PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox Plans

Tranquill
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey I'm looking to buy a seedbox. I'm completely new to this but im looking to spend around $15-20. For this price can I get unlimited bandwidth and windows on it?

If anyone could recommend some trusted websites suited to my needs this would be great

Thanks!

renwickftw
04-07-2008, 10:14 AM
The OVH Kimsufi fits into your price range, but you are going to make it Linux. Plus, there are extra fees and setup prices which might bump up the price.

Tranquill
04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi.xml

Even if I am not in the UK can I still order it?

Also which is the best option to choose out of these

Among Linux OS, OVH propose: 'ready-to use' or basic distributions.
Basic distribution
'Ready-to use' distribution

OVH gives you the choice between the following Linux:
Operating system Debian 3.1 (Sarge)
Operating system Debian 4.0 (Etch)
32 bits 64 bits
Operating system Gentoo 2006.0
32 bits 64 bits
Operating system Slackware 10.2
Operating system Open SUSE 10.2
Operating system Fedora Core 6
Operating system Fedora Core 8 (BETA)
Operating system CentOS 4.4
Operating system CentOS 5.0
Operating system Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS
Operating system Ubuntu Server 6.10
Operating system Ubuntu Server 7.04
Operating system Ubuntu Server 7.10

I have no clue how to use linux

will17
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
The OVH Kimsufi fits into your price range, but you are going to make it Linux. Plus, there are extra fees and setup prices which might bump up the price.

You'll also need to live in europe to get one of these. Check out leeware or hosting-ie. Might a little above your price range but it suits what your after.

sabre
04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
has leeware.com shutdown?
i want to order one of these but when i click "Rent Now" it goes to some page about the plans being phased out

will17
04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4650300

Looks like it. In that case check out tzulo. Never tried them myself but i've read some good comments about them.

edit: looks like he's offering some unmanaged ones:

http://www.leeware.com/tz100.html
http://www.leeware.com/tz200.html
http://www.leeware.com/tz300.html

It's all in the webhostingtalk thread.

Sanka113
04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
When will people understand that leeware is currently not renting out servers?

parky
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
If thats your budget $15-$20 and you want windows with unlimited bandwidth, you will only be able to get a vps for that price.

I would advise against ordering any hosting-ie service as you have about a month wait.

will17
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
When will people understand that leeware is currently not renting out servers?

Ahwell. Maybe i read the page wrong or it's an old post. :unsure: But i was able to go right through to subscribing with those links and the post said he would continue to be the billing and manager for those boxes.

optimist
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
If you are new to seedboxes and on a budget, a torrentflux seedbox is an ok thing to try.

For example:

http://seedbox24.com/
http://torrentswift.com/

Torrentflux accounts have no set up costs, its cheap and it isnt any more complicated than using internet explorer.

tyman
04-07-2008, 10:04 PM
so say i live in the US, i cannot not get an ovh seedbox at all? I don't care it is based there, i just want to order one and maintain it.

TheMighyThor
04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm interested in renting a seed box as well.

I am willing to pay 30-40 Euros/month (~$50/month) for unlimited bandwidth and around 50 GB of hard drive space with Torrentflux installed.
I'm located in Europe

optimist
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
duplicate post.

optimist
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
It doesnt matter where you live - you upload/download files from your seedbox to your own PC using FTP.

With torrentflux, thats all the maintenance there is. With other setups you need to know about installing software, possibly linux etc.

I dont know any provider that does unlimited bandwidth AND 50 |GIG HD.

I'd recommend torrentswift though (purely cos the guy who runs it is really friendly), they'd give you 50 gig HD and $40 for every 800 gig you use.

tyman
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah...but can i buy one...it seems as if people are saying that if i am not in Europe they won't even accept any payments or service.

optimist
04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I live in the UK, so they may know more than me.

But it doesnt make sense. The guys who are offering a torrentflux seedbox rather than a 'server' for rent are quite clearly offering a
filesharing service. They arent likely to be nosey about where you live. No provider lists a postal address because they know they are on dodgy legal ground, so why should your address be of any interest? I paid with paypal BTW.

TheMighyThor
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
It doesnt matter where you live - you upload/download files from your seedbox to your own PC using FTP.

With torrentflux, thats all the maintenance there is. With other setups you need to know about installing software, possibly linux etc.

I'd recommend torrentswift though (purely cos the guy who runs it is really friendly), they'd give you 50 gig HD and $40 for every 800 gig you use.
Sounds good. Do you know how many simultaineous torrents you can download with that services?

Sounds good. Do you know how many simultaineous torrents you can download with that services?
Wait, never mind. The answer was on their website staring me in the face.

optimist
04-08-2008, 12:04 AM
They allow up to 8 torrents on the 50 gig hd package:

http://torrentswift.com/

ceasar
04-08-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm interested in renting a seed box as well.

