PDA

View Full Version : Books...

opivykid
08-11-2003, 05:56 AM
Can anyone give me some books that they consider to be the greatest? This is more/less a "tell me your favorite book so i can read it" post, but whatever, im bored out of my skull, and reading something good doesnt seem like that bad of an idea... oh and please skip the harry poter and lord of the rings books, for i have seen many posts go to shit just because someone memtioned them. Thanks

:microsmile: = hahaha thats great

bob_the_alien
08-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Ok, some of my favorites are

Bruce Campbell - If chins could kill, Confessions of a B-Movie Actor.
Stephen King - All of the Dark Tower book, The Stand, & Hearts of Atlantis.

Brian Froud & Alan Lee - Faeries (Which is a history of Mythical beings, as told through legends of many different countries, Its half artwork, half written)

Anything by Alvin Toffler is good,
Arthur C. Clarke's - 3001: The Final Odyssey

And if your into Graphic Novels,
Kevin Smith, Phil Hester, & Ande Parks - Green Arrow: Quiver is a great read.
:ph34r:

bob_the_alien
08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Almost Forgot one of my all time favorites.

Frank Herbert's - DUNE.

and this includes all the DUNE books, up until after Frank Herbert died and his son started writing them, those kinda suck.

insanebassman
08-14-2003, 03:46 PM
All of Douglas Adams books
All Piers Anthony Books
Terry Goodkind books are pretty good
Edgar Allen Poe's library
Dante's poetry
Stephen King and Dean Koontz's Libraries
Kama Sutra For Dummies

Powdered Water
08-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Andrew Vachcss: The burke novels
Clive Cussler: The Dirk Pitt Novels
John Sandford : The Lucas Davenport novels
Robert Parker: The Spenser novels
Jeffrey Deaver: The lincoln Ryme Novel And other titles
John R. Maxim: The Bannerman Books and other titles
All of Tom Clancy's books
Stephen R. Donaldson: Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever series is great!
If you are looking for a challenge try Charles Dickens: David Copperfield one of the best books I've read

opivykid
08-15-2003, 03:25 AM
Nice thanks.

sweet4060
08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
:( You never mentioned the type of story you like to read: adventures, mysteries, drama, comedy, romance, etc.

My favorite author is and always will be : Robert Ludlum. He is no longer of this earth so......He writes fantastic spy stories.

Another author is Tess Gerritsen: she write great medical mysteries others are
Patricia Cornwel, Robin Cook,

Michael Crichton: Everyone has heard of him

Jeffery Archer: Mixed venue, but Not a Penny more, Not aPenny less was terrific, with a bit of humor on every page.
He also wrote Cain and Abel - terrific book

Love Stories include Daniele Steel her earlier books were better than the newer ones. Belva Plain. Another Favorite his Barbara Taylor Bradford. All her good

Hope this helped - enjoy reading no matter the format :D

imported_QuietSilence!
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@14 August 2003 - 04:34
Almost Forgot one of my all time favorites.

Frank Herbert's - DUNE.

and this includes all the DUNE books, up until after Frank Herbert died and his son started writing them, those kinda suck.
not his son its his son in law

herbets style is long and drawn out most will not like the books the first one is all right but as u get fether in too them they get vary boring and long winded

his son in law wrights under the name of brian herbert and is not vary good at all

sheeh what some peps do for money <_<

Damnatory
09-05-2003, 05:13 AM
If your into "fantasy" type stories, I would suggest anything written by Ursela K. LeGuin, she is the author of a series of books called the "Earthsea Saga", which depicts a young wizard named SparrowHawk(Ged) through his journey from a boy to the most powerful wizard of all of Earthsea.

She also has many other stories that are just as thrilling.
My personal favorite of hers is "The Left Hand of Darkness" which is a story about a man that travels lightyears to make an aliance with a distant planet that&#39;s inhabitants all have the ability to change their gender. It&#39;s really quite weird, but an amazing story as well.

Gemby!
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
well what type of book do you wanna read ?? i like romance :D
i do read these other books aswell though so tell me what ye likes and i will say

opivykid
09-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Most of the books that I&#39;d like to check out are more on the "original" side. The type of stuff that&#39;ll make you think, and f*ck with your head. I know thats extremely broad, but if you want some background, I consider the best movie to be Se7en, with Fight Club close by. Other movies would be like "A Clockwork Orange", "The Cube"(even with its terrible ending...), and many others. Hopefully this helps.

Wolfmight
09-20-2003, 09:23 PM
I&#39;m not much of a book reading addict, but i remember reading some book awhile back called Hatchet.. That book was soo good i read all the other sequals to it.. ;) :D

einstein1905
10-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and you won&#39;t be disappointed. It should mess with your mind just fine and is just plain great. Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky is another.....The Doors od Perception by Aldous Huxley is about his experiences on hallucinogenics and his beliefs that they should be more commonly used.

Smooch
10-02-2003, 12:10 AM
If you like horror:

Stephen King: The Stand
Richard Layman: Any of his book, there all good (although a lil bit gory)
James Herbert: Rats.. Lair... & Domain (3 seperate books), &#39;48
Dean Koontz is a good author too, as someone mentioned above

:)

blackhatknight
10-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Alvin Toffler as already mention but I&#39;d also point to his book The Third Wave, make you think, could make you start a revolution, lol

Embracer Of Darkness
10-07-2003, 01:01 AM
One of my all-time favourite books is "Midnight" by Dean Koontz. I&#39;d kill to see that in e-book format.

Monkeee
10-08-2003, 04:54 AM
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series ---- Funny adventure through space and time

uNz[i]
10-08-2003, 06:34 AM
If you like comic fantasy, you won&#39;t find better than Terry Pratchett&#39;s Discworld Series.

I also highly recommend anything by Robert Rankin, but try starting with his Armageddon Trilogy: Armageddon the musical, They came and ate us, The suburban book of the dead.
It&#39;s very funny stuff.

Smooch
10-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Embracer Of Darkness@7 October 2003 - 01:01
One of my all-time favourite books is "Midnight" by Dean Koontz. I&#39;d kill to see that in e-book format.
I have that this book in .txt format.... although its not very good (the format, not that book).

PM me if you want it :)

Lamsey
10-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Lindsey Davis&#39; series of books about the Roman informer Falco are fantastic. Gripping storylines, brilliant characterisation and occasionally side-splitting humour.

They are set in 1st-century Rome (and various parts of the Emipre), and the attention to historic detail is phenomenal - far from making the books boring, it enhances the atmosphere and feel of the books.

Give them a try; you can find out more at http://www.lindseydavis.com

Unfortunately, there doesn&#39;t seem to be a source for them in electronic format :(

Falconetti
10-13-2003, 12:20 PM
All time best and favorite is:

George Orwell`s: 1984

If you haven`t read it yet, go out and buy it&#33; You also mght run some searches on it to find out more about it.