PDA

View Full Version : does religion really represent god?

stitched
04-04-2008, 04:34 PM
i was just wondering y do people associate god with a particular religion?,if there exist god....
most of the times its just luck...there is not much difference between good luck and god ...bad luck and the devil....and still most the well learned people still practice religion and teach their kids about religion..
is it allrite to associate god with religion??if u do have a kid do u want to bring him up with all these religion in his head...one thing history has tot us is all the inhumane crimes commited in the name of religion that represent god in that particular individuals mind....is that what you want to teach AN young un-adultrated mind??....religion is an assumed story CREATED by a very imaginative person ....we already know religion is a big superstition...and most of the times "RELIGION IS MORE POWERFULL THEN GOD?!!!,IF GOD EXISTS"...i am not an atheist...i belive in god,but not in religion world could be a better place that way

Mr JP Fugley
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
i was just wondering y do people associate god with a particular religion?,if there exist god....
most of the times its just luck...there is not much difference between good luck and god ...bad luck and the devil....and still most the well learned people still practice religion and teach their kids about religion..
is it allrite to associate god with religion??if u do have a kid do u want to bring him up with all these religion in his head...one thing history has tot us is all the inhumane crimes commited in the name of religion that represent god in that particular individuals mind....is that what you want to teach AN young un-adultrated mind??....religion is an assumed story CREATED by a very imaginative person ....we already know religion is a big superstition...and most of the times "RELIGION IS MORE POWERFULL THEN GOD?!!!,IF GOD EXISTS"...i am not an atheist...i belive in god,but not in religion world could be a better place that way

Yes

nioin3k
04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I hate religion.

It's just a way to control people.

Some people just can't live in reality, they want some kind of fictional sense of being. These people are weak.

Barbarossa
04-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Are all these words in the right order :blink:

Proper Bo
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
twenty to six.

Mr JP Fugley
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Maybe you should pose your question in the serious section. They like stuff like that in there.

Mr JP Fugley
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I hate religion.

Some people just can't live in reality, they want some kind of fictional sense of being. These people are weak.

Thank fuck for sweeping generalisations.

Where would we be without them.

Communist France, that's where.

nioin3k
04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I hate religion.

Thank fuck for sweeping generalisations.

Where would we be without them.

Communist France, that's where.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so negative.

I'll keep my opinion to myself, as it offends some people.

Generalizations*

Mr JP Fugley
04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
No, please express your opinions.

If you really believe that religious people "just can't live in reality, they want some kind of fictional sense of being. These people are weak." then say it.

There are billions in the World, it's good to see you can define them all so succinctly.

nioin3k
04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
No, please express your opinions.

If you really believe that religious people "just can't live in reality, they want some kind of fictional sense of being. These people are weak." then say it.

There are billions in the World, it's good to see you can define them all so succinctly.

What do you think the purpose of religion is?

Do you honestly believe that the god described in the bible and such books is real?

There are billions of uneducated ignorant people on Earth, people that are easily taken advantage of and persuaded to do what they're told.

trevor2000
04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I hate religion.

+1

stitched
04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Are all these words in the right order :blink:

i dont really know ...those were just random tots i typed..i wanted to know what someone else felt about religion and god thats it...

as far as religion is concerned ...in spite of what ever i say i find it hard to stop believing in my religion and all..since it has become a part of my identity...thats y i feel may be if any change has to come its possible only in the future generation...once some one learns about religion at a very young age...it becomes a part of that person..and people will fight when its threatned...but its really very hard when you compare your religion on the decline and some other religion dominating in numbers.....i guess by the end of this poll "may be i dont care" will win the race....and i guess religion is gonna stay as long as people live...we can never be religion free...we r very different from one another to live together as one...

J-dye
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
religion sucks , especially the hindus :dabs:

J-dye
04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
forget it , am leaving

Hairbautt
04-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Religious radicals/fanatics tend to scare me.

Squeamous
04-04-2008, 06:30 PM
i dont really know ...those were just random tots i typed..i wanted to know what someone else felt about religion and god thats it...

as far as religion is concerned ...in spite of what ever i say i find it hard to stop believing in my religion and all..since it has become a part of my identity...thats y i feel may be if any change has to come its possible only in the future generation...once some one learns about religion at a very young age...it becomes a part of that person..and people will fight when its threatned...but its really very hard when you compare your religion on the decline and some other religion dominating in numbers.....i guess by the end of this poll "may be i dont care" will win the race....and i guess religion is gonna stay as long as people live...we can never be religion free...we r very different from one another to live together as one...

