PDA

View Full Version : Do people just not give a shit about Demonoid ?

fisherman
04-21-2008, 12:15 AM
The title say's it all really.

What I'm saying is ok there is giveaway's in the invite section every day and some guy's want different types of proof ect.. as in ratio screens and profile links ect... but as soon as Demonoid opened it's doors for business everywhere on the net codes are being advertised.

Prob the reason I wrote this thread was that I saw in the invite section a thread something like "Giveaway", and in the thread was an actual Demonoid code just copy/pasted. So I take it, it was a first come first served.

I know Demonoid is a semi-private tracker, but you have to admit that you find some stuff on there that you just don't get on private trackers, especially appz and some older stuff.

Private trackers are a combination of community, privacy and in some cases content.... but it looks as the privacy has just about gone from Demonoid.

I'm glad Demonoid is back, it's just unbelieveable to see how their invites are being throwin about.

markupmaster
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
fisherman,I totally agree with you..

Many People overlook Demonoid's Positive qualities..

:(

P.S. We Miss you At you-know-where!

:P

mrnobody
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM

What I'm saying is ok there is giveaway's in the invite section every day and some guy's want different types of proof ect.. as in ratio screens and profile links ect... but as soon as Demonoid opened it's doors for business everywhere on the net codes are being advertised.

Prob the reason I wrote this thread was that I saw in the invite section a thread something like "Giveaway", and in the thread was an actual Demonoid code just copy/pasted. So I take it, it was a first come first served.

I know Demonoid is a semi-private tracker, but you have to admit that you find some stuff on there that you just don't get on private trackers, especially appz and some older stuff.

Private trackers are a combination of community, privacy and in some cases content.... but it looks as the privacy has just about gone from Demonoid.

I'm glad Demonoid is back, it's just unbelieveable to see how their invites are being throwin about.

first, demonoid has freaking huge database of users and it's almost impossible for them to keep an eye on each demon user

second, it's the rule m8, they don't care if invite codes are pasted on public.

Night0wl
04-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Demonoid is as big as possible. Every user is a good user.. or is he?

LvrPool
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
It's a great tracker (right, with a lot of old stuff). Best aspect.

fisherman
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM

first, demonoid has freaking huge database of users and it's almost impossible for them to keep an eye on each demon user

I understand the huge data base and the hassle involved in pursuing bad users ect... And I also know it wouldn't matter how bad your ratio is that you wouldn't get banned, and that came from the staff. But it still is a semi-private tracker and if they are gonna be happy with members just posting codes in public, shur they might as well just become public, though I know that would be strenuous on their server.

I just think it's disrespectful to just post codes in public to any private or semi-private tracker.

mrnobody
04-21-2008, 12:38 AM

I understand the huge data base and the hassle involved in pursuing bad users ect... And I also know it wouldn't matter how bad your ratio is that you wouldn't get banned, and that came from the staff. But it still is a semi-private tracker and if they are gonna be happy with members just posting codes in public, shur they might as well just become public, though I know that would be strenuous on their server.

I just think it's disrespectful to just post codes in public to any private or semi-private tracker.

Since there isn't any rule stating whether it's allowed or disallowed, i guess it comes down to individuals' perspective.

DasFox
04-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Yep the way Demonoid invites were being thrown left and right made it look like nothing... :(

PEACE

Gish
04-21-2008, 01:20 AM
dude even before they went down demonoid invites where thrown around. but I do agree with you!

Grind$oFine
04-21-2008, 01:27 AM
What exactly is the negative effect of doing this?

Privacy? That's just silly. If Demonoid wanted privacy, I think they'd be doing things a bit differently.

Believe it or not, not every tracker wants to be a big secret or keep most of the BT population out of it. If the staff there really were worried about publicity, I think they could've just stayed closed. If they didn't want their invites going out, they wouldn't give them to everyone in the tracker. They obviously have different values about how to run a tracker and what's important.

And as far back as I know, since Demonoid has had invite codes, they have been posted in public, and it has helped a lot of people. Why change anything? It has made Demonoid what it is...

Besides, more often than not, I'd guess the people getting the codes are people who are trying to download a torrent they found on a public tracker that is from Demonoid but they're not a member. It's not like if FTN invites were given that way and people would be making dupe accounts for buffering and trading, etc.

Annoyed
04-21-2008, 01:29 AM
I wish Demonoid would enforce rules like other private trackers.

MrBurlesque
04-21-2008, 01:30 AM
I do not think that Demonoid invites being thrown around willy-nilly have any reflection on the quality of its content. The beauty of Demonoid is that anyone who puts any amount of effort into getting an invite can get one. The tremendous amount of unique content on Demonoid should be available to all torrenters without having to go through the hierarchy of other private torrent sites. If someone is deterred from using Demonoid by the ease of getting an invite then it's their loss.

Grind$oFine
04-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Then it would become the same as the other private trackers. What good would that do?

Content would go way down, users would go down, it wouldn't be as easy to seed...

Demonoid is so great right now, because it doesn't enforce those rules - why do you think it was impossible to find anything close to being a Demonoid replacement?

vaio
04-21-2008, 01:47 AM
i am agree with what you said my bro

Annoyed
04-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Then it would become the same as the other private trackers. What good would that do?

Content would go way down, users would go down, it wouldn't be as easy to seed...

Demonoid is so great right now, because it doesn't enforce those rules - why do you think it was impossible to find anything close to being a Demonoid replacement?

You're acting like doing something as simple as enforcing ratio would bring the site down. A lot of people talk bad about the site because of the speeds and all the douche bag hit n' runners. Which I personally do not care. Because with all that great content...the speeds are very forgivable.

But...if they would enforce something like a 1:1 ratio/72hr seed rule, that could get rid of both those problems. I'm not trashing Demonoid. I've been a member for a long time, and it's one of my favorite sites. But doing something like enforcing ratio, I don't think would hurt the site. I think it would make it just that much better.

saqib
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM

:noes: this is the beauty of demonoid . that they are not same as other pvt trackers, but i think hit n run is quite popular there .. :yup:

VIZFX
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Like a lot of other ppl here, I'm very glad to have Demoniod back, and I hope that they stick around for a long time, but in order to do that then they need to have some rules regarding invites and privacy. Respect the Demon, or it will go away. Just my opnion.

Spillage
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
"Do people just not give a shit about Demonoid ?" - The title say's it all really .

If only the title had said it all, really . I'll answer the supposed original question, rather than the qualified Invite value crap that followed . Yes, people do give a shit about Demonoid .

Zaxx
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I rarely ever use Demonoid myself (unless they have a super rare torrent that I just can't find elsewhere) mostly because it's one of the biggest/most popular trackers around, making them a prime target of the initials. When they go after a torrent site they want to take out the largest and most popular tracker(s) first when they can. (suprnova, torrrent spy, loki, oink). Imo semi-private doesn't mean much. Add to that the OP's point as well. So what if I'm a bit on the paranoid side...:P

KSA
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Demonoid is fine as it's.

escuoop
04-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I totally agree with you, and not just the rules, even their system, I have an account there and I am pretty sure I seeded most of my torrents to 1:3, but still my ratio 0.6

I didn't care to seed after that

weenden
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
thats what i dont like just posting codes it was my first site i was on and wish they would just close the invites all together

G-Force
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
When i give out invites for Demonoid i still ask for speed test and ratio proofs, and generally you get some one saying something along the lines of "do you really think any one is going to go to that effort for Demonoid?"

The way i see it is Demonoid is alway fairly slow for me when downloading, so if i can make a small difference by only inviting quality people and others do the same it will make my Demonoid experience a lot better and a lot quicker.