PDA

View Full Version : Colour blindness stuff.

Snee
04-06-2008, 11:32 PM
In April of 2001, while discussing with a close friend of mine Nick Yee, who is red-green colorblind, the differences in our subjective visual experiences, we realized that color vision is not an unequivocal gain. That is, in some situations, he could perceive variations in luminosity that I could not. This difference got us to thinking whether we could design a "reverse" color blindness test - one that he could pass because he is color blind, and one that I would fail because I am not.

the second one is totally clear for me. (http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/creative/colorTest.htm) True story.

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/images/largeImages/colorblind_test.jpg

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/images/largeImages/red_blind.jpg

I like reverse tests way better, 'cos that way I'm winning, like.

Moar. (http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html#reverse)

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/images8/reverse_ishihara.gif

Something Else
04-06-2008, 11:42 PM
:smilie4: I'm not colour blind.

tesco
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
me neither.
My dad is though.

What the pattern in the second one that I can't see?

Alien5
04-06-2008, 11:46 PM
just a random pattern nothing in particular.

Something Else
04-06-2008, 11:47 PM
It's a circle

1st one is a 6

Damn I am colour blind. :pinch:

Squeamous
04-06-2008, 11:49 PM
6, 0, 56?

Alien5
04-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Squeamous you're also as blind as everyone else.

Something Else
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
6, 0, 56?

And the blindness achievement award goes to the girl playing with her internets while the hubby paints over-sized LOTR dolls. :hooray:

Snee
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
6, o and NO is what I'm seeing.

I'm not strictly colour blind, though, I see all the primaries but nuances screw me over a lot (it's cos of a virus, not the usual thing). I could be fucking the last one up.

Snee
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Nope, it's NO :smilie4:

Wait :pinch:

Proper Bo
04-07-2008, 12:12 AM
In April of 2001, while discussing with a close friend of mine Nick Yee, who is red-green colorblind, the differences in our subjective visual experiences, we realized that color vision is not an unequivocal gain. That is, in some situations, he could perceive variations in luminosity that I could not. This difference got us to thinking whether we could design a "reverse" color blindness test - one that he could pass because he is color blind, and one that I would fail because I am not.

the second one is totally clear for me. (http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/creative/colorTest.htm) True story.

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/images/largeImages/colorblind_test.jpg

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/images/largeImages/red_blind.jpg

i can see both, does that mean I have eye aids too?:unsure:

Something Else
04-07-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm afraid so mate. :no:

Squeamous
04-07-2008, 06:20 AM
6, 0, 56?

And the blindness achievement award goes to the girl playing with her internets while the hubby paints over-sized LOTR dolls. :hooray:

:cry:

Alien5
04-07-2008, 06:22 AM
:console: :geek:

Squeamous
04-07-2008, 06:23 AM
6, o and NO is what I'm seeing.

I'm not strictly colour blind, though, I see all the primaries but nuances screw me over a lot (it's cos of a virus, not the usual thing). I could be fucking the last one up.

I see what you mean now..that comes through a little too. Tbh I think those things aren't very good because I have perfect vision. Funny how it's usually men who are colour blind tho'.

Snee
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Might just have to do with the contrast on your monitor :idunno:

Women can have it too, but it's way rarer, it's genetic, like, and usually dormant or recessive in people with xx for some reason.

You can also have it temporarily if you're ill or pregnant or something.

Still, it's usually women wot have their periods, so it's a fair trade. Though my outlook might be different if all I saw were shades of brown, like.

Barbarossa
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I couldn't really tell what they were, but I could sort of guess, if you know what I mean :unsure:

Snee
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
The first and the last aren't uber clear to me, like. But they aren't hard to make out.

The middle one is so clear I had a hard time accepting that others can't see it.

Snee
04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe you've all had some bad eye-aids like wot I did, so your colour-perception is fucked now, same as what happened to me.

Mine started out perfect, you know.

