PDA

View Full Version : How "Private" is Demonoid?

ghost716
04-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm really nervous to use Demanoid with how many users it has and how people without accounts can download stuff, is it really that safe of a "private" tracker?

TidusBlade
04-26-2008, 05:08 PM
If your using private trackers for safety, then probably stay away from Demonoid.
But I've never heard of a guy getting in trouble because of Demonoid, and theres way too many users anyways...

ghost716
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
So I would be safe grabbing a couple DVDR iso's off of Demanoid? Would I need an ip filter/ban list or should I not worry about that? I used to be so obsessed with safety and what not but now for my private trackers I dont even have an ip filter or anything (does PeerGuardian even work anymore?)

TidusBlade
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, PeerGuardian does maybe abit, but I think it's only for Paranoid people, if your afraid of getting caught then don't torrent.
But yeah you would be safe, I mean theres tens of millions downloading torrents, and only a few actually get caught, no reason to be scared, download all the DVDR ISO's you want :P

ghost716
04-26-2008, 05:21 PM
lol alright, nice curb your enthusiasm seasons 1-6 dvdrs here i come! :D

markupmaster
04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
This has been talked about many times..

Demonoid is more of a "Semi-Private" than a "Private" tracker...

:)

barral01
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I believe Demonoid is a semi-public tracker.

That1Guy
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
True, I think they even call themselves public. I remember when someone would call it private in their forum. There was always a group of people saying "Demonoid is not private".

Qlix
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd personally say Demonoid is pretty much public, hence why I don't use it.

dunson
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
The tracker is public, anyone can upload to the tracker. The site is private inasmuch as only registered members can access the majority of it. Hence, semi-private.

weenden
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
it could be more private especialy since any jibroni can print up any amount of invites to give

invite420
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
As private as Mininova

spidey99
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
demonoid is not that private, especially these days, but it has stuff that you can't find anywhere else.I never had trouble about it...

yacine911
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
demonoid is the best tracker ever it doesn't mater if his a privat or public i'm downloading from demonoid since 2004 i'v never had a problem and you can find any thing on it that you can't find them in the best privat tracker

Gish
04-29-2008, 04:58 PM
uploading on demanoid = letter from your ISP

VIZFX
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Demonoid is great, but definitely not private.

Alienviroment
04-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Demonoid (semi-private tracker, because of the invite system and because of sharing some torrents with the public trackers) have some stuff that you can't find on some high level trackers, but he lacks the speed, the seed and faster access to the new releases.

Example: Recently i wanted to watch all five sequels of the movie "The Prophecy" and only Demonoid had all of them. At this moment, Demoniod was tracker level 10 for me, because they had what i was looking for. I was looking for this sequels at so many high level trackers, but they just didn't had them all. The average download speed on Demonoid for these movies was about 20 kB/s, but eventually my goal was achieved.

I like Demonoid.

grimms
04-30-2008, 02:50 AM
It's public. Use to be more semi private about a 2 years ago. I would just use both Peer Guardian and IP Filter in uTorrent. You'll never be 100% safe though.

MM007
04-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I remember reading about people getting notes from their ISP's because of an HBO show that people got from Demonoid, but that was a TV rip of an episode. I can't imagine DVD rips of Curb to be much of a risk.

IntrepidVixen
05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, PeerGuardian does maybe abit, but I think it's only for Paranoid people, if your afraid of getting caught then don't torrent.
But yeah you would be safe, I mean theres tens of millions downloading torrents, and only a few actually get caught, no reason to be scared, download all the DVDR ISO's you want :P

LOL. Well strangely enough, overjoyed as I was when I saw Demoniod was back up...I got an email from my ISP about "evidence" of breach of copyright - for some lecture series in the audiobook section...the very first Demonoid torrent I downloaded since it upped again.

Sigh....that's despite peerguardian, encryption etc...back off to the private trackers for me!

dr jones
05-13-2008, 01:40 PM
stay away from it !!
many hackers in it
that why i heard

DjFresh
05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Demonoid is not that private.

SgtMajor
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM

Such profound pearls of wisdom you post, I look forward to more.

05-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Such profound pearls of wisdom you post, I look forward to more.

