PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to donate to private trackers?

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm tempted to donate to some of my favorite trackers in exchange for upload credit. I find the sites I'm (please don't ask) in very difficult to seed back as most users there have fast connection. My max upload speed is around 30-40 kb/s (which is the fastest where I live! :() but would drop into around 1/2 to 2/3 max speed during daytime and when leeching. Thus, I have to hold back leeching a lot of good movies I like (which are not on freeleech) and seed back first what I got before grabbing new ones.

With this problem, my options are:
(1) keep my pc open for 24/7 which I'm doing lately...build buffer first before downloading something new,
(2) get a seedbox, or
(3) donate for upload credit.

As of now, I find it more "economical" to donate (although i find the idea of pay-to-leech horrible) and keep my pc on for few hours a day only, thus saving electricity. I still haven't decided on getting a seedbox yet since I think the amount I'll pay for seedbox access can be used instead to "buy" upload credit and "help" my favorite trackers. This could be, in my opinion, cheaper in the long run.

I need the inputs of fellow FST members before I make my first donation (around >$50). I especially need the opinions of those who have donated and those who opted to buy seedbox access instead. TIA! :)

Disme
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
With a connection like you have you shouldn't be on those private trackers imho.

Go on public trackers or trackers where it is easier to seed.

Just my opinion.

Something Else
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Why not just seed to a ratio of 1 on every file no matter how long it takes. :blink:

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Why not just seed to a ratio of 1 on every file no matter how long it takes. :blink:

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm seeding 24/7. But the problem with it, I am missing a lot of good movies. I always hold back leeching until my ratio go back to 1 or more than 1 per file. I always build buffer.. and it's quite tiring.

styles
04-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Donate means help the tracker running and make it even better,and more importantly you want nothing in return,The bonus whatever upload credit or invite that's all the the others,Just a thank for what you contribute for the site.
If you have a slow connection,I would suggest buying a seed box rather than buying upload credit anyway.

will17
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
If you have a slow connection,I would suggest buying a seed box rather than buying upload credit anyway.

+1

If you get a seedbox your adding to the site by speeding up their torrents. It would be much better for your needs in the long cause you'd have alot more freedom to download what you want when you want and you would be using the site to its full potential.

DasFox
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Donations help keep the trackers running, they're important.

GoldStoNe I was given a seedbox on one tracker to help upload at, so if you really are interested in helping, you might be able to get something like this too...

PEACE

IdolEyes787
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat as you GoldstoNe but my speed is a little better.
It takes some planning and perseverance to build ratio but it can be done.Get on anything you want early and stay late.It's surprising what can happen a week after the initial rush.
If this doesn't work I would definitely donate.You will be helping the site then and not just yourself.I'm not rich but I've never once regretted donating .
Anyway if it's that hard to seed the tracker doesn't need more speed it needs less.
The day everyone needs a frigging seedbox just to belong to a tracker will be a black day indeed.

redpill
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
A user must be smart. If he doesn't have a good upload speed... well.. he can use other measures (and donating is not one of it) to boost their ratio. But... a good user can seed his torrents and to keep his ratio above de limit very easily by downloading xxx torrents, new games or movies.

C-mos
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM

PEACE

donations helps the staffs buget :)

becomehokage
04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm tempted to donate to some of my favorite trackers in exchange for upload credit. I find the sites I'm (please don't ask) in very difficult to seed back as most users there have fast connection. My max upload speed is around 30-40 kb/s (which is the fastest where I live! :() but would drop into around 1/2 to 2/3 max speed during daytime and when leeching. Thus, I have to hold back leeching a lot of good movies I like (which are not on freeleech) and seed back first what I got before grabbing new ones.

With this problem, my options are:
(1) keep my pc open for 24/7 which I'm doing lately...build buffer first before downloading something new,
(2) get a seedbox, or
(3) donate for upload credit.

As of now, I find it more "economical" to donate (although i find the idea of pay-to-leech horrible) and keep my pc on for few hours a day only, thus saving electricity. I still haven't decided on getting a seedbox yet since I think the amount I'll pay for seedbox access can be used instead to "buy" upload credit and "help" my favorite trackers. This could be, in my opinion, cheaper in the long run.

I need the inputs of fellow FST members before I make my first donation (around >$50). I especially need the opinions of those who have donated and those who opted to buy seedbox access instead. TIA! :)Pay to leech? Never!:dry:

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM

GoldStoNe I was given a seedbox on one tracker to help upload at, so if you really are interested in helping, you might be able to get something like this too...