:smilie4:

Chip Monk
04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Both of my brothers are color blind, one seriously so, the other slightly. As the chaps said it's much more common in men than women and is almost certainly passed from your maternal grandfather.

I was tested in school and at that time, though it was rather a long time ago, I showed no signs of colour blindness. My brother who has it to the max cannot tell the difference in colour between a red andgreen traffic light. True Story.

Biggles
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Both of my brothers are color blind, one seriously so, the other slightly. As the chaps said it's much more common in men than women and is almost certainly passed from your maternal grandfather.

I was tested in school and at that time, though it was rather a long time ago, I showed no signs of colour blindness. My brother who has it to the max cannot tell the difference in colour between a red andgreen traffic light. True Story.

Although the red one is usually at the top non?

I can see the 6 and the 56 but the one in the middle looks like a map of the Milky Way - I see nothing but randomness.

Snee
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
It's not really a 56, lolz.

Biggles
04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
It's not really a 56, lolz.

I can see the NO if I sort of squint but my eyes prefer the 56 - can see sod all in the middle one - how do people get 0 out if that - there is a band of star dust going from bottom left up to top right?

Snee
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I thought I could illustrate by turning it monochrome, but it turns out the pattern just diappeared for me, then. Odd.

It's not so much an "0" as it is a perfect circle.

As for your 56, I can't see that at all.

stoi
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
well i am colour blind.

i see 6 a circle and NO in the 3 pictures, all as clear as day.

the usual colour blind tests i get to the 3rd one and cant see jack shit after that lol

and yes, it is from the grandfather, it always skips a generation.

Barbarossa
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Turning up the contrast to the max, and the brightness up slightly will reveal 2 and 3, but whatever I do I can't make number one much clearer :blink:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/256/34882227qt0.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8023/91653897qt3.jpg

stoi
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
No and a circle again, but even more clearer now that in the 1st pics lol

J-dye
04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
i cant see any numbers or words. i mean its just colours . right ?

am not color blind but this is weird :dabs:

Snee
04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
well i am colour blind.

i see 6 a circle and NO in the 3 pictures, all as clear as day.
If only we could use our powers for good.

Squeamous
04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
my outlook might be different if all I saw were shades of brown, like.

Racist!

Snee
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
:01:

C-mos
04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
it's NO :) 6 //and 0

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
i cant see any numbers or words. i mean its just colours . right ?

am not color blind but this is weird :dabs:

It's people who are colour blind who are more liable to see them. Your eyes can differentiate between the different colours, theirs cant so they see similar colours or shades. This makes up the numbers or words that you can't see. You can't see them because they aren't really there. Sans the condition obviously.

Bearing in mind that there are different kinds of colour blindness. It's Red/Green in my family. My brother for example always had to ask someone to check his socks because he could see a pair when in fact they were a different colour.

There are other tests where you will be able to see numbers which they cant, because of their condition again. You see a number but they don't because the colours which you see as different and make up the number, they cant see that difference.

That's my understanding anyway. It may obviously be pish.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Try this test, it tells you what you should see depending on if you have colour blindness.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/teares/gktvc/vc/lt/colourblindness/cblind.htm

It covers both types of tests. Those you should see and those you shouldn't.

Biggles
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Yup 24/24 normal.

Now I need to work on the rest of me.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Yup 24/24 normal.

Now I need to work on the rest of me.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you to your own devices on that one mate.

100%
04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
http://www.39forks.com/39pages/projects/BrailleGraffiti/BrailleGraff3.jpg

http://reubenmiller.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/24/bragrafparis.jpg

http://current.com/items/88494351_braille_graffiti

Snee
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Try this test, it tells you what you should see depending on if you have colour blindness.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/teares/gktvc/vc/lt/colourblindness/cblind.htm

It covers both types of tests. Those you should see and those you shouldn't.

