PDA

View Full Version : best UK ISP *for torrenting* ???

koolyt
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
-mods, please leave this in this category (nobody reads the internet section, and this has to do w/ torrenting). thanks!!

howdy. probably moving to the UK for a while in the near future. looks like Be Pro is the fastest and has unlimited usage, but are they torrent friendly? if not, does RC4 work? if not, what do u guys recommend?

punki_rach
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm on be pro. It's ok, nothing special really. Not sure I'd recommend it but I wouldn't not recommend it if you see what I mean. Although I've just seen in the waffles forum a topic about a be user getting a letter about illegal torrenting (from be) so maybe you shouldn't go for it. I don't know much about the alternatives though

mee2wo
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm on be pro. It's ok, nothing special really. Not sure I'd recommend it but I wouldn't not recommend it if you see what I mean. Although I've just seen in the waffles forum a topic about a be user getting a letter about illegal torrenting (from be) so maybe you shouldn't go for it. I don't know much about the alternatives though

Damm, l was about to switch to Be from bt.:(

DeadCell
04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Tiscali leave me alone but the upload is one of the worst i have ever seen at 20kbps on the 8 meg package, so a seedbox is a must on tiscali.

SgtMajor
04-24-2008, 08:48 PM

They only send a letter if they get told to from the suits, ie if an agency sends them an IP of someone they found torrenting.

If you protect yourself like you should do, BeThere will leave you alone. PG2, seeedbox, the more secure private sites all help to keep you off the radar, and BeThere have crazy limits before you even appear on the quantity download radar, something like 10TB per month! :D

I would recommend BeThere without hesitation.

sleepyy
04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Virgin media cable, BE internet.

KennyX
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I would recommend BeThere without hesitation.

Its Be for me as well. They piss on BT, Tiscali, and Bulldog for service and speed; these companies I have tried and regretted.

One problem you might have: check to see if you are in one of the spotty connection or blackspot areas before hand. One of them was in middle England, the other somewhere in central London (so I dont care!) and there were some complaints in the Be forum about this. I seem to remember that this was BT's fault and they were being very slow to repair things.

Dont use the BeBox though...

yayyyyyy
04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Ovh :o

SgtMajor
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Ovh :o

Eh?? :01:

KennyX
04-24-2008, 09:27 PM
lol, ovh is not a domestic ISP.

ghurka
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Virgin media cable, BE internet.Don't touch Virgin as they are capping big time. Loads of people I know who are torrenting are leaving them because of this....including me. I've recently moved to Sky and have had no problems at all. Consistent speeds with a connection of 8mbps/416kbps. On the 40gig d/l package for £5 a month but you can get unlimited for £10 a month.

xurbia
04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
If it originated from waffles are ip addresses being gathered from there?

04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Virgin media cable, BE internet.Don't touch Virgin as they are capping big time. Loads of people I know who are torrenting are leaving them because of this....including me. I've recently moved to Sky and have had no problems at all. Consistent speeds with a connection of 8mbps/416kbps. On the 40gig d/l package for £5 a month but you can get unlimited for £10 a month.

yeah Sky is pretty good, they do throttle p2p traffic though, tuning on Encription in uTorrent fixes this though! :naughty:

I'm gonna move to Talk Talk though cos there 8Meg broadbnd is FREE! (all you pay is line rental + calls - £16 per month - :w00t:)

Plus talk talk have been sticking up for filesharers:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12630

yayyyyyy
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
lol, ovh is not a domestic ISP.

you just need an ISP good for ftp...

ovh will do the rest :P

koolyt
04-25-2008, 02:31 AM
nah i don't need a seedbox yet

yes, i think i'll go with Be Pro then. thx for the info SgtMajor- i was worried about the clause in their acceptable use policy that said they can cut you off for "excessive network usage" or something. sounds like they're pretty friendly in that regard though. and ya i don't think i'll have issues with my IP turning up on anyone's radar. (except maybe if what.cd becomes a behemoth like oink hehe)

thx guys

_Darren_
04-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Go with virgin media then get a hacked modem...

Or several hacked modems... ;)

esco123
04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Go with virgin media then get a hacked modem...

Or several hacked modems... ;)

i was going to do this cuz i think virgin media are gna come out with 50meg speed soon, but i decided to stick with virgin and be legal.

ghurka
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
A hacked modem will not get around your line being throttled. If you're on say a 4 meg contract and your line is capable of 50 meg then you may be able to get the higher speeds at times when your line is not throttled, but that won't be very often.

Anyone considering Virgin should take a long hard look at their "traffic management" rules here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html. If you either download or upload too much at peak times you will be throttled.....and it will be much more than the 5 hours.

yayyyyyy
04-25-2008, 11:23 AM
And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the top 3% of uploaders and downloaders were using as much as 3GB, just during peak times.rotfl...

that's what they call an heavy user? lmao

don't go with them XD

PS: funny that they do not count the datatransfer done by the TV in that pool... damn bastards...

sleepyy
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Virgin media only cap your bandwidth temporarily from 16:00/21:00 if you go over the limits corresponding with your package. Each package has different user limits 20mb 3gig download 1250mb upload you are only capped if you go over those limits in that timeframe above and it's for 5 hours from the time you went over. So i think these limits are quite decent you still have 19 hours a day to max out your connection without any issues. The L package i did not notice how low the useage limits were untill now i suppose those that are on that price would move or just download outside of those hours.

Sky have problems with online gaming read around you will see the comments posted from the amount of complaints online i would assume it's common.

Be internet well I can't say anything negative about them besides random people have reported continuous connection drops and are forced to keep reseting their modems whether or not this issue has been addressed i don't know this is not from personal experience either.

EyezSS
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Right now i am using Sky and it is pretty good. BT aint bad either as i can tell from my past experience with them.

Just avoid Tiscali, worst isp when it comes to torrenting.

Blistered
04-25-2008, 10:36 PM
If you live in a good area for an ADSL exchange then you have a good choice (by this I don't just mean the city - I'm in London but still suffer from a terrible exchange position). If you don't, then 100% stick to fibre optic cable otherwise you are going to have a nightmare.

I was with BT on ADSL and as well as managing to provide me with dial up speeds at times (ridiculous as my exchange position is nowhere near that bad) they have the worst possible customer service. In my experience Pipex are horrendous too - horrible horrible service, organisation, workers and overall just a company gone to the dogs.

Tiscali are fairly solid with good speeds if you are near the exchange and a fairly pleasant customer service. I don't have many bad things to say about my time with them.

My fourth and hopefully final ISP at my current home is Virgin. I have to say that their cable service does exactly what it says on the tin. Great speeds, minimal downtime, and brilliant prices. Ideal for any torrent fan.

I found their customer service to be great also and I know what I'm paying each month with my package rather than getting surprise things turn up like with BT and Pipex.

My vote overall therefore has to go with Virgin, assuming of course the rumours regarding their potential summer collaboration with anti piracy agencies were just rumours (as they are currently publicly claiming. I hope it never happens as I'd be sad to have to find a new provider after finally finding a competent one!

_Darren_
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
A hacked modem will not get around your line being throttled. If you're on say a 4 meg contract and your line is capable of 50 meg then you may be able to get the higher speeds at times when your line is not throttled, but that won't be very often.

Anyone considering Virgin should take a long hard look at their "traffic management" rules here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html. If you either download or upload too much at peak times you will be throttled.....and it will be much more than the 5 hours.

When you hit the limit then you change the mac/config file ;)

stroj
04-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Dont go with Virgin.

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is “a load of bollocks” and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.
This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to. http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/

limpdickkid
04-28-2008, 03:22 AM
[quote=ghurka;2801347]

Be internet well I can't say anything negative about them besides random people have reported continuous connection drops and are forced to keep reseting their modems whether or not this issue has been addressed i don't know this is not from personal experience either.

I can confirm that. It happens to me atleast 2-3 times a day. Sometimes even modem restarts dont fix it. I'm forced to wait like an hour or two for the problem to rectify on its own. But I would still recommend it without hesitation. From what people have told me, BeThere seems to be the best so far. I guess the best thing about Be is that they never throttle bandwidth.

Yes, they do out letters but only if you use public trackers. My flat-mate got caught downloading a very low peer torrent of a 1995 movie, in HD, and we got an email about a month later telling us that this is our last warning. We've had nothing since as we are careful of not downloading anything from Public trackers except low risk stuff like obscure documentaries that cant be found on Private trackers.

munaaf
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I am on Be, it is quite good, i WOULD reccomend it but a friend of mine got caught and was sent a letter so its up to u

Ghostbusters
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Go for BT Business Broadband Option 2 - The residential packages from BT suck but the business connections are awesome...

sperm
04-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Go for BT Business Broadband Option 2 - The residential packages from BT suck but the business connections are awesome...

you are still subjected to the same fair usage policy :blink:

Ghostbusters
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
All UK ISP's have a FUP these days of course some are better than others (a lot start crewing with you after either 40 or 100gb download) BT Business Option 2 is throttled a little with regards to download speed between 5pm & 11pm but is unrestricted outside these hours and it is an unlimited package with regards to data transfer.

I have about 280Gb downloaded this month and it's still all good.

I'm a circuit administrator for BT Business and have wicked systems access at both UK exchange level and the internal BT Business systems which obviously brings it's own benefits.. :D

sperm
04-28-2008, 09:00 PM
All UK ISP's have a FUP these days of course some are better than others (a lot start crewing with you after either 40 or 100gb download) BT Business Option 2 is throttled a little with regards to download speed between 5pm & 11pm but is unrestricted outside these hours and it is an unlimited package with regards to data transfer.

I have about 280Gb downloaded this month and it's still all good.

I'm a circuit administrator for BT Business and have wicked systems access at both UK exchange level and the internal BT Business systems which obviously brings it's own benefits.. :D

bt business peak hours 5pm - 11pm? seems a bit backwards as you would think most business usage would be 9 - 6pm... typical bt :P

i'm on bb home option 3 and throttled down to 50 - 60 kB/s between 4pm - 12am then back upto 712kB/s... i'm making the most of my unlimited bandwidth :lol: and have downloaded 100GB (off-peak) in the last week :naughty: