash, trade an invite for invite , trade invite for seedbox - all the samething

BOOM
04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Sometimes I think this is a paradox, because many trackers sell upload credits and thus users can a buffer their acc...which is enough to become power users and get invites! I think the only difference is the recipient of the money.

dunkItOut
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
The problem is that people are greedy, and the inviter feels that they deserve a whole crap load of junk for their invite.

Skiz
04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
is this fair against others who pay with their (or daddy's) hard earned money?

p.s. i'm curious if this topic will stay unlocked.

What does fairness have to do with the price of tea in China?

And why would you suspect a lock?

SAM
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Nothing new.they used to trade invites for seedbox axx for long time.but the whole concept of trading is what is i'm against.
and trading is trading.it doesn't matter what you trade your invites for.

eatpepsi
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Barter is Barter! It's all the same... trade for cash, trade an invite for invite , trade invite for seedbox - all the samething

This is one reply that i fully agree with... We are here generalising between seedbox and rapidshare accounts with Cash.. Well its one and the same.. So if we intend to stop this, then we have to stop Invite trading too..

I think the common man who intends to trade invite must be thinking like this - I have certain tracker which has invites and other guy has certain tracker which has invites. Now if i get to benefit that tracker and he gets to use the one i am using then whats the harm in it. Both are at win-win situation. And so Invites are traded.

Seedbox although is currency based but so are invites at times. People buy invites for ScT or many other trackers and then trade it off for something else. All in all its Barter, "I have something you need and you have something i need - So lets exchange" type of thing.

Anyways i dont support trading of invites or trading in this matter. But my opinion is that its a general situation, if someone wants to stop it, it should be stopped all together i.e No Invite Trading or any type of trading for that matter and only Giveaways.

SAM
04-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I know how it feels and how annoyed and fucked up when you see someone didn't pay a cent and yet using a seedbox only because he is a trader.And in the other hand you stuck with your shitty connection only because you have principles you like to keep high.
life isn't fair mate :(

Polarbear
04-04-2008, 03:29 PM
And why would you suspect a lock?

sorry, i misinterpreted something. my fault, i edited it.

I know how it feels and how annoyed and fucked up when you see someone didn't pay a cent and yet using a seedbox only because he is a trader.And in the other hand you stuck with your shitty connection only because you have principles you like to keep high.

don't get me wrong. like tralalala i never felt the need to have a seedbox and i will never have one. i get along very well on every tracker with my home connection. it's more about my principal that selling invites is wrong.

The Wanderer
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM

I completely agree. :)

... and regarding the bold part I might add:

all for something that has a certain value.

As long as there will be demand always there will be offer, it's all about a market where people trade values. Any kind of values.

kooftspc11
04-04-2008, 05:22 PM
money is just the middleman for barter anyways.
barter=trade

who gives a shit what people trade invites for? there isn't really a whole lot wrong with selling invites on ebay either. it just so happens the the majority of us here live by some fallacy of a moral code that implies that we wont sell our invites on ebay or whatever have you.

if somebody offered me $5000 for an sct invite...you can bet your ass i would sell it!!

sexybowl
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

lol, stfu and go trade then

That1Guy
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I has 2 pair of socks (brand new), Jurassic Park (used DVD), and a can of beef stew....I can has invites plzzzzz.

;):naughty::01:

IdolEyes787
04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I has 2 pair of socks (brand new), Jurassic Park (used DVD), and a can of beef stew....I can has invites plzzzzz.

What color are the socks?

1000possibleclaws
04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
as long as there is a market for torrent invites you will never be able to stop people 'selling' or 'trading' their invites

kaffeine
04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I want to give my opinion, but I don't want to make a long post about it, since I don't think it will change anything..

Basically, I agree with you PB. Invites are meant to be free, for people you trust, for your friends. Period. They shouldn't be used as if they had real value (and I blame those stupid levels for that).

Truth is, with every day that passes, it gets harder and harder to find decent people that you can trust..

Rehab
04-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I have to agree with you but it is known that trading and what you described is the same thing.

Anyhow what's all these commercials in your post ? is this a new trend for making money ?

saqib
04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
as long as there is a market for torrent invites you will never be able to stop people 'selling' or 'trading' their invites

but ppl like polarbear ll always b there , to morally stop those shameful trades .

IdolEyes787
04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
My views on the subject are on record,but just to play devils advocate.
I wonder how many of the people that oppose trading and the like already have most that you want?
Easier to take the moral high road when you're already a couple of steps up I figure.

That1Guy
04-04-2008, 07:42 PM

What color are the socks?

They are just white....although I am now throwing in a Medium pepperoni pizza....

