PDA

View Full Version : Telnet

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 08:41 AM
i've been mucking about with telnet this morning, checking email and sending email and such

i used an ip given out on another site i found on google. don't know if i'm allowed to post it, i'll post it anyway, and if it's inappropriate, can a mod remove it...thanks

192.168.1.1 25

now, i was using this ip happily enough to send anonymous emails (just to test, not doing anything naughty)

however, a friend of mine (board member, TClite) tried to use this same ip but couldn't connect

the only major difference between our situations is that he's on BT and i'm on freeserve

he tried turning off zone alarm, but still couldn't connect

does anyone know why this ip would not be able to be used on a bt line?

thanks in advance for any replies

p.s. we both have windows xp (i have home, he has pro)

shn
08-06-2003, 08:46 AM
192.168.x.x looks like a private or internal ip address. he cant connect to that. Its not the one that connects you to the net. Its assigned to you on your network.

4play
08-06-2003, 08:46 AM
192.168.1.1 25 is a local network adress. i bet none of your emails will have arrived.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 4play@6 August 2003 - 09:46
192.168.1.1 25 is a local network adress. i bet none of your emails will have arrived.
that's the funny thing, cos all of them did

:blink:

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 08:53 AM
here (http://www.secwiz.com/Default.aspx?tabid=46) is the page i used for info...

balamm
08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Did you have the person recieving the email check the source info?

If it's anything like my ISP they add headers to it anyway so that it's not really annonymous.

Anything I send from my SMTP server without using a registered domain will come out like (computer name)@prod.shaw.ca (the ISP's internal SMTP name) so while it seems to be annonymous and your IP may not be included, your computer name could be tracked back through the DNS servers if they wanted to.

That IP you posted is reserved to IANA.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 10:15
Did you have the person recieving the email check the source info?

If it's anything like my ISP they add headers to it anyway so that it's not really annonymous.

Anything I send from my SMTP server without using a registered domain will come out like (computer name)@prod.shaw.ca (the ISP's internal SMTP name) so while it seems to be annonymous and your IP may not be included, your computer name could be tracked back through the DNS servers if they wanted to.

That IP you posted is reserved to IANA.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/MSchumiFTP/hmmm.JPG

this is a pic of the code i used, and the email i received

the only thing i've taken out is the ip (mine?)

balamm
08-06-2003, 09:21 AM
If you have a private isp email and outlook or outlook express you'll maybe get a bit more info on the source.
The way you're doing it is fine for web based email but I suspect that an ISP based email would either not accept it or would backtrace it the best they could.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by balamm@6 August 2003 - 10:21
If you have a private isp email and outlook or outlook express you'll maybe get a bit more info on the source.
The way you're doing it is fine for web based email but I suspect that an ISP based email would either not accept it or would backtrace it the best they could.
i'm not doing it to be malicious...

i'm just curious to see if it works

there's software out there for anonymous emails anyway...i'm just wanting to see if it would work

are you saying i should try and email my freeserve account using the anonymous email address?
i've not tried that yet, i'll see how it goes

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 09:29 AM
ok, i just sent myself an email to my freeserve address

the reply to address is still [email protected], however, one of the ip's given looks remarkable close to mine

only the last segment is different

what does this mean?

i'm not too good with ip's and stuff... :">

balamm
08-06-2003, 09:44 AM
That would likely be your default gateway or the DNS server showing it's IP. Sometimes referred to as a downstream proxie i think.
It's still a bit close to home though, enough to clue someone in if you were trying to pull one over on them.

shn
08-06-2003, 09:45 AM
No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subnet is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip. Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by shn@6 August 2003 - 10:45
No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subdomain is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip. Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.
how is it possible for me to send emails using this ip then?

thanks for the reply balamm...

shn
08-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+6 August 2003 - 03:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 6 August 2003 - 03:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@6 August 2003 - 10:45
No private internal ip address like a 192.168.x.x on a class c subdomain is even going to get past your internal network and to the net.

Take your browser and go to a website that tells you your ip.&nbsp; Its not going to give you that address of 192.168.x.x unless its physically attached to your network or on the same subnet as you.
how is it possible for me to send emails using this ip then?

thanks for the reply balamm... [/b][/quote]
Where are you sending them from? You are using that address but only on your network. When you send and receive packets from the net thats not the ip address youll use.

Btw, all this is assuming you have a router. If you dont have a router then your ip is your ip. But, nevertheless the 192.168.x.x is reserved for private ip addressing just like 127.0.0.1 is reserved for the local loopback address.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by shn@6 August 2003 - 10:50
Where are you sending them from? You are using that address but only on your network. When you send and receive packets from the net thats not the ip address youll use.

Btw, all this is assuming you have a router. If you dont have a router then your ip is your ip. But, nevertheless the 192.168.x.x is reserved for private ip addressing just like 127.0.0.1 is reserved for the local loopback address.
no router

and i&#39;m only typing in what i showed in the screenshot above

i&#39;m preplexed by this...

shn
08-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Ok, here is whats going on. I just saw the post with your telnet session. Your on dial up. Which means you dial into your isp and that places you physically on their network with a private ip address that their dhcp server hands down to you. In fact all the data you send reroutes through their gateway. Sorta like what balamm was referring to. When you send or receive it goes through your isp internet gateway which in fact is a real internet ip address that is connected to the net.

Imagine having 5 computers and they all only have private ip addresses. You want them to connect through your box so they can connect to the net through you. So what you could do is have those boxes dial in to whats called a ras server (routing and remote acess) you could also use a vpn. But even though youll have that private ip address youll be using the main box as a default gateway.

Kinda making sense now? Dial in isp&#39;s use and sometimes even dsl isp&#39;s use ras servers to get their clients connected.

Btw, the reaon your pal couldnt connect is because he wasnt on the same network as you and your isp probably doesnt allow mail relay from clients who arent theirs. that prevents a lot of spamming from reaching the net.

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
thanks a lot for the reply

makes sense now...:D

i just wanted to use telnet for something...now i can check my email and send email

hardly major, but it&#39;s better than nothing

Cl1mh4224rd
08-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Just out of curiosity... Did you have to log on to that computer, or you able to just freely send emails through that IP?

If it&#39;s the latter, your ISP needs a good swift kick in balls...

3rd gen noob
08-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@6 August 2003 - 20:12
Just out of curiosity... Did you have to log on to that computer, or you able to just freely send emails through that IP?

If it&#39;s the latter, your ISP needs a good swift kick in balls...
no login, only what i typed into that telnet session as shown

my isp is freeserve