PDA

View Full Version : Public Giveaway's, Trading Invites

Something Else
04-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Same thing in my opinion.
They both = strangers (unknown quantities) being at the tracker.

Discuss, or do something else.

Invites are supposed to be for those you know and trust.

xJohnxSmithx
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
but if you have strict rules and can find good people then at least your trying to find good members and not just get ahead with no regard for the tracker.

Swift
04-05-2008, 08:58 AM
i think everyone started with some giveaway .. but low level trackers that are often open signup . I think for other more, how should I say great comunities, I think I would only invite trusted members or friends fi mine

Sanka113
04-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I completely agree in that i think it's no big deal to give away lower level often open sign up trackers. Even if they aren't open sign up they flood you with so many invites that its impossible to get rid of them all.

Now, with upper level trackers I don't always know what people that I know are good FST'ers need. I use giveaways to find out want my friends and other good FST need.

Most people understand that with a higher level invite they gotta do all they can to make sure they invite a higher level user. For the most part for upper level giveaways alot of members do a good job looking for good users and not giving them away blindly.

Swift
04-05-2008, 09:18 AM
i try to chose the best member .. maybe ask someone from my uper lvl trackers if he wants to join other sit`s

C-mos
04-05-2008, 09:23 AM
i try to chose the best member .. maybe ask someone from my uper lvl trackers if he wants to join other sit`s

and if the best member is a trader??
if he doesn't show it and then do it !! ?:)

predateur
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
some non trader or anti trader (who gives aways invites in public forums) thing they are good, but they just brok the tracker rules by doing this.
some other think giving invites is ok, but accounts is not good; LOL

Something Else
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
The levels have nothing to do with it.
There are plenty of invite forums on trackers where you can offer invites.
At least if you invite someone from one of those there is some kind of accountability.
Most users here seem to have multiple accounts. Often 1 for trading and 1 for anti-trading. :dabs:

Swift
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM

and if the best member is a trader??
if he doesn't show it and then do it !! ?:)

don`t worry i`ll check him out !

SAM
04-05-2008, 09:44 AM
there is a big difference between giveaways and trading invites
the main difference is when someone trades an invite he doesn't care who will give it to or what this person will do with it.but when you make a giveaway this is something else you put strict rules,you check the history of the members who applies for it and above all you will look for members who will improve your tracker community.
giving away invites is a good thing if you have rules that put it on the right path and i guess it's a bit harsh to compare it to trading.
But i think i know what you mean?
we see people here giving invites just to show off or to cover their trading activities or to let people know they are good sharers.
and that's look bad but there other people who are making giveaways to help their fellow members and their beloved trackers.
it's all about rules and how do you pick the ones you invite.

znik
04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Most people here have the false impression that the more you giveaway the better, in order to show you are a nice person, to get many rep. points and stand a chance to get other invites for free.

I think it's unfair though to put in the same basket someone who trades his account on a certain tracker to get an account/invite on another tracker, with someone who tries to find a suitable invitee out of a giveway.
The former doesn't care about the consequences of bringing a bad user whereas the latter knows that he will lose his account or invite privileges.

Of course the best thing would be to invite real life friends you know very well and teach them the basics, but then again not everyone has real life friends torrenting to invite them or to be invited.

As for giveaways on trackers' forums you don't know the members there either and some of them still have multiple accounts and/or are traders. :dabs:

Swift
04-05-2008, 10:04 AM
thats exactly what they think :D more low lvl giveaway more change to get ftn

this day`s you don`t know who to trust ...

Something Else
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I can't disagree with that znik.
As far as the difference between trading/ giving away is, sure there is a difference.
I shouldn't have grouped them so tightly together. However with the rep point system it is hard to differentiate.
Speaking from a staff perspective I don't mind anyone joining iTS provided there is some sort of accountability for them should they break the rules.
That's why we ask for profiles from other accounts when inviting people.

barakokula
04-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Well,i've seen it many times...most of ppl do giveaways untill they get all the trackers they need. Once they get it,they don't care anymore. It's like a trade,just not a direct one. I give,i receive points,and with that points i'm more likely do get some other invite i want. And i can be a 'no-trader' and be 'against' it and be on my 'high horse' all the time. It's pathetic. :D

C-mos
04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Well,i've seen it many times...most of ppl do giveaways untill they get all the trackers they need. Once they get it,they don't care anymore. It's like a trade,just not a direct one. I give,i receive points,and with that points i'm more likely do get some other invite i want. And i can be a 'no-trader' and be 'against' it and be on my 'high horse' all the time. It's pathetic. :D

+10000000 :yup:

Cruel
04-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't compare it to trades, still I don't like giveaways. I got plenty of invites now but I'm waiting until I find someone requesting it that I feel that just didn't juse the tracker from a list I wrote (together with the usual things of course)

Something Else
04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess the main point I want to get across is:

-Users think that giveaway's will help them reach the trackers they are after when in actual fact it makes most staff members see them as no different than the traders.
The rep points are 'trading reps' after all to most of us.
What better way to join somewhere than be invited by a staff member. :smilie4:

Horatiu
04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, but unfortunately not all stafflers are like you :eyebrows:

IdolEyes787
04-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Most users here seem to have multiple accounts. Often 1 for trading and 1 for anti-trading. :dabs:

I had no idea.
Boy am I naive.
Is that why no one puts anything about themselves in their profile too?

