PDA

View Full Version : Winzip And Winrar

LeonHart
08-06-2003, 03:01 PM
If I already have WinZip do I need Winrar? I've been downloading some games and I realized that their extensions have .rar. Can WinZip also handle these or do I need Winrar to deal with these specifically?

sharedholder
08-06-2003, 03:07 PM
If I already have WinZip do I need Winrar?YES.
[/QUOTE]Can WinZip also handle these
NO.
I need Winrar to deal with these specifically? [QUOTE]YES because winzip does not manage the rar files.

lynx
08-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Winzip won't handle .rar files - this is a proprietary format and is aggressively protected by the makers.

Strictly speaking .zip format is also proprietary, but the license is not as restrictive so there are a lot of progs which can unpack this format.

I use Winrar by default for unpacking files.
But I use Winzip for creating archives, simply because people are more likely to have an extractor.

LeonHart
08-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help! :)
BTY which is the best version of WinRAR?

VB
08-06-2003, 03:48 PM
The newest one.

shareshareshare
08-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Or, alternatively, you could just get WinAce... :D

sharedholder
08-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Or IzArc is freeware and works fine http://www.florida.plus.com/izarc/

shn
08-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Winrar is the best as opposed to winzip (in my opinion). Because winrar can handle just about any type of compression. And it can make zip when files when winzip can make rar files at least I dont think it can. :unsure:

mail2me
08-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2003 - 15:10
Winzip won't handle .rar files - this is a proprietary format and is aggressively protected by the makers.

Strictly speaking .zip format is also proprietary, but the license is not as restrictive so there are a lot of progs which can unpack this format.

I use Winrar by default for unpacking files.
But I use Winzip for creating archives, simply because people are more likely to have an extractor.
You don't need WinZip if you have WinRAR. WinRAR gives more uncompression support especially for RAR files but set it up so that it will compress in Zip format by default because Zip is still the de facto standard and one format that every single archiver program supports. Windows XP supports Zip files even without a third party archiver program.

Get the latest but corporate edition of WinRAR if you can because it doesn't require a crack or serial.

You need WinRAR even if you have WinZip but you don't need WinZip if you have WinRAR.