PDA

View Full Version : Ehh Dropped My Hard Drive.. N I Need Some Help Now

ooo
08-06-2003, 01:57 AM
i was building a new computer yesterday and i had my spare hard drive with me... so i was carrying the case back to my room and i placed the hard drive on top of the case and it slide off and fell from 4 feet to the ground... nothing broke... and i plugged the hard drive back in to see if it would boot and it booted... today i was transfering files from it to my newer hard drive and i saw that it wouldnt read files...

then i do a system scan and it takes forever and it doesnt really help.... i cant format the drive since it stays at ZERO%..

itz a 2gb hard drive from segate and the warrantly is long gone... but i need it to install a windows for my father... is there anyway i can erase the drive clean? i havent waited for pass 5 minutes....

Shiranai_Baka
08-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Um.. Why not just get a cheap 20 or 40 gig HD for like 40 or 30 bucks? =\ since you only need to install windows on it.. just get a cheap HD and plug it in..

ooo
08-06-2003, 02:10 AM
but hard drives arent that cheap lol..

a 40gb is like 60 bucks... n i dunt got money...

note--> im 14... lol...

Shiranai_Baka
08-06-2003, 02:15 AM
Its summer get a job! :) Or tell your dad 40 gb for 60 bucks will last you a lifetime.., or try bringing it to a store.. they might fix it for cheaper.. meh ya never know :teehee:

sparsely
08-06-2003, 02:37 AM
2GB is barely worth sweating.
You can find one on eBay for probably 10$, at that size.
Just tell him the truth. If he has any sense of PCs or components at all, he won't be too upset.

goodluck

boyzeee
08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
download discwizard from seagate to analyze the disc and you can format/partition copy files with it to. great bit of free software link to page >here (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html)

ooo
08-06-2003, 06:26 PM
alright i'll try using that program... :P... at least my hard drive can be read unlike other people's... i was doing a google search and other people couldnt even read there cd...

MadDog-2000
08-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Forget about that old 2 GB drive. Once you dropped it, it sustained physical damage which can't be cured my software. Having it fixed is more expensive than buying a new one! Go to eBay.com or PriceWatch.com and look for a new one! That Seagate program won't help you in any way!

Somebody1234
08-06-2003, 08:43 PM
MadDog-2000 is exactly right. If it dropped 4 feet forget about it. Drives are very sensitive to mechanical shock.

Fixing a damaged harddrive is not possible. (at least not within any reasonable price range.) It would need to be fixed in a completely dust free environment like this cleanroom:

http://www.glyphicsmedia.com/images/clean%20room%20steag.jpg

As soon as you would open the cover of a harddrive in 'normal' air it would be useless even if it was brand new.

ooo
08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
well it still seems to work... im thinking of going to command prompt mode n try formatting it... 1/2 files can still be read... and the hard drive spins... anyways i cant find a way to buy a new hard drive since i got no credit card... and if i use my moms she would know...

lynx
08-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@6 August 2003 - 21:43
MadDog-2000 is exactly right. If it dropped 4 feet forget about it.  Drives are very sensitive to mechanical shock.

Fixing a damaged harddrive is not possible. (at least not within any reasonable price range.) It would need to be fixed in a completely dust free environment like this cleanroom:

http://www.glyphicsmedia.com/images/clean%20room%20steag.jpg

As soon as you would open the cover of a harddrive in 'normal' air it would be useless even if it was brand new.
Where exactly is that ?

It looks more like one of the biohazard rooms at CDC.

But I bet it isn't as buggy as a hard drive that's dropped 4 feet.

MadDog-2000
08-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by "lynx Posted on 6 August 2003 - 19:50"

Where exactly is that ?

But I bet it isn't as buggy as a hard drive that's dropped 4 feet.

That looks to me like a standard clean room, which is often used by hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Seagate, Maxtor and National Semiconductor. They all require 100% clean and dust free rooms because they are working with sensitive hardware. Many also work with devices on a microscopic scale, which means one dust particle, hair folicle or skin cell can destroy a hard drive or micro processor.

They may look like HazMat suits but they are intended to keep the "workers" from messing up that clean environment. It's obvious that they are not working at the CDC because they are not wearing air filters or oxygen supply hoses, which are required in labs where they handle viruses and dangerous biologial agents.

lynx
08-07-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by MadDog-2000+7 August 2003 - 05:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 @ 7 August 2003 - 05:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-"lynx Posted on 6 August 2003 - 19:50"

Where exactly is that ?

But I bet it isn&#39;t as buggy as a hard drive that&#39;s dropped 4 feet.

That looks to me like a standard clean room, which is often used by hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Seagate, Maxtor and National Semiconductor. They all require 100% clean and dust free rooms because they are working with sensitive hardware. Many also work with devices on a microscopic scale, which means one dust particle, hair folicle or skin cell can destroy a hard drive or micro processor.

They may look like HazMat suits but they are intended to keep the "workers" from messing up that clean environment. It&#39;s obvious that they are not working at the CDC because they are not wearing air filters or oxygen supply hoses, which are required in labs where they handle viruses and dangerous biologial agents. [/b][/quote]
Yes, I know, I was only trying a windup on Somebody.

Anyway, surely hard drives are assembled by machines these days. I understood they are put together in cleanish environments, then &#39;cleaned&#39; immediately before the unit is sealed.

But I understand your point, particularly with regard to silicon wafers.

Wolfmight
08-07-2003, 11:24 AM
To temporarly fix the problem for a few minutes (to get the data off and onto a different drive).. put it in a freezer bag (make sure it&#39;s seeled tight), and let it sit in there for about 10-20 mins. Now take it out and see if it works.
My old hd broke here and this technique helped me back the data off it.

It had condensation and didnt short out during the data backup process. :geek: ^_^

ooo
08-09-2003, 02:49 PM
heh i got off all the data and cleared the hard drive w/ partition magic... now it can store files but putting an os in it is hard... :P....

fat - 2gbs
fat32 or nfts - 4gbs space :P... i would say good for a few movies lol