HDR
04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
there is a big difference between giveaways and trading invites
the main difference is when someone trades an invite he doesn't care who will give it to or what this person will do with it.but when you make a giveaway this is something else you put strict rules,you check the history of the members who applies for it and above all you will look for members who will improve your tracker community.
giving away invites is a good thing if you have rules that put it on the right path and i guess it's a bit harsh to compare it to trading.
But i think i know what you mean?
we see people here giving invites just to show off or to cover their trading activities or to let people know they are good sharers.
and that's look bad but there other people who are making giveaways to help their fellow members and their beloved trackers.
it's all about rules and how do you pick the ones you invite.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he say.

I think i can't added more since he already said what i think.:yup::rolleyes:

I guess the main point I want to get across is:

-Users think that giveaway's will help them reach the trackers they are after when in actual fact it makes most staff members see them as no different than the traders.
The rep points are 'trading reps' after all to most of us.
What better way to join somewhere than be invited by a staff member. :smilie4:

So you say the Rep points are trading points. So all the rep points o have are from trading? Geez i never traded and never will, so how did i get the rep points? Anyway i see the rep points more as a "Help points" instead of what you say "trade points". But everyone has different opinions. :unsure:

Polarbear
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
benchez is right. i would never invite someone with 50+ rep points.

90% of them are traders and the other 10% throw around accounts and invites to random people.

all you guys who think that a lot of rep points open the doors to high level trackers - you are very wrong.

earn trust and respect, that will make people invite you.

C-mos
04-05-2008, 11:30 AM
both benchez and polarbear are right
earn trust and respect

Something Else
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
So you say the Rep points are trading points. So all the rep points o have are from trading? Geez i never traded and never will, so how did i get the rep points? Anyway i see the rep points more as a "Help points" instead of what you say "trade points". But everyone has different opinions. :unsure:

They are not specifically trade points, but definitely not ''Help points''

Giving A Point To A Member

Points can be given to those who give free invites.
Points can be given to those you make trades with.

If you are giving them for people being helpful you are breaking the rule.

Blistered
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Hmm. I do understand your point, but I think by default and the whole nature and excitement of gaining access to a 'high level tracker' after a generous giveaway, more often than not the user will want to treat that account well, get the content they hoped for and keep the ratio up. I would never deny that there are idiots who will abuse an account for fun or just use it to push their way up the 'levels' but I honestly think that the whole satisfaction of getting an invite logically means most users will treat that account well and gratefully.

In conclusion, I think that giveaways, though never without risk, are actually a really nice part of the torrent community and can produce very positive and valued users to a community. And if it weren't for giveaways, then I wouldn't have access to some great trackers that alternatively I would have missed out on. And as we speak I have my torrent client open seeding relentlessly trying to up my ratio on some of these trackers as not to lose my access!

Why would you want to lose access to something you waited so long to get into? To me, it's just logical for the standard user here.

Sanka113
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Another thing:

Quite honestly, I don't make standalone request threads, and probably never will because every invite that i get IS from a giveaway. Giveaways are the only time that I feel that it is ok to ask for an account.

I mean idk about most of you, but for the guys I consider "friends" I don't ask them for invites, and they even mention them to them. Through a giveaway is the only time is the only time they know that, oh, Sanka needed an invite to XYZ, why didn't he ask? Well,I just don't do that.

Now lets, talk about low level giveaways. Now some of them, make that most of them, are merely for rep points. For me, i gave low level invites away because thats all I had. Seeing all the giveaways that are done daily in conjunction to all the stuff I got though giveaways, gave me the urge to give back what I could, even if it wasn't much. As I've become more experienced I've got better trackers and with those trackers came better but slightly more strict giveaways.

Like I said before, I use giveaways to find me a hopefully experienced and kind field of candidates. If I don't find anybody that is suitable, i simply just don't give out the invite.

Giveaways, are a little more complex than trading in that it's hard to gage what the intentions of the giveaway is. Is it to rep up? Is it to help cover your trading dirt? is it because you have a bunch of low level invites thats you don't need? is it because as an experienced member all your "friends" have those invites already? or is it because you actually want to give back to a community that has given so much to you?

In the end it all just matters on the person giving it. If any of you anti givers were a part of a closed bittorrent community, you'd see how true giving works. We don't operate on rep points, we operate on just supporting our community. Whats wrong with doing that here?

