PDA

View Full Version : Where do you find all the ultra-rare stuff?

arvind_sampath
04-21-2008, 07:53 PM
hi folks.

when you're looking for something especially rare or dated, be it music, movies or anything else, where do you most often find it?

1.) Torrent trackers (if yes, then which ones?)
2.) Music blogs
3.) E-mule
4.) Soulseek
5.) Other (specify)

Cheers!:D

punki_rach
04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I use torrents mainly for really rare stuff. Like waffles/what for music and karagarga for movies. Usenet has loads of stuff but these trackers have loads of stuff I can't find anywhere else. Even in shops/ebay or whatever sometimes.

wazza100
04-22-2008, 01:27 AM
rapidshare has lots of the really obscure stuff, so that's what i primarily use. Though for other releases use torrents.

RedHot
04-22-2008, 01:46 AM
For off-scene shit -> RS
All other shit ->torrent

Cabalo
04-22-2008, 04:42 AM
torrent trackers, usually either goem, karagarga, cinemaobscura or cinemageddon as for movies.

LvrPool
04-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Pretty much torrent trackers exclusively used to use soulseek a bit though.

arvind_sampath
04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
i have found lots of great rare and out-of-print stuff through blogs on rapidshare, and for what i don't find there, i've usually succeeded with soulseek, and if i still don't get what i'm looking for, then with e-mule.
usenet, i'm just getting into though...but tell me, how does usenet compare with these others when it comes to older rare stuff? i've been checking out the well-known groups, and i usually only find new stuff and/or popular stuff there...nothing too obscure, old or rare. am i missing something or looking in the wrong places?

The Flying Cow
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
some tracker sites, but for really REALLY rare shit nothing like the proper scene - private stro's, usenet.

emule is OK for older albums, but its quality is generally despicable, and it is full of redundant fakes and more bollocks.

arvind_sampath
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
"for really REALLY rare shit nothing like the proper scene - private stro's, usenet."

o.k...i'm a little new to this whole scene, so i have 2 questions:

1.) what are private stro's?
2.) you find rare stuff on the usenet...i'm thinking this must be on private, pay-for usenet groups, which aren't usually accessible to all the others? correct me if i'm wrong.

The Flying Cow
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
private stro's are private ftps, hosted by scene members or friends of scene members, which have much faster speeds than private trackers (save for a few higher-end trackers like FTN/the kind that have seedboxes) and where, for a small monthly fee, you don't need to upload anything but can leech away like a wild goat.
yeah, its very hard to get any of this free. if you want to find stro's for free you need to scour certain sites, and try to hack your way into stro's (not advised). With the usenet its the same principle - harder to get it for free, than paying.

orfik
04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I've never been able to find anything on Usenet that I couldn't find on my trackers or Emule. I've even challenged people to prove that Usenet would suit my needs better, to no avail.

If you're into rare movies, get yourself on KG and Cinematik. If you don't find it there, I can almost guarantee it'll be on Emule, but quality is sometimes a concern.

For music, get Waffles (What is optional), MBT, Pedro's, and E****. Even if you aren't a fan of lossless, they're always putting up rare and out of print stuff that you'll only find on those sites. If you don't find it there, go to Emule.

Using this combination, I've been able to amass thousands of albums while missing out on maybe three or four that I simply cannot find.

The Flying Cow
04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
The usenet has things even E**** doesn't IMO. I know this not from being a member in E****, but because I have a friend who actively uses the news, and he got me an EP and a tape album that are I think available nowhere else.

This was really really really really rare stuff. I don't think even Pedro or the tasty Waffles have this kind of stuff. But hey, just my opn.

arvind_sampath
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
yeah, but obviously this stuff your friend found was on some exclusive, paid-members-only usenet group, right? correct me if i'm wrong.

and another thing...if anyone can answer me...why has all usenet (atleast the good parts) access become pay-only (i.e. through paid accounts on servers) when the torrent world, the mule and pretty much all other competiting sources for download, are still very friendly, and still allow good unfiltered access to free users?
did something go wrong with usenet?
i'm sure it wasn't what the guys who started it intended...

saqib
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
usually some trackers hold great content in shape of packs TL has retro section too .for movies basically .. but in rare cases RS also holds it share .

Gun Nac
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
The usenet has things even E**** doesn't IMO. I know this not from being a member in E****, but because I have a friend who actively uses the news, and he got me an EP and a tape album that are I think available nowhere else.

This was really really really really rare stuff. I don't think even Pedro or the tasty Waffles have this kind of stuff. But hey, just my opn.