Fact is, if people didn't indoctrinate children from birth to belong to a specific religion we wouldn't have it. Sure, you'd get the odd isolated pockets of weirdos but nowhere near proper organised religion. Religion is no more than a group bonding exercise, where people wish to be a part of something bigger than them. It's the ultimate extension of our primitive humanity.....our wish to living amongst others with similar values in a way that benefits us all. You'll often meet people who class themselves as 'Muslim' or 'Christian' but don't actually seem to adhere to many of the tenets of the faith. It's just a big club to them with a bit of morality thrown in when it suits them. Plus, they can hedge their bets should there really be a judgement day.

I think it's unethical to raise children in any faith. If as people say, God 'calls to them' they will pick up his wishes on their own without being told by a man in a dress. By all means believe in a higher being...it's about as plausible as any other explanation of our existence.....but just don't fall into the trap of mixing up the weaknesses of the human mind in with that.

We're unique on this planet it seems in our level of consciousness, and I don't think we've quite learned yet to handle the enormity of our existence. We're afraid and it's perfectly natural to be...with all this awareness comes questions we can't answer. Religion in a way is like a pathology of the brain.

That's what I think anyway :ermm:.

SAM
04-04-2008, 07:01 PM
this is very nice thread to discuss but wrong section.

Mr JP Fugley
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
There are billions of uneducated ignorant people on Earth, people that are easily taken advantage of and persuaded to do what they're told.

Yup, all these seriously uneducated and ignorant people, not a patch on your massive intellect. Who's ever heard of a bright, educated person also being a member of a religion. It's preposterous.

Or heaven forfend thought for themselves, easily led sheep, every one of them.

Snee
04-05-2008, 12:28 AM

Yup, all these seriously uneducated and ignorant people, not a patch on your massive intellect. Who's ever heard of a bright, educated person also being a member of a religion. It's preposterous.

Or heaven forfend thought for themselves, easily led by sheep, every one of them.
/fixed

Why no take it all the way, like.

Oh and *Generalisations, ryan. He's not some colonial :ghey:

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Indeed, everyone who is religious is ignorant and uneducated, who am I to argue with that. Particularly given the great minds who have decreed it so.

Tony Blair for example, there's an ignorant and uneducated chap. Went to Oxford University, became a Barrister, went on to lead one of the G8 countries. How ignorant and uneducated do you need to be. How much of a sheep, figuratively speaking, to run the country you were born in.

Let's get this clear right now. To say that you don't believe in God, fair enough. To say that you don't agree with religion, that's a matter for you.

However to suggest that everyone who does believe in God and who is religious is also ignorant and uneducated is frankly laughable and bigoted. Cherie Blair is a QC, how ignorant and uneducated do you have to be, not only be called to the bar but also to become Queen's Council.

How many people here are Muslim, Jewish, Christian or whatever. All ignorant and uneducated, I think not.

Snee
04-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I've been wondering a bit about the mueslies here, truth be told.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 12:59 AM
In what way.

Snee
04-05-2008, 01:01 AM
In every way possible, ever.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Indeed, everyone who is religious is ignorant and uneducated, who am I to argue with that. Particularly given the great minds who have decreed it so.

Tony Blair for example, there's an ignorant and uneducated chap. Went to Oxford University, became a Barrister, went on to lead one of the G8 countries. How ignorant and uneducated do you need to be. How much of a sheep, figuratively speaking, to run the country you were born in.

Let's get this clear right now. To say that you don't believe in God, fair enough. To say that you don't agree with religion, that's a matter for you.

However to suggest that everyone who does believe in God and who is religious is also ignorant and uneducated is frankly laughable and bigoted. Cherie Blair is a QC, how ignorant and uneducated do you have to be, not only be called to the bar but also to become Queen's Council.

How many people here are Muslim, Jewish, Christian or whatever. All ignorant and uneducated, I think not.

Tony Blair only managed to become prime minister cause he supports newcastle. fact.

callum
04-05-2008, 01:21 AM

Tony Blair only managed to become prime minister cause he supports newcastle. fact.

Gordon brown supports raith rovers. Do you think supporting a shit football team helps one become prime minister?

Edit - I'm not being fair to raith rovers, they've won something while I've been alive.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 01:23 AM

Gordon brown supports raith rovers. Do you think supporting a shit football team helps one become prime minister?

that's a thumb down for you, sir:snooty:

Snee
04-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Oh and in response to the threadstarter I'd just like to say: WTF, brick of words.

