PDA

View Full Version : Ironic how BT is becomming like the Scene

Truthfully
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I joined this forum simply to make this one post. Does anybody else find it funny that Bittorrent, once known as a file sharing medium for the masses, has started to turn into an elitest group of self-absorbed asses?

I'm looking at some of these threads and am honestly thinking to myself that it'd be easier to join the ACTUAL scene rather than put up with all of this bullshit. What's worse are the sites with only special uploaders, because then the users are contributing little more than bandwidth.

What I find lame too is people uploading stuff and taking credit for it as if it was their creation (scene stuff mostly, though obvisouly this isn't always the case). You can be sure that I don't bother with any of it, I'm well setup in terms of getting pretty much anything I need, without BT. I was a member of Torrentbits back in the day, as well as Elite... but the whole torrent scene is just sad now.

My opinion, does anybody else agree?

Barbarossa
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I agree.

ghurka
04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I agree.I don't.

stoi
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Depends what site i suppose, i can only talk about mine and our reasons for only letting uploaders upload. (and SPU to fill request)

We allowed everyone before, and it was a mess, Crap descriptions, Dupes, Uploaded in the wrong cat, Fakes, Viruses, Apps when we dont allow apps, Movies when we dont allow movies, you get the idea.

Its also not that hard to become an uploader, just get to PU and Apply, you dont need a min speed, as long as you can upload 1 thing every 2 weeks you will be fine.

as for uploaders claiming it to be theirs, ive never really noticed that on BCG, and we even have a rule in place, that once it is snatched, does not matter what torrent it is, the snatcher is free do do whatever he wishes with it. I personally think that, if you snatch it and dont upload anywhere else mentality is totally hypocritcal. but each site to their own i suppose, i just dont agree with it at all.

Distinguished
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Disagree but partially you are correct..
Don't you think its Not so Easy to get into sc*n* so easily then none would have created such Tough Rules to follow about Ratio and all for Private Trackers.
The one who needs will find it but certainly after some more time..
Scene is just not a place to Get into for getting your Desired apps and needs whatever..

Just look at some warez site for example.. its all scene productivity of crac*s,keyg*ns and patches.. will you say Warez site are becoming like scene then ?

I'm looking at some of these threads and am honestly thinking to myself that it'd be easier to join the ACTUAL scene rather than put up with all

escuoop
04-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree with stoi, when I have to use public trackers I can't download unless it has a comments about the file and that doesn't mean it's viruses free.

even with movies I remember u get bad quality or unknown language's subtitle embedded in the movie.

M3dium
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I prefer priv. sites that let anyone upload. If someone has managed to find their way to an "exclusive" tracker, they are probably fairly experienced BT users. Allowing a select few to upload kills selection, and doesn't do much for the sites community imo.

stoi
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I prefer priv. sites that let anyone upload. If someone has managed to find their way to an "exclusive" tracker, they are probably fairly experienced BT users. Allowing a select few to upload kills selection, and doesn't do much for the sites community imo.

like i said depends on the tracker, a tracker with 1000-5000 members then yeah let everyone upload, as its pretty easy for the staff to handle and keep on top of, a site with 50,000 members though, it would be folly to do so.

and lack of content, hmm we have about 120 uploaders, and we have over 6000 games torrents on the tracker, i wouldnt say there was a lack of content there.

SenorBubbz
04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I agree.

So do I, yet... I always come back for more.

It's a disease :blink:

IdolEyes787
04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Bittorrent, once known as a file sharing medium for the masses, has started to turn into an elitest group of self-absorbed asses?

I can't agree with that statement,it should be self- important asses.

No seriously some private trackers are restrictive but it's a fair price to pay not to having to worry so much about everything you download.

stillhere
04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Undecided....!

Barbarossa
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I agree.I don't.

Well you're wrong :P

EDIT: Actually I should point out I was only agreeing with the "self-absorbed asses" part, really :idunno:

Qlix
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I agree.I don't.

Nor do I. :)

Polarbear
04-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I joined this forum simply to make this one post.

bye :wave:

ghurka
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't.

Well you're wrong :P

EDIT: Actually I should point out I was only agreeing with the "self-absorbed asses" part, really :idunno:Ah well there's plenty of those in every walk of life. I think mister one-post-and-I'm-out-of-here is tarring everyone with the same brush. A minority maybe are asses but the BT community as a whole is pretty cool.

danio
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

^ hahaha that's priceless Polarbear! :D

S3v3N
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Barbarossa (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/barbarossa-5) are you Truthfully (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/truthfully-203062) ?

i agree of what he said .

TheFoX
04-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, I'd agree with Truthfully if it wasn't for one simple reason.

Too many people have been burned in takedowns and other related incidents.

Truthfully refers to Tbits and Elite. I remember those carefree days of open door trackers, and I also remember the heartbreak when we were scattered to the four winds.

Don't be so quick to judge us as self important arseholes. We do things for a reason, and that reason is genuine...

The Flying Cow
04-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I'll agree with ghurka on this one.

The OP is right on many of his points. It is at this point, I would presume from my wandering about, easier to be into the scene (Napalm, stro's, pub/private, etc) than get into, say, this "rare" level crap.

I'm not taking the piss out of these security measures, I'm siding with the OP in what he means about all this showing off the trackers I belong to and where I'm a DONOR or a UPLOADER. Great thing for you mate, this is not a badge to wear, it's something you do to help out.

No need to be arrogant and rude, and basically a "self-absorbed asshole" :yes:

But in the long run, like ghurka said, people can also be really cool in the BT scene, if you know the right ones.

Polarbear don't be rude to our guest. :devil:

DanielleD87
04-24-2008, 02:29 AM
you obviously don't know what the scene is like.

silvertec
04-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Problem is now BT has become mainstream, a hell of a lot more sites now still can't believe it.
Security is most important on site these days
Thats why sites hunt down traders of accounts which can be a big breech
Before when i started in BT it was just a few friends now its every Joe Blow wanting his share.
Sites will change with the times to survive what ever that maybe better or worse.

rvt
04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Errr, BT is for the masses. If you don't like what's currently available, you can start your own site, fill it with the staff you want, have the files you want and then proceed to be self absorbed and ban anyone you don't like.

Setting up a scene topsite would not be so easy.

Disme
04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree partially ... and find it very amusing when i see postings on some trackers that actually say: "Don't post our releases on other trackers".
Funny when you know virtually everything that appears on a tracker, comes from other place that are Not-BT-related.

I think that's why the OP called them 'self-absorbed'.

It is a fact that there are some nice guys in the BT-scene too, but as rvt said ... BT's become something for the masses, and there's a lot of retards in the masses.

:fst:

saqib
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
agreed disme , and i think BT do have TPB and isohunt for those type of retards ,.

Unstable1
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM

like i said depends on the tracker, a tracker with 1000-5000 members then yeah let everyone upload, as its pretty easy for the staff to handle and keep on top of, a site with 50,000 members though, it would be folly to do so.

Hi Stoi,

I'm not sure I agree with you. TheBox.bz has 60000 members, 19500 torrents and anyone can upload. All that achieved in less than a year since opening. Certainly for a TV site, I think part of TheBox's success is due to allowing anyone to upload.

Having said that, BCG rocks! I love your site and you know what works best, I'm sure.

Cheers

grimms
04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I think some of the important asses you refer to came to the point of having to become restrictive due to so many members hindering the site they joined. Whether it's trading, ratio problems, problems in the forum, leeching, etc. I prefer the private trackers to be honest.

Usually less headache in my personal opinion and better quality vs the public sites which is an utter mess at times(Think Kazaa days). I do agree that some of the more important asses, are just that, asses due to their little mod title, upload status or whatever other variables factored in(Not all though).

Truthfully
04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I didn't think I'd post again, but it seems that I'm not the only one that thinks this way, to some degree. I did come across a list of "levels" which made me even sadder. I'm sure there are a ton of people with great content or experience that would like to share, but more or less can.

