PDA

View Full Version : Regional Accents

chalice
04-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Ever heard your own voice on tape? It shatters your illusions no end.

When I hear people on the radio from my home town, I cringe like fuck. I can't stand my own accent.

I'd rather sound like Stephen fucking Hawking.

Do you like the sound of your own voice? And if not, what kind of accent would you like to have?

CrabGirl
04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Mine is weird. Sort of well-spoken (without being posh) with a hint of London twang and Devonshire Burr.

When I'm angry it's more Londony, and when I'm drunk it becomes more Devony.

I can't stand the sound of it.

J-dye
04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
sometimes when on phone my speech echoes back and it sucks to hear a completly different voice :dabs:

what kind of accent would i like to have ??

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/snatch/benicio_del_toro/snatch.jpg

franky four fingers ftw :lol:

Biggles
04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I find listening to myself on tape horrible - don't know why it is just embarrassing. My accent is not fairly soft but I still cringe.

kaffeine
04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't like sound of my voice. It's too deep when I listen to it.

J-dye
04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
wait a min , was that franky four fingers in snatch or Fred Fenster in the usual suspects who had a funny accent ? :unsure:

chalice
04-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I traveled to New York a couple of years ago. This'll be great, says I, no language barriers like what you get in France and every other country in the world whose language I can't be arsed to learn.

It was worse than fucking Paris. No cunt could make out a word I was saying.

Found myself repeating myself to everybody. Think I might learn how to sign or something else. :dabs:

baksteen
i think i slurr a bit if i talk to fast. and i stutter sometimes with out realising it so no, i have got a south african accent :D

chalice
wait a min , was that franky four fingers in snatch or Fred Fenster in the usual suspects who had a funny accent ? :unsure:

Yes.

J-dye
04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
oh it was Benicio Del Toro as Fred Fenster in the usual suspects :D

jBzYFR5wIbI

:glag:

J-dye
04-11-2008, 06:03 PM
When you hear your voice recorded for the first time, it isn't usually something that you enjoy. It is a shock. Some wonder, "What's wrong with this equipment." Others are just stunned and flabbergasted.
It is actually quite a simple phenomenon though. How we think we sound is different then how we really sound.
Under normal circumstances our hearing is due to the sound waves on the air reaching our ears, "banging" our ear drums (yep that was a bad pun), vibrating the bones of the inner ear, stimulating the hair cells within the cochlea, changing into electronic signals which are then sent to the brain for interpretation. It is an amazing process, but the interpretation of sound is all based on sound waves.
There are a few things that can alter sound. For speaking purposes, the reason your voice sounds different when you speak then when you hear a recording of yourself is simple, it's all in your head. Not that you have gone crazy or anything, but the tissues and bones of your head effect the sound you hear. Your cochlea is stimulated by sound waves through the normal process, but also by the vibrations of your bones from the action of speaking. It causes you to hear yourself in two parts, the first out in the air through sound waves, and the second within yourself as vibrations.
The answer is simple, it's all in your head, literally!

:mellow:

baksteen
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
give me your keys you cockersucker

haha

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm told I sound like a posh Pakistani.

Bearing in mind that was by an adult bloke who sounds like a wee, posh, English lassie.

"I can't chat just now"

Fucking oaf.

chalice
04-11-2008, 06:11 PM
When you hear your voice recorded for the first time, it isn't usually something that you enjoy. It is a shock. Some wonder, "What's wrong with this equipment." Others are just stunned and flabbergasted.
It is actually quite a simple phenomenon though. How we think we sound is different then how we really sound.
Under normal circumstances our hearing is due to the sound waves on the air reaching our ears, "banging" our ear drums (yep that was a bad pun), vibrating the bones of the inner ear, stimulating the hair cells within the cochlea, changing into electronic signals which are then sent to the brain for interpretation. It is an amazing process, but the interpretation of sound is all based on sound waves.
There are a few things that can alter sound. For speaking purposes, the reason your voice sounds different when you speak then when you hear a recording of yourself is simple, it's all in your head. Not that you have gone crazy or anything, but the tissues and bones of your head effect the sound you hear. Your cochlea is stimulated by sound waves through the normal process, but also by the vibrations of your bones from the action of speaking. It causes you to hear yourself in two parts, the first out in the air through sound waves, and the second within yourself as vibrations.
The answer is simple, it's all in your head, literally!
:mellow:

Nice one.

That was good. Now I know why I sound like shite.

Snee
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I hate mine, in several languages.

I used to have a fairly good proper (posh-ish :dabs:) british accent when i used it daily at skewl, then I got really out of practice. My intonation got really mad for a bit, and that was so funny I kept doing it, ended up sounding a bit welsh.

Then I didn't speak any english for a couple of years, and the next time I had to speak any (with some exchange student mongs, and some germans when I was in Germany) I sounded like a merkin.

I'm even more out of practice now, so I expect I'd sound somewhat merkin but mostly ace of base, 'cept when I catch myself and start pronuncing some words with a british accents :dabs:

In other words, I'm all over the place.

It's 'cos of t'telly, see. There's not much british stuff on, and tons of the merkin.

My native accent, like, currently sounds a bit like I'm a hick. It used to be less marked, but I find that the less I communicate with people, the more I revert to my original dialect, which is terrible.

People used to mistake me with people from further up north, but not today.

In other languages I just sound like a menthol, trying my way forward, like.

I fucking hate my own voice as well :dabs:

chalice
04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Glagging at the Ace Of Base reference, Snee.

Noice.

Something Else
04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I sound londonese. :(

100%
04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I actually heard your (chalice) voice once on gmailtalk (or whatever it was called),
as i recall,
it was smooth, deep, resonatingly barreled confident manly tone mixed with a unique accent just to add a specific regional flavor and not banal cliche voice.

You do not need a Stephen Hawking's voice, although for a few quid i can slit the cords.

chalice
04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I actually heard your (chalice) voice once on gmailtalk (or whatever it was called),
as i recall,
it was smooth, deep, resonatingly barreled confident manly tone mixed with a unique accent just to add a specific regional flavor and not banal cliche voice.

You do not need a Stephen Hawking's voice, although for a few quid i can slit the cords.

Zed, barring the cutting my throat thing, that was the nicest thing anybody has ever said to me.

:01:

100%
04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes, apart from the radio broadcaster voice, the conversation itself was not as exciting.

It went something like this
"Hello?"
"Hello?"
"Helllllllloooo?"
"Can you hear me?"
zed types - i can hear you
"I can't hear you"
zed types - I do not have a microphone
"Damn shame that is"
zed types - i'm new to this, was just trying it out
"Fuck you newb"
zed types - No fuck you
"do you want to hear me sing?"
zed types - why not? hit it
"lalalala lola la la lola etc etc

I don't exactly remember the convo, but it was your basic i got technical failure typo thing.

chalice
04-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes, apart from the radio broadcaster voice, the conversation itself was not as exciting.

"Hello?"
"Hello?"
"Helllllllloooo?"
"Can you hear me?"
"I can't hear you"
"Damn shame that is"
"Fuck you newb"
zed types - No fuck you

I don't exactly remember the convo, but it was your basic i got technical failure typo thing.

Quality.

I have a much better singing voice. True story.

Maybe I should pretend life is a musical and everything'll be sorted.

But not Sweeney Todd, you fucking psychopath.

Biggles
04-11-2008, 08:22 PM

"Hello?"
"Hello?"
"Helllllllloooo?"
"Can you hear me?"
"I can't hear you"
"Damn shame that is"
"Fuck you newb"
zed types - No fuck you

Quality.

I have a much better sining voice. True story.

Maybe I should pretend life is a musical and everything'll be sorted.

But not Sweeney Todd, you fucking psychopath.

She said, "My boy, I think someday
You'll find a way
To make your natural tendencies pay
You'll be a dentist
You have a talent for causin' things pain
Son, be a dentist

sort of thing like

chalice
04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Little Shop Of Horrors ftw, Les.

You fucking genius who listens to the same type of musics as moi.

CrabGirl
04-11-2008, 11:29 PM

I knew it! :wub: :drool: :naughty:

brotherdoobie
04-11-2008, 11:46 PM

My wife also enjoys a proper Irish accent. I've tried numerous times to imitate an Irishman when I've been drinking (usually Bushmills) and she says; I sound like a gay Australian pirate with a hint of the Lucky Charms lad thrown in.