Oh and there's no constant except that not everything can be proven or disproven at this point in time, when it comes to matters of the metaphysical.

Some organised religions can be, and have been, very bad things throughout history in some places. But not all of the concepts they embrace are inherently bad. It might even be argued that some have provided the means to create better civilisations, up to a point, as they lay down the law and motivate people to behave and conform to that civilisation's ideals with a better afterlife or some seriously nasty punishment from whoever's running the show, really.

Right now, maybe a lot of people need to rely less on organisation and more on introspection, what they think and not what's ordained, and for that matter let their children decide on what to believe themselves.

But if people want to be religious, and they neither hurt anyone, nor force their beliefs on anyone, I don't really see what the big deal is.

Let them have religion or something else.

Snee
04-05-2008, 01:26 AM
If you want a specific answer to whatever the hell you're on about, you'll have to sort out what you want to say a bit.

callum
04-05-2008, 01:31 AM

I really think you should pick a second team to support, one in Scotland maybe. Rangers would be your best bet, they are top of the league, still in 4 competitions and JP wouldn't like it.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 01:39 AM

I really think you should pick a second team to support, one in Scotland maybe. Rangers would be your best bet, they are top of the league, still in 4 competitions and JP wouldn't like it.

If i wanted to supoprt a team at the level of the scottish premier, I'd support blyth spartans or someone:snooty:

Snee
04-05-2008, 01:41 AM
You two are doing manly bonding now, aren't you?

callum
04-05-2008, 01:46 AM

If i wanted to supoprt a team at the level of the scottish premier, I'd support blyth spartans or someone:snooty:

Sorry. I just thought you might like to to take on a second team that's still in europe after the pre season tour.

Damn, I've had too much to drink I nearly forgot about the intertonto cup, sorry again.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 01:48 AM

Sorry. I just thought you might like to to take on a second team that's still in europe after the pre season tour.

Damn, I've had too much to drink I nearly forgot about the intertonto cup, sorry again.

We'd win the league every season if we played in scotland. fact:snooty:

callum
04-05-2008, 01:53 AM

We'd win the league every season if we played in scotland. fact:snooty:

No you wouldn't, your team is pish even with all the extra tv money you get. They'd probably be about kilmarnocks level without it.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 01:55 AM
how does that barb in your lip feel?:smilie4:

callum
04-05-2008, 02:06 AM

I was only trying to help you :dry:

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 02:08 AM

It was feckin obvious I was rodding, ffs.

Not even the most die hard geordie would believe we'd be able to win any league other than the conference:pinch:

callum
04-05-2008, 02:11 AM

Not even the most die hard geordie would believe we'd be able to win any league other than the conference:pinch:

What man would be able to resist slagging of another team? even one that wouldn't pose a threat to women and children.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 02:13 AM

What man would be able to resist slagging of another team? even one that wouldn't pose a threat to women and children.

One who doesn't have to derive self-esteem from mocking others, cockface:snooty:

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:14 AM
That so totally leaves you out.

callum
04-05-2008, 02:15 AM

One who doesn't have to derive self-esteem from mocking others, cockface:snooty:

I just like doing it, geordie.:P

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Callum, were you a programmer or something of that sort?

callum
04-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Callum, were you a programmer or something of that sort?

No, why do you ask? :ermm:

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Just trying to figure out who the fuck was who of the people I remember from the dawn of time on the bored, like :idunno:

Might be barbie I'm thinking of, though. I always mixed you two up.

Sorry about that, like.

Been wondering for ages, like.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 02:50 AM

h4r5h :glagpinch:

callum
04-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Just trying to figure out who the fuck was who of the people I remember from the dawn of time on the bored, like :idunno:

Sorry about that, like.

Might be balamm you're thinking of. It took babrbie a name change and several years, before anyone noticed his posts like.

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:54 AM
callum and colin aren't that far from each other, like. Especially when you've nevar met anyone named either :unsure:

callum
04-05-2008, 02:54 AM

I always got you mixed up with azzz.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 02:56 AM

that's just too far:no:

i'm going to nevada now:emo:
/hounded off the board

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:56 AM
It took babrbie a name change and several years, before anyone noticed his posts like.

Good point, I was like "what? Who's this then?" when he started running cheese's interwebs forum.

Snee
04-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Nevada must be massively happening wot with all the people going there lately :dabs:

callum
04-05-2008, 02:58 AM

I know, it was just too easy to pick him.

nioin3k
04-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Religion has killed millions, if not billions of people, and it has no positive purpose that can't be accomplished within the realm of reality.