Thanks for reading! :)

SAM
04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
well,
Let's be fair here.
1- the rep point system here really needs some mending.cause you can't differ between people who earn their points from trading or from helping other members out.
i got some of my rep points from helping ppl out not for giving away invites but from giving away advice when it needed.
2-giving away invites can be a bad thing if and only if the trackers staff handing out invites to people who they think they deserve it and make it known that they are doing that.
this way giving away invites will lost its purpose but trackers stuff coming here saying giveaways are wrong and a bad thing and they don't do anything except of baning members who made public giveaways.
3-trading whatever it is,is the most dangerous threat to any private trackers.it will bring cheaters and scamers and more it will destroy the concept of security and privacy that these trackers are founded up on in the first place.

stoi
04-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I completely agree in that i think it's no big deal to give away lower level often open sign up trackers. Even if they aren't open sign up they flood you with so many invites that its impossible to get rid of them all.

Now, with upper level trackers I don't always know what people that I know are good FST'ers need. I use giveaways to find out want my friends and other good FST need.

Most people understand that with a higher level invite they gotta do all they can to make sure they invite a higher level user. For the most part for upper level giveaways alot of members do a good job looking for good users and not giving them away blindly.

Higher level doesnt mean its a better tracker than a lower level one.

this is what pisses me off, ah well that tracker has 50,000 members, doesnt matter if they get any more scum in, i can invite who i like and even those i dont like, But.. this tracker only has 1,000 members i better be really picky and choosy who i invite to this tracker.

Higher level just means they want more security, not that they dont want noobs in, they probably would welcome the odd noob now and again tbh.

the lvls are shit and give the wrong impression completely about what tracker staff of those trackers want. the lvl 9 trackers are not trying to be elitist, and only ever get member`s that have been in the torrenting scene for years in (christ someone thats been torrenting for a day, can know just as much if not more than someone thats been torrenting for 5 years, its not rocket science). they just want security (wehter thats right or wrong is up to them).

Other trackers want to make a huge community, loads of seeds/peers and snatches on the torrents (as thats what filesharing is all about, to share) but also have good members in that lot, they have got the 300,000 noobs in in a year and taught them how to do it, or chucked them out if they didnt listen, but they want just as good members as those that are lvl 9.

anto
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM

90% of them are traders and the other 10% throw around accounts and invites to random people.

all you guys who think that a lot of rep points open the doors to high level trackers - you are very wrong.

i agree even doh i don't have 50+ rep points i have been given invites to site's and i keep up my ratio:D

renwickftw
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Invites are meant to be given out to friends and to people you trust, not to some random stranger. Nor are they meant to be traded for other invites.

C-mos
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM

i agree even doh i don't have 50+ rep points i have been given invites to site's and i keep up my ratio:D

this has nothing to do with ratio :01:

Sanka113
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM

this is what pisses me off, ah well that tracker has 50,000 members, doesnt matter if they get any more scum in, i can invite who i like and even those i dont like, But.. this tracker only has 1,000 members i better be really picky and choosy who i invite to this tracker.

Higher level just means they want more security, not that they dont want noobs in, they probably would welcome the odd noob now and again tbh.

the lvls are shit and give the wrong impression completely about what tracker staff of those trackers want. the lvl 9 trackers are not trying to be elitist, and only ever get member`s that have been in the torrenting scene for years in (christ someone thats been torrenting for a day, can know just as much if not more than someone thats been torrenting for 5 years, its not rocket science). they just want security (wehter thats right or wrong is up to them).

Other trackers want to make a huge community, loads of seeds/peers and snatches on the torrents (as thats what filesharing is all about, to share) but also have good members in that lot, they have got the 300,000 noobs in in a year and taught them how to do it, or chucked them out if they didnt listen, but they want just as good members as those that are lvl 9.

I agree that a lower level tracker isn't truly "better" than a higher level one. I was just pointing out that in loosely given invites out, their members go and do the same. Like you said they do this to keep having new people to join in on the filesharing fun, and they do that by being open sign up or by giving members tons of invites out to give.

Since those invites are so plentiful you see more of these types of invites given more freely than say a level 5 invite. These low level giveaways unfortunately create the stigma that ALL giveaways are just as loose, and thats not always true.

Polarbear
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Why would you want to lose access to something you waited so long to get into?

ask that question people in the invite section who break tracker rules on a daily basis.

account dealers get banned all the time. in fact they like it. then they have a new challenge to sneak back in.

lonely little boys at home - hardcore torrent gangsta account traders that nobody can catch (they think) here.

all a bunch of teenage wannabes with no social life who adopted images from american gangster movies and know sexuality from watching porn. :lol:

mrnobody
04-05-2008, 12:56 PM
With trading you don't have much option for whom to trade with. However, with giveaway u have plenty of options. In trade, you are inclined to trade with ABC because he is the only one who is offering you the tracker you are looking for. Again, in giveaway, that is not the case. You can add up rules to your giveaway and filter out bunch of bad apples...and probably have a good user as ur winner.

So what I am trying to say is, there can be a big difference between public giveaway and trading invites...it all depends on inviter. But most of the time giveaway are random...and in that case there isn't much difference between public giveaway and trading invites.

stoi
04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Ive already done this post somewhere, but it probably got lost.