I saw a comment about it being a "mess" with upload privileges given to everybody, but again, having a strict format for the uploads is very scene like. I used to like contributing, as I have pretty good technical knowledge of video encoding, which allowed me to release high quality uploads, far superior to the scene garbage.

For the record, once upon a time I did have scene access, so I do know a thing or two about it all. I'm also against people leaking scene stuff on BT, as it draws unwanted attention to the community... BT users could just as easily produce content, even more so, as I suspect there are a LOT more BT users than scene participants. That being said, I thought it used to suck that we had to conform to scene rules, which are totally arbitrary. I'll take a constant quality encode over any 2 pass VBR any day of the week.

And I hope that whoever quoted security as being a reason was joking. I understand that big sites bring attention... but open signups with the ability to prune bad users seems fair to me....

ShadowsServant
04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Truthfully, you do have a point. I also prefer quality releases, I don't mind waiting. I don't need to watch the latest on the scene right away, there are so many other thing to watch and do in the meantime.
I hate the fact that BT has become targeted. With ISP's pitching in to throttle bittorrent traffic. It's such a mess. We the clients can't do much about it, only change ISP's.

I agree with Stoi a structured way of uploading is ideal, makes it less chaotic. On public trackers fakes and viruses are very abundant. With a little structure that could be rectified.

klink05
04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
most of the people i see around here and on tracker forums who have been aroudn here for awhile seem like genuinely good guys. the majority of the self-absorbed ones that i see are people who i remember their first post of not knowing anything and suddenly 2 months later when they get an invite to a "high level" tracker, out comes the condescenscion and suddenly, they are a god to the BT world. fortunately, these are the ones that after they get all the trackers they want, stop posting and i don't ahve to deal with anymore.

stroj
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I dont agree at all.

You should ask yourself how easy/hard it is to run such a big torrents site for "masses" and if its really worth for you to do it. Becouse you have all shit on your head, unlike scene, where everyone contributing

emperorIX
04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I too agree with the OP, there is little need for the elitist attitude so prevalent in the BT community.

I think too many BT users and site admins/owners are perhaps a little too envious of the scene and try a bit too hard to mirror them, which includes the elitist attitude.

The scene is legitimately exclusionary as there is a real concern for security because as a group they are the largest copyright offenders out there and they do engage in other unlawful activities as well (hacking private servers, etc). Whereas, many of the "top" private BT sites contribute little more than hosting for torrent files that point your computer to scene created material and offer little if any original content of their own. And, maintaining an anonymously owned site is much easier than maintaining an anonymous group, as a site will typically have only one owner. Anonymity is very easy to achieve when running a site utilizing private shells and numbered accounts, which are both cheap and easy to setup. However, there can be a real security concern once the user base reaches the size of, say, Oink or Demonoid or TPB.

And, Quality control is definitely not an excuse for this elitist attitude as most/all of their material is scene created in the first place.

So, perhaps this elitist attitude is akin to penis envy, as many of these private BT sites want so bad to be a part of the scene, but really do little more than leech from the scene. Now there's an irony for you....sites that actively deride or condemn leeching, leeching themselves to survive.

Zaxx
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
it'd be easier to join the ACTUAL scene

I partially agree with the OP...except for this part, hoping you were j/k :blink:

WarrenBuffet
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I joined this forum simply to make this one post. Does anybody else find it funny that Bittorrent, once known as a file sharing medium for the masses, has started to turn into an elitest group of self-absorbed asses?

I'm looking at some of these threads and am honestly thinking to myself that it'd be easier to join the ACTUAL scene rather than put up with all of this bullshit. What's worse are the sites with only special uploaders, because then the users are contributing little more than bandwidth.

What I find lame too is people uploading stuff and taking credit for it as if it was their creation (scene stuff mostly, though obvisouly this isn't always the case). You can be sure that I don't bother with any of it, I'm well setup in terms of getting pretty much anything I need, without BT. I was a member of Torrentbits back in the day, as well as Elite... but the whole torrent scene is just sad now.