As for Tony Blair, he's using religion as a way to relate to the people, thus making him more popular, which is exactly what he wants if he's trying to get into such a position.

Or perhaps he's just a simple minded person that happens to belong to a rich family, thus is allowed to attend an expensive school.

Does a degree really make you a smarter person, or is it superficial?

Religion = Control. Governments like control.

Snee
04-05-2008, 03:08 AM

Here you could have done a joke about mackems. It could have worked.

callum
04-05-2008, 03:13 AM

Here you could have done a joke about mackems. It could have worked.

I would have if i thought geordies were any better :shifty:

Snee
04-05-2008, 03:14 AM
:lol:

callum
04-05-2008, 03:17 AM
I'd better go before bo finishes his break :ghey:

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 09:55 AM

They're not still in 4 competitions, they've already won the CIS Cup. So up yours, hunboy.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Or perhaps he's just a simple minded person that happens to belong to a rich family, thus is allowed to attend an expensive school.

If you don't already know the answers to these questions you have already proven yourself not worthy of discussing anything with. This isn't America like, simple minded people do not attend said "school" and go on to become Barristers simply by belonging to a rich family. They attend a polytechnic and go on to become an Accountant.

Perhaps you are just ignorant and uneducated. Have you considered formal religion as a lifestyle choice. All of the best people are doing it.

Like I said, believe in God or not. Support religion or not. That's a matter for everyone. However your suggestion that only the ignorant and uneducated are religious is frankly mentalist.

thewizeard
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM

Yes

..Perhaps ..but then one must consider the following; many people who might have an argument with you, will not kill you for it, as otherwise they believe that they might not go to heaven, but to hell. So in many ways religion has a social function. On the other hand there are some, that if you even dare to draw their Prophet on paper; they will deem that dis-respectful and possibly attempt to make a quick end on your life.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes

..Perhaps ..but then one must consider the following; many people who might have an argument with you, will not kill you for it, as otherwise they believe that they might not go to heaven, but to hell. So in many ways religion has a social function. On the other hand there are some, that if you even dare to draw their Prophet on paper; they will deem that dis-respectful and possibly attempt to make a quick end on your life.

Exactly, that's why sweeping generalisations don't work. A lot of people's social conscience is based on their religious teachings.

How much of the good in the world today is done in the name of religion. How many people are alive today because some uneducated ignorant Christian dug a well and thee was clean water available where there never was before. Or taught in a school (even though they themselves were uneducated and ignorant)and helped educate people. Who then went on to educate others.

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Religion was once necessary as a form of governance. It made a good substitute for a constitution and the regulation of public life, back when life was so shitty that being thrown in prison for transgressions or being ostracised was no deterrant to aberrant behaviour. When life is that shitty the only thing you can control people with is the fear of the flames of hell licking your ringpiece for all eternity. Now we have political structure, and religion is relegated to primarily forming a social identity.

When someone screams and shouts in the street, burning effigies and threatening people with violent fatwas because they drew a picture the protestors don't like, I don't for a minute believe it's got a thing to do with standing up for God. It's simply a protest at people not showing the deference you believe your social club deserves.

manker
04-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Some stuff written in religious scripture is good.

If you like, you can read it. There might be occasions where you'll think; 'That's a good thing'. The people who wrote it were, by and large, clever chaps who thought a lot about values and how people should live their lives. In fact, most of them dedicated their entire lives to theorising about just that and then writing it down.

Of course, there's some absolute pish too and some is irrelevant in contemporary society - but if you can read it with an open mind and take the bits that suggest how to improve the way you treat other people and the way in which you think about yourself, then it might just work for you and improve your life somewhat. It will, at the very least, make you more informed about what millions of other people hold dear to them.

You don't have to believe in a superior being, a creator - I certainly don't - but that's not to say that religion is useless. Don't just say religion is bad without reading about what it tries to teach 'cos, as I said, some, no, most of it is good stuff.

C-mos
04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
half of the bible isn't true..

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Some stuff written in religious scripture is good.

If you like, you can read it. There might be occasions where you'll think; 'That's a good thing'. The people who wrote it were, by and large, clever chaps who thought a lot about values and how people should live their lives. In fact, most of them dedicated their entire lives to theorising about just that and then writing it down.

Of course, there's some absolute pish too and some is irrelevant in contemporary society - but if you can read it with an open mind and take the bits that suggest how to improve the way you treat other people and the way in which you think about yourself, then it might just work for you and improve your life somewhat. It will, at the very least, make you more informed about what millions of other people hold dear to them.