According to one pic I'm red-green colour blind, according to the next I'm not. I'm not getting near 24/24, but according to some plates I'd be perfectly normal. I'm in serious trouble when it comes to most of the non-specific plates, though. I've also got mild protanomalia, whatever the fuck that is, according to one plate. And I'm not seeing any of the numbers that aren't supposed to be there :blink:

It's prolly 'cos I don't have a normal kind of colour blindness, though.

Snee
04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I like the ones with figures normal people can't see, 'cos they give you an inkling of what it's like for for me trying to make out numbers on the regular type of test, after a fashion :happy:

Was frustrating as fuck at first when my eyes stopped working properly, like.

Although I'm right normal when looking at those pics in the last test.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I can understand how it would be really frustrating, like I said my brother has it really bad. The red and green on traffic lights look the same to him, colour wise, so he has to judge by whether the top or bottom light is on. Which means at night he has to be close enough to work that out.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
* In protanopia the visible range of the spectrum is shorter at the red end compared with that of the normal, and that part of the spectrum that appears blue-green in the normal appears to those with protanopia as grey.
* In deuteranopia the part of the spectrum that appears to the normal as green appears as grey. Purple-red (the complimentary colour of green) also appears as grey.

* In protanomalia and deuteranomalia, no part of the spectrum appears as grey, however the part of the spectrum that appears to those with protanopia as grey will appear as a greyish indistinct colour to those with protanomalia and similarily, the part of the spectrum which appears grey to those with deuteranopia will appear as an indistinct greyish colour to those with deuteranomalia.
As a result of this red-green colour vision deficiencies show blue and yellow colours clearer than red and green colours.

* Those who suffer from typical total colour blindness show a complete failure to discriminate any colour variations, usually associated with impairment of central vision with photophobia and nystagmus.

* With atypical total colour blindness, the sensitivity to red and green, as well as to yellow and blue is so low that only very clear colours may be perceived. There are, however, no further abnormalities in the visual functions.

Snee
04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I can see how tests designed to weed out that would give me trouble, then. I've got problems differentiating between some nuances. I don't think any colours turn grey or indistinct or owt for me, though.

I can see extremes, and primary colours. Can't really see exactly where blue ends and green begins, and where green ends and yellow begins and that kind of thing, I'm inaccurate rather than oblivious of colours, if that makes sense. In some cases It has been as if my colour-perception has been shifted towards one end of the spectrum, compared to what other people have seen.

So what I'm saying is that I can tell if something has a colour, I guess. Just not always which the correct one.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
So what I'm saying is that I can tell if something has a colour, I guess. Just not always which the correct one.

That's by far the most common thing as I understand it. In spite of the fact that people think of colour blindness as not being able to see colour. I think the name may be unhelpful.

The way my brother explained it to me was that for what I perceived as red and green he saw different shades of the same colour. He could almost have called it gred and it would have made more sense to him. Hence the sock thing. 2 socks could be entirely different, one red and one green. However if their shades were similar he would see them as the same.

Snee
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM

That's by far the most common thing as I understand it. In spite of the fact that people think of colour blindness as not being able to see colour. I think the name may be unhelpful.

The way my brother explained it to me was that for what I perceived as red and green he saw different shades of the same colour. He could almost have called it gred and it would have made more sense to him. Hence the sock thing. 2 socks could be entirely different, one red and one green. However if their shades were similar he would see them as the same.
For me one of the socks would have to be a bright yellow and the other a very yellow green, like, for me to mix them up, for instance.

And even then I'd probably be able to see they were different, but I might not be able to tell which was which (might even end up seeing the yellow as lime green and the other as yellow).

It's that close, for me. Yet I'll invariably mess up most tests.

But like I said, I started off as being able to see colours normally, was tested when I was little. The most likely culprit is a virus, as I said, which may account for any oddness in my condition :unsure:

It might even be to do with the angle with which I'm looking at stuff, possibly. Not really something I've bothered to explore.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Talking of the effects of a virus, I had viral labyrinthitis , that really fucks your life a bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/labyrinthitis.shtml

See the bit about full recovery, everyone I have spoken to about it has agreed it was pish.

