PDA

View Full Version : My CD burner doesn't burn at 52x

purelykhaotic
08-06-2003, 05:03 PM
I bought a new 52x CD-R. When i first bought it the damn thing only burned at 32x with Nero, Nero Express, Easy CD Creator 4, and Easy CD Creator 5 Plat.

NOW the bastard only burns at 16x!!! WHY...and more importantly how do i fix it!?

Proper Bo
08-06-2003, 05:16 PM
maybe the 52x is the read speed ;)

thisiswhoweare
08-06-2003, 05:18 PM
wasnt there a similar thread which got closed because of the nature of the title?

purelykhaotic
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
it is a 52x24x52 so yea 52x is the read spped but it should also be teh write speed to. and what nature of my title...the word gay? would it help if i explained my definition
Gay- the 2003 word for jerk, simillar to the word fag, which is slang for any other name along the same lines

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 05:25 PM
isn't there a documentary on this..."when machines turn gay"?

http://mysite.freeserve.com/MSchumiFTP/dry.gif

Somebody1234
08-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Perhaps the media you are trying to write to is not rated 52x.

It can also be limited by some other factors also like the speed of your PC.

purelykhaotic
08-06-2003, 05:26 PM
LOL...i'll be right back...i'll go check my local library.

purelykhaotic
08-06-2003, 05:28 PM
i've tried Audio...Data...VCD. i don't think it is because of my computer...it is fairly new... XP 1800+, 383 DDR RAM, XP Pro. Could it be the brand it is an Artec CD-R....?? What data is rated 52x???

Shiranai_Baka
08-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Some CD&#39;s have speed limits too.. it might not say.. but try getting different CDs? <_<

boyzeee
08-06-2003, 06:25 PM
yeh 52x is the maximum rated for ya drive and that will depend on the discs u using and the source it reading from being able to keep up ie ya cdrom drive or harddrive. it very unlikely that you will get it to burn at 52x, its a ploy by manufacturers to buy there kit. fastest ive ever burned at was 40x and that was copying data from my hard drive using nero. anyway 32x is quick enough aint it? i mean my car will do 150mph top but i never gonna see if it will&#33; :D

smellmycomputer
08-06-2003, 09:57 PM
is it an external drive? i&#39;ve hear of external burners that are rated a certain speed, but you can only get half the speed with USB, and to gett the ful speed you need to use firewire. just a thought

james_bond_rulez
08-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by purelykhaotic@6 August 2003 - 17:03
I bought a new 52x CD-R. When i first bought it the damn thing only burned at 32x with Nero, Nero Express, Easy CD Creator 4, and Easy CD Creator 5 Plat.

NOW the bastard only burns at 16x&#33;&#33;&#33; WHY...and more importantly how do i fix it&#33;?
u got scammed

return the shit for ur money back

nothing, *NOTHING* writes at 52X and be successful

jonathan_tijuana
08-06-2003, 10:23 PM
james_bond_rulez

*NOTHING*writes at 52X and be successful

what do you mean by that? that anything you burn at that speed is not successful?

if is that i had burned some cds at that speed and everything was just good.

james_bond_rulez
08-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@6 August 2003 - 22:23
james_bond_rulez

*NOTHING*writes at 52X and be successful

what do you mean by that? that anything you burn at that speed is not successful?

if is that i had burned some cds at that speed and everything was just good.
damn rich ppl ;D

Lamsey
08-06-2003, 11:00 PM
52x burners work fine at full speed:

If you have the right media
If it has the correct drivers installed
If your computer is capable of transferring data to the burner at that speed

your problem is most likely one of the the above.

And I&#39;m editing your topic title as is it offensive - you may not have meant for it to be, but it is.

balamm
08-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Let&#39;s not forget DMA/PIO settings.... you might want to check the cdrom properties in device manager.

Keikan
08-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Uhh check your cd-r/cd-rws like the cd-r&#39;s i use the memorex ones are only 48x and the cd-rws are only 4x

lynx
08-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Another point to remember is that until recently nearly all writers worked on constant linear velocity (CLV) whilst writing, but use constant angular velocity (CAV) when reading. This gives the opportunity to read much faster at the outer edges of the cd than at the centre, but the recording rate is constant throughout.

The drives which have recently come on to the market now use CAV for recording, which allows them to record at higher rates at the outer edges compared to the centre. So whilst they are physically capable of recording at 52x speed, they only do so at the outer edges of the cd, inner areas are likely to be recorded at much lower speeds (perhaps only 16x), and the average for a full cd will be nowhere near 52x, perhaps 32x or even worse..

If you are measuring performance by the time it takes to record the disk, this may be the effect you are observing.

boyzeee
08-07-2003, 01:38 AM
The drives which have recently come on to the market now use CAV for recording, which allows them to record at higher rates at the outer edges compared to the centre. So whilst they are physically capable of recording at 52x speed, they only do so at the outer edges of the cd, inner areas are likely to be recorded at much lower speeds (perhaps only 16x), and the average for a full cd will be nowhere near 52x, perhaps 32x or even worse..

very well put :D

_John_Lennon_
08-07-2003, 01:53 AM
As for the 52x thing, I believe I remember reading an article that the CD writers, and CD&#39;s are really more writing and reading at 50x, and were not likely to see the number go much higher than that with current CD technology, because at any higher, the CD&#39;s become unstable ans begin to break and fly apart.

Just what I read. :unsure:

lynx
08-07-2003, 02:06 AM
If they were reading/recording at 52x CLV you may be right, the rotational speed when recording near the centre of the disk would have to be over 3 times faster than it is at present. In other words probably in excess of 10000 rpm.

