PDA

View Full Version : why do people cover their user names

td212
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
and a buncha other stuff in their ratio proofs

The Gladiator
04-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Probably because they don't want to get banned on that sites...

YoYoY
04-19-2008, 05:07 PM
and other people can user their usernames to steel accounts , I know someone who had that problem before and most of his account were gone because of knowing his username
also some people use it as a cover to hide their real username to do something naughty

lostdemon
04-19-2008, 05:19 PM
td212 you just graduated username covering 101

Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Yo Joe

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/raim0007/gwss1001/gijoe.jpg

fOrUmAs
04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
for security reasones of course

but no one force u to do that anyway

soulreaper
04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Picture a scenario where you've got the same username here as well as bmtv(assume).You abuse their staff out of sheer frustration or say something controversial that they deem to be abusive(they tend to deem most things as abusive),then you may get banned.
Go ahead,ponder.

The Flying Cow
04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
People don't need to know your usernames on private trackers. For authorities, this is only more clues as to your suspicious activities on the intra-net.

Adama
04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
for security reasones
protection is better than the cure

ghurka
04-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Only those who have something to hide need to cover their usernames. You will find that the more trustworthy people within the BT community keep to the same username on every tracker and forum.

mrnobody
04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
cover my nick with your finger :P

Lam3rD
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Only those who have something to hide need to cover their usernames. qft.

I also hate when people ask me for invites and give me "censored" screenshots, that actually can be taken from someone else and therefore they doesn't mean shit.

It's a lot better when you ask that person to PM you his e-mail in 2-3 different trackers, he claims to be a member of.;)

(I)
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Some sites don't like their screen shoots to be published outside the original site I guess

thedemon44
04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
lol. Beats me, I would never post a screenshot of a tracker im a member of. Whats the point? Doesnt make you any cooler.

deuce6000
04-19-2008, 09:37 PM
So they don't get banned.

EyezSS
04-19-2008, 09:44 PM
lol. Beats me, I would never post a screenshot of a tracker im a member of. Whats the point? Doesnt make you any cooler.

Yes! I am really suprised by the fact how many users here use userbars. Probably by using userbars from hard to get trackers, they think they are cooler and their opinions count more than thoes who don't have any userbars.

@topic, it is mostly done for security reasons.

WarrenBuffet
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
IT'S BCUZ...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/zaa730/sherffius-unle-sam-is-watching-you.jpg

thedemon44
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
So they don't get banned.

Which is a clear indication that they should not being posting the screenshots in the first place.

Sanka113
04-20-2008, 06:05 AM
If you participate in trades, giveaways etc, covering you're nick is done to prevent either party from getting banned and your invitee or your trading patna.

Also, like another member said, if you make a comment that a tracker may not agree with who's to stop them from banning you if they know your nick.

Finally having a different nick defintely protects you if your the type that uses the same pass at every site you are on.

buckpasser
04-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I think it's been fairly well addressed, but if the tracker has a policy not to give away (or trade) invites, it's a lot easier to piece the puzzle together if you have someone's username.

I had a similar question recently related to screenshots, which I felt can easily be faked. If you plan to give away an invite, and you are a member of another tracker they are, check their stats yourself and ask them to PM you there so you know it's them.

And I wouldn't use a username here that I use on trackers. Thankfully, the staff here has made it quite convenient to change your username, in case you didn't think of that when you signed up. Kudos to them for doing that.

Annoyed
04-20-2008, 07:07 AM
I do it since I don't want everyone knowing my username/stats at that particular site. You don't have to cover your if you don't want to, it's just that most dol

Costello
04-20-2008, 07:10 AM
privacy this is it

dunson
04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Only those who have something to hide need to cover their usernames. qft.

I also hate when people ask me for invites and give me "censored" screenshots, that actually can be taken from someone else and therefore they doesn't mean shit.

It's a lot better when you ask that person to PM you his e-mail in 2-3 different trackers, he claims to be a member of.;)

Exactly. I really don't know what to think of a screenshot with no tracker name, a couple of stats that really don't show me that's you and you're a good user. These forums probably have 10,000 available screenshots for people to just toss up there, especially if you edit them.

I use the same name pretty much everywhere. I show my username on proofs and the only thing I'll ever edit out is my IP address and my passkey. Like, for none of the trackers I've been lucky to receive lately, I offered no proofs of iTS whatsoever because I will not show a couple of little boxes from my profile page filled in with numbers and scribbles.

The Flying Cow
04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Right ghurka, because downloading illegal material from the internet isn't something to hide? :closedeye

Of course you need to hide your usernames. If you get involved in a RIAA/MPAA bust later on, this kind of naïve mistake will make it that much easier for you to get a visit by people you don't want to know.

Think about it FFS.

If people are so anal about your ratio proofs, they can ask you to PM them the usernames and proper with-username proofs. There's no need to be flashing yourself about like that. It's unsafe, not only because some trackers ban GA's or whatever, but most importantly because should a hacker try to fux you, he can much easierly go for it if he knows your usernames on all trackers. And if you don't change your password much, then, well, go change it now :D

stillhere
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
keep their privacy!