It won't be your last. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

SgtMajor
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Some of the sites resonate with what you put forward, simply because they can and control & power is everything and it can go to the head of some staff at some sites, prob all sites have a staffer or two that is power mad, and some sites have a lot of staffers that way due to the leadership from the very top.

Being a usenet junkie from the very early days, PS1 CDs, MS Office 97 on floppies, when norton commander on your PC was a must to unzipping Appz & Games in DOS, when FTP access to top sites was a privilege granted not bought, and we all talked on BBs & usenet text groups, it was obvious that a new medium was needed to spread from the few to the many. Along came P2P in it's many disguises, kazaa & limewire types etc, and BT was just what was needed, it is file sharing for the masses and should be so, however site owners have their rules just as FTP owners have their set of rules.

BT sites forums have taken over where BBs & usenet text groups once ruled supreme and it's just a matter of finding out which ones you prefer over others, just as some text groups didn't suit your taste you moved on to the next one, just as there are also some binary groups you ignore then there will be plenty of torrent sites you will pass over as the content is of no interest either. Finding the right balance of content & forums that suit your tastes is made harder by the strict entry rules enforced, which may make it seem as your OP suggested, but security of the site is prob the most overriding factor of the site owner, and as they mature then they can implement whatever rules they want, we may not agree with them, and if we strongly disagree that much - then we have the choice to leave that site & move on.

Life is all about choices, I still get most of my content from usenet (old habits die hard), I like the packs that most sites do, and I enjoy the banter in the forums, so I have a good mix but most don't like me as I do not grab 0day from them which is their lifeblood of torrents, so all of us have to find a happy medium one way or another, and learn to appreciate what each of us brings to the table.

You pays your many, you makes your choice, but above all enjoy the ride.

CPC464
04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
BCG

Signing up has been the best game i have played in a while,

pure madness

dunson
04-24-2008, 11:47 PM
BCG

Signing up has been the best game i have played in a while,

pure madness

After Sgt's very wise post, this is just too funny. :lol:

Most staffers and users are very nice to me and I like how trackers are kept safe by limiting entry. I think it is key to find some places you really like and just enjoy the content and community.

thedemon44
04-25-2008, 12:10 AM
The only place I find i am genuinly active in the forums is BCG, and I have no problem with any self-absorbed people. I suppose they exist, but i tend to not notice them, as thier opinions have little weight. Attitude goes a long way.

That said, i definitly prefer private trackers. The content is safe (100% for me so far), the quality is high, and if it isnt, its usually removed. Public trackers on the other hand... painful at best. So often i read the comments and people are telling you not to download the file because it contains a virus.

Makes me wonder if its done on purpose i see it so often. I would not be suprised if that were the case, because there do seem to be a lot of anti-p2p groups out there who dont care about being nice... they only want the cash they percive us of robbing them of. Yeah, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with my hard earned and what i feel to be very deserved private trackers.

Roark
04-25-2008, 12:59 AM
I disagree completely - the explosion of bt private trackers has made bt less exclusive than ever before. Scene axx has become so trivial to come by that even good 0day trackers can barely compete with new site after new site popping up offering nearly perpetual free leech. I still remember when the difference between a good tracker and a poor tracker was hours - days difference in pre's, and 100mbit vs 5-10mbit connection speeds. Now the gap has narrowed so much they're barely indistinguishable.

TheFoX
04-25-2008, 02:56 AM
I disagree completely - the explosion of bt private trackers has made bt less exclusive than ever before. Scene axx has become so trivial to come by that even good 0day trackers can barely compete with new site after new site popping up offering nearly perpetual free leech. I still remember when the difference between a good tracker and a poor tracker was hours - days difference in pre's, and 100mbit vs 5-10mbit connection speeds. Now the gap has narrowed so much they're barely indistinguishable.

I agree. These days, the decision of which trackers to use has nothing to do with 0day, pre-times or content, but rather which trackers are aesthetically pleasing to the eye. People will use the trackers they feel most at home with, and not the ones that can offer the best content/pre-time.