LOL :lol:

I used to use Demonoid all the time, it was fantastic for the rare stuff. Since it got busted I'm really paranoid about using it, there's probably no need to be but I just don't trust it anymore. :fear:

KSA
05-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Is this thread for real O.o

fisherman
05-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm a paranoid person :shifty:

But downloading from Demonoid is the least of my worries. As Nike say's "just do it".

SideShowBob
06-06-2009, 03:04 AM
It just has gr8 choice and the reviews are generally trustworthy. If your paranoid seed less controversial stuff to keep your ratio up.

Zaxx
06-06-2009, 03:19 AM
It's public. Use to be more semi private about a 2 years ago. I would just use both Peer Guardian and IP Filter in uTorrent. You'll never be 100% safe though.

For all intensive purposes grimms is right on the money. I wouldn't worry too much I've had a few DMCA letters from my ISP..no big deal. As long as your not the original seed of a pre-release leaked major movie or something. :happy:

TP635
06-06-2009, 03:28 AM
13-05-08, 11:49 PM - 0ne year old thread

Zaxx
06-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Arrrgh!! F*ck I hate that shit!! :frusty:

Well, I am fairly stoned so I have a partial excuse for missing that...:pinch:

n00bz0r
06-06-2009, 04:14 AM
It just has gr8 choice and the reviews are generally trustworthy. If your paranoid seed less controversial stuff to keep your ratio up.

great job.
Epic Bump indeed. :pinch:

Albo Da Kid
06-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Public enough to make you say "Oh shit..I knew I should have went after those High-level trackers" when the ISP warning letters come to your house

Benjamin
06-06-2009, 04:36 AM
You kidding? Demanoid is one of the most secure trackers out there, I always download all my files from Demanoid and off my home connection too. [/sarcasm]

Albo Da Kid
06-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Demanoid is not safe at all. That's not what a Riaa employee/ex torrenter was telling me the other day

Paracetamol
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM
all intensive purposes

All intents and purposes. If you can't bother to find out if the saying you're using is actually correct, then you ought not use it. Better yet, abandon language entirely and regress to pointing and grunting.

Sanka113
06-06-2009, 11:19 AM
It's virtually a public tracker but as long as you stay away from high profile stuff, ie. Cams or screeners of just released movies, you'll be find. I personally still like using demonoid to find movies and music that I can't find any else.

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The site may be semi-public, with all the security related problems that may (or may not) cause for the user, but one thing is for sure: The tracker itself, being hosted in Ukraine, is much safer than most of the so called "high level trackers".

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 12:03 PM
There be dragons!

http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/kungfu/world/world-usa2003.gif

peat moss
06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Half the stuff on there is tracked from h33t or Pirate Bay but still useful .

sez
06-06-2009, 01:30 PM
electricity in Ukraine?

NO WAY

You didn't have to now did you?

but demonoid isn't going to go away.That tracker has got a life of it own so to speak.
I don't think there is any other private tracker that can survive under the conditions that demonoid thrives in.Its almost inspiring :yes:
Its big,in essence ratioless,no minimum seed time,plenty of anti-piracy organisations lurk therein and there is no tracker support but inspite of all the above people still find it in them to share and share till when they can't(a torrent that i upped almost 2 years ago is still being seeded).

Guys still donate as much as there aren't any significant benefits that come with that(i once heard of someone gifting the tracker with $5000)so it just goes to show the calibre of people that this alleged BT "ghetto" harbors.

As a tracker i will agree that demonoid is barely perfect but for its members i give it an easy AAA.It has arguably some of the best torrenters in BT.

Wwwildthing
06-06-2009, 02:18 PM
266,089 torrents at this writing. I've personally posted over 200.

To understand 'the noid'... you have to be 'a noid'.

peat moss
06-06-2009, 02:32 PM
You can still give out invites too , anyone need one or five ? :happy:

Wwwildthing
06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Registrations are open as I write this.

peat moss
06-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Party pooper .:)

Wwwildthing
06-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Party pooper .:)

lol

patiesmiz
06-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Half the stuff on there is tracked from h33t or Pirate Bay but still useful .

Not exactly.

From a total of 334.988 torrents 47.449 ones are 'external' (non tracked by demonoid) and 287.626 are tracked by Demonoid, only.

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
266,089 torrents at this writing.

287.626 are tracked by Demonoid, only.

Wow, over 20.000 new torrents added in half an hour! :)

patiesmiz
06-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Just for clarification: I posted the number of total torrents (seeded and unseeded ones atm), that's why the numbers don't fit, I guess.

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I wasn't being serious patiesmiz, although you never know with Demonoid, it could happen, considering how much content that site actually has. :)

The bottom line is: Very few sites come close to Demonoid content wise.

Wwwildthing
06-06-2009, 03:11 PM
At the time that I was tracking it (about 3 months back)... Demonoid averaged 200 new torrents a day.

TP635
06-06-2009, 06:19 PM
My main source of cdg files is Demenoid; very difficult to find that kind of file in any private music trackers

cinephilia
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
My main source of cdg files is Demenoid; very difficult to find that kind of file in any private music trackers
and which do you prefer ? Demenoid, Demanoid or Demonoid ? :unsure:

TP635
06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
and which do you prefer ? Demenoid, Demanoid or Demonoid ? :unsure:

TPB, then Demenoid:yup:

Zaxx
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
all intensive purposes

All intents and purposes. If you can't bother to find out if the saying you're using is actually correct, then you ought not use it. Better yet, abandon language entirely and regress to pointing and grunting.

Excuse me, I didn't realize we were in class...oh, I know why, because we're NOT.:O Besides, I couldn't really give a shit if I got the saying wrong...seems I'm not as anal as yourself.

Do us a favor and go do your trolling bullshit on another forum. I'm sure someone, somewhere (if you looked really hard) would appreciate your finely honed language skills.
I'm not that person so you can fuck right off.

Have a nice day. :wank:

hmm...after checking out your post history, seems my intuition was right on...you are a pain in the ass!

Paracetamol
06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Excuse me, I didn't realize we were in class...oh, I know why, because we're NOT.:O Besides, I couldn't really give a shit if I got the saying wrong...seems I'm not as anal as yourself.

Do us a favor and go do your trolling bullshit on another forum. I'm sure someone, somewhere (if you looked really hard) would appreciate your finely honed language skills.
I'm not that person so you can fuck right off.

Have a nice day. :wank:

hmm...after checking out your post history, seems my intuition was right on...you are a pain in the ass!

I wasn't trolling. I just have little respect or use for people who can't even speak their native language correctly, you troglodyte. For your information, I prefer to fuck left off, so HA!

Zaxx
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
What ever man. Picking apart someones spelling and or phrase use is considered unnecessary and generally being a dick. If you don't like posts where people screw up with their use/choice of words on occasion then go find a language/grammar forum on some college site and spare us your company. This is a public forum not a term paper. :rolleyes:

UberN00b
06-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Demonoid is about as private as a $2 hooker is.

Paracetamol
06-07-2009, 01:15 AM
What ever man. Picking apart someones spelling and or phrase use is considered unnecessary and generally being a dick.

For the record, I've never denied that I'm a dick. You just happen to be my most recent target. Also, I spotted at least 6 errors in your most recent post in this thread :)

Zaxx
06-07-2009, 01:24 AM
For the record, I've never denied that I'm a dick.

Then it begs the question: Why? There's enuff dicks in this world as it is...:blink:
Why add to the problem? Nothing better to do? Sad...

colbert
06-07-2009, 03:55 AM
I like Demonoid. You can find stuff there not available anywhere else.

The_Martinator
06-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Demanoind?! I'd say it's very private. I've never heard of it, lol.

Seriously? Not very. the fact that invites are given publicly (filenetworks, etc) makes it even less private. But I agree, contntwise it's the best.

Zaxx
06-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Looks like this thread has turned into a demonoid fan club thread now that the OP's question has long since been answered. :whistling
TPB, Mininova, Demonoid...not much difference to me but then I rarely use public trackers unless I'm after something that can't be found on any private trackers...they are also the only ones I've ever received a DMCA notice for using. :pinch:

The_Martinator
06-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Looks like this thread has turned into a demonoid fan club thread now that the OP's question has long since been answered. :whistling
TPB, Mininova, Demonoid...not much difference to me but then I rarely use public trackers unless I'm after something that can't be found on any private trackers...they are also the only ones I've ever received a DMCA notice for using. :pinch:

Of course that's true. The security at D is non existant.