In a perfect world this is how invites should work.

btw for this, lets scrap those stupid lvls.

you join a private tracker thats open signup.

someone spots you doing a good job, wether thats just uploading/ratio/community whatever.

they PM and ask if you would like to join another tracker, they then send you an invite.

you do well there, and you also go back to your first tracker and find someone there for your invite to your new tracker.

your inviter sees you are doing good, and that your invitee is doing good, so invites you to another tracker (obviously the inviter has someone above him as well doing the same as him)

and it works like that all the way along the line.

but you still go back to the very first tracker you joined, and keep inviting those to the 2nd tracker you joined and so it goes on.

think of it like a pyramid scheme, but without the hastles and the cash involved.

the problem now with the above is.

Forums like FST, you could get into a good tracker at your first request, and you may never get anyone into other trackers from that tracker, just use FST all the time.

or you just forget your routes, and let your old account on your first tracker die, which breaks the chain.

imo there should be no invites giving away on public forums full stop, it should all be done within the trackers.

Swift
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
got to agree with stoi with how invites should be handed out... hand by hand not to be seld or traded or something else ppl do @ forums

Polarbear
04-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Ive already done this post somewhere, but it probably got lost.

In a perfect world this is how invites should work.

btw for this, lets scrap those stupid lvls.

you join a private tracker thats open signup.

someone spots you doing a good job, wether thats just uploading/ratio/community whatever.

they PM and ask if you would like to join another tracker, they then send you an invite.

you do well there, and you also go back to your first tracker and find someone there for your invite to your new tracker.

your inviter sees you are doing good, and that your invitee is doing good, so invites you to another tracker (obviously the inviter has someone above him as well doing the same as him)

and it works like that all the way along the line.

but you still go back to the very first tracker you joined, and keep inviting those to the 2nd tracker you joined and so it goes on.

think of it like a pyramid scheme, but without the hastles and the cash involved.

the problem now with the above is.

Forums like FST, you could get into a good tracker at your first request, and you may never get anyone into other trackers from that tracker, just use FST all the time.

or you just forget your routes, and let your old account on your first tracker die, which breaks the chain.

imo there should be no invites giving away on public forums full stop, it should all be done within the trackers.

you are right, stoi. and from my experience this really works.

the only problem is, once you gotten an account via trading or in a public giveaway, you can't be active in the tracker community anymore. the constant fear of being caught and banned doesn't allow you to be a part of it. you need to stay undercover.

that's why i won't stop saying to the newcomers:

do not trade from the beginning and do not accept other people's accounts!!!

it's a vicious circle that you can't escape from.

psychophil
04-05-2008, 01:19 PM
In the most part I agree with you stoi.
But I have been torrenting for about 5 years, and mainly only used large community trackers (bitsoup, ILT, Suprnova, Lokitorrent, Demonoid deceased).
That is until the last year when I became a member of FST, here I learnt alot about how trackers function and their communities.
I now understand the need for security, and in some cases secrecy.
But I know (not blowing my own trumpet) that I am a trustworthy person, who finds it difficult to understand Why other people cheat or trade.
Just to say that other people may not know me that well, so I still find it difficult obtain access to great trackers.:blink:
Hope that made sense,:shutup:
I'm trying to watch the Arsenal vs Liverpool game and type at the same time.
Anyway I don't believe in trading, but giveaways to the right people is in my opinion fine.:fst:

Something Else
04-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes, good comments, stoi. That way really can and does work I believe.

If it's not your name on the account then you are hiding and won't be free to be a part of the community.

One problem is that some trackers are run by people who trade themselves. :dabs:

Someone offered me their account somewhere yesterday for some reason. They wanted nothing in return. Of course I refused.
I think most would have found that hard to do because it was supposedly desirable. LeuLinks or something. :dabs: (A direct DL site I think)

BOOM
04-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I think that give aways invites is a nice way 4 some users start yours "torrent life"...but the problem is that you don`t know enough the persons who ur inviting ...

I don`t trust in all ratio proofs posted here..that`s why i just give away my invites on tracker`s forums ;)

pone44
04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I totally agree,sorry that i ddi none, but thats how i feel too.:fst:

Discuss, or do something else.

Invites are supposed to be for those you know and trust.

anto
04-05-2008, 01:28 PM

this has nothing to do with ratio :01:

ok scrape the ratio part;)

SAM
04-05-2008, 01:29 PM
This debate can go for ever but i guess instead of bitching about trading and public giveaways.I guess we should do something about it.
now.
i'll give you an example here
let's say Tudor is a good user and don't trade and will contribute to any tracker if he will become a member in it.
Now Tudor wanted to get in BCG but Tudor has no friends that can give him invites and Tudor is a good use and doesn't trade.
Tudor thought and though then he found out he couldn't get in.Why?
Cause only Elite members there have invites and he doesn't know any so he came here and FST.He made a search and found Stoj's giveaway thread.
Now he has the chance.now we give him hope
but let's say there is no such giveaway this means he will never get in.
so is giving Tudor a chance or a hope is a bad thing.should we deprive people from such chance?
Now stoj did the right thing when he made this giveaways since then people who trading BCG are less than there were in the past.
why?cause he closed the way to traders and open another way for people who want to get in.
They can request and he can choose.If all trackers do the same thing.There will be no need for public giveaways by members.
but most of them don't.
only FTN,FSC,BCG,NB,ITS and at last SCT That make such a thing but the rest don't and they don't even care so the normal user or any member won't care either.Why should he?.
Slogans and principles are not for showing off.They are for practice.
So let's clean them and do some action.

stoi
04-05-2008, 01:29 PM
the problem is, members think, why should i be resposible for the invitee, and then they are up in arms when a tracker bans them for inviting 5 cheaters or traders in a row.

