PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get your foot in the door? (Metaphorically speaking)

ca_aok
04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
My dilemma at the moment is that I'm looking to get into a private music tracker (*NOTE* NOT A REQUEST), but I'm not really sure how to get started on the whole torrent trading scene. It seems like if I wanted an invite somewhere, I should have something to trade, as it's only fair. So I'm curious... how did you all get started? Is there a good site that's easy enough to get into, and then I could trade my way up? Or would it be better to just try to get decent ratios on some public trackers and then post those along with a speed test and hope that someone is feeling generous? Edit: Read my post at the end of this thread to see how this turned out in the end.

Horatiu
04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Well if you don't have any friends that might help you, don't lose your hope and begin trading.
You could make a decent request in the invite section.
Also a good way to get invites is through people (e-friends) from other trackers.

stoi
04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
tbh there is no "easy" way, trading is the easiest though but if you are a trader you have less chance of getting into the hard to get in sites.

There is no simple solution, what works for 1 may not work for others.

all i can suggest is to be active here and on any trackers that your a member off, get noticed (even just good posts) and the offers will come, but it may take awhile and wont be a 5 minute job so you will need patience.

whichever way you decide to go, you will get someone saying its the wrong way, so its your decision in the end.

PS: there are plenty private trackers that are open, sign up to those first and do the above.

Simulador
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
most of all people gave me away invite in DVDClub,SCC and a few less important ones...and i managed to register in TvT.ro which now its great!...

markupmaster
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's my advice..

1.Be active and help others with what you know so far,you will learn more and more as you go.
2.Share(not trade) what you have. Once you are seen sharing what you have and being active you will be rewarded.
3.Be active in your trackers and respect their rules. You will not get far without doing this.
4.Get to know other members and make a few friends.

I hope this helps!

:)

superclover
04-13-2008, 05:04 PM
dont trade
make friends by giving what you have

=]

Quylui
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Being active on FST will get you absolutely nowhere.

The torrent scene has evolved since it first started; trackers are much more particular about who they let in and who they refuse access to. Since the day the RIAA began attacking music "pirates", trackers have been progressively closing their "doors". This in turn caused an influx of file-sharers to try to "get their feet in the door" as you said. At the present time there is a massive amount of people trying to squeeze their way in to trackers who must continue to progressively continue shutting themselves out from the rest of the world.

In short, you are not alone in trying to "get your foot in the door".

There are members here at FST from every tracker, but I can nearly guarantee that nothing will come of a request from here. Make a name for yourself on other private trackers and you WILL be noticed. Make sure you upload quality rips consistently if you are planning on uploading.

Lastly, "trading" now carries a detrimentally negative connotation. While giving someone an invitation in return for another was once widespread and conventional, "trading" as it is reffered to now is something that could potentially ruin your reputation.

stitched
04-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Here's my advice..

1.Be active and help others with what you know so far,you will learn more and more as you go.
2.Share(not trade) what you have. Once you are seen sharing what you have and being active you will be rewarded.
3.Be active in your trackers and respect their rules. You will not get far without doing this.
4.Get to know other members and make a few friends.

I hope this helps!

yes listen to him ..it gonna take a while...trading is not a bad option...but its better if you avoid it....you can start with demonoid ..thats how i started

ca_aok
04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. A few things I've noted:
"Get noticed at private trackers"
I'd need to find some first of all. Would you recommend simply checking the ones that periodically open each day hoping to get lucky?

Don't these two contradict each other? I thought private sites generally kept tabs on the IPs being used by their users so that accounts can't be shared around.

As for friends who could help, my cousin recently got into waffles but he's not really sure about when he gets invites/whether he gets them period, so I figured I'd start looking around. Ultimately that's probably where I'd like to end up but I realize I need to start small.

dunson
04-13-2008, 05:32 PM
1. Be active here
2. ???
3. PROFIT!!!!!

superclover
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
when he said share i think he meant give out invites
waffles invites are given i think to PU and donators
also it is best not to trade, it makes earning higher tracker levels a lot easier when you have good friends and you will find you hold more respect

=]

markupmaster
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Actually I meant share the invites that you have..

ca_aok
04-13-2008, 05:35 PM
So would you say maybe try to get an invite to the level 2 torrent sites in the sticky, and then once I earn invitations at those just give them out?

IdolEyes787
04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
dont trade
make friends by giving what you have

=]

Friends are the people who don't ask anything of you.
What your talking about sounds like trading to me.Give so you get.
I fail to see any difference. Being nice should be an end in itself.

I wish you the very best of luck ca_aok whatever your decision is.

superclover
04-13-2008, 05:40 PM
idoleyes what i meant was meet people through giving gifts, not giving then asking them for something

markupmaster
04-13-2008, 05:41 PM
PM me if interested in a free demonoid..

superclover
04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
and pm me if you are interested in what.cd invite =]

Aether
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
So would you say maybe try to get an invite to the level 2 torrent sites in the sticky, and then once I earn invitations at those just give them out?

Keep an eye on the open signups thread too, there are many decent trackers there you can signup and give out invites when you get them :)

IdolEyes787
04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
That was a nice thing you did superclover.
That proved your point more than anything you could have said.:)

Grind$oFine
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
My advice would be to stay away from trading, read the rules of each tracker and follow them as carefully as possible - which includes, not sharing/giving away accounts, and not carelessly giving out invites to people you don't know anything about. Not only will you get a better reputation around the BT scene with the more established members, you'll ensure your own accounts' safety - it's not that difficult to get banned.
If you stick around here, be helpful and be productive - don't just spam to up your post count. You will get noticed.

If you do these things, in a matter of months or possibly less, you would be able to get into any tracker for the most part - assuming you're genuine about it.

Also, at Waffles, I'm not sure if they still do it, but they gave me an invite every time I uploaded a torrent, even when I wasn't a PU - so maybe if your friend does that, he'll get an invite and you can get in.

S3v3N
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
scam your way !

post that you have f*** or uk-t and want anything else and let them go first ,
and you can always use a middle man " your buddy " .

tusks
04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
scam your way !

and you can always use a middle man " your buddy " .

Is that supposed to be a joke :huh:

Anyways, always check for giveaways and if your requests are really heartfelt, you will probably get the invite you want. Also, making friends doesn't hurt at all :D

TidusBlade
04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Check out the invites section and the open signups and soon you'll be in a couple of trackers and build yourself from there ;)

1000possibleclaws
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. A few things I've noted:
"Get noticed at private trackers"
I'd need to find some first of all. Would you recommend simply checking the ones that periodically open each day hoping to get lucky?

3.Be active in your trackers and respect their rules. You will not get far without doing this.Don't these two contradict each other? I thought private sites generally kept tabs on the IPs being used by their users so that accounts can't be shared around.

As for friends who could help, my cousin recently got into waffles but he's not really sure about when he gets invites/whether he gets them period, so I figured I'd start looking around. Ultimately that's probably where I'd like to end up but I realize I need to start small.

he didnt mean share accounts, he meant share invites. now if you don't already have STMusic i'd be happy to invite you there. besides what and waffles it is definately the best music tracker. and if you have good proofs of being able to keep ratio on a site that has no bonus systems, i just might invite you to what.cd :)

ca_aok
04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
scam your way !

and you can always use a middle man " your buddy " .Dang should've thought of that ;)

mamacita
04-13-2008, 09:09 PM

There are members here at FST from every tracker, but I can nearly guarantee that nothing will come of a request from here.

Sorry, but this gives a very negative and untrue view of FST.

I have gotten most of my trackers from FST people, based solely on their kindness. I even had an extremely unlikely request granted to me.

So don't lose hope!

grimms
04-13-2008, 09:26 PM
I'll give you my side of the story but also take a little bit of advice from every other members to get a full perspective on things. I came to FST in October after Oink was forced to close it's doors. All I can say from experience I now have is.

1. Be ACTIVE (Everywhere including FST).
2. Network and make friends (Choose them WISELY).
3. Help people (Not just for show either).
4. Give great advice (On things you know without a doubt).
5. Always have an opinion. (When it's your turn, time, and place to have one)
6. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
7. Do not trade your way in (If you want hard to get trackers).
8. Love your bt tracker (Whether if it's for it's content or community).
9. Practice security and do the right thing.
10. Participate and try to get noticed in a good light only .
11. Nobody is perfect and everyone had flaws.
12. Do not put the Bt world over REAL LIFE.
13. Take caution before you act cause it will either have a positive or negative effect.
14. Always respect staff even if some are arrogant (bt world is a very small one)
15. Always follow the rules best you can and read faq's and rule guidelines (important)

Thats really it. Just soak all the advice you can get.

stitched
04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll give you my side of the story but also take a little bit of advice from every other members to get a full perspective on things. I came to FST in October after Oink was forced to close it's doors. All I can say from experience I now have is.

13. Take caution before you act cause it will either have a positive or negative effect.
14. Always respect staff even if some are arrogant (bt world is a very small one)
15. Always follow the rules best you can and read faq's and rule guidelines (important)

Do not put the Bt world over REAL LIFEplease follow this...unlike typing 15 pointers... ,wow good one grimms,very smart like always...

to the op:just do what u want man,you can almost get away with the anything on the internet, if u find it hard to start with ,,trade initially and then to get the hard ones come back here, tell every one you have changed (even better tell them you never traded) make a few low level giveaways because they are low levels thier rules doesnt mean anything and they were never meant to have a community ...i mean trackers like revtt,scc,tl,demonoid others....

always rememeber, community and rules are meant only for level 6 and above.....and spam a lot or traders threads talking about rules and community and how important it is,and preach whats right whats wrong, thus you declare yourself as an "anti-trader" and you get all the invites u want ,thats the end of journey

SgtMajor
04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
And don't repetitively post the obvious or repeat what has already previously been said in threads.

If you have an opinion or thought, make it an original one and make short, sweet & succinct.

stoi
04-13-2008, 11:43 PM

Do not put the Bt world over REAL LIFEplease follow this...unlike typing 15 pointers... ,wow good one grimms,very smart like always...

to the op:just do what u want man,you can almost get away with the anything on the internet, if u find it hard to start with ,,trade initially and then to get the hard ones come back here, tell every one you have changed (even better tell them you never traded) make a few low level giveaways because they are low levels thier rules doesnt mean anything and they were never meant to have a community ...i mean trackers like revtt,scc,tl,demonoid others....

always rememeber, community and rules are meant only for level 6 and above.....and spam a lot or traders threads talking about rules and community and how important it is,and preach whats right whats wrong, thus you declare yourself as an "anti-trader" and you get all the invites u want ,thats the end of journey

what a load of bollocks.

Community and rules are only meant for lvl 6 and above trackers, ive heard everything now.

I am not going to bash lvl 6 and above trackers, they have their purpose. but Bittorrent is all about sharing.

I love to see 2000 seeds on a game on BCG, you will very rarely see that many snatches on a lvl 6 and above tracker, never mind seeds on the thing.

to me a tracker should be about fast speeds, loads of seeders, lots of leechers, loads of content even from a year back where you can still download it if you want and faster than 5KBs, loads of members taking part in the community, even if its just the torrent comments, we get about 4000 torrent comments a week on BCG now thats community.

Sorry but that post has just got what everything is wrong with the WTAW thread to a fucking tea (i dont swear often but you have got me pissed).

respect all your trackers, doesnt matter if its lvl 1 or lvl 10000000, lvls are just a load of bollocks anyway.

Edit: i have just re-read it, and im not sure if everything in bold was sarcasm or not, if it was i appologize, its late here, its its not, then it is a load of bollocks lol

ca_aok
04-13-2008, 11:45 PM

There are members here at FST from every tracker, but I can nearly guarantee that nothing will come of a request from here.Judging by the response I've gotten within one day, especially since I'm relatively unknown, I can definitely say that's a lie. And on that note I'd like to thank everyone for their advice so far.

always rememeber, community and rules are meant only for level 6 and above.....and spam a lot or traders threads talking about rules and community and how important it is,and preach whats right whats wrong, thus you declare yourself as an "anti-trader" and you get all the invites u want ,thats the end of journeyI'm not really sure if this was a joke or not, but in any case I wasn't expecting to be on a level 6+ tracker anytime soon, I'm perfectly happy with these lower level trackers. And I'm certainly not going to be doing most of that, though from a cynical viewpoint that's likely in a nutshell how many made it into the top trackers :p

SgtMajor
04-13-2008, 11:46 PM

what a load of bollocks.

Community and rules are only meant for lvl 6 and above trackers, ive heard everything now.

I am not going to bash lvl 6 and above trackers, they have their purpose. but Bittorrent is all about sharing.

I love to see 2000 seeds on a game on BCG, you will very rarely see that many snatches on a lvl 6 and above tracker, never mind seeds on the thing.

to me a tracker should be about fast speeds, loads of seeders, lots of leechers, loads of content even from a year back where you can still download it if you want and faster than 5KBs, loads of members taking part in the community, even if its just the torrent comments, we get about 4000 torrent comments a week on BCG now thats community.

Sorry but that post has just got what everything is wrong with the WTAW thread to a fucking tea (i dont swear often but you have got me pissed).

respect all your trackers, doesnt matter if its lvl 1 or lvl 10000000, lvls are just a load of bollocks anyway.