(im done spamming now :pinch:)

kaffeine
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
My views on the subject are on record,but just to play devils advocate.
I wonder how many of the people that oppose trading and the like already have most that you want?
Easier to take the moral high road when you're already a couple of steps up I figure.
I can only speak for myself. I have never traded any invite nor account since I started using private sites. I guess that's because I was already a member of some private sites before joining FST, and I never knew any forums dedicated to invites when I started, and that kept me away from trading I guess.

I agree that it is tempting to try to start trading to climb to "the next level", and there are many that don't know any better, and think that trading is the only way.

People don't realize that making friends and showing that you can respect rules and being trustworthy is a far better option (yea, I know how cliche that sounds, but it's true). Yes, it takes more time and patience, but many don't understand what it is to become part of a community, not just a place to steal files faster.

(I can see your point though, there are many that just adopted a non trading attitude because they have everything they want, or because there is another site they can't obtain by trading... and not because they believe trading is wrong)

grimms
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree with you Polar Bear. I see it done everyday and it's disgusting, appalling, vile or whatever else have you. Hopefully bt staff will crack down on it.

SgtMajor
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM

There's plenty of others round here with a masters degree in stating the bleeding obvious.

They must have plenty of plasters available from keep stitching their own arse up after all that sitting on the fence they do.

escuoop
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
As long as there is levels, trades continue

Artemis
04-05-2008, 01:53 AM
The truly hilarous thing about trading is that while in the thick of it, people need to justify what they are doing and use the stockmarket commodity argument to feel better about the fact that they are breaking the rules of private communities and if they are found will be banned from the community.
The interesting thing though is that this happy little level pyramid you so greatly covet is finite, there are only a certain amount of trackers and private bit torrent communities which invite members and at the top of the food chain in trackers or forums being a trader is a huge minus. Most of the people that really covet the levels are only collectors anyway, and need to have the latest talked about tracker as soon as it becomes popular, but then of course they get to the invisible wall, the truly private communities that do not wish to have publicity or have extremely strict rules on membership, but the thirst for the next tracker is can't be fixed by trading any more in fact traders are actively hunted. So they switch off the rep points change their username and avatar and become enlightened (pun intended) saying that trade is bad. I have seen this time and time again, the hardcore traders trying to justify what they do, the fence sitters gathering splinters while trading in private, and then the sudden realisation and change of heart................. collectors all of you, its pathetic.

Shno
04-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I have lost a lot of respect for people who trade seedboxes for invites. It is honestly, no better than selling them on ebay. If you really need invites, donate to the site, they are the ones that deserve the money (well.. as long as we arent talking about the musicians, film, and software companies:rolleyes:)

dawsonkm
04-05-2008, 02:10 AM
what the hell is everyone arguing about?

Annoyed
04-05-2008, 03:11 AM
what the hell is everyone arguing about?

Who cares? This thread shouldn't even had been made. I don't see why any one person would actually really care what somebody else, that they don't even know, do with their own invites.

cedwic
04-05-2008, 03:58 AM
:blink:

predateur
04-05-2008, 04:32 AM
the fair or not fair thing is from the tracker it self,
can i ask you what is your opinion about trackers who sell invites and upload credit ? (fair or not fair) and if the tracker do something not fair, where is the problem if his members do it aswell (trading invites and seedbox ofc, not selling :P)

i have poor home conexion so i need seedbox, and sometimes (if not all the times lol) i have some xtra gb's of BW and it will be reset in the end of the month even i use it or not , so trade it for invites , and i think its fair .
ofc buy seedbox to trade it for invites is just stupide :P

ps. i am uploader in some tracker so i need seedbox ;)

SAM
04-05-2008, 04:58 AM
The truly hilarous thing about trading is that while in the thick of it, people need to justify what they are doing and use the stockmarket commodity argument to feel better about the fact that they are breaking the rules of private communities and if they are found will be banned from the community.
The interesting thing though is that this happy little level pyramid you so greatly covet is finite, there are only a certain amount of trackers and private bit torrent communities which invite members and at the top of the food chain in trackers or forums being a trader is a huge minus. Most of the people that really covet the levels are only collectors anyway, and need to have the latest talked about tracker as soon as it becomes popular, but then of course they get to the invisible wall, the truly private communities that do not wish to have publicity or have extremely strict rules on membership, but the thirst for the next tracker is can't be fixed by trading any more in fact traders are actively hunted. So they switch off the rep points change their username and avatar and become enlightened (pun intended) saying that trade is bad. I have seen this time and time again, the hardcore traders trying to justify what they do, the fence sitters gathering splinters while trading in private, and then the sudden realisation and change of heart................. collectors all of you, its pathetic.
What a great comment.it's really comment of the month:fst: