PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the average FST user is a "better" torrenter than the average torrenter?

WarrenBuffet
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
In this case better would mean, understanding exactly how torrent works, seeding to a 1:1 ratio, not .2:1 OR 1000:1, not being an acc's collecter and never leeching anything off the site etc..

It also would mean not buffering 5tb's of an acc to have a 1000 ratio to use as a screen shot to get trackers in giveaway's.

to quantify the "average" user, you would get

1. The average connection speed of all fst's members
2. The average age of all the users
3. Average time of the average time user's leave the torrents seeding
4. You would run an A-nova statistical test to check for general knowledge etc... Okay u get the point

deuce6000
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
I know all of the ones that are on my friends list are top torrenters.That always keep a 1/1 ratio(Usually more)and are all around nice people.But for the most part a lot of people are on this site just to get free invites which sucks.The only reason i joined was to get invites but i actually liked the community so i decided to make more of it then that.

I can't even count the number of invites i have given away that were banned for being idle.Also i lost my invites on oink for inviting a cheater.For the most part they just think they need something and don't use it which sucks.People need to start researching sites before they ask for an invite!

thedemon44
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
People need to start researching sites before they ask for an invite!

Well said.

0Ri0N
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I believe so, afterall even sysops hang out in FST and not only to bust scammers, mainly to prospect the market, i believe! ;)

SgtMajor
04-19-2008, 10:24 PM
No, not a better torrenter, just a wiser, street smart torrenter, which overall is not a good thing as it brings with it the inherent dangers of traders, cheaters & scammers.

Tracker owners & their staff would much rather the Invite Section (& maybe the BT section perhaps?) at FST did not exist at all, then it would be a nicer, quieter life for all and the torrenters could be educated to the trackers standards rather than to FSTs standards, which are fundamentally different whilst aiming for the same thing - just get some files.

Polarbear
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
i would rather have my tracker full of noobs who respect the rules and are proud to be a member than a bunch of experienced fst traders.

Zaxx
04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Given the jaw-dropping number of new threads in the trading forum every day (like 5-8 pages some days) and plus the fact that the trade forum sees more activity than the BT forum...I'd have to say no. My answer would be yes if it was just peeps with ~80% posts in BT section.

mrnobody
04-19-2008, 10:35 PM
average torrenter? it's such a vague word. In theory it's an average of MILLIONS of torrenters. When i dunno even a fraction of 'em, wouldn't judging all torrenters be a prejudge? Same thing could be said about FST.

EyezSS
04-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, since most of the users on FST are already familiar with bits of torrenting and have learnt alot from other users and the guides here. I myself didnt know about partial seeding so always had difficulty maintaining decent ratio at sites like bitmetv but not anymore.

trackrider
04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I found this site googleing for how to do something and have enjoyed the tutorials and would love to know enough to write one someday. I am interested in learning about other sites as there are so many now and they are so specialized in there content. :D I have enjoyed the site for these sections. The invite section I thought was going to be great as I have been with several sites for a long time and rarely find someone to give invites. Unfortunately it is so savage in the invite section I have not been brave enough to even offer. I read it and hope that I will learn a way to survive there but the rep system seems not to be helpful in the selection process and so many using ratio proof that are not real or theirs. Then the trader are so aggressive that they want this invite to sell, trade or buy their lunch that it is scary. So no, I don't think that being a member here makes some one a better member of any community, I think that some here are good members of other communities but I don't think I will see too many in the invite section here. :(

yayyyyyy
04-19-2008, 11:21 PM
"No, they leave countless acc's idle and often try to take advantage of any trackers they can."

nothing could describe better the average fst user :P

as a proof:

I myself didnt know about partial seeding so always had difficulty maintaining decent ratio at sites like bitmetv but not anymore.
the average torrenter, not fst member, probably using public trackers, would never download a torrent (or a part of it) just to boost his ratio

if being an fst member help increasing the possibilities to do partial seeding... we are going into the wrong path :D

fazzy07
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I dont know how to answer this

On fst, you ll get lot of info and ways of torrenting; some good, some bad and some really bad

people who take in the right info and filter out the bad ones are usually more successful and better torrenters

To answer in short, most people wont have different nicks here and on trackers if everything was good and fine here

I have been a culprit and was disabled at one or two trackers just because my nick was similar. Reason: I was active and participated in giveaways

rapesauce10
04-19-2008, 11:37 PM
No, most of these asshats trade.

stoi
04-20-2008, 12:11 AM
really hard one to answer.

like others have said, some members come here without being on any private trackers, and are very easily lead. so they take what it posted on here as gospel (the partial seeding for example) but then when they get into a tracker, they never read the Rules and FAQ of that tracker, because they think they know it all.

and not every tracker works the same way, as those in KL on BCG will no doubt inform you now lol

and the longer you have been torenting, usually the more loopholes you know (partial seeding, being a good cheat, when to do a giveaway, when to do a trade etc etc)

so for me, i would take a noob off mininova that we can at least teach something to onto our tracker, rather than a torrenter either from here or elsewhere, that thinks they know it all and think our rules are crap.

but saying that, you do get some good members here, problem that i can tell, they post like mad on here, i get them into BCG, and they dont have any posts and no downloads (only helping seed with their SB). well we have plenty of those already, and we need members of the community and that includes leechers, as without leechers, your tracker is pretty much worthless.

thEotheroNe
04-20-2008, 12:43 AM
this poll is a no-sense, everybody know i'm the canonical torrenter :D

EyezSS
04-20-2008, 12:43 AM
the average torrenter, not fst member, probably using public trackers, would never download a torrent (or a part of it) just to boost his ratio

if being an fst member help increasing the possibilities to do partial seeding... we are going into the wrong path :D

Public trackers don't have ratio to start with :P On ScT and bitmetv, majority of the leechers on packs are partial seeders which really pisses me off. Now users have become so obsessed with keeping good ratios that they don't download anything which ultimately results in hardly few snatches on a particular torrent especially in high level trackers as i am member of one of such tracker.

And i agree partial seeding is evil lol but some times there is no other way around.

Night0wl
04-20-2008, 12:44 AM
If you meant to write "Is the average FST user better then the average priv tracker user?" the I'm afraid the answer is No, they leave countless acc's idle and often try to take advantage of any trackers they can.

I have had many invite I have given here misused by the people that were absolutely dying to become a member at some tracker. I have also invited good users, but the good bad ratio is more bad than good. On the other hand, the people I have invited from private trackers, the people that wouldn't know the difference between FST and computerworld, they are mostly good users. I just invited someone from a private tracker yesterday. He already donated to help the tracker. What are the odds of that happening here?

I don't even consider myself a good user as per tracker owners/staff point of view. I prefer having access to as much stuff as possible, which means that I have lots of trackers. Some I used often, others I just keep alive for the occasional gem. And worse of all, I don't even consider that a bad thing.

fazzy07
04-20-2008, 01:00 AM
really hard one to answer.

like others have said, some members come here without being on any private trackers, and are very easily lead. so they take what it posted on here as gospel (the partial seeding for example) but then when they get into a tracker, they never read the Rules and FAQ of that tracker, because they think they know it all.

and not every tracker works the same way, as those in KL on BCG will no doubt inform you now lol

and the longer you have been torenting, usually the more loopholes you know (partial seeding, being a good cheat, when to do a giveaway, when to do a trade etc etc)

so for me, i would take a noob off mininova that we can at least teach something to onto our tracker, rather than a torrenter either from here or elsewhere, that thinks they know it all and think our rules are crap.

but saying that, you do get some good members here, problem that i can tell, they post like mad on here, i get them into BCG, and they dont have any posts and no downloads (only helping seed with their SB). well we have plenty of those already, and we need members of the community and that includes leechers, as without leechers, your tracker is pretty much worthless.

Probably true.. But then lot of staff dont have the time or patience to help out the nagging new guy

lostdemon
04-20-2008, 01:05 AM
I won't compare fst to the average user in the world but I will compare to the many that I know or have met in real life. So that being said I would say that an average torrenter here is better. Here is why

The average torrenters I know or metin real life are just big leechers with a crapload of different low level trackers all with bad ratios and could care less about sharing or maintaining a good ratio which is pretty sad imho.

The average user I've seen here seem to be good members who try to maintain good ratios. Atleast 1:1 and understand tracker rules. And when I say this I'm not talking about the members who buffer their accounts to ridiculous high numbers only to trade it or for the biggest e-penis contest

I agree with Stoi in that taking a noob and teaching them can be better than getting more experienced torrenters at times.

But with amount of people that sign up at trackers that just can't realistically isn't possible

I based it on real life because comparing members here to all torrenters is like comparing one city to the rest of the world.

t0mmy
04-20-2008, 01:27 AM
i think we are exposed to more information then the average torrenter, so we might have the slight advantage over some people

stoi
04-20-2008, 01:31 AM
well how long does it really take to learn how to use a private tracker, usually after your first 2 downloads, then you think, oh crap now what.

so you go and read up on stuff, whhich will take an hour tops, any questions just ask in the forum.

so say 3-4 hours max and you know just as much as somone thats been torrenting for 5 years, its not hard.

markupmaster
04-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Like squirr3l said,It's kind of hard to compare as there are so many torrenters out there..

:(

I have to agree with PolarBears post as well. I would choose a site filled with noobs who obay the rules over a site filled with Traders anyday.

:)

IdolEyes787
04-20-2008, 02:55 AM
I have to agree with PolarBears post as well. I would choose a site filled with noobs who obay the rules over a site filled with Traders anyday.

Is the average FST user a trader?
Does being a trader necessarily make him a poorer tracker member?
FST users are poorer tracker members because they see that there are more options beyond what they already belong to
so they fail to appreciate what they already have enough.

markupmaster
04-20-2008, 03:05 AM
I think you misunderstood..

:)

I am not saying that the average FST user is a trader.

I am also not saying that if you are a trader then you are not a good member at a tracker.

I am saying that when you trade,many times it risks others accounts at trackers. And that is just being careless on the traders part because if he didn't trade it then nothing would have happened.He may have not meant to harm other's accounts,But that's what happens sometimes.

I quit trading once I realised this. I also must say that while there are many bad members here at FST there are also many good ones.

Many people here at FST are great,active members a trackers who use forums,irc and really get into the community.

I probably should have elaborated more when I made my post and I apologize if I sounded too critical.

IdolEyes787
04-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Appreciate that you took the time to reply.More used to being ignored.:lol:
More than happy to accept the apology.:)

Sanka113
04-20-2008, 05:20 AM
I think if you're completely new to torrenting and use FST as a resource to enhance your understanding of how to be a good member at a tracker, then yes. If your an established bt user then more than likely they won't be that much of a better user.

stitched
04-20-2008, 07:12 AM
i think people are what they are and FST doesnt /shouldnt make any difference in thier torrenting habits...some are good users some are bad users...

Swift
04-20-2008, 07:29 AM
there are average torrenters in FST and there will be for a long time !

silvertec
04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
No as I was doing torrents before this place arrived
But for others maybe

wizardlok
04-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes I think we got a good and honest community here for the most part.

thedemon44
04-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Hard to say, ive seen some intelligent posts here, and ive seen some pretty stupid posts. I have not been here long, but it seems to be pretty much in line with the status quo of everywhere else ive been.

naaceer
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
NO i have many friends they are uploaders on trackers but they are not active here .

FST members are good for the forums but they are not good for downloading and uploading on trackers you can see it clearly on ptn its and scl .
choosing members from forums is not good idea there is lot of ppl who come here only to collect trackers .
anyway if you ask me about someone who have +100 rep point i will tell you he is bad member i dont trust +100 anonymous members from teh forums and invite them to my trackers .

escuoop
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
You can check every one if he is a collector or interested in torrent in general, just view his public profile and watch the statistics if it shows that he is most active in torrent invites then, mostly he is a collector.

And notice they have every thing they need and they are always shown in giveaways , their proofs always ready just in case.

those who ruin the torrent.

sear
04-21-2008, 10:30 PM
No they're not better, mainly because of the high number of collectors, traders and cheaters. In no way are all FST members like that but the sad fact is many are.

i agree partial seeding is evil lol but some times there is no other way around.

Not really, what if you only want to watch one episode? Why should you download the whole pack. Besides BitMeTV's sysop is the one who taught me about partial seeding so I don't think they have much of a problem with it.

EyezSS
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
]

Not really, what if you only want to watch one episode? Why should you download the whole pack. Besides BitMeTV's sysop is the one who taught me about partial seeding so I don't think they have much of a problem with it.

I understand your point but i guess hidden intention of partial seeding is to just increase the ratio and buffer. Imo if someone who is never been to private trackers, sees a pack with 100 of leechers who infact are partial seeders on bitmetv so he jumps on that torrent and totally screws his ratio in process.

Sites like bitmetv should highlight partial seeding in FAQ in case if they havn't.

sear
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
That's the gamble you take when you download a big torrent. IMO if you cant take the hit then don't grab it, and noobs have to learn that the same as anyone else.