PEACE

Wow, DasFox you're a lucky guy. What tracker is that? They just give you a seedbox for free? I would like to apply. :naughty:

anto
04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
i think it Is worth it to donate to private trackers to keep the site going or would ur rather the site go down?

saqib
04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
it is called p2L , which is bad thing in my opinion . if u want to leech u should go and buy some rapidshare s***
. there ll b no ratio and u ll not have to donate ever /
but if u donate to some private tracker with the helping intention , it is great .

anto
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
it is called p2L , which is bad thing in my opinion . if u want to leech u should go and buy some rapidshare s***
. there ll b no ratio and u ll not have to donate ever /
but if u donate to some private tracker with the helping intention , it is great .

agree :D

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Anyway if it's that hard to seed the tracker doesn't need more speed it needs less.
The day everyone needs a frigging seedbox just to belong to a tracker will be a black day indeed.

I agree that forcing everyone to have a seedbox just in order to survive in a tracker would be doomsday indeed! I observe it becoming a trend in very high level trackers where a lot of members have a seedbox!

So the future is: get a seedbox or donate? :(

anto
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
yes sometimes it can be hard to seed when people have seedboxes i have had to donate to sites to get more upload beacuse of seedboxes but i don't ind doing it beacuse it keeps the site going

The Flying Cow
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I'd advise you to be careful with that. Once I donated to PiSEXY for a special "draw" thing (BTW - always the same people won those draws, which was more than a little suspect), and next thing I knew, my friend's credit card which I used (he lent me) was raided of €2000.

Watch out with that. If I were you I'd go for the seed/dedi/gigabox. Don't trust the private trackers. As a rule. You never know what one or another member of staff are up to. Sorry if I offended staffmembers from private trackers that aren't untrustworthy bastards, but the many pay for the errors of the few.

Swift
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
i donated some time ago but not anymore it`s nice and respectfull to donate , where ppl are really trying to help you out and give you the best material there is on the internet so ppl who can donate don`t hesitate helping , i don`t say to donate much just simbolic amounts !

anto
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd advise you to be careful with that. Once I donated to PiSEXY for a special "draw" thing (BTW - always the same people won those draws, which was more than a little suspect), and next thing I knew, my friend's credit card which I used (he lent me) was raided of €2000.

Watch out with that. If I were you I'd go for the seed/dedi/gigabox. Don't trust the private trackers. As a rule. You never know what one or another member of staff are up to. Sorry if I offended staffmembers from private trackers that aren't untrustworthy bastards, but the many pay for the errors of the few.

i use a 3v pre paid credit card if there were to get access to it all they can get is what is on the card :D

saqib
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM

I agree that forcing everyone to have a seedbox just in order to survive in a tracker would be doomsday indeed! I observe it becoming a trend in very high level trackers where a lot of members have a seedbox!

NO . i think there should b exception for low bandwidth users like some specific time of seeding like 60 hours or 1.1 ratio . the later can b achieved if we ll go on to partial seeding or seed the popular torrents .
about 70% of us are students and r not earning , thats y our parents have to pay for our bandwidth and in some cases for our seedboxes too .
but as the time ll pass on we ll move to professional life where we can bear high bandwidth bills or seedboxes .
so there is nothing about to worry . cheer up guys . :cool:

anto
04-07-2008, 12:25 PM

NO . i think there should b exception for low bandwidth users like some specific time of seeding like 60 hours or 1.1 ratio . the later can b achieved if we ll go on to partial seeding or seed the popular torrents .
about 70% of us are students and r not earning , thats y our parents have to pay for our bandwidth and in some cases for our seedboxes too .
but as the time ll pass on we ll move to professional life where we can bear high bandwidth bills or seedboxes .
so there is nothing about to worry . cheer up guys . :cool:

some sites don't like partial seeding

IdolEyes787
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Pay to leech? Never!:dry:

If no one ever donated how would trackers survive?

And MisterSister sorry to hear about your friends trouble.You can never be to careful it seems.

Agreed though that seeding time should take precedence over everthing else.

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 12:35 PM
MisterSister, I think giving your credit card information online is dangerous. You never know whoever got hold of the number could have used it for any other purpose.

How about donating thru PayPal? Would it be safer if the major objection is security and credit card theft?

anto
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
MisterSister, I think giving your credit card information online is dangerous. You never know whoever got hold of the number could have used it for any other purpose.

How about donating thru PayPal? Would it be safer if the major objection is security and credit card theft?

i agree payal is the best way :D

grimms
04-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Honestly? In your situation? It's similar to my mines but my upload rate is not as horrible. I would invest in seedbox access for a month or two and buff your accounts up alittle bit. If thats not where you want to go, then just donate. Not only will you'll be getting upload credit, but you'll also be helping out the tracker. It's up to you.

mrnobody
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I think there are plenty of alternatives:

1. Use public tracker

2. If you don't like public tracker, then try semi-private (semi-public) tracker as Torrent-Damage. Some of them are targeted to people who find it difficult to seed, meanwhile speed there is better than public tracker. For example: Demonoid didn't care about ratio i.e they wouldn't ban for ur ratio. I dunno any such semi-public tracker atm but i think Torrent-Damage has something interesting:

Downloaded
more than 1.0GB
your ratio must be higher than
Downloaded
more than 2.5GB
Downloaded
more than 5.0GB
Downloaded
more than 10.0GB
Downloaded
more than 15.0GB
Downloaded
more than 20.0GB
Downloaded
more than 25.0GB

^ i think that is easy to obtain ratio.

3. If you don't want to stick with semi-public (or semi-private) then:

A. Borrow someone's seedbox (or buy one) and buffer up. Then after, seed torrents for at least 72 hrs (or w/e their requirement is) and u should be fine.

C. Check the freeleech thread. Get the movies u want from freeleech trackers...doing so, ur ratio won't hurt and at the meantime u could seed those torrent in other tracker as well.

B. Join ratio free trackers. You mentioned that you have been seeding 24/7...so i think u could do well in those ratio free trackers.

The Gladiator
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
It depends of how much trackers do you have right now.

I'm an example, some weeks ago i was in the same situation you are right now.

If you have a lot of trackers it's a good bet, a seedbox.

If you don't, just donate. I think it's not enought get a seedbox for one tracker only, but there aren't too much trackers where you can do that...

Like grimms said, it's up to you.

sacebac
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
My max upload speed is around 30-40 kb/s

I dont understand you, my upload speed is around 25 kb\s and i have good buffers in my trackers, you must work better in those trackers, and you will see that with time your buffer will increase a lot..........

The Gladiator
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM

I dont understand you, my upload speed is around 25 kb\s and i have good buffers in my trackers, you must work better in those trackers, and you will see that with time your buffer will increase a lot..........

Is all about patience isn't it? :)

maxo
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I donated $25 today to http://linuxmoviemania.org got me 250 gb. Thought that was great....

Swift
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Is all about patience isn't it? :)

yes indeed ;) and seeeding 24/7 or at least 14/7 as i do :P

mindtrick
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
You can always consider other methods of file sharing. Rapidshare and Usenet are two of them.

KravenX
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
i`ve never paid for p2p and personally I am against donations. Before you start a tracker, you have to think if you have the resources to maintain it. Therefore czone tracker does not accept donations from users and never will.

Why to pay for something that it is supposed to be free? Moreover, you do not know what the staff is doing with the money, so I prefer to keep them on my card ;)

The Gladiator
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
i`ve never paid for p2p and personally I am against donations. Before you start a tracker, you have to think if you have the resources to maintain it. Therefore czone tracker does not accept donations from users and never will.

Why to pay for something that it is supposed to be free? Moreover, you do not know what the staff is doing with the money, so I prefer to keep them on my card ;)

Against donations? First of all if he donate it's for upload, then why agaist?

Yeah and it's free, you don't need to pay for do the sign up do you? You donate if you want the upload or if you want to help the tracker (Don't tell me that you don't know what they will do with the money because if you are an active member on that tracker you know if staff there is serious or not).

stoi
04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
czone is run buy a romanian ISP, its like comcast or virgin media running one, they dont need donations.

put it this way if trackers got 0 donations every month, all you would have is a few romanian trackers that are run by their ISP.

I know i couldnt afford to keep BCG going if i got 0 donations (i could when i started it, but we have grown a lot since then)

KravenX
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
The Gladiator it`s not that simple. for example, I implement a donation system on cz. the users will donate, they will receive their upload/invites/etc and they are happy. What would I do with the money? I can easily lie the users that is for the maintenace of the server. As long as you do not know how the things work around there, I could do whatever I want with the money. And this is not fair.

On the other hand, I agree that lots of trackers does not have any resources, and NEED the money. I do not have an acct on BCG stoi, but I`m sure it is a good tracker and needs the donations. So other important trackers, such as sct, ftn, tl etc. But the saddest part is that there are LOTS of trackers that do not need donations (being either too small, or not so important) and still ask for money. Trustworthy or not, users are fooled and throw money for something that would run the same with or without donations.

Do not understand me wrongly, this is just my opinion. As a simple user, you can easily be fooled by the staff.

Quarter
04-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Pay for p2p LOL.
Instead of donating 50$ and getting 50GB upload credit you can buy excellent box and upload amount that bigger by 10!

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Please don't get me wrong mate. I also have good buffers in the trackers I'm active in. It's because I seed almost 24/7 for the past few months. A lot of effort has been poured on my part just to buffer up and seed back. At the same time my electricity bills shot up around $25-30 higher than those months when my pc is on for a few hours a day only [electricity is costly in the country where I'm from :(]. So I'm thinking of ways to minimize cost and at the same time survive in my favorite trackers...

There are lots of good suggestions here. Thank you guys. I'll evaluate what's best for me. Semi-private trackers? hmmm... Keep your opinions pouring in guys. I'm sure there are also lots of members who would benefit from our discussion. :happy:

dunson
04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Donations keep sites online. It is worth it to have good sites online. It is worth it to make donations.

The Gladiator
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
The Gladiator it`s not that simple. for example, I implement a donation system on cz. the users will donate, they will receive their upload/invites/etc and they are happy. What would I do with the money? I can easily lie the users that is for the maintenace of the server. As long as you do not know how the things work around there, I could do whatever I want with the money. And this is not fair.

On the other hand, I agree that lots of trackers does not have any resources, and NEED the money. I do not have an acct on BCG stoi, but I`m sure it is a good tracker and needs the donations. So other important trackers, such as sct, ftn, tl etc. But the saddest part is that there are LOTS of trackers that do not need donations (being either too small, or not so important) and still ask for money. Trustworthy or not, users are fooled and throw money for something that would run the same with or without donations.

Do not understand me wrongly, this is just my opinion. As a simple user, you can easily be fooled by the staff.

Yeah i got it.

But look when you pay for the up, you just care about the up, i did a donation on BitMeTV for the up and it's equal for me if they get whores with the money or if it's for help the tracker.

But i'm with you if it's donate just because you want to help the tracker... Things usually, probably, work like that.

SaviouR
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
from your case i can suggest you 2 things :-

1) buy a seedbox for a month or two (or share with a friend to divid the price) and build a good buffer so u dont have to worry much later when ur leeching a lot

or

2)donate for gb/s or get vip from TL or some site so that u dont have to worry at all for those specific months instead of $ per 'x'gb/s like other sites .

if u feel the electricity part is hurting a lot financially , then the above 2 options are the best i can suggest for u . in the end , do what you feel is best , good luck .

sacebac
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Please don't get me wrong mate. I also have good buffers in the trackers I'm active in. It's because I seed almost 24/7 for the past few months. A lot of effort has been poured on my part just to buffer up and seed back. At the same time my electricity bills shot up around $25-30 higher than those months when my pc is on for a few hours a day only [electricity is costly in the country where I'm from :(]. So I'm thinking of ways to minimize cost and at the same time survive in my favorite trackers...

There are lots of good suggestions here. Thank you guys. I'll evaluate what's best for me. Semi-private trackers? hmmm... Keep your opinions pouring in guys. I'm sure there are also lots of members who would benefit from our discussion. :happy:

Really?Oh man, in that case i have to give you reason........In my case i seed 24/7 all the time, but i dont see my electricity bills ups a lot, just around 5€ month, its not much compare with you!!!!!!
In that case i recomend you to buy a seed box, its what i do if was me........

For people who have slow connection like me, and like The Gladiator saids 'Is all about patience'!!!!!!!!

t0mmy
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
it gives you a good warm and fuzzy feeling inside.. zz but seriously it does :)

Horatiu
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I donated to most of the trackers i'm a member of.
It's only fair to do so.