Albo Da Kid
06-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Yo Martinator, let's go to sleep...it's 4:46 already

I know you wanna, that's why you closed that thread

On topic: Demanoid is getting pretty famous. I bet if someone opened a tracker with that name, it would hit 2-3000 members on it's first week just because of this thread

shipwreck
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Security is relative, it doesn't exist on the net in principle. And like always, there are two sides of the coin. If you are a 'normal' user on Demonoid (and other semi-public or public sites even), not an uploader, heavy sharer, or anything else "high profile", chances of getting into real trouble are probably lower than on a lot of private sites, due to the sheer number of users.

The_Martinator
06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Yo Martinator, let's go to sleep...it's 4:46 already

I know you wanna, that's why you closed that thread

On topic: Demanoid is getting pretty famous. I bet if someone opened a tracker with that name, it would hit 2-3000 members on it's first week just because of this thread

Haha, you got me all figured out. :lol:

Exept my time zone that is, so you just pwned yourself. I closed it cause I heard that I was breaking their rules by mentioning them here.

Albo Da Kid
06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
whose rules.. cfs's? or cosanostra's and skittle's

I don't think cfs minds. Their user was throwing it's name around yesterday like it was a parade. I dont blame him though. all that "prevent fst from knowing about us" is lame anyway

I'm Hot
06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
looks like someone is pissed off lol

The_Martinator
06-07-2009, 05:09 PM
whose rules.. cfs's? or cosanostra's and skittle's

I don't think cfs minds. Their user was throwing it's name around yesterday like it was a parade. I dont blame him though. all that "prevent fst from knowing about us" is lame anyway

Everyone's rules. Even FST's. That's why I don't troll the trade section, allthough I don't agree with it being here in the first place.

I follow the rules and I get from sites what I want. Some call it hypocrisy, I call it good manners. there is a line I wouldn't cross, but till now noone has asked me anything remotely close to it.

A rule about not talking about a site at FST isn't hard to follow at all, imo. It is very easy to break, though. :naughty:

Zaxx
06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Security is relative, it doesn't exist on the net in principle. And like always, there are two sides of the coin. If you are a 'normal' user on Demonoid (and other semi-public or public sites even), not an uploader, heavy sharer, or anything else "high profile", chances of getting into real trouble are probably lower than on a lot of private sites, due to the sheer number of users.

I totally agree...it's a big sea with millions and millions of fish, they can't catch em all or even nearly enuff to make a difference... and they know it. So their top targets, amongst others, are the originating seeder(s) (and the related tracker(s) of pre-release leaks (i.e. workprints). Heh back in my u/ling days, I'd have been more the willing to seed anything EXCEPT a pre-release scr or WP, those leaks are pursued with a vengeance beyond imagination. i.e. When EliteTorrents pre-released The Phantom Menace way back. We all know what happened to that site..and the admin who seeded it from his own traceable seedbox (loacated in the US even..i think), not exactly the brightest idea. :pinch:
I'd be willing to bet that the MAFIAA already has a member or more on 90% of private trackers...the bigger ones for sure. Getting into popular, private sites is not exactly a difficult task for anyone with a brain. But even the largest of private trackers doesn't make as juicy of a target as the million member public sites. :whistling
I laughed soo hard when a writer at ************** started trippin' and did an entire article titled 'TorrentLeech compromised by the riaa' or something like that, all because he recieved a DMCA letter from his isp for a file he knows he d/led from TL. One might expect such a revolation from someone new to P2P...but not from a supposed P2P news hound.:rolleyes:

cravenmorehead
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I only found out about it today, so it must be pretty private!!

n00bz0r
06-08-2009, 11:01 AM

hell yeah.
It is definitely very private. It consists of a closed group of friends from MPIA RIAA and BREIN, and they love to share stuff for free. :happy:

TP635
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM

hell yeah.
It is definitely very private. It consists of a closed group of friends from MPIA RIAA and BREIN, and they love to share stuff for free. :happy:

You forgot the fbi:yup: