PDA

View Full Version : Split 1gb .iso onto 2 cd's?

dodgy368
04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I want to put Adobe Indesign onto a laptop but it hasn't got a DVD drive, just a CD drive.
Is there a software that would put the 1gb .iso onto 2 cd's, so that I could load the first cd and when that had installed it would ask for the second cd?

mbucari1
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
In order to do that, you'd have to edit the msi file and manually split the install files. A simpler way would be to share the install files on the network or split the image with a rar archive and then extract to your laptops HDD.

Appzalien
04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
If you have a couple cd-rw's you could try taking something large like a cab file(s) out of the iso with ultraiso or similar and put it on one of the rw's, then burn the rest of the iso to the other rw. During install when it tells you it can't find the cab file(s), swap cd's and then after its done with that put the first cd back. As long as you keep a good original iso as a backup it certainly can't hurt anything to try it.

The splitting the file with win rar would certainly work, but you will have to use a virtual drive (daemon tools) to run the iso once you put it back together, or at least extract all the files to the hard drive and run the setup manually. Heck, you could extract the files to the hard drive, and packup two sections onto two cd's and then put it all back together on the other machine and run setup.exe or the msi file to see if it will instrall from there. Lots of fun things to try, use your imagination.

mbucari1
04-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Nice idea burning cab to another cd. With the rar method, I was thinking of just extracting the iso to a directory and splitting that. Network is still my preferred method.

Appzalien
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Certainly networking would be great as long as both his machines have ethernet, a cord would only be a couple bucks, but he still would have to use a virtual drive since the laptop has no dvd. The cab idea works but its dependent on cab sizes, the ideal is when one cab is close to 700mb and will leave 700mb or less left. I recently split the iso of Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars from one DVD9 to two DVD5's simply by making the second dvd5 all movies from the iso. Basically I used Ultraiso to extract the movies then replaced them with 0kb txt files of the same name, then changed the .txt to .big while inside ultraiso and save the new iso at a dvd5 size. Then I just added the three movies to the second dvd5 to be pasted in, after install, to the games directory, overwiting the 0kb files it installed from the first dvd.

Neat huh?

Its a 1 in 50 when something like this works out that simple, usually its a pain to split a dvd9 to 2 dvd5's.

mbucari1
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
what I'm suggesting doesn't require a virtual drive AT ALL. Just use winrar and extract the contents of the iso to a directory. Install over the network by sharing the directory you extracted to or burn the files to 2 CDs and copy to your laptop's HDD.