PDA

View Full Version : "Access is denied"

OmaRin0
04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey,
i have a file that everytime that i to enter it gives me this error:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2cwsgon.jpg

can anybody tell me how to enter this? (before formating the pc and installing the new HDD that i have got, i could enter this file normally..)

thx

mbucari1
04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
You aren't the owner of the file, you need to take ownership and give yourself full permission.

Go to run, paste the following command and run it.

cacls e:\docume~1\omarino /e /g YourUserName:f

OmaRin0
04-09-2008, 03:30 AM
You aren't the owner of the file, you need to take ownership and give yourself full permission.

Go to run, paste the following command and run it.

cacls e:\docume~1\omarino /e /g YourUserName:f

cool now i could enter the file
but the files that are in it are locked too:

http://i26.tinypic.com/33wtzqu.jpg

i already tried to write this command to open the file:

e:\docume~1\omarino\my documents /e /g (myusername):f

but i couldn't enter the file..

what is the command?
thx

lynx
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
You need the same permissions to be passed to lower directories and files.
Repeat the original command, but add "/t" option.

The full command now looks like this:
cacls e:\docume~1\omarino /t /e /g YourUserName:f

mbucari1
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
thanks lynx ;)

OmaRin0
04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
even if i try that command, it don't work!!

any help?

lynx
04-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Remember, you need to have administrative rights.

Also, don't miss off the first bit "cacls" like you did in your post. That's the program that does the work.

Unless you've installed Vista, in which case you need to use a new program "icacls". In that case the command you need is:
icacls e:\docume~1\omarino /setowner YourUserName /t

If you aren't sure why it is failing, open a command prompt and type the command there. That way you get to see the results of the command and you can tell us what it says.

OmaRin0
04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
now i remember..:
before formating the pc, the user that is called omarino (the one that i wanna enter it) was protected by password..
so i formatted the pc without removing the pass before...

is that the reason that i can't enter the file??
will i have a chance to open it?

btw, i'm the adminstrator of this pc..

vampiro
04-09-2008, 05:13 PM
you could always try giving unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

a go that usually does it all with out having to use command prompts.

OmaRin0
04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
you could always try giving unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

a go that usually does it all with out having to use command prompts.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2gxr9g0.jpg

:(

mbucari1
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Try this procedure

-go to my computer and select tools>folder options
-in folder options, click the view tab. At the bottom, deselect "use simple fie sharing".
-now right click the user folder and select "sharing and security"
-click "advanced" then click the "owner" tab.
-select your user name and check the box at the bottom that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" click apply.
-go back to the "permissions" tab and select your username.
-click "edit" and check the box that says "full control" click ok.
-check the box that says "replace permission entries ...". click apply ( click yes on any warnings).
-click OK to leave the security window.
-enter the folders

lynx
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
One thought, the user name you are using in the command has to be your username NOW, not the username you used originally (if it is different).

Unlocker won't help you with this problem, it has a completely different purpose.

vampiro
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
chosse the delet option and it will delet it on boot up

OmaRin0
04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Try this procedure

-go to my computer and select tools>folder options
-in folder options, click the view tab. At the bottom, deselect "use simple fie sharing".
-now right click the user folder and select "sharing and security"
-click "advanced" then click the "owner" tab.
-select your user name and check the box at the bottom that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" click apply.
-go back to the "permissions" tab and select your username.
-click "edit" and check the box that says "full control" click ok.
-check the box that says "replace permission entries ...". click apply ( click yes on any warnings).
-click OK to leave the security window.
-enter the folders

It worked!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
thx mate, i really mean it!!

<3 mbucari1 <3
<3 FST <3

mbucari1
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
It worked!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
thx mate, i really mean it!!

<3 mbucari1 <3
<3 FST <3
Awesome, glad I could help :)

lynx
04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Strange that cacls didn't fix it, it should do exactly the same from the "run" box.

Of course, a single typo would screw it up, and running it from the command line may have shown what was wrong.

Still, glad to see that it is sorted.

masterg
04-11-2008, 04:14 AM
You have to change the permission of that folder which you want to open.Actually that folder or directry does not give you permission to open that for this you go to properties of that folder then security and set the permission to administrator and u r also logon from administrator .

sanjana
04-12-2008, 07:27 PM
In order to fix this, Please Go to the Folder Options from Tools in the Explorer and click on the View> scroll down to till last and uncheck the feature called Simple file sharing.. and click on OK.

Once you do this, please go back to the Parent folder and file that you want to delete and then right click on the folder and then click on the security and then click on the add button and type Everyone in the box and click on OK and select the full control after adding Everyone

Then Click on the OK..

This way you should be able to delete the folder... I hope this will fix the issue....Let me know if you still have same problem

mbucari1
04-13-2008, 12:42 AM
In order to fix this, Please Go to the Folder Options from Tools in the Explorer and click on the View> scroll down to till last and uncheck the feature called Simple file sharing.. and click on OK.

Once you do this, please go back to the Parent folder and file that you want to delete and then right click on the folder and then click on the security and then click on the add button and type Everyone in the box and click on OK and select the full control after adding Everyone

Then Click on the OK..

This way you should be able to delete the folder... I hope this will fix the issue....Let me know if you still have same problemDid you readn ANY of the subsequent posts or just the first one. The problem has been resolved using the method you suggested.