I am willing to pay 30-40 Euros/month (~$50/month) for unlimited bandwidth and around 50 GB of hard drive space with Torrentflux installed.
I'm located in Europe
You can order on from OVH then. They have good one for 40 Euros and it's 750 GB with 2 Gb RAM. Also you can find someone from States to share it with you, so you pay less and help out someone else.
OVH = way to go!

TheMighyThor
04-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Do torrentswift and OVH run torrentflux?

Do you have a link to the OVH plans?

ceasar
04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Do torrentswift and OVH run torrentflux?

Do you have a link to the OVH plans?
OVH does.
Use teh link from this thread's first page, then go to OVH main page and you'll see.

TheMighyThor
04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Nice one. Cheers

optimist
04-08-2008, 01:29 AM
I think we're talking about two different ways of doing things:-)

Theres a big difference between renting a server which may or may not be used be used for filesharing and renting a torrentflux seedbox which can only be used for filesharing. Torrentswift ONLY offer torrentflux.

With a torrrentflux seedbox provider, you are more restricted in that all you can do is torrenting. But you know that all you have to manage is a webpage (for your torrents) and a FTP client. They tend to be cheaper if all you want to do is fileshare (but I agree OVH does look competitive).

BTW many private sites dont allow sharing of seedboxes so you may need to make sure you arent accessing the same trackers if you are going to share.

ceasar
04-08-2008, 01:45 AM
OVH does look competitive
Almost shit my pants here. :lol:
LOOK COMPETITIVE?? WTF?
Torrentswift wants 40$ for 800GB transfer.
I will transfer that much in 2 days with OVH. There's no competition between those 2, it's like you facing Mike Tyson on teh ring :D

optimist
04-08-2008, 02:06 AM
There's no competition between those 2, it's like you facing Mike Tyson on teh ring :D

You arent paying attention.

I wasnt comparing torrentswift to OVH. I was comparing renting a server to renting a torrentflux seedbox. The latter has been cheaper, but as I was saying, OVH do seem to be changing that.

You can get an unlimited BW torrentflux service for under £10/month - but not one that offers a 50 gig hd. It all depends on what you need.

ceasar
04-08-2008, 02:32 AM
There's no competition between those 2, it's like you facing Mike Tyson on teh ring :D

You arent paying attention.

I wasnt comparing torrentswift to OVH. I was comparing renting a server to renting a torrentflux seedbox. The latter has been cheaper, but as I was saying, OVH do seem to be changing that.

You can get an unlimited BW torrentflux service for under £10/month - but not one that offers a 50 gig hd. It all depends on what you need.
50 GB HDD is not huge. OVH offers 750 HDD, how about that?
And you can share it with 2 ppl, to split 35-40 pounds and make it 10-15 per person. And it's unlimited transfer. And FTP access, and Torrentflux, and whatever.. Guess you getting the idea?
torrentswift is suck every OVH bawlz, except for OVH available only in Europe. Do you really believe that on this forums even 10 ppl, who want to use seedbox for some other than seed torrents on treckers? :lol: So what else they need then?

optimist
04-08-2008, 03:08 AM
You're clearly a OVH fanboy who cant see past why everyone in europe shouldnt be using their service. You cant even see why anyone would use OVH for anything other than filesharing -you should look again at their website. OVH clearly dont agree with you.

I should add that the OVH basic package also only offers linux (not for everyone) and the RAM isnt really enough to run windows.

BTW its probably also a bad idea to try to share on the basic package (only one IP address). Sharing an IP address across two acccounts can get you banned from many sites so you'd need to be careful how you shared.

A torrentflux service suits many people who dont want to manage a server and dont need to shift terabytes of data every month. There are numberous providers of torrentflux services - torrentswift is only one of many.

Anyway, I dont have the energy to try to explain these things to you. I'm off to bed.

Tranquill
04-08-2008, 06:59 AM

looks good, anyone have any feedback on them?

only downpoint is I don't know how to use linux.

TheMighyThor
04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
If I do go with the OVH option, does linux have the equivalent of Remote Desktop to make managing it easier?

optimist
04-08-2008, 12:46 PM

looks good, anyone have any feedback on them?

only downpoint is I don't know how to use linux.

You dont get to touch linux. Torrentflux is like the web interface of uTorrent; & its already set up for you. Your only access is to the server is through this web interface or via FTP.

BTW these guys do a simple torrentflux service for $5/month: http://torrentfluxhosting.com/torrentflux/sign-up/

If it isnt what you want, you get to cancel after a month and all it costs you is $5 to try it.

My advice is you can negotiate before you sign up. And make sure any service offers FTP access if you want to upload files to the seedbox.

bindipprsRkunz
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
torrentswift already banned on one private tracker for that very reason, too many members sharing an ip. Plus they are a bunch of thieving pikeys who don't deliver on time and don't offer any support, but hey this is illegal filesharing we're talking about, right? :cry: