PDA

View Full Version : Bt rep questions?

pharaoh
04-16-2008, 05:02 AM
why do you feel you need to show or hide your bt rep?

deuce6000
04-16-2008, 05:04 AM
I show it but it really means nothing to me.When they made BT rep it was for a reason and people use it the totally wrong way.It doesn't help at all imo.

TP635
04-16-2008, 05:22 AM
I have none to hide.

t0mmy
04-16-2008, 05:25 AM
some people choose not to show because ashamed of trading past, others feel the need not to boast, im neither :D

*side note - it looks cool! ;)

Raban
04-16-2008, 05:26 AM
i never knew you could hide it . . ..

t0mmy
04-16-2008, 05:27 AM
^ lmao its in your usercp page :P

DasFox
04-16-2008, 05:35 AM

Hmm this most have something to do with my reply in your invite post... :whistling

pharaoh, SORRY man don't take me wrong, didn't mean anything against you.

Actually I didn't know you could hide them, so I apologize... :huh:

If people are abusing them, and able to use them wrong then shame on them, but after all when you don't know someone, what ways are there to tell someone is a pretty good member on a forum like this?

Post Counts
Etc...

In short everything adds up and gives users a clearer picture to what is going on, but then seeing the actual posts a member has made, getting to really see the person is of course one of the biggest helps...

If you're doing the right thing, then I say show them, to let people know you're trying to help, and there is nothing wrong with that.

There is no reason to hide something, unless someone really has something to hide... ;)

PEACE

Annoyed
04-16-2008, 05:35 AM
I don't just because I think it's stupid. A person can have 100 good rep points, but that doesn't mean he's still not going to cheat or trade the account he just got, etc. So the bt rep is useless to me.

DasFox
04-16-2008, 05:42 AM
I don't just because I think it's stupid. A person can have 100 good rep points, but that doesn't mean he's still not going to cheat or trade the account he just got, etc. So the bt rep is useless to me.

Your logic is like a good employee that gets a good letter of reference because he quit his job and is taking on employment at a new job, the reference doesn't really mean anything either, because sooner or later this new employee, even though they have a good reference and track record doesn't mean they're going to turn out all right either...

THE actual point here is, in the end, you never really know, so that isn't to say the system is flawed, it's just that at times you never really know what you might be dealing with.

So don't say the REP is useless, it has value in that it gives people a point of reference to try and work from, and that's about as good as it gets in real life too. When you deal with flawed people you get flawed systems, but don't blame the system, because as people we still need something to work with to try and determine character.

Don't blame the REP, blame the people, the REP isn't the problem, people are...

Make sense?

PEACE

Swift
04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
i hide them because i like to have my profile clean !

P.S. my reps ar not made by trading

Nemrod
04-16-2008, 05:54 AM
In my opinion BT rep. points are only useful for traders, if an user has a big amount that gives him some kind of credit, so the other person can trust him. I think that traders rarely hide them (and this is not something disrespectful, I am not anti-trader, I believe in free will).
I donīt give a crap to that thing, moreover, I tend to dislike BTRP. And saving a few exceptions, when I can help with something... well, I prefer people with "reasonable" amount of points.

Disme
04-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Bt-Rep is worthless ... I'm not a trader and didn't earn the +4 with trading but by some small GA. But I hid it because it's retarded to base your GA's on the number of BT-Rep points.
Most of them 100+ reppers (not all) are just collectors, having accounts all over the place and just buffering accounts until they get invites to hand out with only one goal ... to get into higher level trackers.

BT-Rep and post count are completely useless ... better look at the quality of the posts someone has made and not to the little numbers.

Just my 2cents.

vinhkhang01
04-16-2008, 09:23 AM
I have no idea that you can hide it. It doesn't really matter to me.

Night0wl
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
They mean something negative to me. I would rather give an invite to a good user with constructive posts rather than someone using invites as currency (one way or the other) to get into "Higher Level" trackers.

I there one person here, that would think someone with a lot of rep would be a good invitee if they invite them?

Also the real invites given, the ones just to help out someone without boasting about it in some giveaway thread, they can't be repped without the invitee searching the post history of the inviter to rep them for some random post in the invite section.

To me BT rep either means a trader or someone, that tries to get recognition by giving invites to random strangers who show some meaningless proof.

Something Else
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
They mean something negative to me. I would rather give an invite to a good user with constructive posts rather than someone using invites as currency (one way or the other) to get into "Higher Level" trackers.

I there one person here, that would think someone with a lot of rep would be a good invitee if they invite them?

Also the real invites given, the ones just to help out someone without boasting about it in some giveaway thread, they can't be repped without the invitee searching the post history of the inviter to rep them for some random post in the invite section.

To me BT rep either means a trader or someone, that tries to get recognition by giving invites to random strangers who show some meaningless proof.

What he said. :O :smilie4:

If the majority of someone's posts are outside of the BT invite section they seem a much more decent egg to me.

IdolEyes787
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
If the majority of someone's posts are outside of the BT invite section they seem a much more decent egg to me.

As the song says
"Quick to judge
Slow to understand".

I prefer to reserve judgment on one's character until given better proof.

pharaoh
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
besides checking past posts. i think also a good idea is looking at the persons profile links on some trackers. that helps me alot on determining on giving away an invite or not.

Adama
04-16-2008, 12:18 PM
yes :naughty:

saqib
04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
rep is useless for non traders , thats y i dont like to have them

stoi
04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I hide mine for 2 reasons.

They can only be giving in the invite section, so its only for giveaways/trading (invites or accounts) it isnt supposed to be for, "cool member" which tbh most of mine have been giving for.

if you hover over the tick to give someone one it says.

Add a Trading rep point to "username"

which is completely wrong in my eyes

BOOM
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes :yup:

If I giveaway my invites for altruism, i don`t see what is the point of show my bt-rep for all!! In my opinion, rep-points are importants 4 traders only...

dunson
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I didn't realize they were meant for trading. I just give them out to helpful, good users. Oops.

Sanka113
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah they were meant to be for trading, but they soon became a way to reward helpful members.

kaffeine
04-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I show them, and they mean absolutely nothing to me. If anything, they give me a negative reference of someone, like Blue_Skies says (same as someone with 20 userbars).

People tend to think that if someone has many rep points combined with a large number of posts means that he can be trusted.. and I've seen people reporting cheaters or complaining about getting scammed by members with those characteristics.

Imo, they are used for trading (or for an award for making giveaways to strangers). If you receive an invite from your friend, someone you know and trust (as it should happen) he will never ask you to rep him.. and the other way around.

(this has been discussed already here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-rep-points-do-they-really-matter-250043). It's not the same question, but the arguments are).

fOrUmAs
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM

i dont feel anything abouth that:unsure:

but then again probably for security reasones,dunno:O

The Wanderer
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't have anything to hide. ;) But then again I have only 10 posts or so in Invites Section.

munaaf
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
i never knew you could hide it . . ..

+1 same here ;) well i guess i show to help ppl know u are good user.