I have a question though: is it different to donate directly via paypal account than to do it via the paypal link and writing down your name and cc?
I mean are those personal infos given out when making the payment or are they hidden like if you had an actual paypal account?
Thank you.

dangermouse1
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
jump on the most populer torrents early and youll soon get your upload where u want it it just means keeping a good eye on your torrent sites

newswalker
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
i think it Is worth it to donate to private trackers to keep the site going or would ur rather the site go down?
If a new site is asking users to donate, because otherwise they will lose the server, I think it's definitely not worth to donate or support this site. A site has to proof that it is worth financial support. Why should I support some wannabe people in their dream to have their own tracker?

If it's a really good site with a good history and good administration, I would prefer buying upload credit instead of making it even harder to seed for other users by adding yet another seedbox to the swarms. But first of all I would try to get a better home connection, even if I this means that I have to pay premium prices. If that's not possible for some reason, I would have no problem to donate, even if some of the donations are maybe used by the site admin for his own advantage. A good admin deserves the money for the risk he takes and the time he spends by running a good tracker for years.

A seedbox is only necessary for regular uploaders or people who want to spend 20+ hours a week in bittorrents IMO.

dythim
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
If a new site is asking users to donate, because otherwise they will lose the server, I think it's definitely not worth to donate or support this site. A site has to proof that it is worth financial support. Why should I support some wannabe people in their dream to have their own tracker?

If it's a really good site with a good history and good administration, I would prefer buying upload credit instead of making it even harder to seed for other users by adding yet another seedbox to the swarms. But first of all I would try to get a better home connection, even if I this means that I have to pay premium prices. If that's not possible for some reason, I would have no problem to donate, even if some of the donations are maybe used by the site admin for his own advantage. A good admin deserves the money for the risk he takes and the time he spends by running a good tracker for years.

A seedbox is only necessary for regular uploaders or people who want to spend 20+ hours a week in bittorrents IMO.

Well said. I agree with most of what you said except the last part. People have seedboxes for one real purpose and that is to seed. Whether they spend a few hours dealing with torrents or 10+, it's not the same for everyone. A seedbox helps many give back and buffer their accounts.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
it gives you a good warm and fuzzy feeling inside.. zz but seriously it does :)
:yup:
Try to remember, friends and family are important,this stuff is just a pleasant diversion.
If your spending too much time worrying about this you should reevaluate your priorities.The sunshine's still free after all.
And buy the occasional game or movie. Saves on bandwidth and great art deserves supporting(sorry don't hit me).

Seedboxes are another form of elitism. The best ratio is no more than 2:1 allows other people a chance to seed.I willing to be proven wrong though.

GoldStoNe
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm.. it seems that more member here prefer donation over buying seedboxes. Just curious, which site in your opinion has the best deal of upload credit per $? A known tracker has a promo now of double up [60gb for 15€; 100gb for 25€; etc.] Is it true that there are pay-to-leech sites? I heard of sites where you can "donate" to join them or even get invites for your friends..

stoi
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
you can do all of the above on nearly all sites.

i dont agree with it at all though, so you cant on BCG.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
you can do all of the above on nearly all sites.

i dont agree with it at all though, so you cant on BCG.

How about upload credit for time seeding then?

stoi
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
thats completely different, at least your trying to seed, your not just paying to get out of the shit you got yourself into.

The Gladiator
04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Hmm.. it seems that more member here prefer donation over buying seedboxes. Just curious, which site in your opinion has the best deal of upload credit per $? A known tracker has a promo now of double up [60gb for 15€; 100gb for 25€; etc.] Is it true that there are pay-to-leech sites? I heard of sites where you can "donate" to join them or even get invites for your friends..

BitMeTV

Check the review and see how it works, you can check SCT to and compare both.

newswalker
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Just curious, which site in your opinion has the best deal of upload credit per $?
The best site is the site that has the files you want. ;)

The Flying Cow
04-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I totally agree with KravenX. This donation stuff is bullshit. If you want to be all 1337tsy w337tsy and make a tracker, then make sure you work a job in real life and can pay for it. WTF is this donate bs?

It's meant to be FREE. At least that's how the site managers get it - so why the hell should anyone pay for that crap?

Also, to whoever answered my inital post. Of course I used PayPal, do I look retarded? I mean who the fuck gives out their credit card info on the net? I think my DOG would know not to. I'm saying his card got haxxed through paypal transactions, somehow. That's all I know.

aaatoel
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I think that donations should only be without gb exchange! I am not very fond of p2l and I could donate only when I reaaaaly like a site!

predateur
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
the best idea is : (2) get a seedbox,

donate-to-leech is very stupid thing
donate to help the tracker is another thing
if you wanna donate to download get newsgroup its much more better

iamKy666
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I think that a line with 100kbps upload is enough to keep a good 1:1 ratio on tha majority of trackers(unless we r talking about a very small community)...not easy,but it can be done with the right management:cool:.
Now,for the trackers that most users have 100/10,no,you can't survive...and in my opinion being part of a trackers that requires you to pay every month a donation or a seed box is a bit unhealthy for my pocket:cry:So,i just dont even try to join them until i have the ideal connection.
Instead of the upload matter,personally ive donated to trackers,not because i had to survive,but just because i like the things they offer.The price you give to a donation is nothin in front of what you would spend in real life to get it...and IF,it was availabable at stores....if you know what i mean...:whistling...
Its a good move to support the ppl who give all these stuff to the community,and i dont give a shit if they make money from it or not.PERIOD.:D

Simulador
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
he shouldnt be in private trackers cause of his connection? that just crazy

my top upload speed is 22/23 kbs and i have a great ratio in all my private trackers,and i have a lot,and very good ones...i have never been kicked out of a tracker and that speed is the most i can get...why shouldnt i be in private trackers?

sacebac
04-08-2008, 12:51 AM
he shouldnt be in private trackers cause of his connection? that just crazy

my top upload speed is 22/23 kbs and i have a great ratio in all my private trackers,and i have a lot,and very good ones...i have never been kicked out of a tracker and that speed is the most i can get...why shouldnt i be in private trackers?

I agree with you, has i said behind, my upload max speed is 25kb/s and i have good buffers there, its all about patient........
And if the people who have slow connection like me dont have private trackers, those only have a few peers............

Nemrod
04-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Before I used to donate very often, only once for buying ratio.
Now, due to restrictions in my country for making payments via internet Iīm donating less, but I manage myself and I still do it and I will make everything in my hands for keeping that way.
Uploading trillions of Gb, writing thousands of posts in forums or chatting 30 hours/day on irc donīt pay the bills.

nolimit2008
04-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Donations are good! because we have to help to keep trackers forever.

dythim
04-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Regardless of what the donations are being used for, yes, they are a great thing. These private bt communities are great and wonderful so it requires little effort on our part so support them however we can as active and contributing members.

donvito
04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
i recently donated to my fav tracker, and i felt good about it. just knowing that you are helpin, even in a small way, its nice.

predateur
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
i recently donated to my fav tracker, and i felt good about it. just knowing that you are helpin, even in a small way, its nice.

his problem is not help or dont help the tracker, he want help his sitation and donate for upload credit is soooo stupide !!! will you for ever donate to leech ?

stoi
04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
well..

when we tried to have no bonuses at all for donations, lets just say it didnt work.

we dont get a lot of donations anyway, probably 0.2% of a trackers userbase will donate (and thats a top heavy estimate). and when we got rid of all benefites that plumetted to 0.05 (i was never any good at maths so these nubers are not spot on lol)

My point is, without incentives and benefits, most members just wont donate, they expect something in return, if you dont give them anything, they donate elsewhere to somewhere that they do get something in return.

not a lot of members would cry if any tracker went down due to lack of funds, it would be

"oh well, good while it lasted, now lets see what can replace it"

we already have a ready made replacement for us anyway, Nemesyz, ive got nothing to do with that tracker, but i bet if we went down, everyone would jump on that bandwagon.

no tracker is irreplacable, but if no one donated, or if trackers didnt offer incentives to donate, then trackers wouldnt last long (not big trackers that need beasts of servers anyway)

soulreaper
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I always thought of torrenting to be free but in sites like bmtv where keeping a ratio is seriously hard, I might donate for some upload credit. I've got a pathetic connection(you wouldn't wanna know) and no matter what ISP i choose the result is the same. This would benefit me and would benefit the site too. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Lastly i'd like to tell those who're against "pay2leech", not everyone has a fast connection so don't alienate yourself from the realities of life.