I think you miss the sarcasm in his post, which if you read between the lines, is very accurate actually ;)

stoi
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
yeah i re-read it and edited my post above, i read it first and just seen red, usually im a bit more refined and read over and over, this time i didnt lol

Quylui
04-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Judging by the response I've gotten within one day, especially since I'm relatively unknown, I can definitely say that's a lie. And on that note I'd like to thank everyone for their advice so far, and especially those who have extended invitations to me.

You will learn soon enough, young padawan, that what I say is far from a lie.

t0mmy
04-14-2008, 04:36 AM
its like the saying, its who you know, not what you know thats very important when it comes to trying to join other trackers

dunson
04-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Dude got both feet in the door, huh?

:whistle:

Sanka113
04-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Anyways, always check for giveaways and if your requests are really heartfelt, you will probably get the invite you want. Also, making friends doesn't hurt at all :D

Don't make request threads for trackers with rare invites without being active first. Alot of noobs make a request to let's say Bitmetv, and expect people to fulfill them. If you remain active, work your way up the tracker level ladder, and friendly, then and only then you should make a request for a rarer invite tracker. The reason why most of the request for higher level trackers aren't fulfilled is because the person hasn't earned them yet.

Giveaways:

When you enter a giveaway first, read the rules. State why you want the invite that they are giving away. Be as honest and detailed as possible as why you want to be on the tracker, what you have to offer as a member at that tracker, etc. Second, use the tracker. Alot of people ask for invites to trackers and never use them. Before you enter ask for an invite in a giveaway, read the check out the tracker reviews thread.

When you do a giveaway try to avoid giving them out to just anybody. The rarer the invite the more thorough you should be in giving the invite. Treat your giveaways like a group interview then researach your invitee Simply don't base who you give an invite to on ratio and speed proofs, but go through their post history, ask for user profile links, chat with them on IM, and then if you feel they deserve your invite then provide them with one. Remember that when you make a giveaway you are NOT obligated to give out an invite if you feel that the field of candidates is weak. Just hold on to your invites and do another giveaway later or even better check out candidates from similar giveaways.

Heed this advice and you'll get what you want in time.

GL on your BT journey.

sugam
04-14-2008, 06:48 AM
There is no best way. Do as you feel. To be active and make friends just to get invitations for here and there is at least ridiculous. Of course, if you are a community guy and love it , its another story.

I can see you have received some invites by now, so your thread has good point.
If you feel so, shoot me a pm to show that you are good "what" user. It will take some time of course... After that we can have a little chat and you may receive some invites from me.

Till then - Good Luck :)

The Wanderer
04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Open signups first. Then I found out about levels which made me curious about what other trackers have to offer regarding content, speed and in the end pretimes. So I start posting in various BT communities until I find the best one (and no, it's not FST). I tried to be active and help out other members and I made friends, which ultimately invited me to some high level trackers. That was the moment when I found out the "awful" truth. With some minor exceptions the level means nothing. Trust me on that. RevoTT, TL (for 0day), hdbits (for HD), tv.torrents.to (for tv shows) and what.cd/waffles (for music) are all you'll ever need in BT world.

So I'm curious... how did you all get started?

stitched
04-14-2008, 08:08 AM
what a load of bollocks.

Edit: i have just re-read it, and im not sure if everything in bold was sarcasm or not, if it was i appologize, its late here, its its not, then it is a load of bollocks lol

well i am glad you posted this stoi,atleast some one cares....well, if i call the color white as white every one has problems with it,and its load of bollocks..if i say white as the color of milk....then no one complains...

whatever u said bollocks, has been happening on FST from a very long time...some one must be blind not to see it...i just told you how it happens ,its not sumthing i made up,and some people hate me for the way i post..

and as far as me Pirate Bay and Demonoid is more important then any high level tracker......i used to have no rules and trade away into almost anything a long time back...now that i have almost everything i want and like i always say i am not really greedy ,i doo try and not break any rule,i value demonoid invite as much as a norbit invite...and i am not the one who is gonna be inviting some one i dont know.

Black Cats ,TL,SCC,REVTT,PT,The Vault-----i really have tons of respect for those ,now that i have matured more in the bittorrent,

i wish more people tot the way u doo stoi....well not every one is a admin where "2000 seeds on a game on BCG, you will very rarely see that many snatches , fast speeds, loads of seeders, lots of leechers, loads of content even from a year back where you can still download it if you want and faster than 5KBs, loads of members taking part in the community, even if its just the torrent comments, we get about 4000 torrent comments a week on BCG NOW THATS A COMMUNITY.some people deserve to be what they are and u r definately one of those.

stoi
04-14-2008, 08:32 AM
well like i said, i edited my post vitually straight after typing it, i jumped in feet first (which i used to do a few years back but thought i had learned my lesson lol)

but your right, it probably needed to be said, but then, no one will care anyway, or they will forget it tomorrow and rely completely on that WTAW thread again.

I see to many people treating that thread like the be all and and all of trackers, if its lvl 1-3 who cares, if its lvl 4-6 care a little bit more but not much, if its lvl 7-10 though, oh be very very careful.

christ they are just trackers, after some security from the powers that be, they are not keeping you out because they dont like you, or because they want to be lvl 9-10, they are keeping you out because of what has happened in the past with other trackers, and some were probably staff on those other trackers, so they have seen what can happen first hand, so they are just being ultra careful now.

Problem is the WTAW thread puts them on a pedastel for everyone to see, now you will have to ask the staff of those trackers if they like that or not, but personally i would prefer to be a lvl 1-3 tracker, but have members respect us and our rules just like they do with the lvl 9 and 10.

doubt that will happen any time soon though.

SAM
04-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I dunno even if this levels thing continue i think they need some improvement.
Rarity isn't the ultimate factor in leveling trackers.
Let's say all trackers closed signups what will happen to the levels.
I think we will have all the trackers in level 9.:dabs:
this levels thing makes new-born trackers think that by closing sign-ups and say they are private community they will elite.:sick:
Not to mention it open the door to some retards to think they can profit from people greed and curiosity.
What a shame?

stoi
04-14-2008, 09:02 AM
well not that i agree or care about the levels 1 bit.

But we have been closed now for 6 months, probably a bit longer actually. and had no invites.

but we did not go above level 4.

why

because we have loads of accounts to trade.

but

im a comm rep, so your not allowed to trade accounts on FST anyway

but we still never went up to above lvl 4 and probably never would unless we pruned 20,000 users, which was not going to happen.

but then if we open and let in a few hundred members (like we did last night) i bet it wont be to long before we are down to lvl 2.

the big factor is.

Lvl 1-2 you never see accounts getting traded, as they are open signups anyway

3-6 you see accounts getting traded all the time, so the members dont respect those trackers, they only use them as a stepping stone to the next lvl.

7-10 you see the odd account pop up now and again but not often. so members tend to respect them more.

In all honesty i had an account for a week on a lvl 9 tracker (white fluffy animal called neo :) ) and it just wasnt what i was expecting at all so i deleted my account there after a week, i tried to like it, i even uploaded something, but just wasnt for me.

Now im not saying someone else wont think its great, each to their own, but why trade 3-4 trackers (or at least try to) from lvls 4-8 to get into the 1 lvl 9 which you may not like once your in.

just seems daft to me, and not the way bittorrent should be done at all.

SAM
04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree with you but i don't think it's about likeness when it comes to level 9 or 10 trackers.
They want to have them to feel they are elite or special.And because those trackers are the top of the pyramid so they are the ultimate goal.
And then they will say they retired but actually once there are a new or promising tracker will pop up they will awake and run for it.First saying they don't trade and they love community and if it doesn't work .they will trade their way in.
trading is addiction.you can cure some but you can't cure all.

yevgeny
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
i guess if people like you they will be more interested in helping you. i seen some guy come in here recently and get everything he wanted pretty much in one post. but for most it takes a lot longer for people to like or trust you.

the common consensus is be more active, and give freely and you shall receive.

The Wanderer
04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
In all the honesty same thing happened to me, too at a certain tracker. It was all this hype about how great it is, how wonderful it is, how level 10 it is. I tried to use it, meaning I downloaded stuff from there even if I could've downloaded from somewhere else sooner, I even was active in their forums. In the end I realized that "level 10" tracker wasn't for me and I came back to my old "level 3" trackers where I always felt like home.

I always saw "the level" as an currency exchange for traders.

In all honesty i had an account for a week on a lvl 9 tracker (white fluffy animal called neo :) ) and it just wasnt what i was expecting at all so i deleted my account there after a week, i tried to like it, i even uploaded something, but just wasnt for me.

vinod242
04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
There is no hard and fast rule to get into a tracker, if u r lucky u may signup directly on the tracker without any request for invites. On the other hand if u r not able to get in then there are 2 ways to achieve which i would guess u know already.
One is a quick fix trading, trust me majority of the people on this forum stay away from traders
The other way, though a long one is to stay active and request for an invite, people here will definitely invite u.
So cross ur fingers for ur 30 day trial to finsih ASAP.

Kyokushin
04-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Well those 5 pages of advise should give you a good general idea.
The one thing that I can suggest is this: Don't chase high level trackers just because they are high. That won't make you more l33t or get you laid more. Some of the BEST trackers around are level 2. Great content, great speed, great packs, etc.

If in any moment you see yourself struggling to maintain decent ratios, donwloading gbs of stuff you don't want just to seed it back, calculating how every single file could affect your overall ratio, you have failed in the BT world my friend.

S3v3N
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
community heh this word make me lol .

munkyboy04
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Is it just me. Or would all of this go away if the admin at FST just deleted the WTAW thread?

stoi
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
No because another forum, somewhere would keep it going.

Only way to stop this completely, is for every single tracker to open up and stay open, but that will never ever happen i`m afraid.

soulreaper
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
With the closed signups and no invites,I used to think that BCG is trying to be an elitist tracker but when they had open signups again and opened invites for SPU's I was clearly wrong and I'm happy I was wrong.

I'm not the type to suck up to someone but stoi I can't help but respect and admire you. I mean you don't have an elitist bone in your body,no ego,none of that bullshit drivel that some admins carry(you probably know what i'm referring to). Maybe this is because you've been a longtime member of FST and so you understand users better than others.

The fact that you implemented a SP system clearly means you care about your members with slow connections and you want them to stay on in your tracker. I feel like you're a normal member and not sysop(dictator like),I mean that in a good way,trust me. I really wish admins and sysops were like you,this bittorrent world wouldn't be as corrupt as it is now.

th0r
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
being a female between the ages of 18 and 24 and willing to prove it with pictures will get you anywhere

munkyboy04
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
edit: @stoi

Understood.

However if FST was to show the way and get rid of the thread. People would listen.

I'm a member of other forums where there's no mention of the WTAW. No ones interested. And people dont trade. But if you want to get into a tracker you'll get invited if your a valued member of that community. and thats the way it should be. You reap what you sew.

Trading is getting to be such a problem. there other ways to get into sites. Why dont sites get rid of invites completley and have application processes. Like TDC does. Or Mayby have open forums where you could get known and then invited by mod or admin. Im sure there are ways other than Invites.

dunson
04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
being a HOTfemale between the ages of 18 and 24 and willing to prove it with pictures will get you anywhere

Now that's right. ;)

stoi
04-14-2008, 07:29 PM
@ soulreaper

cheers for that, i used to torrent and run a tracker on a 500mhz 11gig hdd Sony Viao laptop back in the day, and i used to upload all the time (if i didnt no one else would) and used to be one of the first with games onto suprnova, and i only had a 25KBs upload at the time.

so i know what its like, but i also know that if i could do all that, there is really no excuse for anyone else not to play fair in the torrent world of ratios that we have.

and the reason we closed up shop, was not to become elitist or move up the ranks of the WTAW thread, it was just to weed out all the leechers and cheaters etc that we had.

I had planned on getting the members down as well, but decided after a few months that it just wasnt working, the tracker was going stagnant.

@ munkyboy04

In all honesty, Invite trading doesnt bother me much, its invite selling that gets on my tits, but then we are a spacialised tracker, so someone thats in a TV tracker that likes games, and one of our members that like TV can trade. that sort of thing doesnt bother me.

Invite selling though and account trading/selling does, especially when you see 1TB buffer. which basically means the new member is just going to hit and run everything they can (they cant on BCG though).

thing is can you really see the WTAW thread disapearing anytime soon, i cant, and if trackers stay closed, and only have invites, it adds more fuel to the fire.

I have seen BCG invites go for $100+ and some lvl 9-10 accounts for $500+ and its big business to some people, its a little cottage industry they have going.

so this is the reason we are opening, and the fact we need more new blood as well, even if they are noobs, as we have all been noobs at one time or another and need stearing in the correct direction.

munkyboy04
04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I didnt realise invite selling was such a problem. I thought only a few people did it. are people that desperate to get into Trackers that they'll give up 500 notes. absolute madness.

grimms
04-15-2008, 12:51 AM

what a load of bollocks.

Stoi this dude stitched is a jealous little 13 year old. He is mad cause he feels like his respect here is low and is also mad due to members like me and fatcat69 being good respected trusted members of are communitites (For whatever reasons).

If I weren't... I sure wouldn't be a member of certain sites... I will not mention due to RULES stitched. Not respecting a trackers rule because it's level 1 is the stupidest comment I have ever read on this forum (And I have read alot of them). Trackers like UG, Bitsoup, and others are the most respected in my eyes.;)

To the OP just respect all the rules, be active, make friends with staff and trusted members alike, help others, and people will notice you like they already have. Good luck man.

edit: I just reread his post as well. Taking jabs at me every time I post is annoying. J-Dye is another member doing that. As far as levels and all that? They mean nothing. Join the trackers that best suit you and be apart of them for the right reasons and cause they are what you need for whatever purpose your trying to achieve. Whether that is listening to music, watching movies, ebooks, studying, hanging out in the irc and forums, gaming, whatever. Be happy and let live.......

ShadowsServant
04-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Torrenting was meant to be free and all about sharing. That is why we use the net. To download and share the things we have in common with other users.
Selling invites is beyond me. If you are going to pay to get in then why are they even torrenting?
Torrents are available freely. People paying to get in, is just insane. It goes against what bittorrent stands for.

dythim
04-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Torrenting was meant to be free and all about sharing. That is why we use the net. To download and share the things we have in common with other users.
Selling invites is beyond me. If you are going to pay to get in then why are they even torrenting?
Torrents are available freely. People paying to get in, is just insane. It goes against what bittorrent stands for.

Well said. Invites are meant to be given anyways. Just meet people, become trusted friends, contribute, and that's all really there is to it other than being a good member on the tracker.

orfik
04-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Get into an easy site you don't mind losing, just to get used to the ratio system, uploading torrents, etc. Try Libble or STmusic. Hang out in the forums, make friends, don't be a douchebag, and you'll have access to wherever you want. Also, be careful with this place. Many members of the high-ranking sites don't think highly of it.

IdolEyes787
04-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Also, be careful with this place. Many members of the high-ranking sites don't think highly of it.

List of things to do
1.Acquire mind reading ability so that I will know what other people that I have never met are thinking.
2.Attempt to care.

vicious
04-15-2008, 07:41 AM
1. Try getting into the trackers you want when you know the invites are open
2. Ask friends whether they have the tracker you wanna sign up to
3. if the answer to step 3 is no, make new friends and dump the old ones they are losers anyhow. j/k :D

ca_aok
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry for the epic bump, but I thought this post would be useful for any new members who are thinking of trading their way into the BT community.

Only one year after I made this post, I managed to get onto almost every torrent site I wanted, including some which aren't even mentioned here :). Basically started at What.CD, became Power User, and got into other trackers through the Invite forum. Then eventually I made friends through the forums/IRC and got into some of the harder to find trackers. So in one short year, I went from having nothing but Demonoid to having two of the "Level 9" trackers as they're listed here. However it's worth noting that as the tracker level increases the sites don't always get better... What.CD is still my favourite torrent site, even though it's easy to get into... I know a bunch of people in the community, I'm pushing towards Torrentmaster, and I find I feel more at home there than at smaller high level trackers. Sure, they have a bunch of rare stuff and that's part of the appeal, but the smaller community means less activity and a smaller selection of torrents overall, even if there are some great packs on the higher level sites.

So I guess the moral of the story here is you don't need to resort to trading to succeed, the people who gave me advice were right. Get into a lower level site, upload, get active in the community, push for power user and make friends, then slowly work your way towards your goals. And definitely be generous with what you have... one of my higher level tracker invitations came from a guy I met in another music tracker's IRC channel who didn't have What.CD, so I extended him one of my invites no questions asked. Then when it came up a few days later in conversation that he was on an unmentionable tracker, he was perfectly happy to request an invitation for me.

Something Else
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Sure, they have a bunch of rare stuff and that's part of the appeal, but the smaller community means less activity and a smaller selection of torrents overall, even if there are some great packs on the higher level sites.

Do they really have rare stuff? Do they really have great packs?

I don't think so. I think most sites have exactly the same shite. Whether level 1 or level brazzilion. It's only specialised trackers that carry anything unique. The majority of which are not high up the tard level system. :mellow:

Villalltheway
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Sure, they have a bunch of rare stuff and that's part of the appeal, but the smaller community means less activity and a smaller selection of torrents overall, even if there are some great packs on the higher level sites.

Do they really have rare stuff? Do they really have great packs?

I don't think so. I think most sites have exactly the same shite. Whether level 1 or level brazzilion. It's only specialised trackers that carry anything unique. The majority of which are not high up the tard level system. :mellow:

Agreed there seems to be a miss conspetion the rarer the tracker the more rarer stuff and better content they have, majority of these general 0day trackers have 99% of the same content.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I get my rare stuff off of TPB .True story.

ca_aok
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I was referring more to the content-specific higher end sites (for example E) rather than the 0-days. The packs aren't generally rare stuff but they're nice compilations when you want to download a bunch of related stuff at once, they're often good ways to discover new movies, music, etc, and they're generally freeleech which is always nice. For regular 0-day stuff I generally get my stuff from GFT since the pretimes are better. The whole level system is ridiculous anyway, half that thread is outdated based on current difficulty of getting into sites and the reviews are all horribly outdated (the What.CD review is pre-gazelle lol). I've been disappointed by many higher end trackers that didn't live up to their hype and I don't use them that often. However there are a few that I like to frequent based on their content and their community. As I stated earlier What.CD is still my favourite site, and it's easy to get into now assuming you can answer a few music encoding questions in IRC. However the smaller sites are nice because people generally comment and thank you for your uploads, and there's a much higher number of snatches proportional to the number of members on the site.