I wonder how many members here can look back on all their trackers, at all their invite trees, and remember who each and everyone is, and where you got them from.

I bet not many, and i bet a lot of the inviters, invite and then never speak to the invitee again.

Well thats not community, its like getting invited to a party by someone, you get there and they ignore you all night, and your sitting there on your tod looking around sheepishly.

Inviters should take a lot more notice of their invitees imo, guide them into the community, introduce them to the community even, make the first move, this will give the invitee the confidence to get involved, and not think he has just been left out to dry.

but the above will never happen now, more is the pitty. Invites are like currency, or an e-penis extension, its only an invite for christ sake and its only a tracker, wether its lvl 1 or lvl 10 its still just a poxy tracker for bittorrent.

anto
04-05-2008, 01:33 PM
the problem is, members think, why should i be resposible for the invitee, and then they are up in arms when a tracker bans them for inviting 5 cheaters or traders in a row.

I wonder how many members here can look back on all their trackers, at all their invite trees, and remember who each and everyone is, and where you got them from.

I bet not many, and i bet a lot of the inviters, invite and then never speak to the invitee again.

Well thats not community, its like getting invited to a party by someone, you get there and they ignore you all night, and your sitting there on your tod looking around sheepishly.

Inviters should take a lot more notice of their invitees imo, guide them into the community, introduce them to the community even, make the first move, this will give the invitee the confidence to get involved, and not think he has just been left out to dry.

but the above will never happen now, more is the pitty. Invites are like currency, or an e-penis extension, its only an invite for christ sake and its only a tracker, wether its lvl 1 or lvl 10 its still just a poxy tracker for bittorrent.

i agree plus i keep track of anyone i invite to trackers. not bosting :dry:

danio
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I used to make public giveaways here at FST, but once i tasted the bitterness of losing accounts for making a mistake and inviting a bad user (dupe accounts on FST to hide your trading activities sucks :(). Since then i handpick users i feel that i can trust and that i think will be good users on a site, and handle it in PM. That method is a lot safer, and you don't risk being perceived as a publicity whore. :)

ananthsmys
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi

Scrap the Levels and rep points . One more thing that should be
scraped is the users showing torrent userbars in thier signature.
If u are member Of a X, Y andZ site so what.

Terminating the levels will minimize the number of people running
after trackers for levels.

Secondly by scrapping Rep Points people will not do a giveaway only for
reps. People will do a giveaway only if it is necessary.

Third point please ask all the users to remove the userbars.

One Last Point . This is the one of the best threads I have read on FST .

Nemrod
04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I donīt think both things are the same, but I do think both things are bad.
Trading is about greed.
Giveaways it has to do more with being irresponsible.

soulreaper
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Trading is about greed.

With a rep point system,giveaways can also be looked at from the same bad angle as one looks at trading IMO.:dabs:

J-dye
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
so the trackers that open signups like torrentbytes which allow total strangers to signup in their site are real dumb noobs ?

oooh the security . but they are still running without any anti piracy agency fucking it up

ffs its just a torrent site . so its better to invite a dumbfuck noob you know in the real life than someone you trust online who you are sure of having bittorrent knowledge ?

:glag:

stoi
04-05-2008, 04:13 PM
well from our POV.

if i was bothered about security, we wouldnt have 45,000 members or have had 320,000 members through our doors since Dec 2006.

the problem is we have had 320,000 members through our doors since Dec 2006 and we only have 45,000 members.

this means the 275,000 members, either cheated, traded, scammed, leeched, didnt like it, didnt know how we worked, just left etc etc.

and why should we keep opening, if 99% of the members we get in just dont care, all they want to do is get in and cheat or just not be a good member, and if they do get banned, they think, oh well i will just resign up and do it again.

and we dont have invites because they still need recoding, but we have that many changes and other things on the drawing board, its hard to find the time to do anything atm.

Nemrod
04-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Trading is about greed.

With a rep point system,giveaways can also be looked at from the same bad angle as one looks at trading IMO.:dabs:

That is debatable. :lol:
You canīt put the same label to everybody.
RP are like a double edge knife. A lot of Rep Points are nothing good at staffs eyes, having hundreds of RP itīs the best way for respected members and staff of any given site donīt take you seriously. That is what I think but I am not sure if itīs true.
Iīm nobody in this world but if tomorrow Iīd have invites to those so good and desired sites I think that many RP that would decrease the chance.