Snee
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Talking of the effects of a virus, I had viral labyrinthitis , that really fucks your life a bit.

See the bit about full recovery, everyone I have spoken to about it has agreed it was pish.

Can it stay with you for life? :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM

It's difficult to tell. Like I said everyone I have spoken to says that they have wee bouts for years to come. I certainly get it sometimes but it only lasts a few seconds and if you know what it is you don't panic. Though it is fucking annoying.

The treatment I was given was basically as follows. I'll give you anti nausea tablets but try not to take them if you can avoid it. That way your brain will adapt. The sicker you feel the more motivation it has to adapt to the condition. I think that sometimes it forgets to allow for the problem and that's when one gets the "episodes".

On the day it happened to me I seriously thought I was going to die. I've never felt anything like it. I spoke to a Paratrooper of my acquaintance who it had happened to and he felt the same way. He was actually rushed to intensive care in an ambulance. His mate still can't go into certain rooms depending on the decor.

The best description I can give of the feeling when it happened is - Get really pished, then go on a "Waltzer" for about ten minutes then try to stand still. The whole World spins so much that you actually have to hold on to things.

Snee
04-07-2008, 09:53 PM

It's difficult to tell. Like I said everyone I have spoken to says that they have wee bouts for years to come. I certainly get it sometimes but it only lasts a few seconds and if you know what it is you don't panic. Though it is fucking annoying.

The treatment I was given was basically as follows. I'll give you anti nausea tablets but try not to take them if you can avoid it. That way your brain will adapt. The sicker you feel the more motivation it has to adapt to the condition. I think that sometimes it forgets to allow for the problem and that's when one gets the "episodes".

On the day it happened to me I seriously thought I was going to die. I've never felt anything like it. I spoke to a Paratrooper of my acquaintance who it had happened to and he felt the same way. He was actually rushed to intensive care in an ambulance. His mate still can't go into certain rooms depending on the decor.

The best description I can give of the feeling when it happened is - Get really pished, then go on a "Waltzer" for about ten minutes then try to stand still. The whole World spins so much that you actually have to hold on to things.
:pinch:

How did you get it in the first place? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It's one of them things I'd like to avoid, I reckon.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM

:pinch:

How did you get it in the first place? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It's one of them things I'd like to avoid, I reckon.

Virus, gets into the labyrinth, that's about it. It's one of those "shit happens" things. True story.

Snee
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Avoid labyrinths - check :sly:

Did you get insurance or owt for it?

It's a bad thing when professionals claim a full recovery is easy. My mam never got compensation for some whiplash thing after she had her car accident a couple of years back. Some genious doctor decided she should totally have recovered from that. She still suffers from it.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Avoid labyrinths - check :sly:

:lol:

I don't even know what that means. Shit happens, it was nobody's fault. The Dr who I trust told me exactly what was happening and what we could do about it. In essence nothing.

Does anyone see what I did there.

Snee
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Uh, I mean did you have a health insurance type of deal, and if so did you get compensated when it happened, like.

Did one of them direct translations in my heid and it didn't work very well in english.

Mr JP Fugley
04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
We have a National Health Service, mate.

Are you rodding me, I'd be hurt if you were. Given my current open heart situation.

Figuratively like.

Snee
04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Nah, I wasn't. I'm a bit fuzzy on what sort of policies and whatnot you have over yonder.

I know you have the tax-funded or subsidised healthcare and that sort of thing, same as here.

I was thinking more of the kind of optional policy wot pays out if you get a disability or something. Like wot my mam had.

Barbarossa
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
:lol:

I don't even know what that means. Shit happens, it was nobody's fault. The Dr who I trust told me exactly what was happening and what we could do about it. In essence nothing.

Does anyone see what I did there.

Which Doctor who was it? I bet it was John Pertwee :dry: