PDA

View Full Version : Allowed to Hit and Run on this tracker!

KennyX
04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
http://torrent-hackers.co.uk/

I just noticed this, and it is a first for me. A private tracker that allows HnR's on torrents? It might not be all torrents, only free leech ones, but it still seems like a crazy policy to me.

Anyone else seen this on another tracker? Or have any thoughts on it?

edit: not free to leech, only free to HnR on this tracker.

Daniel
04-20-2008, 10:35 AM
HDBits for example has no hit&run policy either and the tracker is working pretty well with only the standard ratio enforcement. I'm sure that there are others too.

invite420
04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Rules suk! BiTT.ro disabled torrent log H&R away!

Swift
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
i think it all depends on the respect you gave to the tracker if your job is to help others as they helped you

Sanka113
04-20-2008, 10:48 AM
^^^ Agreed, torrenting is all about sharing. I guess enforcing a strict ratio policy will give their members a chance to keep things seeding them selves. Honestly, I believe that this tracker might run into issues of not having enough seeders on torrents.

Aliyans
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
hi
But y u think of hit n run.. if u download something from others u should give it back...thats the simple basic from which p2p concept grown up

RedluFF
04-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I think it strongly depends on what is considered as Hit and Run. Some trackers consider stopping the torrent after the download as hit and run. But for some trackers it is ok, as long as you seed it for a certain time (e.g. 8 hours)

There are a bunch of trackers which allow Hit and Run as long as you maintain a good overall ratio- and I think it's the right way. A user with a good overall ratio will know how filesharing works and won't hit and run :)

stoi
04-20-2008, 11:09 AM
No they wont, a user that knows how torrenting works, will partial seed to get a buffer, or use their SB to upload 300 gig in a day on 1 torrent, and then rape the site dry of 300 gig of other stuff. reuse seedbox, and repeat the process.

yb130225
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
both bit-hdtv and hdcorea have no hit&run rule

tutipute
04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
No they wont, a user that knows how torrenting works, will partial seed to get a buffer, or use their SB to upload 300 gig in a day on 1 torrent, and then rape the site dry of 300 gig of other stuff. reuse seedbox, and repeat the process.

That's debatable! Compare buffer to money, if you are selling cars for example, you will earn more money when selling one car than if you would have of sold only the tires...

At end of the day, you earn a certain amont of money from what you sold and you are allowed to use that money as you wish.

Now, i am sure that the marginal profit from selling tires is lower than the marginal profit from selling cars, same as in partial seeding.
However, people buy more tires than cars which allows other people to make a living from selling tires.

At the end of the day, if you ul 300gb you deserve to dl 300gb. Some people sell tires and that's cool, others are more into cars and so, in principle, HnR should not really damage the community.

If you are into the stuff you dl (Cars) you will have to seed it back, if you are just dl'ing it for the buffer (Tires) then good for you, at least you gave us back 300gb... I assume things should balance once the site have enough users and interesting content. In my opinion, HnR is only there to allow smaller sites with lousy content to stay alive in this ruthless bt market.
But then again, it is just my opionion... ;)

milsen
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
NB doesn't care about hit & runs either.

yayyyyyy
04-20-2008, 12:20 PM
many tracker where ppl are there to share and not just to increase their e-penis have not h&r policy...

for example hdbits (as mentioned earlier) and scenehd :)

stoi
04-20-2008, 12:20 PM

That's debatable! Compare buffer to money, if you are selling cars for example, you will earn more money when selling one car than if you would have of sold only the tires...

At end of the day, you earn a certain amont of money from what you sold and you are allowed to use that money as you wish.

Now, i am sure that the marginal profit from selling tires is lower than the marginal profit from selling cars, same as in partial seeding.
However, people buy more tires than cars which allows other people to make a living from selling tires.

At the end of the day, if you ul 300gb you deserve to dl 300gb. Some people sell tires and that's cool, others are more into cars and so, in principle, HnR should not really damage the community.

If you are into the stuff you dl (Cars) you will have to seed it back, if you are just dl'ing it for the buffer (Tires) then good for you, at least you gave us back 300gb... I assume things should balance once the site have enough users and interesting content. In my opinion, HnR is only there to allow smaller sites with lousy content to stay alive in this ruthless bt market.

no its not.

OK we have 6000 torrents on the tracker, ranging in size from kbs to 25 gig.

Member downloads a new torrent from elsewhere, seeds it on our tracker. uploads 300-400gig on that 1 torrent. then goes and proceeds to hit and run (and i mean downloading all, uploading 0 and stopping the torrent as soon as it finisshes.) on lets say all the NDS games on the tracker, thats about 20 gig, all the OST, all the Roms, all the DOX, and still have plenty left over for 10-15 new or old 360 games.

and then in a month or 2 time, doing it again, we may as well be a public, no ratio tracker, its a hell of a lot less headache to run one of those than a private tracker with ratios.

physter
04-20-2008, 12:47 PM
It's all about sharing. It's impossible to keep a 1:1 ratio on every torrent that you download no matter how long you seed for. Mathematics also dictates that if your ratio is over 1:1 then someone else must have a ratio under that. Those of us with a slow upload (eg cable) can't compete with the fat pipes and seedboxes so it's important to get a grip of the whole picture.

The point is that we seed where we can, one torrent that I am currently on has a ratio of 8.8 (only seed), others flounder at 0:0.

Sharing is not just about per torrent ratio and not hit-and-running, it's about the overall picture. If someone with a seedbox uploads 300gb on a popular torrent and then hits and runs to 300gb on others that is actually a good thing for the community because it gives the rest of us the chance to seed back on those other torrents which we can't do on the seedboxed one.

Furthermore, since you can only really seedbox to that extent on a really popular torrent it has the advantage of getting it spread quickly.

Hit and Running is only a bad thing when a proper ratio isn't maintained, the other menace of course is over-seeding which is just as bad.

Persnally, I never leave a torrent which has more leechers than seeders, I spread my seeding where it's needed most and I try not to overseed.

yayyyyyy
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM

no its not.

Member downloads a new torrent from elsewhere, seeds it on our tracker. uploads 300-400gig on that 1 torrent. then goes and proceeds to hit and run (and i mean downloading all, uploading 0 and stopping the torrent as soon as it finisshes.) on lets say all the NDS games on the tracker, thats about 20 gig, all the OST, all the Roms, all the DOX, and still have plenty left over for 10-15 new or old 360 games.

and then in a month or 2 time, doing it again, we may as well be a public, no ratio tracker, its a hell of a lot less headache to run one of those than a private tracker with ratios.

So you would prefer that that user with 300gb (that have UPLOADED 300gb... giving damn fast speed to all your users leeching that file) wouldn't have uploaded that file with his own seedbox?

just make that clear... and maybe deny overseeding (deny seeding more then 2.0?) ... that would make sense... so you can be sure that all the ppl will need to upload equally all the files......... and not just terabytes on one... and 0 on others....

anti hit-and-run does not solve the things.... as that user with big buffers will still download the torrent using his buffer, and will keep it seeding (limited to 1kb/s) for 36hours... nearly nothing will change in term of overall speed...

mrnobody
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
i wonder if they actually have anything to hit n' run :P

The Gladiator
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
:lol: Great one :D

stoi
04-20-2008, 02:00 PM
well if i do say so myself, this is why the SP system is so good.

Every torrent on the tracker you can get a 1:1 on.

and in reply to yayyyy

lets take a 4 gig torrent as an example.

you download all 4 gig, but upload nothing. either 0 leechers or your limiting your bw.

72 hours + 40 hours = 112 hours you have to seed for.

but lets say you upload 3 gig.

72 hours + 10 hours = 82 hours you have to seed for.

now most members can upload faster than 100 meg an hour, as its 100 meg = 1 point so its in everyones best interest that you actually upload instead of just sitting on it twidling your thumbs.

and with us being open again, even a torrent that may seem dead, might not be.

Something Else
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
It's a good system stoi, and works well.
I have a bit of a buffer there but i'm just using it for extra e-peen. :smilie4:

tutipute
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
no its not.

So you would prefer that that user with 300gb (that have UPLOADED 300gb... giving damn fast speed to all your users leeching that file) wouldn't have uploaded that file with his own seedbox?

just make that clear... and maybe deny overseeding (deny seeding more then 2.0?) ... that would make sense... so you can be sure that all the ppl will need to upload equally all the files......... and not just terabytes on one... and 0 on others....

anti hit-and-run does not solve the things.... as that user with big buffers will still download the torrent using his buffer, and will keep it seeding (limited to 1kb/s) for 36hours... nearly nothing will change in term of overall speed...

I will have to agree with you, overseeding limit is a great and most important simple one. It is true that BCG's system is good as well, though stoi it is not exactly how you mentioned it since the rules are much more strict than that... If you a 19:1 ratio between seeders and leechers it will take much more than: torrent siez - seed amount - 1gb*10 hours...
Why not keep it simple and set an seeding limit?

Beta
04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
HDBits for example has no hit&run policy either and the tracker is working pretty well with only the standard ratio enforcement. I'm sure that there are others too.

no HNR really? so that's why thet banned my acc after 2 seconds i stopped a torrent in 50% :blink:

stoi
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
well the 20:1 is there because if you have 19 seeders and only 1 leech, you might actually be able to upload. but we have to do the cut off point somewhere.

and seeding limit, ive just explained that.

just set your global upload to 1KBs over the 5-10-15 torrents, seed for 72 hours (or 36 if its under 500meg) and get a 1 ratio.

but if you actually upload, you get rewarded, if you dont, then seed for longer, its pretty simple and not hard at all as far as i can see.

soulreaper
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
The SP system at BCG is truly unique and is an absolute godsend for users with poor speeds. I've always been a supporter of a seedtime system because quite frankly its not fair to pitch a normal user with a seedbox user.

Frankly why should torrenting be hardwork or an exercise? It should be enjoyable and not a big load on your head that you can't quite get rid of,constantly worrying about ratios,BAH. That's my take on it anyway.

Something Else
04-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree that ratios are silly and unfair on those with crappy connections. Free stuff shouldn't just be free to those who can afford it (seedbox) (fast-connection).

soulreaper
04-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Exactly Benchez,invite me to iTS already! :whistling

Btw that's a pretty nifty hat on Gandhi in your sig, ROFL.