NippleCake
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I get my rare stuff off of TPB .True story.

Yep, They have so much that private trackers do not have.

Villalltheway
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
However the smaller sites are nice because people generally comment and thank you for your uploads, and there's a much higher number of snatches proportional to the number of members on the site.

No offence not trying to be argumentative but i really disagree with that, u hardly get any or if any comments on torrents at smaller trackers compared to big trackers. It just wouldnt make sence for that to happen.

ca_aok
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Compare a lower end music site to Pedro's or E and you'll see that it's true. The thing is on big trackers people simply don't care and are just there to leech. Thousands of users will simply download without commenting or participating in the community in any way. I have an upload on What with a few hundred snatches and 1 comment. Another has 1500 snatches and the only comment was someone complaining about how long it took to download on a 40kB/s upstream. Anything I upload on Pedro's/E has at least 1/4 of the people comment and/or say thanks, often more. So yes, it happens. As for public trackers obviously they have more, the issues are quality control and increased risk in getting letters from the record/movie industries, plus the bad speeds and massive hit-and-run problems.

Funkin'
04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Compare a lower end music site to Pedro's or E and you'll see that it's true. The thing is on big trackers people simply don't care and are just there to leech. Thousands of users will simply download without commenting or participating in the community in any way. I have an upload on What with a few hundred snatches and 1 comment. Another has 1500 snatches and the only comment was someone complaining about how long it took to download on a 40kB/s upstream. Anything I upload on Pedro's/E has at least 1/4 of the people comment and/or say thanks, often more. So yes, it happens.

Very true. The amount of comments for the uploads at the two small lossless trackers outweigh, by far, the comments on the two huge general music trackers. But to be fair, comments and discussions are really encouraged on the small music trackers.

As for the amount of comments/discussions on torrents between the small and large 0day trackers, I don't think the same is true. Look at the amount of comments on the uploads at ftn, tl, revtt, and ipt. You'll see there are more on those three larger trackers than that one small tracker. From what I've seen at least.

So for your argument, I think your statement is true between the small and large music sites. But not between the small and large 0day trackers. But again, at least from what I've seen. I spend a whole lot more time on music sites than I do at 0day/general sites.

Good post though. And nice update.

Roooney
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I think there's no real answer to your question. It's like Stoi said on the first page, what might work for me may not work for you. All I can say is be friendly, helpful and active, that should help you a lot. I have what I want because of this (except 1 tracker) so that worked for me:)

harshytkage
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
hehehe...look...take my example, i've come from TBP to this from absolutely nothing in a space of weeks, i mean, my first PT was Funfile(WTF!?!), and that was in december, now i have more than i ever need(literally?...umm maybe not :p), really, trading wont get ytou anywhere where normal activity wouldn't, i've gotten into waffles after practically nfin except being here, so trading is not an option(in my book neways)!

lhnz
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Trading is not the easiest way, and as soon as staff know you're a trainer it makes getting into ANY tracker hard.

The easiest way to get into high-level trackers without having any contacts, is to take the What.CD interview, and attain Power User on that tracker. Once you get that far, you can get an invite on most other sites through the Invite forum...

At that point it's really easy.

edit:

Only one year after I made this post, I managed to get onto almost every torrent site I wanted, including some which aren't even mentioned here :). Basically started at What.CD, became Power User, and got into other trackers through the Invite forum. Then eventually I made friends through the forums/IRC and got into some of the harder to find trackers. So in one short year, I went from having nothing but Demonoid to having two of the "Level 9" trackers as they're listed here.Oh, lol.
That's exactly what you did. :P
I told you it's the best way. (:

However the smaller sites are nice because people generally comment and thank you for your uploads, and there's a much higher number of snatches proportional to the number of members on the site.No offence not trying to be argumentative but i really disagree with that, u hardly get any or if any comments on torrents at smaller trackers compared to big trackers. It just wouldnt make sence for that to happen.I'd agree, except speciality or community trackers, are small but very active.