For one thing, both What and Waffles have more lossless rips than E****
Also, music trackers have standards for monitoring torrent quality. How good is usenet at doing that?

The Flying Cow
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Well both the EP and the tape were in great quality (192 and 256 Bitrate for iPod its great (can't put lossless/FLAC on the iPod i think) but I do get what you mean Nac.

And yes I also find it extremely annoying that news now requires pay. Isn't that against the motto of what we do? Some can get good news for free though, but I don't know how :1eye:.

Chewie
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
yeah, but obviously this stuff your friend found was on some exclusive, paid-members-only usenet group, right? correct me if i'm wrong.

and another thing...if anyone can answer me...why has all usenet (atleast the good parts) access become pay-only (i.e. through paid accounts on servers) when the torrent world, the mule and pretty much all other competiting sources for download, are still very friendly, and still allow good unfiltered access to free users?
i'm sure it wasn't what the guys who started it intended...
Usenet newsgroups are not exclusive members-only sites but news service providers can choose which groups to 'carry' on their servers.

The providers that don't charge (basically, ISPs that provide the service to their users) tend to carry only text groups or perhaps the least active binaries but not the most active ones such as DVD groups.

In the UK Blueyonder & NTL offered quite impressive content but with less than a week retention so you had to be on the ball to get things. Since Virgin bought out both, I hear the service has been heading downhill, somewhat.

As regards finding rare items, if what you want is not there then all you need do is request and someone usually provides. It helps to post something useful with your request in the subject line (this has never failed for me) but it's not a good idea to use your ISP to do this... Tera News (http://www.teranews.com) offer unlimited posting on their free accounts, though.

arvind_sampath
04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
originally posted by Chewie:

Usenet newsgroups are not exclusive members-only sites but news service providers can choose which groups to 'carry' on their servers.

The providers that don't charge (basically, ISPs that provide the service to their users) tend to carry only text groups or perhaps the least active binaries but not the most active ones such as DVD groups.

In the UK Blueyonder & NTL offered quite impressive content but with less than a week retention so you had to be on the ball to get things. Since Virgin bought out both, I hear the service has been heading downhill, somewhat.

As regards finding rare items, if what you want is not there then all you need do is request and someone usually provides. It helps to post something useful with your request in the subject line (this has never failed for me) but it's not a good idea to use your ISP to do this... Tera News (http://www.teranews.com) offer unlimited posting on their free accounts, though.

1.)yes, sorry for getting those words mixed up. i intended to say "usenet service providers", and was wondering why most of the good ones are pay-only, especially when the newsgroups, which they tap into for material, don't restrict or charge access in any way. this is particularly difficult to understand when most of the material available there (i say most because i'm not sure all of it is) is also simultaneously available in so many other places...on trackers, blogs etc.

2.)the requests you're talking about are ones that can be made in newsgroups, right? well, yes, that is something that i haven't tried yet. thanks for the help. :)

Sonnentier
04-26-2008, 01:52 PM
what are private stro's?

Stro stands for 'servers that are owned', means hacked servers for the purpose of warez distribution. They are used within the FxP scene.

why has all usenet (atleast the good parts) access become pay-only (i.e. through paid accounts on servers) when the torrent world, the mule and pretty much all other competiting sources for download, are still very friendly, and still allow good unfiltered access to free users?

The centralized structure of Usenet, between the user and the server, means that their service can't scale at no cost. With growing number of users, their bandwidth increases - for every user's download they need equivalent upstream. The data due to higher retention also has to be stored completely on their own servers.

Free servers would be exhausted and overwhelmed. The users only leech and can't give back upload or anything that would take load from the servers. Providers carrying binaries became commercial, as that's how they can ensure reliable service. That way providers can continuously extent their connectivity and storage.. premium customers always say, you get what you pay for..

You can also see this phenomena with other centralized projects, like file-hosters. Usually they are great in the beginning, but just some time later they are so unreliable and slow, and most of them disappeared over time because the cost was too high or something. Basically only commercial ones like Rapidshare etc. survived..

If someone would launch a free but high-retention binary newsserver, the users will rush and it will become known over time. Soon many gbit connections will be saturated all the time, and you have to manage all that load so leeching can go on. This becomes very expensive and if the users don't contribute financially this creates immense cost :pinch:

arvind_sampath
04-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Sonnentier, thank you so much for that explanation. Now it's clear. Also, i have another question (i don't know if this belongs here, but starting a new thread just for this seems unnecessary). You mentioned the STROs used within the FxP scene. I'm presuming these are the servers to which the "scene" members upload their new releases. My question is, what is the roadmap that these "new uploads" take from here? Do they come on to the private trackers after this, and if so, how long does it take? Where do the new releases go after they've come on the private trackers? And where does the usenet fit in on this roadmap? Does it operate in parallel to these scene releasers, with a different set of people, or are they the same people? Also, where do the files come on first: the usenet or the STROs? Is there any competition?

Phew, that's more questions in a paragraph, than i ever remember writing! Hope to hear from you soon...

maged918
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I use soulseek for the really rare music.. but that's when all else has failed

trodas
05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Usually eMule KAD search - when everything else fails - help me out. But still, there is stuff my friend searching for and can't find. Oh, well... :)

pifpaf
05-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Emule.

hydro44
05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
When something i can't find anyehere i use rapidshare

other than that i use torrent trackers

kooltilldend
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
i'm somewhat of a collector of obscure japanese rpg's (ps2)...till now BC has served every single request of mine!

box + mininova usually fulfill my anime needs too - and some of the stuff on box is indeed very obscure

formos
05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
btjunkies or dc++

Snake91
05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
1)Rapidshare
2)Usenet
3)Private tracker

weenden
05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
i use emule for certain things ,winmx private servers and bit torrent for all else

pone44
05-12-2008, 03:44 AM
demonoid is nice for everything-ebooks-anything on the other sites!!!:naughty: just speed is slower sometimes.:(
the box is cool,suggest too give a try if you can:yup:
search the forums and you will see which fits your needs, just follow the rules....:fst:

Blackbeard
05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I use demonoid if its not there i check warez-bb if not i check limewire or ares..

DjFresh
05-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I use eMule./

kondrae
05-14-2008, 01:10 AM
if i cant find it on private tracker, than its time for TPB
if cant find there , then emule
long live eMule !

giannis
05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
private trackers mostly.
if i cannot find what i need, i try private dc++ hubs

JBolinha
05-16-2008, 11:52 PM
emule and some trackers

antiglitz
05-17-2008, 01:17 AM
eMule has had the most files that I couldn't find anywhere else. Soulseek is also good, but for music only.

Sonnentier
05-17-2008, 01:59 AM
You mentioned the STROs used within the FxP scene. I'm presuming these are the servers to which the "scene" members upload their new releases.
As much as I know, it's usually not the real scene but leaked one time when it comes to the hacked servers. Many people might take the releases from such servers to put it further in distribution, although I'm not sure and I guess you never know exactly how the distribution works.

My question is, what is the roadmap that these "new uploads" take from here? Do they come on to the private trackers after this, and if so, how long does it take? Where do the new releases go after they've come on the private trackers? And where does the usenet fit in on this roadmap? Does it operate in parallel to these scene releasers, with a different set of people, or are they the same people? Also, where do the files come on first: the usenet or the STROs? Is there any competition?Usually the material always has its source from the scene (well if it's 0day material this is pretty much true, for high-resolution / lossless / rips there are also other good releasers). As much as I know, there are several people that have some sort of leech axx (may it be dumps, or whatever) and would then put it on other platforms from there.

Usually it's only about minutes until the release drops down through the hierarchy, thus it's not that easy to determine the exact roadmap.
Private trackers can be very fast, and e.g. SCC shows the time after pre for every torrent, that's the time that passed until the file reached this place.

And no, there isn't really a competition between Fxp and Usenet, they hardly know of each other and just try to be close to the pre ^^

Because you asked about the ultra-rare stuff, I might also write this: The scene usually has a very wide spectrum of files, but access is restricted. Now it's the question, how much content will spin-off to other methods, be it Fxp, Usenet, Torrent, whatever. Mainstream stuff like a new movie will always find its way down to the 'lowest forms' of data-exchange, while rare content might lodge in the hierarchy, due to a small audience and lower motivation. So if you find good Stros, they might have a whole lot of data, especially if the responsible users carry files of your interest. But you might also just find some mainstream movies, and such servers often get lost (re-hacked, administrator got it back, whatever).
With Usenet, it's a bit easier, because basically you have access to the whole band of newsgroups, so it's not that important to find the right place like it is with single FTP servers.

mpeg3s
05-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Shareaza is the best P2P Edonkey/Mule replacement

DATTER
05-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I find rare things on RS and Emule.

Mad Professor
05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
eMule for rare movies/documentaries that I can't find on BT trackers.. but most of the time, it's painfully slow.

Peanut
05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
i use torrents./a music forum/some times ares

0riGiNaLBoX
05-24-2008, 08:12 PM
get it from karagarga, cinemaobscura or cinemageddon only for movies

kp666
05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
public trackers