I don&#39;t know whether this would cause the disks to actually &#39;fly apart&#39;, but I don&#39;t think I would want to risk it.

Cd read speeds have not increased much in the past few years for this very reason, vibrations and high rotational speeds mean higher error rates, making it almost impossible to get a meaningful performance gain.

And of course errors when writing would be unacceptable.

_John_Lennon_
08-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2003 - 21:06
If they were reading/recording at 52x CLV you may be right, the rotational speed when recording near the centre of the disk would have to be over 3 times faster than it is at present. In other words probably in excess of 10000 rpm.

I don&#39;t know whether this would cause the disks to actually &#39;fly apart&#39;, but I don&#39;t think I would want to risk it.

Cd read speeds have not increased much in the past few years for this very reason, vibrations and high rotational speeds mean higher error rates, making it almost impossible to get a meaningful performance gain.

And of course errors when writing would be unacceptable.
Im not saying they will fly apart on first trying, but it makes the disc crack, and of course, if its spinning, and it cracks all the way through, what do you think will happen? <_<

Happened to an old game disc of mine, not due to read speeds or anything, but it cracked, and umm, yeah, back goes the CD drive to the factory.... Made horrible grinding noises, and it seemed to be scratching up CD&#39;s after that, which didnt suprise me, seeing as how I only pulled like 3/4 of the cd back out......

purelykhaotic
08-07-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2003 - 20:34

If you are measuring performance by the time it takes to record the disk, this may be the effect you are observing.
mine is Brand new and it says CLV...i am measuring it based on the Max. Read speed that the Prog says (in the dropdown box that you can change the speed). i don&#39;t know what is going on i didn&#39;t have this problem with my old cd burner. it burned at it&#39;s max fine...even though it was only 12x

Dalegas
08-07-2003, 02:45 AM
You may got it wrong in first place... try changing it..
I had a SONY (OEM) .. and it really wasn&#39;t a sonmy.. so i got an LG, and presto&#33;.. works just fine.

lynx
08-07-2003, 03:49 AM
Strictly speaking, they do work at CLV, it would be virtually impossible for them to adjust the recording rate to work at true CAV. But the CLV is not constant across the full width of the disk.
It is actually what is called Zoned CLV, in other words the width of the disk is split into zones, and they work at a particular speed depending where on the disk they are recording.

What software are you using ? If it is Nero, make sure you have run Drivespeed to set the drive parameters.

Otherwise, if the drop down box says the maximum speeed is lower than you are expecting, you probably have a problem with your media, this information actually comes from the media itself.

Or of course, you may need to get a later version of the software if it doesn&#39;t recognise the possibility of high speed media.

3rd gen noob
08-07-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by boyzeee@6 August 2003 - 19:25
yeh 52x is the maximum rated for ya drive and that will depend on the discs u using and the source it reading from being able to keep up ie ya cdrom drive or harddrive. it very unlikely that you will get it to burn at 52x, its a ploy by manufacturers to buy there kit. fastest ive ever burned at was 40x and that was copying data from my hard drive using nero. anyway 32x is quick enough aint it? i mean my car will do 150mph top but i never gonna see if it will&#33; :D
i actually burn at 52x rather a lot

i have not had one cd which doesn&#39;t work, be it a music cd, data cd or video cd...

http://mysite.freeserve.com/MSchumiFTP/burn2.JPG

p.s. what kind of car you got? sounds pretty fast...:P

boyzeee
08-07-2003, 09:30 AM
p.s. what kind of car you got? sounds pretty fast...

alfa romeo 156 2.5v6, had since new, 4yrs old now and its italian so its always been rattle&#39;ee and bit temperemental, but i love the fact i can still get out of it with a smile on me face :D :D :D

3rd gen noob
08-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by boyzeee@7 August 2003 - 10:30
alfa romeo 156 2.5v6, had since new, 4yrs old now and its italian so its always been rattle&#39;ee and bit temperemental, but i love the fact i can still get out of it with a smile on me face :D :D :D
alfa v6&#39;s are some of the best engine&#39;s in the world

the sound of them is fantastic

nice car :D

p.s. who cares about squeaks and rattles when the engine sounds that good, i suppose...:P

Lamsey
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Not more car spam, please...

DWk
08-11-2003, 11:48 AM
got to do with 4 different issues -

1st: the speed the cds can be burned....most right now are 48x
2nd: ur HDD rpm.... usually a 7200rpm hdd will get the job done
3rd: ur RAM....if u wanna burn FAST, u need to have at least 256ram....since the buffers are actually ram buffers
4th:the burner.... if it has buffer underrun protection its better cuz it burns fast and easy without a hassle

DWk

lynx
08-11-2003, 04:08 PM
I&#39;ve seen this exact problem this weekend, with NERO 6 on WinXP (I don&#39;t know which bit causes the problem).

The solution seemed to be to run the Nero CD/DVD Speed tests, then reboot the pc.
After rebooting, run Nero DriveSpeed, select the drive, select options and press &#39;detect&#39;.
For some reason, this seems to correct the fault and allows reading and writing at the correct speeds.

Amarjit
08-11-2003, 05:19 PM
My CD-RW is 24x10x40x, yes I know it&#39;s slow, but it gets the job done well, considering I bought it over a year ago now, but I seem to be able to burn at full speed, only if I buy good CD-R/RWs, if I use Maxell or Packard Bell CD-Rs I can get 24x but when I use Sony, I can only achieve 16x.

Ripshod
08-14-2003, 12:14 PM
:o Are You Usind A Gigagyte Mobo? I&#39;m having similar probs with a GA-7VAXP