True story.

chalice
04-11-2008, 11:46 PM

If only that were true, sweetheart.

If you heard my brogue you'd kick me repeatedly in the teeth.

But, for me, it would be totally worth it.

chalice
04-11-2008, 11:48 PM

My wife also enjoys a proper Irish accent. I've tried numerous times to imitate an Irishman when I've been drinking (usually Bushmills) and she says; I sound like a gay Australian pirate with a hint of the Lucky Charms lad thrown in.

True story.

Multi-cultural marital sex ftw.

I just confused even myself there. :blink:

Lilmiss
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm, pinky out whilst drinking tea, hella porsh.

Believe it or not. :smilie4:

CrabGirl
04-12-2008, 12:08 AM

But I especially like the accent from Northern Irelandishire, and singing songs from my favorite musical would be totally win.

"Feed me Seymour" would sound awesome.

I must say the same doesn't go for women from Northern Ireland. I get them on the phone and there is something about the timbre of their voices which sets my eardrum physically rattling and I have to set my phone to "Harpy" to filter out the bad notes.

manicgeek
04-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I find listening to myself on tape horrible - don't know why it is just embarrassing. My accent is not fairly soft but I still cringe.

I'd cringe if I had an accent like that too ;)

j2k4
04-12-2008, 02:15 AM
I sound fine in all circumstances, and if I choose, I can sound positively awesome.

I'm quite sure you all sound fine as well, but lack confidence for some silly reason. :whistling

chalice
04-12-2008, 02:48 PM

But I especially like the accent from Northern Irelandishire, and singing songs from my favorite musical would be totally win.

"Feed me Seymour" would sound awesome.

I must say the same doesn't go for women from Northern Ireland. I get them on the phone and there is something about the timbre of their voices which sets my eardrum physically rattling and I have to set my phone to "Harpy" to filter out the bad notes.

That's an insult to harpies, like.

The female Belfast accent is a cruel and unusual punishment. As you know, I do the wages for a call centre with about three quarters of the staff being Belfast 'millies' (as we call them).

I pity the poor fuckers on the receiving end of their sales pitch. I'm used to it but their victims must feeling like they're getting their ears ironed.

CrabGirl
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Ironed? Punched with one of these more like.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/8973/som_pics/glove.jpg

Biggles
04-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Ironed? Punched with one of these more like.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/8973/som_pics/glove.jpg

Your winter gloves I see

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Had the misfortune to hear myself on video the other day and I sound awful :(. Bit like CG, in that my voice changes when drunk. I sound really Londonish then, hence acquiring the nickname 'cockney wanker' through uni. When sober I have a faintly Janet Street-Porterish way of pronouncing words, and on account of the tongue stud sometimes slur certain words, especially if they're a bit tongue-twisting.

On the subject of British accents in America, I found they tended to think I was Australian. They're just not used to hearing foreign accents from other developed countries I think :unsure:.

Something Else
04-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Your voice must be well messed up, like. Janet S-P. :lol:

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Tell me about it :(. I'm surprised I haven't had my head stoved in yet.

Something Else
04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
:lol: I'm more surprised that she hasn't.

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
She became 1000% safer when she stopped being the Editor of the Independent :dry:.

Biggles
04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
If JSP had a stud as well as the teeth would she be able to speak at all? :unsure:

With the JSP it is the opinions/voice/attitude combination that is so stoveable.

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I reckon she would actually sound normal. I vote we hunt her down and mutilate her tongue to find out. Who's with me?

chalice
04-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Here is a prime example of a Belfast millie.

She displays perfect stupidity and her voice is like a fire drill to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUNDvAGWMkY

Biggles
04-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I reckon she would actually sound normal. I vote we hunt her down and mutilate her tongue to find out. Who's with me?

That sounds like a blood sport for all the family.

Biggles
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Not sure if this will work. This gem was posted here years ago

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/belters/big_oggy.wav

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
She sounds like a nice lady!

chalice
04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Not sure if this will work. This gem was posted here years ago

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/belters/big_oggy.wav

Glag!!

You wanna take 50 quid ay my boay? I'll go doon there and take 50 quid outta yoor fuckin' face.

Quality. But painful quality.

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I loved the end bit! Psycho! :lol:

Biggles
04-12-2008, 03:53 PM
"I hope I haven't disturbed you"

class!

clocker
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
On the subject of British accents in America, I found they tended to think I was Australian. They're just not used to hearing foreign accents from other developed countries I think :unsure:.
Whereas the average Brit could unerringly differentiate between a Philadelphia accent and a Wisconsinite?

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I think probably I could distinguish accents from different continents.

Biggles
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Whereas the average Brit could unerringly differentiate between a Philadelphia accent and a Wisconsinite?

People live in Wisconsin? :O

chalice
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I will have no fights in this thread, thank youse very much.

Unless it's done in your respective regional vernaculars.

That would be nice.

Proper Bo
04-12-2008, 04:31 PM

The last merkin I spoke to said I spoke good english and asked where I learnt it. They thought I was dutch or something:dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
04-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I think probably I could distinguish accents from different continents.

:lol: :quality pwnage:

Mr JP Fugley
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM

There's a place called Wisconsin :O

Barbarossa
04-12-2008, 06:11 PM

The last merkin I spoke to said I spoke good english and asked where I learnt it. They thought I was dutch or something:dabs:

:glagpinch: :earl:

Snee
04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
WRT hearing the difference between accents, between continents.

I have problems distinguishing between some Australians and New Zeelanders talking, otherwise I reckon that isn't tricky.

I'm also pretty sure I can determine where some merkins are from in the U.S. Areas in places like Boston and Queens have fairly distinct accents. And at the very least I can tell if someone is from the north or south. Can't always keep all canadians apart from americans from up north, though.

To some extent I can do the same with british english. I can normally easily hear the difference between southerners, northeners, welsh and scots, at the very least. And I can also tell if someone is irish.

It's not even my native tongue :dabs: In fact, I'd say that the difference between some accents in english is easier to make out than the difference between some in my own language.

Obviously my interests and education has leaned towards languages in a big way. But even so, I still find it incredible when someone has a problem with hearing where some people with really thick accents are from.

I've noticed a few americans, people I know on the internet, referring to bands like Snow Patrol as english, or some australian/new zeelander as the same, though.

I wonder what I'd pass for in the U.S. :unsure:

I reckon the way Americans have a problem hearing the difference between stuff I think is obviously not the same has a lot to do with their media consumption, and a fair bit to do with that american english is less varied than british english.

Most stuff that airs in america has all americans talking, and often when there's a briton in some piece of fiction, he or she is played by an american with an american idea of what britons sound like, while british actors often try to sound american.

At the same time America has a lot less linguistic drift (if I remember my realia classes correctly), or less different accents. Which has something to do with America being settled by people only from some select parts of the british isles, from the british side of the equation. Obviously immigration from other parts of the world has affected american accents in different ways, but they still haven't caught up with the plethora of different ways of saying stuff there is in the UK, AFAIK.

That may mean the average american gets less practice hearing the difference between accents, like.

I dunno, really :idunno:

Not really sure why I bothered writing all that, like.

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, an' also the fact that their primary contact seems to be wiv people oo go there 'cos few Americans 'ave ever bin aahtside America mate.

(okay Chalice?)

clocker
04-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Yes, that's where Australia shipped all it's criminals.
Leading to the iconic phrase, "Throw a little lutefisk on the barbie, mate?"

Yeah, an' also the fact that their primary contact seems to be wiv people oo go there 'cos few Americans 'ave ever bin aahtside America mate.
True.
The one or two who do manage to leave the country seem to prefer Iraq to England, oddly enough.

Mr JP Fugley
04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, that's where Australia shipped all it's criminals.
Leading to the iconic phrase, "Throw a little lutefisk on the barbie, mate?"

Stop dabbling, I've told you before. It does you no favours.

clocker
04-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Must be my accent...

Squeamous
04-12-2008, 11:52 PM
True.
The one or two who do manage to leave the country seem to prefer Iraq to England, oddly enough.

That's because soldiers don't need passports. Seems an extreme way to avoid going to a bit of effort though :unsure:.

clocker
04-13-2008, 12:04 AM
That's because soldiers don't need passports. Seems an extreme way to avoid going to a bit of effort though :unsure:.
Not true.
Soldiers DO need passports.

WarrenBuffet
04-13-2008, 12:05 AM
My voice is beautiful.

Squeamous
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Not true.

Well knock me down with a feather.

trackrider
04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Soldiers here are also required to have passport. It seems it is one of the things changed with the increase in homeland security.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Not true.

Well knock me down with a feather.

Your facts are all over the place today

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Why would an invading force need a passport.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
It's to get back in isn't it.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
No that doesn't make sense, they would come back on a military plane so why would they need to go through passport control.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Hoi Clocker, why do soldiers need passports.

Biggles
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Hoi Clocker, why do soldiers need passports.

Most countries require at least three visa stamps before an invasion although they are allowed to skip the "do you intend to overthrow the government question".

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Do you know, Les.

I can't work it out.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I can understand if they are like just visiting a Country. I assume they must have one the same as anyone else, even if they are on military duties.

However not for the serious business of soldiering.

Biggles
04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I can understand if they are like just visiting a Country. I assume they must have one the same as anyone else, even if they are on military duties.

However not for the serious business of soldiering.

The US have huge numbers of soldiers posted in Japan, S Korea and Germany. These are not active roles as such and consequently they tend to go in and out under normal rules. Due to the rotation of troops most get a stint in one of these slots and therefore need a passport. I like the idea of lining up for a visa stamp though - very Duck Soup.

Squeamous
04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I couldn't be arsed with it last night.

Basically if you're travelling for private/civilian reasons you need one. I should also imagine that if you're going to a base overseas in peacetime different countries will have different passport/Visa requirements. If you're on military business invading a country like Iraq, you would only need a military ID. Clocker of course was suggesting that Americans prefer to go to Iraq because it's more fun than England (you can pretty much torture indiscriminately over there and no one tells you off if in high spirits you accidentally shoot a friend. There is also ice cream and McDonalds on demand). I made a humorous quip about it being a bit excessive to go to war just to avoid getting a passport given that last time I looked only a third of Americans had them. However this point managed to deftly sidestep the Clockmeister and caused a serious sense of humour failure. That's where we're at so far.

To bring us up to date, I can't quite see the invading American forces queueing up at Iraqi passport control languidly kicking the tracks of their tanks waiting for their passports to be checked, tutting loudly about how long it took for their luggage to come through on the carousel.

Mr JP Fugley
04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm taking that as a maybe, it depends.

Squeamous
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Manicgeek would know :shifty:

Biggles
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
To bring us up to date, I can't quite see the invading American forces queueing up at Iraqi passport control languidly kicking the tracks of their tanks waiting for their passports to be checked, tutting loudly about how long it took for their luggage to come through on the carousel.

Perhaps not - but in my world them would be the rules :shifty:

Clocker rarely has a failure on the humour front so one suspects he is being a bit of a tease :shifty:

Squeamous
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Ah! Then I should have got into a long boring dialogue about it rather than just giving up? I'll remember for next time.

Alien5
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Manicgeek would know if he ever watched the news :shifty: fixed :sly:

Squeamous
04-13-2008, 10:17 PM
:lol:

No, bad....mustn't laugh.....

clocker
04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
My only recent info re: soldiers and passports comes from my nephew who recently spent his spring break out here with me.
He is a third year cadet at West Point.

Whenever traveling off campus (base?) he is required to carry a special military passport, presumably for emergency use to reconnect to his assigned unit wherever they may have gotten to in his absence.

I have no idea what the procedure is when a unit is shipped overseas- obviously they do not go through Iraqi Customs (if such a thing even exists).

brotherdoobie
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
It depends. Some countries allow an U.S. military I.D. - to be used as a passport.

-bd

Something Else
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Using a U.S. Military I.D. as a passport is suicide. Shirley.

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/kitchen_20soldier.jpg

brotherdoobie
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Using a U.S. Military I.D. as a passport is suicide. Shirley.

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/kitchen_20soldier.jpg

Only if you're going to Wisconsin. They don't like us merkins.

-bd