PDA

View Full Version : safest Torrent site ?

Mr.sharer
04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
whats the safest torrent site in your opinion ?

i have been using a private tracker for 2 years now ,it has pretty much everything i need but am a bit worried about the security side of the site . so am looking for a much safer tracker . :unsure: any suggestions ?

Crutavv
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
**-* /I think :)/

TidusBlade
04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, most trackers are safe. Well, safer than public trackers in my opinion.
If your looking for a tracker with everything, I would suppose TorrentLeech is a good choice, so is RevoTT, but I'm disliking it more by the day...

ghurka
04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
It's all about getting noticed....or not getting noticed. I would say that a smaller tracker with no open sign-up and very limited invites (or no invites) would be much more secure than a larger tracker which is easy to gain membership. Torrentleech for example has a large user database and is not that difficult to get into so I would not regard that as one of the safer trackers (a good tracker yes but not secure).

I don't see any point in advising you about particular trackers at this stage as the likelihood is that you will not be able to become a member anyway (well not yet). Once you get into the BT invites section there will be more information available to you on each individual tracker.

C-mos
04-14-2008, 01:08 PM

why do u think that?:)

yayyyyyy
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM

yeah, less file there are the safer the site is :w00t:

a site with 0torrents should be even safer than uk-t :D

EnerGizer
04-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Rabbit I think :)

The Gladiator
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM

yeah, less file there are the safer the site is :w00t:

a site with 0torrents should be even safer than uk-t :D

That is not a torrent site... Not for me at least.

S3v3N
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
no tracker is safe .

superclover
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
well the safest is probably one with SSH =] that is my recommendation

dunson
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
/me tells the n00b with 3 posts about the most secure site in the world, why its so secure and posts teh url
:rolleyes:

fOrUmAs
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
well every major site is pretty safe but not 100% safe tho...

u really dont need to be bother with that

EnerGizer
04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
smaller it is , safer it is!

Mr.sharer
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM

i thought ssh/ssl was only usefull to prevent a man in the middle attack :unsure:

i think i should look for a site with a small userbase , one that doesnt attract much attention from the anti piracy agencies

Horatiu
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Nothing is safe, not even walking the streets.

I doubt that something will happen to the random user of a certain private tracker though, no matter how big or how small.

ananthsmys
04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi

As long as u the see the ip addresses of peers . U are not safe.

Proxy is one solution. But Proxy is banned in majority of trackers.

Keeping the site closed without invites or signups is not the answer.

Security comes with proactive process.

With torrenting u are always exposing yourself. U have to live in this
world. Peer Guardian is not the answer.

saqib
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM

why do u think that?:)

coz probably he is not there..:lol:

Tokeman
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
demonoid?

(I)
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
TB has some strict rules about Privacy, even a staff can't browse for ur torrent history

stoi
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
if your worried about it, do not do it, its that simple.

the simple fact is, no tracker is safe for the owner and the staff.

trackers are usually safe for the users though.

i havnt heard of any (im not saying they do not exist though) member getting taking to court and sued on a private bittorrent tracker, public yes, kazaa etc yes.

all the ssh and security wont save you anyway, all it needs is 1 member to be from a power that be, and jump on a torrent and take note of all ips on that torrent.

OK some sites are harder to get into, but you can still get into them, they are not totally off limits to everyone, so who says one of their members isnt a power to be either (i cant say BCG is completely free of them, and i doubt any tracker can, because they just dont know).

So if you feel at risk, get NG even though thats not 100% risk free either.

Zaxx
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
The safest torrent site I know of is completely underground...not just 'private'. You won't see their name or url on any WTAW list, or any other list for that matter.
I'm sure there are more underground sites out there...more power to them!!! ;)

stoi
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
point is

you know it

so if you do

whats stopping the powers that be knowing it.

just because 99% of us dont know it doesnt mean its safe.

danio
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
i would place my bet on mango or n*x.

VIZFX
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Stick to private sites and you should be okay. If you are really worried, then you know what to do.

dunson
04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Stick to private sites and you should be okay. If you are really worried, then you know what to do.

I feel pretty safe on the private sites I'm on that are run well. If I was a huge uploader at a big private site or even a smaller site hosted in the wrong country, I'd be a bit concerned about security.

punki_rach
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I think the odds of getting busted for torrenting even on public sites is just extreemely low. It would be waay too much effort for the authorities to go after individual users, so unless you're downloading and uploading TBs of stuff I don't think you need to worry. Even Oink's out on bail

VIZFX
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Agreed. If anything,the first thing that may happen, is that your ISP will try to throttle your connection.

metanaboll112
04-14-2008, 06:36 PM
iTS is the safest :P its very very hard to get in this community :<

Xhester
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I live in Mexico and no one care about piracy and stuff like that, so Im sure im safe here :D

mrnobody
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
even FBI website isn't safe and u talk about "safe" torrent site :P

soulreaper
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
even FBI website isn't safe and u talk about "safe" torrent site :P

Aahahhahahaaaa how true! Kevin Mitnick-case in point.

sacebac
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I think nothing in the net is safe, even torrent sites.........

Porsche_maniak
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the private trackers are most safe.Also if the "Uploaders" are choosen from the moderators or the admin...

Blackbeard
04-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I think the private trackers are most safe.Also if the "Uploaders" are choosen from the moderators or the admin...

+1

colbert
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM

I would agree. Allowing only designated, trusted people to upload cuts out the possibility of agents posting bad files and such.

donvito
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
You've also got to remember all of the super small, private trackers that aren't known, the ones "off of the radar", so to speak.

those are safe, because the sysops and admins know eachother irl, and the members are usually real-life friends.

Gish
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
wow who ever said TL and safe in the same sentence needs to take a look in there forums! last I heard there was a large amount of people getting letters from there ISP.

F3n1x
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
No tracker is safe like stoi said but you are secure, in past torrent sites got hacked and what? they got ip+email and password hash md5 with salt.. For me uk-t can be less safer than scenetorrents, its not a question of how good the coder is, is more how good the attacker is..

Users never got problem in torrent sites is what i think, uplaoders yes scene hate them, sysop and other staff can be some troubles but users no..

just join a good site like scenetorrents or a new one like iTS you are safe.

or dont =P

wow who ever said TL and safe in the same sentence needs to take a look in there forums! last I heard there was a large amount of people getting letters from there ISP.
and? your isp can do that, some isp in other countries do cheating in announce like many users uploaded same ammount of gb's lol.

if your isp do that change isp..

mrnobody
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
and? your isp can do that, some isp in other countries do cheating in announce like many users uploaded same ammount of gb's lol.

yeah isp can do that

but u can move on with different tracker and decrease ur changes of getting such letters

F3n1x
04-14-2008, 10:17 PM

yeah isp can do that

but u can move on with different tracker and decrease ur changes of getting such letters

the best one is me, my brother and him friends private torrent site, 10menbers i think that's really secure :lol:

ok my opinion is scenetorrents.

p.s: i don't want start a discussion what site is better please.

WarrenBuffet
04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
FTN is pretty safe

i would place my bet on mango or n*x.

+1

F3n1x
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
·:·);2785607']FTN is pretty safe

are you sure?
F******.net.Owner.Brandon.ASS.RAP3D-CELLKiLL/ftnobar-cellkill.rar

Ok sorry brandon i want all the best to you really but is only to point that users are safe but staff don't.. yeah respect staff work and troubles that they can get to help a all community.

WarrenBuffet
04-15-2008, 01:31 AM
2 things.

1- thats a person, not the tracker. Admin does not = tracker
2- I'm sure whatever the reason for that happening is that prolly didn't have to do with the site. Out of respect though, plz take that torrent/file/whatever out of your post.

Zaxx
04-15-2008, 01:44 AM
point is

you know it

so if you do

whats stopping the powers that be knowing it.

just because 99% of us dont know it doesnt mean its safe.

Very true. No such thing as a totally safe site, but it stands to reason that if the biggest sites are getting nailed (suprnova, elite torrents, loki, oink) then the smaller sites 'should' be less likely to be targeted. The initials are going for maximum possible results per legal effort..so to speak. As we all know anything can happen no matter the site but imo the smaller the site and that site's ability to pretty much stay out of the torrent community's various forums and off tracker lists greatly reduces the odds of being picked up on the initial's radar screen. Just my .02

Btw, I'd say 99.9% would be more accurate...:ph34r:

plastique45
04-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Safest trackers are private trackers with few users dealing with files that are not very "hot". For example, Cinemageddon. I doubt the FBI will hunt down the 25 people downloading the latest Zombie-rape movie from Lithuania...

silvertec
04-15-2008, 02:35 AM
It really depends on staff and coders to get it right
staff to keep the site smaller enough to stay off the radar but keep the members they got downloading so plenty of activity.

Coders to make sure the site doesn't get hacked and doesn't loose it database

stoi
04-15-2008, 02:52 AM
im not sure why smaller is safer.

torrentleech is still going.

but im pretty sure the lvl 10 tracker in the WTAW thread, used to be another tracker, that was pretty small as well, and that got taken down, hence why they are totally paranoid now. (i could be wrong though, it may have been huge lol)

(I)
04-15-2008, 03:35 AM
im not sure why smaller is safer.

torrentleech is still going.

but im pretty sure the lvl 10 tracker in the WTAW thread, used to be another tracker, that was pretty small as well, and that got taken down, hence why they are totally paranoid now. (i could be wrong though, it may have been huge lol)

About that lvl 10 I don't think so, lots of its staff left it and constructed a lvl 9 one already

I think only trackers which steal something are those who get caught, elite torrents for example closed after they released Star Wars b4 theatre d8, they were only 50k users (so watch out :P), hoping always the best for TL, it's really something special in the torrent world

Grind$oFine
04-15-2008, 03:52 AM
You never know what site is going to be taken down next because of something like this.
I don't think it matters how big or small, well-know or unknown the tracker is. There's just no guarantee.
Either way, like it's already been said - individuals are not usually targets when a site gets raided, it's usually just staff so there's not much to worry about.

In my opinion, because BT is completely legal if used.. legally, I would assume the torrent trackers that follow rules in sync with the laws would be safer. When OiNK went down it was because of pre-releases and the whole donations being used for the owner's profit B$, which I don't think is being used against them anymore. So a site that doesn't allow content that hasn't been released, or maybe even a site that runs off an alternative to donations would be safer. In most cases, it's against the law (in the US) for the site to be taken down when they aren't breaking any laws.

Individually, I'm not sure how anyone can get busted via the internet unless you're downloading and uploading an excessive amount of content, or something that hasn't been released to the public. Otherwise how could they prove you're actually doing something illegal?

rvt
04-15-2008, 05:02 AM

SSH = secure shell. Any tracker giving users shell access to the server is going to be the opposite of secure :-P

If you mean SSL, that only encrypts the data between your browser and the server. It does not stop bad guys getting an account, or mean that the data is encrypted on the server, or even that your ISP is not logging everything using a man in the middle attack.

i thought ssh/ssl was only usefull to prevent a man in the middle attack :unsure:

Without a certificate signed by a trusted 3rd party, SSL is susceptible to man in the middle attacks.
Take a site with a self signed certificate. Your ISP or someone else sends you their own version of the cert when you connect. Your browser then uses that public cert when talking to the server. Only the attacker can decrypt the message though. So they take the messages you are sending, decrypt, encrypt them using the real server certificate and pass them along. They then take the servers reply, decrypt it, encrypt it for your browser and send it back to you.

Trusted 3rd party signatures are no guarantee of security though. Some companies are offering hardware for ISPs that will generate signed certificates that are accepted as trusted by all major browsers.

(I)
04-15-2008, 05:08 AM

SSH = secure shell. Any tracker giving users shell access to the server is going to be the opposite of secure :-P

If you mean SSL, that only encrypts the data between your browser and the server. It does not stop bad guys getting an account, or mean that the data is encrypted on the server, or even that your ISP is not logging everything using a man in the middle attack.

Fucking accur8 as usual
Dunno how FL would looks like if u still there
I remember u told me that u r preparing to add passkeys in FL in the end of 2004, lol, till now they are just use the announce stuff, u must log in using the same IP blah blah, stupid admin

Zaxx
04-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Not much else matters if they seize a server and have access to the database with IPs, logs and whatever. :ermm:

Annoyed
04-15-2008, 05:59 AM

I was actually going to mention this. I'm a little paranoid about downloading from their tracker. That have, what they think is a mole among them. And quite a few people have been getting letters from their ISP.

And I looked around at the other private sites, and I don't see any of this stuff being mentioned in their forums. So I haven't downloaded from TL for a couple weeks now. I hope they get everything worked out, or I'll probably end up losing the account for no download amount in a certain amount of time.