Just goes to show how trackers have evolved. No longer do we have the default stylesheet, as many places have numerous different skins to chose from.

(I)
04-25-2008, 05:20 AM

:lol:

BT users could just as easily produce content, even more so, as I suspect there are a LOT more BT users than scene participants. That being said, I thought it used to suck that we had to conform to scene rules, which are totally arbitrary. I'll take a constant quality encode over any 2 pass VBR any day of the week.

No dude it's a dream, how many BT users can crack a game or reverse engineer a ware, yeah perhaps burning DVD stuff is easy but some games needed ages to be cracked (as splinter cell), some never cracked (as Cossacks 2), so only reloaded, vitality, razor etc can do the job

Minuteman
04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't mind private trackers at all, there are way too many dorks out there who have no idea of what they're doing. What I do mind though, are those who believe they're some kind of elite or ubermench or whatever just because they are member or some 0-day site. All it takes is a bit of patience and some time to spare.

sear
04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
really it's just life. People in the BT world are worried about being busted or even having their nice little communities invaded by traders or collectors so they try and protect it. imo it's not BT turning into the scene it's just BT reflecting human nature. Humans migrate into tribes they don't like invaders so they work to protect themselves.

BT is still the p2p for the masses just look how popular the piratebay or mininova are. Most people in rl I know use that as there form of file sharing. It's just that when a community only has a few thousand members they feel like a family and they don't want that disrupted.

As for the scene well they has the goods that everyone wants so of course sites are going to up it. When people in BT can start getting movies shows and apps before they're released then well it will be a different interwbs.

The Flying Cow
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
When people in BT can start getting movies shows and apps before they're released then well it will be a different interwbs.

Heh I don't think so.

Some trackers have exclusive releases, but that's not the same as the scene release world.

The scene is like a machine. It is a bit like the matrix too, in that you never know where the heck they are. They are the true masters of disguise.

Nowadays it's much harder, since many ftp stops closed up shop, and napalm is a complete waste of time, so it's natural that people are flocking to the BT game at the truckload.

And yes I agree with everything else you said sear. Tribes. :lol:

colombianino
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
it really doesn't matter, thinking about it, it IS easier to just join a scene group rather than go through a lot of trouble just to be in a tracker and worry about your ratio.

but then again, the scene groups usually want to keep their stuff low if you know what i mean. if it were up to them, i think they'd make a special tracker only for their releases (im sure there's one by now).

and when you are a part of the site, you help many others.

just depends on how you see it...

TheFoX
04-30-2008, 02:33 AM
but then again, the scene groups usually want to keep their stuff low if you know what i mean. if it were up to them, i think they'd make a special tracker only for their releases (im sure there's one by now).

Ironic that you should say that, but there used to be a topsite tracker that could only be accessed by senior uploaders and admin from torrent sites.

This place was run as a mechanism to allow scene releases to filter to the 0day sites.

Sadly, it was shut down when the MPAA started hitting torrent sites early 2005, and has never been rekindled.

Since then, a splinter group called AntiP2P has made it their mandate to ensure that scene material doesn't filter through to torrent sites.

Ironic that the scene once were the big brother to P2P, but now appears to be distancing themselves from that same media transmission.

The Flying Cow
04-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Well it does add to causing trouble and busts, so you gotta also see their PoV..

Diva
05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
personally, looking at it from a safety point of view, its better to have a select few uploaders on priv sites than to allow all and sundry these rights, it allows a certain trust to be built between the sites users and the files they upload, reputation counts for a lot in this game, im not talking power trippers or anything im talking about reputation for uploading safe and quality files, thats what keeps ppl coming back for more, if you want to just download from anyone then you might as well use public trackers cos to me the safety aspect mounts to no more if anyone is allowed to upload, but thats just my opinion...plus the ppl who run and code these trackers put a lot of time into running these sites, so a good rep is very important to making the site work, how many ppl will return to a poorly run site with anyone and everyone uploading fakes, viruses etc, etc...