You don't have to believe in a superior being, a creator - I certainly don't - but that's not to say that religion is useless. Don't just say religion is bad without reading about what it tries to teach 'cos, as I said, some, no, most of it is good stuff.

This is what I was saying about the use of religion as a civilising influence on a barbaric era in civilisation. Most of the tenets of all faiths have already been enshrined in democratic law in a secular way in Britain......all the important ones anyway. Religion is a relic...like the appendix, a vestigial remnant of man's evolution.

Like you I already accept a lot of the moral codes of religion into my life. My dad always said that you don't need to go to church. You just have to follow what Jesus teaches and you'll be ok. He believed as I do that Jesus was a revolutionary, not the son of God. You don't need to have religion to have morality and ethics.....and I would say that if it takes the fear of a wrathful creator to adopt them then that makes you a pretty abysmal human being. There are times when it really amuses me that people I've met who call themselves Christians seem to have fewer moral standards than I do, and think that as long as they accept that they are weak and throw themselves upon God for understanding and forgiveness it's ok. It's a lot tougher to look yourself in the mirror as your own moral guardian and make excuses to yourself. There can be no harder judge of you than you.

The only things religion can possibly offer now in the modern era are a) a way to reinforce group bonding...to set yourself apart from groups of other people b) If you have a shitty life to give you hope and a belief that you've suffering for a reason c) to give you comfort when you're lonely or frightened. And really, for the last two society/humanity should be ashamed that people have been forced into that.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who doesn't believe in God. Or for those who do believe in Her not wishing to be part of a particular religion. To each their own, it's beliefs we're talking about here. Even the Pope has said that we (Catholics) do not have a monopoly on truth.

What I do object to is people saying that those who believe in God or who follow the teachings of a particular religion must be ignorant and uneducated. I know plenty of people who believe in God who are neither of these things. I know of plenty who are exceptionally well educated and intelligent. I also know plenty of atheists who aren't going to cut themselves thinking.

To each their own and a bit of respect for other people's beliefs, that's the ticket.

Something Else
04-05-2008, 12:50 PM
What about people who say grownups shouldn't have imaginary friends.
Are they being judgmental. :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
What about people who say grownups shouldn't have imaginary friends.
Are they being judgmental. :unsure:

You still think Allen5 is real don't you.

Something Else
04-05-2008, 01:00 PM
:earl: :lol:

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who doesn't believe in God. Or for those who do believe in Her not wishing to be part of a particular religion. To each their own, it's beliefs we're talking about here. Even the Pope has said that we (Catholics) do not have a monopoly on truth.

What I do object to is people saying that those who believe in God or who follow the teachings of a particular religion must be ignorant and uneducated. I know plenty of people who believe in God who are neither of these things. I know of plenty who are exceptionally well educated and intelligent. I also know plenty of atheists who aren't going to cut themselves thinking.

To each their own and a bit of respect for other people's beliefs, that's the ticket.

First of all I would like to hear an intelligent person explain to me what their understanding of the concept of 'religion' is, because when I've had discussions with intelligent people who say they follow a faith in the past it's become apparent that they don't actually have the correct understanding of it.

For instance, Wiki says this is the definition of religion:

A religion is a set of beliefs and practices often organized around supernatural and moral claims, and often codified as prayer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer), ritual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual), and religious law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_law). Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradition), writings, history, and mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology), as well as personal faith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith) and mystic experience (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism). The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction.

If I ask them however if for instance they believe that when they take the sacrament that the wine and wafer turn into the body and blood of Christ in their mouths, they umm and aah. Or if I ask them if they believe the Earth is only thousands of years old, they'll say 'well not exactly'.

To my mind the whole point of religion is that you follow a doctrine. Each religion has its own doctrine. You either follow that and call yourself a member of that faith or you don't and you don't. There can be no grey areas, or you're creating a new religion for yourself.

If someone did profess to be intelligent and claim that the Earth was thousands of years old I would argue that.

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 01:13 PM
There can be no grey areas, or you're creating a new religion for yourself.

Surely that's not right...life is all grey areas isn't it ? Isn't this merely about interpretation and/or perception ? Like so many things ?

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 02:57 PM
That depends. Would you say the colour of the sky is blue, or is it just a matter of perception?

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd say that depends on whether it's day or night, and what the weather conditions are ;)

Would you say that all Christians should go around smiting unbelievers ?

Biggles
04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
There can be no grey areas, or you're creating a new religion for yourself.

Surely that's not right...life is all grey areas isn't it ? Isn't this merely about interpretation and/or perception ? Like so many things ?

Obviously life is full of grey areas if one is looking at things objectively. However, if one becomes say a Baptist the other members might look askance if you say "obviously I don't believe in a literal God" That point is non-negotiable as far as they are concerned. In some churches Noah's Ark, talking snakes and fruit that confers knowledge of good and evil are also non-negotiable. However there is always the CofE bless :)

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Obviously life is full of grey areas if one is looking at things objectively. However, if one becomes say a Baptist the other members might look askance if you say "obviously I don't believe in a literal God" That point is non-negotiable as far as they are concerned. In some churches Noah's Ark, talking snakes and fruit that confers knowledge of good and evil are also non-negotiable. However there is always the CofE bless :)

Well it did Mother Teresa no harm ;)

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd say that depends on whether it's day or night, and what the weather conditions are ;)

I would say that if a doctrine says you should do something you should either do it and assign yourself that religion or not do it and not.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Believe in a god or do something else.

fixed.

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Ah! So you think all Muslims should set about trying to kill you then ?

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Ah! So you think all Muslims should set about trying to kill you then ?

Yeah, that's exactly what I think.

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:16 PM
And you think that Christians should control the Holy land ?

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, that as well.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Obviously anything which is an item of dogma within a specific religion is by definition non-negotiable. However there are also areas of theological uncertainty. These areas however cannot by definition parts of the central beliefs of that religion, that just wouldn't make sense.

Me for example, I'm not particularly concerned about much of the Old Testament. I'm more interested in the New Testament and in particular the teachings of Christ. To me that's what being a Christian means.

Proper Bo
04-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Some of it's pish but it's what it teaches ewe that matters.

fixed. summarized.

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 04:20 PM
:lol::earl:

Biggles
04-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Keep Scotland out of this :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 04:22 PM
More "some of it's meh" but your way of putting it was better.

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that as well.
So when do you want the holy wars to commence ?

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, that as well.
So when do you want the holy wars to commence ?

Well, hopefully not for the next couple of hours because I've got the dinner on.

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

I'm not sure it's possible to keep the cause of all trouble out of any argument ;)

manicgeek
04-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Well, hopefully not for the next couple of hours because I've got the dinner on.

And it says in your belief system that holy wars cannot be fought through dinner time does it :lol:

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Bored now.....

Biggles
04-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to keep the cause of all trouble out of any argument ;)

Fair point well presented.

I vote the Holy War is put off till better weather though.

Biggles
04-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Bored now.....

Now if we could bottle that and send it out to the ME :shifty:

Septimus
04-05-2008, 07:49 PM
may be i donīt care

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
That comment really wasn't worth pressing my mouse button for. Or writing this for that matter :dry:.

Barbarossa
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Sorry about that, like.

Might be balamm you're thinking of. It took babrbie a name change and several years, before anyone noticed his posts like.

I'd be upset by this comment but unfortunately it's completely accurate :emo:

It's better than being mixed up with The :dry:

Barbarossa
04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
It took babrbie a name change and several years, before anyone noticed his posts like.

Good point, I was like "what? Who's this then?" when he started running cheese's interwebs forum.

He only made me an admin because I said I'd sort out the rude word filter. True Story :smilie4:

Mr JP Fugley
04-05-2008, 08:03 PM

I'd be upset by this comment but unfortunately it's completely accurate :emo:

It's better than being mixed up with The :dry:
http://wagonized.typepad.com/wagonized/images/dubious_gorillette_4_blog.jpg

nioin3k
04-05-2008, 08:28 PM

If you don't already know the answers to these questions you have already proven yourself not worthy of discussing anything with. This isn't America like, simple minded people do not attend said "school" and go on to become Barristers simply by belonging to a rich family. They attend a polytechnic and go on to become an Accountant.

Perhaps you are just ignorant and uneducated. Have you considered formal religion as a lifestyle choice. All of the best people are doing it.

Like I said, believe in God or not. Support religion or not. That's a matter for everyone. However your suggestion that only the ignorant and uneducated are religious is frankly mentalist.

All the best people are doing it? What a joke. Do you define Mr. Blair as one of the best people?

Show me where I said that only the ignorant and uneducated are religious. I simply implied that many of them are, and it's true.

Why are you twisting my words? Why wont you reply to all of my comments and not just the ones you want to reply to?

You don't agree that religion can be used to relate to the people, and thus win popularity contests?

You don't agree that religion has killed millions of people, and has no positive purpose that can't be accomplished without it?

You don't agree that governments use, or at the very least have used religion as a way to control people?

You're welcome to cease your discussion with me, but I hope you'll bless me with your response.

JPaul
04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Indeed.

You're a bigot and an idiot.

Alien5
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/Darth-Vader-Pet-Costume-Star-Wars-Pet-Costume-(tm)_50103-lg.jpeg

nioin3k
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Indeed.

I assume you're referring to me?

Do you know the definition of those words?

Alien5
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
no but im sure were gonna blame you for everything anyways.

nioin3k
04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe I'm paranoid.

Go ahead and blame me, lol.

JPaul
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Indeed.

It takes a very special kind of idiot to not know I was referring to you.

nioin3k
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM

That's why I said I assume.

Perhaps you need to add more detail to your posts if you want people to be positive.

Apparently you don't know the definition of those words, because I am not a bigot or an idiot.

Maybe you're confused.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Go look up those words, take your time, you don't want to rush that little brain of yours.

I'll be back in a few hours to read your one sentence response, I expect a few insults.

JPaul
04-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Perhaps you need to add more detail to your posts if you want people to be positive.

Apparently you don't know the definition of those words, because I am not a bigot or an idiot.

Maybe you're confused.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Go look up those words, take your time, you don't want to rush that little brain of yours.

I'll be back in a few hours to read your one sentence response, I expect a few insults.

Read your own posts, you're the one who insulted people. The only reason I know you are an idiot is because you post like an idiot, so that's down to you. The only reason I know you're a bigot is because you post like a bigot, again that's down to you.

Oh and I'll reply to what I want, in whatever manner I want, be it one line or many. You'll notice that my replies to other people who are not religious but are also intelligent and tolerant are more comprehensive. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste my effort on bigoted idiots, so I'll bid you good day.

Squeamous
04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Ooooh, are you twirling your handlebar while you flounce, or just swooshing your skirts?

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 02:43 AM

Maybe you're confused.

Read your own posts, you're the one who insulted people. The only reason I know you are an idiot is because you post like an idiot, so that's down to you. The only reason I know you're a bigot is because you post like a bigot, again that's down to you.

Oh and I'll reply to what I want, in whatever manner I want, be it one line or many. You'll notice that my replies to other people who are not religious but are also intelligent and tolerant are more comprehensive. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste my effort on bigoted idiots, so I'll bid you good day.

Religion doesn't deserve respect and tolerance.

Do you respect the extremists that are killing innocent people in vain? Do you tolerate their beliefs?

Religion has negative and positive effects.

The positive effects that it has can be accomplished with far more peaceful methods.

What is the point of religion?

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Read the posts, idiot. I didn't ask anyone to respect God or religion. I specifically said that was a matter for the individual and was down to beliefs, to each their own. Why would I ask anyone to respect God if they don't believe She exists, or by extension religion which would then be in relation to something which doesn't exist.

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Read the posts, idiot. I didn't ask anyone to respect God or religion. I specifically said that was a matter for the individual and was down to beliefs, to each their own. Why would I ask anyone to respect God if they don't believe She exists, or by extension religion which would then be in relation to something which doesn't exist.

More hollow insults. I don't even remember what you were talking about, nor do I care enough to check.

It's going to end the same way. You're going to believe what you want to believe, because you're obstinate, and I'm going to believe what I want to believe, because I think it's the best way.

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 06:57 PM

More hollow insults. I don't even remember what you were talking about, nor do I care enough to check.

It's going to end the same way. You're going to believe what you want to believe, because you're obstinate, and I'm going to believe what I want to believe, because I think it's the best way.

:glag: You went to all that bother just to confirm your status as board idiot and bigot.

That's cute.

Particularly from someone who described billions of other people as uneducated and ignorant because they believe something different from him. It really is the most bigoted, idiotic position I've seen in ages.

Devout, proselytising Atheists are fan-tastic.

Biggles
04-06-2008, 07:06 PM

:glag: You went to all that bother just to confirm your status as board idiot and bigot.

That's cute.

Particularly from someone who described billions of other people as uneducated and ignorant because they believe something different from him. It really is the most bigoted, idiotic position I've seen in ages.

:snooty: It is bloody hard work passionately believing something isn't there. The most people can generally muster is a sort "meh whatever".....

or am I confusing most people with me again :unsure:

Snee
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Three religion-threads at the top of the lounge. Awesome.

:dry:

Snee
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Click once, get two posts now.

Brilliant.

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 07:11 PM

That's cute.

:snooty: It is bloody hard work passionately believing something isn't there. The most people can generally muster is a sort "meh whatever".....

It's the effort chaps put into convincing me, that's what's really impressive.

Bigot - God doesn't exist and religions is shite

Me - Fair enough, we'll each believe what we want. No worries.

Bigot - All people who are religious are ignoramuses and murdering cunts.

Me - Like I said, to each their own

Bigot - I fucking hate anyone who believes in religion they are all shite bastard cunt fucks.

Me - That's a bit harsh

Bigot - Don't insult me

chalice
04-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Bigot - I fucking hate anyone who believes in religion they are all shite bastard cunt fucks.

Me - That's a bit harsh

Bigot - Don't insult me

:earl

Geniousnessitude.

Proper Bo
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
My stance on the whurle subject:

believe what you want or do something else.

Ewe ignorant uneducated people who believe otherwise are all morans.

Proper Bo
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
see what I did there?:smilie4:

Biggles
04-06-2008, 07:16 PM
see what I did there?:smilie4:

:sneaky:

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Pretty much mine as well, which I have said on numerous occasions.

The fundamentalist Atheists seem to disagree. They give moderates like you a bad name.

Proper Bo
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM

The fundamentalist Atheists seem to disagree. They give moderates like you a bad name.

I concluded whilst off my tits once that I can't really be an atheist because although i really don't believe there is a god, there's no way to ever be a brazillion percent certain of anything ever. true story.

Biggles
04-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Fundamentalists of any stripe are a pain in the nuts. Fact!

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

That's cute.

You're twisting my words again.

I said that there are billions of uneducated and ignorant people on this planet, and it's true. They aren't uneducated and ignorant because they believe in religion.

If telling people what I think is the truth is recruiting, then I guess I'm recruiting. The only reason you think I'm trying so hard is because I have free time, and so do you.

You're the one getting so offended because I don't like religion. Maybe you should relax.

Call me a bigot, or an idiot, it doesn't matter what you think of me, but you should know by now that arguing with idiots isn't very productive.

Continue believing whatever you want to believe.

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Me - That's a bit harsh

Bigot - Don't insult me

You're twisting it again.

I wasn't nearly that anti-religion, and you weren't nearly that innocent.

Mr. Mulder
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh so you've got something against ignorant people now have you!! WELL!1 HAVE YOU!11!1? :angry:

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 07:28 PM

That's cute.

You're twisting my words again.

I said that there are billions of uneducated and ignorant people on this planet, and it's true. They aren't uneducated and ignorant because they believe in religion.

If telling people what I think is the truth is recruiting, then I guess I'm recruiting. The only reason you think I'm trying so hard is because I have free time, and so do you.

You're the one getting so offended because I don't like religion. Maybe you should relax.

Call me a bigot, or an idiot, it doesn't matter what you think of me, but you should know by now that arguing with idiots isn't very productive.

Continue believing whatever you want to believe.

I'm not getting offended at all. I'm laughing at you watching you make a cunt of yourself in public. Showing your levels of bigotry and idiocy over and over again.

It amuses me. I wouldn't do it to a non-bigot but you make yourself fair game so I don't feel bad about it.

Oh and I have a sort of mantra for these occasions. The posts are all there for people to read and make up their own minds. Who started the insults, who clearly didn't read the other people's posts. Who is bigoted and who is tolerant. It's all there.

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I suppose I'll have to take my own advice and stop arguing with idiots.

There has to be a more interesting thread elsewhere...

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Post in any thread, about anything, that will instantly make it funnier. True Story.

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Me - That's a bit harsh

Bigot - Don't insult me

You're twisting it again.

I wasn't nearly that anti-religion, and you weren't nearly that innocent.

Hyperbole > Superbowl eh.

Biggles
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Welcome to the Lounge btw

always nice to see a new face.

nioin3k
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM

Thank you.

I appreciate the welcome.

chalice
04-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Thank you.

I appreciate the welcome.

JP and Biggles are actually one in the same.

It's a good cop- bad cop kinda deal.

You will learn to love Biggles as a spot-on, profound fatherly genius. Soon into the relationship, he will ground you. By 'ground' I mean 'grind your bones to make his bread', as you will eventually discover that he is none other than the one and only MR. JP Fugley!!

'Wot a cunt', you will cry but it will all be too late and for nothing.

Or something else.