The Flying Cow
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
soulreaper keeping a positive ratio simply depends on your managerial skills.

us with lower upstreams just have to organize out leeching, prioritywise. download stuff that is very popular, for example. the best strategy is to download something that is very big in size (30GB or +) and very popular. this way you will get over 1.5 ratio on it.

keep doing that, and with the buffer you can now get things that are less leeched, and seeded. rarer stuff you know less people will want.

and no, nobody needs to pay. if you want to help out, thats fine, and thank the community, perfectly understandable. but: firstly, beware of the dangers of some shady staff, that pirate your credit card through paypal fraud, and secondly, you never have to pay. it goes against what we do. its meant to be free.

people paying are usually paying for news access. and even then you can also get it free, if you're smart enough.

paying is only a last and desperate measure. and even then, it should be very carefully considered beforehand.

stoi
04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
surely if the staff of a tracker, done that, then your friend could have got his money back and took them to the cleaners.

this is the first time i have ever heard of this happening, i have never done it and never will, but if you were so sure it was the tracker, you should have hauled them over coals to get the cash back.

and like i mentioned, we have had 0 benefits, and we got 0 donations while we had 0 benefits (mind you our benefits are not extravagant and we do not sell Gigs) but we had to put them back on just to get some donations in.

Nemrod
04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
and no, nobody needs to pay. if you want to help out, thats fine, and thank the community, perfectly understandable. but: firstly, beware of the dangers of some shady staff, that pirate your credit card through paypal fraud, and secondly, you never have to pay. it goes against what we do. its meant to be free.

OK, nobody needs to pay... you and me and thousands of people download all we want, but... wait!... who pays the bills?, because, my friend, servers cost money, they canīt go to their datacenter and pay the bill with invites or with statistics.
Or do you expect that besides giving you that service they have to pay from their own pocket?.
I donīt mean that they get rich, but at least, at least... they must get what they pay in cash, not in promises or ethereal things with the excuse of "this wonderful sharing world of ours".
No money, no servers.... no servers, not a shit. Just as simple as that.
And once they receive that amount, weīll still owe them their time and dedication, and letīs not get into risks they have, etc, etc.

JROQuinn
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Why are people against p2l anyway? You still have to seed for a certain amount of time anyway & after that time is up there are so many seeders with seed boxes that people with lower speeds cant reach that 1:1 ratio anyway. So pay to leech, you are helping yourself & the tracker. Also who cares what they do with the money. As long as the site is maintained as it should. Its not like we are donating to cure aids or cancer.
But I dont donate, I would but I have reasons for being financially strapped for the time being.

but its easy to seed & keep a good ratio & buffer. Just dont ever delete until you get there. If you can afford to donate then you can afford to get a good deal on a hard drive.

this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-10-tips-and-tricks-private-bittorrent-sites-286077) will help with seeding

Nemrod
04-08-2008, 11:37 PM
And one more thing I forgot: donations itīs something you make if you want, itīs not something you have to do or get a ban. Itīs a choice.
Iīve been torrenting since the beginning, and no matter what some people say, Iīve never seen anybody banned or disabled for not donate.
And as somebody said before... there is nothing more fair and less demanding than give at least what you get... buying upload helps a lot to those who donīt have a good connection. Itīs a better option than being disabled because you canīt give back what you got.
Unfortunately -Stoi correct me if I am wrong- without donors, no private trackers... or a parade of publicity, ads and tons of crap.

stoi
04-08-2008, 11:48 PM
well i can only say about us.

No donations = i couldnt afford to pay it, even if i had a decent job, tbh why should i pay it all, not meaning that to sound nasty, but i have put 4-5 years into it, i dont even really use it anymore tbh, so its there for yous, not for me. so if i had to fork out the cash every month, then i dont think it would last long.

we also tried ads on the site, those didnt work either, with adblock no one ever sees them, also we do not get that many hits a day (not compared to public trackers, TPB etc) so i can see how they can make a forune, but for us, it just wasnt worth it.

But if the RIAA is correct, most P2P is run by Criminals and Terrorists (why they would want to i have no idea though lol) so maybe those ones dont need any donations and will stay alive forever.

Zaxx
04-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't mind donating to my fav trackers at all. I pick one about every other month and usually give ~$20 US. I don't do it for the 'GBs' really, I have a 20Mb/2Mb line..ratios are easy, I give cuz I know from personal experience(s) what it takes to run a 0Day tracker...money and LOTS of work/time spent. If the site I donate to happens to give GBs for donations...so be it...it's all good. ;)

claudandus
04-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Seedboxes are another form of elitism. The best ratio is no more than 2:1 allows other people a chance to seed.I willing to be proven wrong though.

not in all cases ^^, seederboxes are also used by some people just to keep old torrents (who almost noone ever snatches animore alive :)). (not to mention that most sites use a seederbox to ensure decent speeds on new stuff)

personally i have a small 10 megabits fiberline, which is more than enough to keep older stuff alive for people, (everyone always will snatch older stuff eventually) and to also join in on fresh stuff, and try to give everyone a piece of the speeds they deserve :)

what acocunts to donations, its up to you :) tough, if you want to spend more than 50 bucks at once, i seriously could suggest you to get a small 10 megabits unmetered box at leaseweb, or vectoral, and then send some small bucks to the smaller sites who can really use the money as a financial buffer on the lesser months, as almost everyone who donates, only donates to the bigger sites, who in their turn, reward you with some stuff which should be free in the furst place :shutup:

also, every self respecting site, has their own ircchannel, which usually also can provide a small reward in the form of an irc-idlebonus(which can give you a small push into the right way :) ), and you can mostly find out of which quality the staffers are on the site :), as staff and sysops who treat their userts bad, are usually just a bunch of dumbfucks irl too:P

KravenX
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
But if the RIAA is correct, most P2P is run by Criminals and Terrorists (why they would want to i have no idea though lol) so maybe those ones dont need any donations and will stay alive forever.

I wouldn`t be surprised if RIAA will say that p2p owners were involved in 9/11 attacks :lol:

IdolEyes787
04-09-2008, 05:01 PM

not in all cases ^^, seederboxes are also used by some people just to keep old torrents (who almost noone ever snatches animore alive :)).

personally i have a small 10 megabits fiberline, which is more than enough to keep older stuff alive for people, (everyone always will snatch older stuff eventually) and to also join in on fresh stuff, and try to give everyone a piece of the speeds they deserve :)

I think that you're in a tiny minority,but it's nice to now that there are people like you out there.:)

soulreaper
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
soulreaper keeping a positive ratio simply depends on your managerial skills.

us with lower upstreams just have to organize out leeching, prioritywise. download stuff that is very popular, for example. the best strategy is to download something that is very big in size (30GB or +) and very popular. this way you will get over 1.5 ratio on it.

keep doing that, and with the buffer you can now get things that are less leeched, and seeded. rarer stuff you know less people will want.

people paying are usually paying for news access. and even then you can also get it free, if you're smart enough.

paying is only a last and desperate measure. and even then, it should be very carefully considered beforehand.

Thx for the tip but it's hard to implement managerial skills with an updown speed of 20kb each but you probably knew that already.

The Flying Cow
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
it is hard, not impossible.

i managed on a 1mbit connection for 2/3 years to leech and upload from many private trackers. my upload speek max was around 30kb/s usually. and maybe even that is exaggerating. so...as i said, its not impossible.

and yes, of course servers cost money, and help is good, i think some people like Nemrod didn't read my post completely...i did state those obvious factors. BTW if people make trackers they obviously have to understand that it's gonna cost money, so if there aren't money-making schemes on the side, or some startup cash, then why bother? i mean it's not like all of us NEED this...there are private stros as well, and news...BT is not the ultimate dl'ing source...so no, i don't think we should all be forced to pay to keep our ratio up (in some sites like BitMe, BitSoup, etc). it's a fuc*ing scam.

what i mean is i have had rough experience in the past with this kind of thing, and so it is natural that i should be wary of donating atm. at least to Pisexy. and no, i didn't invent this. i had already seen with some shares from other priv-trackers warnings about pisexy's paypal fraud antics. and then it happened to me.

ultimately, i'm just giving my carefully thought out advice to the original poster of this thread. frankly you can think what you like (those who somehow seem to miss my obvious logic), it's not like my opinion/experience is going to change regardless.

messi30
04-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, I donated money to few trackers, the money donated help keep trakers running.

FaustoFerret
04-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I donated to TL once, they haven given a lot to me, and I think it's the right thing to do to give something back!

Proph13
04-10-2008, 01:21 AM
I've donated to a private tracker before and don't see anything wrong with it. If you get upload credit for it... still seed back at least 1:1! Don't just hnr.

sanjana
04-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Donation is really helps the site and seedbox helps you...

However if you see pros and cons of each then I recommend to donate to the site that you think the site really needs it and secondly if you think the site that you need it, I mean u leech it just go for seed box...