In the other hand, if you donīt care about that or you goal it is not to be recruited for very exclusive sites in a fair way and you only want to get what you want with other users, well, in that case it seems to work.

puckface
04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Its the exact same thing, getting someone into a tracker that you dont know, you can screen applicants all you want when you give stuff away, sad part is, people can act any way or fake anything they want.

With all the uproar against trading here, I find those that are against it and do giveaways to be highly hypocritical and just basically people who are self serving and dont think about the consequences of what they do.

anto
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
well from our POV.

if i was bothered about security, we wouldnt have 45,000 members or have had 320,000 members through our doors since Dec 2006.

the problem is we have had 320,000 members through our doors since Dec 2006 and we only have 45,000 members.

this means the 275,000 members, either cheated, traded, scammed, leeched, didnt like it, didnt know how we worked, just left etc etc.

and why should we keep opening, if 99% of the members we get in just dont care, all they want to do is get in and cheat or just not be a good member, and if they do get banned, they think, oh well i will just resign up and do it again.

and we dont have invites because they still need recoding, but we have that many changes and other things on the drawing board, its hard to find the time to do anything atm.

i understand the part in italic but there are alot of people looking to join ur site, maybe 60% of them might be there just to cheat but the other 40% wouldn't be.

grimms
04-05-2008, 06:00 PM
All I can say is earn your trust and respect from other members. I know it can be challenging at times to want to help out other people to make a good impression with good trusted members, but your intentions are sometimes misconstrued due to the fact that public giveaway's are in fact considered trading.

Also sometimes your making the community at said tracker worse by inviting a random person that you hardly know. What I can say is that most "Real Life" friends I know and most other people know nothing about Bittorrent or how it works.

The best you can do is get to know people online that knows how it works and in due time decide whether or not you can trust them. Asking for profile links to a few sites is a great way to measure how well said member is and is really doing as far as sharing and how he or her is in their respective communitites.

IdolEyes787
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
People must try to realize that the invite that you have in your greedy little hands in some ways does not really belong to you at all.
In a very real way it still belongs to the site in which you got it.
It came with a purpose and a very specific set of conditions attached and you should do your best to honour them.If you are reckless with it you may not suffer but they will.
Maybe you don't care but you should.
Many members here find it just too easy to gamble with other people's money.

grimms
04-05-2008, 06:32 PM
^^Good point. Also to all new members get to know the bittorrent world and all the rules involved. Especially on the particular tracker your apart of. It took me a few months after Oink.Me.UK shut down. For me to know whats considered right and wrong. I learned the majority of those things from FST.

LIMEROCK
04-06-2008, 06:57 AM
My thoughts:
This community ( private community) survives on invite trading it may have a few bad apples but it provided some people opportunity they may not have because where I live its rare to find other torrenters mostly faggotry using limewire and kaaza and invite trading provides me an opportunity to extend my reach on the web

The Changer
04-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I think that we need to trust in people even to get in to an upper level tracker

grimms
04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
^^:yup:

smc
04-06-2008, 09:54 AM

this is taken from FTNs faq.. a lvl 9 private tracker :
"This site has been put together from a variety of sources by the talented coders that we are fortunate to have here. Our goal is to become a top, elite, torrent site where quality and speed are never compromised. We will be the best."

obviously there goal is to be the best at what they do, an elite private tracker..(nothing is wrong with that though,, noobs like myself appreciate what they have accomplished).

like you said torrenting is not rocket science, any avg user can actually learn how to be a good memeber in a very short period of time(if they want to become good memebers!)..that means it doesn't matter if many noobs register in your site..what really matters is to get the right people.

this is what pisses me off here in fst.. a dumb fuck user (whether an owner of a torrent tracker or a n00b) disrespects another user for no good reason..instead of trying to solve the problem. when i see a stubborn dumb fuck who keeps disrespecting a member in a thread..and doesn't want to stop.. i will and of course many others will diss u or a site for being a bad user here in fst who keeps bitching and complaining.

sabre
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
All Invites Are Belong To Me

stoi
04-06-2008, 10:09 AM
well some sites do think they are gods gift and better than the rest, but its only torrenting for christ sake, if they went down tomorrow another 50 would spring up in their place, or if a new protocol came out we would all die overnight probably.

we are a good games tracker, but we will never be elite, there is just no room for elitism in the P2P scene imo, and people grow up or go onto other things, or just get bored of filesharing for any number of reasons, so that means you will always have to have some trackers that take the noobs, who then in turn become good members for these "elite" trackers.

but why should we keep doing that for them. let them do it themselves for a change.

and this is where the lvls are fecked up as well, because they are lvl 9 they think they are elite, we are lvl 4 but have a [10] so the best of the best at what we do, we cant go any higher in that respect, but we are no where near elite, or any better/worse than any other tracker out there.

J-dye
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
well some sites do think they are gods gift and better than the rest, but its only torrenting for fuck sake, if they went down tomorrow another 50 would spring up in their place, or if a new protocol came out we would all die overnight probably.

we are a good games tracker, but we will never be elite, there is just no room for elitism in the P2P scene imo, and people grow up or go onto other things, or just get bored of filesharing for any number of reasons, so that means you will always have to have some trackers that take the noobs, who then in turn become good members for these "elite" trackers.

but why should we keep doing that for them. let them do it themselves for a change.

and this is where the lvls are fecked up as well, because they are lvl 9 they think they are elite, we are lvl 4 but have a [10] so the best of the best at what we do, we cant go any higher in that respect, but we are no where near elite, or any better/worse than any other tracker out there.

:flowers::wub:

SAM
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
j-dye babe gimme a kiss :)

Sanka113
04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
well some sites do think they are gods gift and better than the rest, but its only torrenting for christ sake, if they went down tomorrow another 50 would spring up in their place, or if a new protocol came out we would all die overnight probably.

When people refer to a tracker being a level 1 tracker , I thinbk that most people are basing it off its difficulty in getting into that tracker. not so much on it's content, community etc. If levels where assigned by an average of all the category grades, the level institution would be turned upside down.

stoi
04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
you and i know that, 60% of others dont, or they do but they still "have to have them all", and the higher the lvl the more they are willing to sacrifice, or the more BT rep points they think they need.

Sanka113
04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I think we got to blame games like pokemon for the whole rarity and gotta to catch them all mentality.

Which brings me to a potential new sig:
"Invites are like pokemon, I gotta catch them all!"

anto
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
you and i know that, 60% of others dont, or they do but they still "have to have them all", and the higher the lvl the more they are willing to sacrifice, or the more BT rep points they think they need.

ok so if were to invite someone to ur site what would u be looking for bt rep point,

stoi
04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
from here, tbh i would prefer not to, but when i was giving com rep i was asked to do the odd giveaway on here, so thats what im doing.

tbh i never look at BT rep, either low/high/invisible.

i dont even care about speed tests/ratio proofs as both can be faked quite easily.

In my giveaway thread, i tend to come up with a good question, and the ones that answer how i think they should answer, will get a PM.

but it wont be everyone, maybe 5-10 members from every giveaway, idf i just got everyone in, then i couldnt do any more giveaways in the future lol.

anto
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
from here, tbh i would prefer not to, but when i was giving com rep i was asked to do the odd giveaway on here, so thats what im doing.

tbh i never look at BT rep, either low/high/invisible.

i dont even care about speed tests/ratio proofs as both can be faked quite easily.

In my giveaway thread, i tend to come up with a good question, and the ones that answer how i think they should answer, will get a PM.

but it wont be everyone, maybe 5-10 members from every giveaway, idf i just got everyone in, then i couldnt do any more giveaways in the future lol.

cool that's fair

The Flying Cow
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Well this has been a long thread, and I read it all.

I see many members have posted many times here, some like MiniMalistic posting mostly one-sentence (of something like 4 words) posts providing a lot of further food for thought.

But spam aside, and there's been it's fair shair of it here already, I frankly don't put too much (in fact none at all) importance on that Rep Point thing.

When I arrived here it didn't exist, and neither did this WTAW and WTO. There was no "level" or anything of that family. So it never really got to me. I'll be honest the first time I saw those threads I was reading and learning some "new" things about those trackers.

You see, you can have a perfectly successful bt life with a very few number of trackers, as long as they're good ones. There's no need to have a collection of 20 or more trackers, because that will really tie you to your desk (and chair).

So while a whole new generation of users signed into FST and started a whole new "atmosphere" of BT Rep and GA's and yo look at my trackers vibes I didn't really care.

As I've said in one of the request threads I made, BT Rep is a very artificial/superficial indicator of anything. In my view of anything but trustworthiness.

I know there's people here who make GA's with the right idea, and don't really give two hoots about the BT Rep (notice even though it's an FST rule people still make it a prerequisite in their invite away threads to give them rep, in the slimy "BT Rep won't hurt" way), but there's also a whole bunch who hand out their invites/accounts only to people with higher BT Rep or more posts (post history is obviously not checked with any measure of actual seriousness, because there's too many posts, and a quick check would reveal the work of a spam-bot) and finally better speedtests/ratio proofs. That's just superficial. He may have gotten the "dedibox screenie" upload proof from someone else, and there's no real way for you to check that, and the ratio proofs can easily be fiddled with (many cases now where fakers were caught showing ratio proofs of FTN, FTS (F******Scene), and UK-T that was a farce).

And I've already achieved some spots here and there in my time here @ FST, with absolutely no GA thread to date. I have helped he or she, via PM, where I saw a potentially good person, but I know exactly who to.

So there's your proof that there's no need for all these sugarcoatings. It's like rap nowadays, which has become just basically (at least the videos @ MTV) people showing off the rims on their expensive cars/jeeps, the huge size of their crib(s), the amount of cheap whores they sponsor, and the hydroponics they grow.

It's all a show. Not genuine, thus, naturally, a point for suspicion.

Snee
05-01-2008, 02:10 AM

I pretty much reckon this is all that needs to be said.

If I was to add anything, speaking from my own perspective, I'd have to say that public giveaways in forums dedicated to the trading and giving away of invites has to be among the least secure situations there is from the tracker's perspective.

You are bound to get lots and lots of people flocking to a place like this looking to score some invites, and in a place where you can count on people rewarding you with invites for being helpful, or showing some ratios off some other trackers or whatever, you are bound to get more than a few people willing to kiss some serious arse to get into where they want. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's possible to trust anyone they get to know in a place like it.

I reckon a public giveaway is bad enough, but on a board where people know there are invites you can count on getting lots of people pretending to be something they aren't for the express purpose of getting invites.

And when people are doing a giveaway to give something back to this community, that's probably not usually what the people running the tracker had in mind, especially if they frown on this type of place to begin with.

And we apparently get people collecting invites for its own sake as well. When the point of it all shifts from filesharing to that, there's something odd going on. Pretty sure that kind of thing doesn't help the tracker much, either.

I'm really not liking the fact that representatives from trackers are told they should do a giveaway now and then, (again) either. Making them take people in, in order to keep up goodwill with the staff here isn't cool.

ceasar
05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
I would say let's enforce teh rulez and BAN damn fcukers! 2 accounts not allowed on FST :frusty:

pone44
05-01-2008, 04:22 AM
thats why i have no rep-and hate trading! :)

(I)
05-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Public GAs = Irresponsibility

grimms
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
At first I thought helping people and doing giveaways to who I felt deserved to be invited was the way to go. But after further examination, being banned at certain trackers, and getting go sound advice from members and staff alike. Public giveaway's is probably not the best way to go. Members will start to realize this the more they get exposed to the bt world. Hopefully you'll learn this when you first start out.

Public Giveaways is perceived to be trading to most people which is bad for the community, scene, or whatever else you call people who congergate and enjoy perks like music, movies, ebooks, games, etc.. at trackers or in forums like this one.

Best thing to do is genuinely help people out and give back through private means cause you want to, feel the person your helping out can contribute, may be a great fit, adds value to the community, etc. Also making real good friends will help you immensely.

Best thing to do when starting off is analyze everything, do your research, read the rules, get a feel for the communities you join, and the people who interact within them. Also just be honest, real, and ask for answers to questions that need clarity.

Trading accounts for sure will never be the way to go though. Especially if you didn't earn it. (Someone elses trust was involved with the original owner of that account). We all have faults. Nobody is perfect. Don't act like cause your staff, an elite member, or cause you have it better then others that everyone else is wrong or hazardous cause they may lack the necessary knowledge, know how, or whatever else.

When I first started my original attentions was to get invited to the rabbit due to members of oink saying it was a great tracker. I knew nothing about levels, rules, having to post a certain amount, bt rep, points or whatever else that is gauged to see if you were or are a good member. I just knew what I wanted and I eventually took a deep liking to fst in my path to the rabbit. I also got to discover other excellent communities and trackers. Thanks to alot of good members within fst.

I just knew within that taking and trading accounts is wrong (for myself and my own morals, everyone is different, some could care less )As time went by I learned alot of valuable lessons, perceptions, and how to be a better community member who can be trusted. Trust is the most valuable quality you can have. If your not trusted you won't get anywhere unless you trade in(get lucky and hopefully not scammed).

Also consider yourself blessed and lucky if you are trusted (And really are a trustful person, only YOU will ultimately know if you are). My advice to any new members. Always respect and follow the rules of every single tracker, forum or community you are involved in.

It really doesn't matter if you don't agree with any or some of the rules when it comes to specific forums, trackers, non related bt forums and communities. If your not the owner or staff you have no say until the opinion polls come out.

You'll still have no say but you may be able to influence decisions and sway things which could better the community and make it better for all members involved Anyways thats my story and a very long one. Feel free to flame, agree, disagree, or whatever else.

maxpowersin
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow awesome thread... I have a few words to say though..

It's like every newbs dream to get into private trackers. Hell I myself used to drool by looking at those sites and dream myself of getting in there sooner or later. But the problem is the newbs have no friends who can invite them to those private trackers.. It doesn't matter if he maintains a good ratio and remains active in the community etc. He can't get in coz he doesn't know anyone there. Is this fair? or unfair? Also getting into elite trackers is also luck sometimes. I mean I got into pretty good sites. The ppl who invited me don't even remotely know me. I mean it's like "Hi you want a invite. Gimme a ratio proof". I send one and bam!! there comes the invite.. :D. Ultimately it's persistence that pays. Keep trying to get into a X site and you will get in it eventually...

Btw stoi seems to make excellent comments. I think he is too experienced.. Maybe he is 40 years old... :P

F.B.I
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I did the signup some days ago only, i don't know really how people are here but semms that some guys, from what i read, are afraid to giveaway invites.

Or because the mostly anti-traders here are traders or because they are cheaters or because they have more than one acc here... There's a lot of things that make someone think about giveaway or not.

You want an advice? Don't do it. Or if you want to be helpfull give those invites for a friend. Don't do it just because of the reputation points, they mean nothing, believe me. At this moment trackers are punishing those who giveaway invites so if you don't want to loose your acc anywhere just don't do it.