PDA

View Full Version : Help with seedbox

Gtb
04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Hello,
I have a hosting-ie seedbox, with fedora 6 and utorrent.

Yesterday i deleted some torrents and data, because i wanted to upload a big torrent.

Unfortunatelly the data are deleted, but the seedbox's HDD is still full!

Can someone help me, where to "search" for these files, in order to clean up the HDD?

Thank you in advance ;)

Ghostbusters
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Have you possibly rented a slot on a shared seedbox as oposed to a dedicated one for yourself, if you have then the drive space on the box is probably like the bandwidth shared between each user who rents a slot.

If your box works anything like the one I've got access to it will only let you modify / delete / view the data you have transferred to the box, otherwise people would just delete others data to free up drivespace & bandwidth whenever they felt like it.

If other people on the box don't delete their old data then things could start to get clogged up, if your using less than your allocated drive space and there's none left on the box then I'd get in touch with the hosting company and let them know by email or IRC is even better if they have a support channel.

fisherman
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Log in using Winscp or whatever FTP client your using and go to this folder and delete the files >> /root/.local/share/Trash

That should do the trick :)

dunson
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
How did you supposedly delete them? If you were trying to remove directories, you probably have to use rm -R and then the name of the whole directory. Linux won't tell you that the process has failed unless it can't find the directory (unless you use -verbose I think). I've found that when there are spaces or weird symbols you should just use the first word with a * at the end. Be careful with rm -R because it will remove everything if typed alone...

Gtb
04-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Have you possibly rented a slot on a shared seedbox as oposed to a dedicated one for yourself, if you have then the drive space on the box is probably like the bandwidth shared between each user who rents a slot.

The seedbox is dedicated, and not a shared one. I have full access on it, and up to yesterday i used to delete the files from the seedbox, by right clicking on the torrent, and delete data.

After that, i added a new torrent, and it appeared with error. I checked the empty space in the HDD and i saw that it was full.

Log in using Winscp or whatever FTP client your using and go to this folder and delete the files >> /root/.local/share/Trash

That should do the trick :)

I tried and deleted the files from there already, but still no good. the empty space is still 0!

Any other solutions?

SgtMajor
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Did you search your user /home directory?

barakokula
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Use the manual method...connect to a ftp client and right click on folders ->properties->size 'calculate' . See where it's at.

Gtb
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Did you search your user /home directory?

Nothing there too!

After i deleted the files from /root/.local/share/Trash folder, the HDD did not get empty! Strange (because the previous times it worked) but still nowhere to find them again

Use the manual method...connect to a ftp client and right click on folders ->properties->size 'calculate' . See where it's at.

If i right click and go on Properties in cute_ftp it only counts the files and subfolders, and not the HDD space.

Then i have to go in all the folders again and again. As you see, it's hundreds of subfolders to check, so it's a big possibility to "miss" something.

Raban
04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
cd /
du

fisherman
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Nearly always by default the files end up here >> /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/uTorrent, unless you tweak utorrent to store them elsewhere. So obviously make sure they're not in there.

In the trash folder there are 2 other folders, make sure they are empty.

Also make sure the /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent is clear of any crap.

Gtb
04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
cd /
du
This command gives a f*cking long list, where i can only see half, and the total at the end is the total of my HDD, so the files are somewhere there. Can i see it like dir/p in dos?

Nearly always by default the files end up here >> /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/uTorrent, unless you tweak utorrent to store them elsewhere. So obviously make sure they're not in there.

In the trash folder there are 2 other folders, make sure they are empty.

Also make sure the /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent is clear of any crap.

I had changed the folder to c:\asd so i could find everything easy.

The files where not there, but i found them in the trash folder. I deleted the "files" and the "info", but the HDD is still full!

Raban
04-28-2008, 09:00 PM
cd /
du | less

weenden
04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
lol thx im deleting stuff now doooh!

Gtb
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
cd /
du | less

Thanks Raban!

That way i was able to find the folder that had the "lost" files

Finally it was a HUGE error.log file of 140 GB

Now everything is back to normal!

Thanks everyone for the help! :fst:

TechnoMan80
05-06-2008, 05:11 AM
what OS are you using ?

zyduuu666
05-06-2008, 05:19 AM
LoL 140GB i have to check this file more often :)

cd /
du | less

Thanks Raban!

Raban
05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
how the hell do you get a 140 gig error log i never heard of that

TechnoMan80
05-07-2008, 04:44 AM
yeah, logs...

I'm getting 3-10 GB some times

chamaeleo
05-07-2008, 05:03 AM
cd /
du | less

Thanks Raban!

Q: is there a way to perform a search on error logs, my disk space doesn't correspond with what space should be left as well..

madbeer
05-08-2008, 02:16 AM
this will help you hunt down big directories/files:

du -sk .[A-z]* *|sort -rn |less

Q: is there a way to perform a search on error logs, my disk space doesn't correspond with what space should be left as well..

if you can be more specific i can help you.

TechnoMan80
05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
find / -name '*.log'
or
find / -name '*log'

that normally must find all log files no matter error or any other,
some times log rotate on the server s enabled and normal logs can be over 2-3 GB