PDA

View Full Version : The acceptable face of racism - Apparently

JPaul
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYNDWKdKBLU&feature=related

chalice
04-30-2008, 11:16 AM
JP, you've gotta download the podcast from this morning's Stephen Nolan show on Radio Ulster.

The Boruc debacle is raging over here. Fuck me, there's some right cunts over here when it comes to Scottish puntsphere.

100%
04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Description of video from my view

shaky cam
football stadium
supporters chanting
"uhohoowow aowohoa waaooo howhg a ouou wwhoaoo uoaaw"

racism?

JPaul
04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
JP, you've gotta download the podcast from this morning's Stephen Nolan show on Radio Ulster.

The Boruc debacle is raging over here. Fuck me, there's some right cunts over here when it comes to Scottish puntsphere.

I don't even understand what the debate is. Marvin Andrew, a rangers player, regularly wore t-shirts in support of his faith (non-Catholic). Not only was he not vilified for it, he was actually put forward as a good example. You see these "Jesus Loves You" t-shirts on players or the John 3:16 at football grounds all over the World. Or people blessing themselves as they walk onto the park, score a goal, win a game, whatever. Fuck sake Ronaldinho must do it about a dozen times a game. Watch Spanish football and it hapens all the time. It's very common in English football as well, as more foreign players are in their game.

A Polish Catholic wears a t-shirt saying "God Bless The Pope", with a picture of the former Pope (from Poland), it's well recorded that Boruc thinks he was wonderful, and we get all of this.

What has he done wrong. Someone tell me that. If the answer is that it incites people, then it's the people who are being incited we should be looking at. Not him. It's their attitude because it's nothing more than anti-Catholic bigotry.

JPaul
04-30-2008, 11:33 AM

shaky cam
football stadium
supporters chanting

racism?

Sorry you can't make it out.

The chant is "Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, the famine's over, why don't you go home"

It's referring to the Irish potato blight, which led to a famine in which about a million people died of starvation. Many more had to leave their homeland in order to survive. Some of whom came to Scotland. I think anyone can see the racism and insensitivity in that.

chalice
04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
There was so Irish famine.

It says so on Derry's walls. True story.

There were plenty of spuds to go around. The proles just didn't get any.

J-dye
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
luck of the irish :dabs:

JPaul
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8438/cid015c01c8aa49fa8b0b10dq1.jpg

chalice
04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
As John Lennon famously said...

If you had the luck of the Irish, you'd be sorry and wish you were dead.

Detale
04-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Well Im American Irish and I think this is some bull5hit. I have a good friend who just got here from Carrigmore around a year ago and he went after some guy for wearing a rangers jersey while we were working together, I asked him about it and he went on and on about the English and how it's pretty much his duty to fuck one of them up if he can. So although we Americans may not see it as that big a deal apparently its a serious thing other places. Things like this don't make the American media and I think it's a shame that America helps out many places ,but doesn't really do much for the Irish. And where is Bono he's off helping the African nations but he fails at helping his own, sorry just a rant

chalice
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Well Im American Irish and I think this is some bull5hit. I have a good friend who just got here from Carrigmore around a year ago and he went after some guy for wearing a rangers jersey while we were working together, I asked him about it and he went on and on about the English and how it's pretty much his duty to fuck one of them up if he can. So although we Americans may not see it as that big a deal apparently its a serious thing other places. Things like this don't make the American media and I think it's a shame that America helps out many places ,but doesn't really do much for the Irish. And where is Bono he's off helping the African nations but he fails at helping his own, sorry just a rant

That guy was a fucking prick. There's a lot of it about. I know plenty of Celtic fans who don't feel the need to bash huns.

Duty my bollocks.

Oh, and Bono is a prick too.

And I can't express enough how much bollocks you're talkiing. If you know fuck all about it, stfu.

JPaul
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

What the fuck are you talking about. There's so much nonsense in that post it's got to be a joke. It is, it's a joke, isn't it.

chalice
04-30-2008, 09:24 PM
And who the fuck asked for America's help?

Contrary to popular belief, we're actually a developed Western country.

I'm suppressing a rant to the max.

Detale
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow seems I have a "fan" club now eh, OK fine. J you can kiss my shiny ass, What exactly do you find funny? Perhaps you should specify when breaking my balls, otherwise it makes you look simple ( which I know you are not)

@Chalice. Well IMHO I feel the English shouldn't still be in Ireland as do many many of the Irish nationals I work with here in NYC. I think the USA could at least offer help for getting them out thats all bro. I happen to know that it is a quite well developed, my comment was more about the English than anything else really I didn't mean to offend, perhaps you could enlighten me a bit then? All I'v learned about the conflict is what I have heard from the Irish boys here, Whats your background/stance on it maybe I can learn something.

Also why is it you are being so seemingly hostile? I mean JP eh he's a dick but I have done nothing to you, have I?

chalice
04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Detale, I'm tired and I'm going to bed. I'll elaborate in the morning.

I will say this though...the English aren't in Ireland anymore. Northern Ireland hasn't been occupied for quite some time. The English have wanted to be out of the conflict for the last 25 years. They just couldn't withdraw with the state of play as it was. We now have political autonomy.

How could the USA help? Money? We've got that. Peace-keeping occupation? LOL No thanks- we've had that too. Patronising platitudes? We've got those coming out of our ears.

My background? I'm a lapsed catholic from the Falls Road in Belfast.

As I say, tired, bed, more tomorrow.

Detale
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Have a good night, I mean it. I appreciate your writing. Of course not an occupation but the US could put pressure on the UK to GTFO. I'm not claiming to have a simple solution at all. Honestly you are the first person who I have spoken with to have these views it's refreshing really. Is this the way you feel most there think or are you in the minority because honestly this is not the picture that was painted for me by other Irish here in NYC.

Also: Lapsed Catholics rock!

Proper Bo
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
:lol:

100%
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM

shaky cam
football stadium
supporters chanting

racism?

Sorry you can't make it out.

The chant is "Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, the famine's over, why don't you go home"

It's referring to the Irish potato blight, which led to a famine in which about a million people died of starvation. Many more had to leave their homeland in order to survive. Some of whom came to Scotland. I think anyone can see the racism and insensitivity in that.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain.

The dutch supporters occasionally sing as song when they play against germans.
it goes something like
"Give me back my bicycle"
based on the fact that the nazi's took most of the dutch bikes during the war and melted them for weapons.
In 1994, a german artist gave back a few bicycles. (which he found n the streets of amsterdam) and gave them to the queen on her birthday.
so all taboes are fixed
He solved the inherent problem with this gift...

Smith
05-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I dont get it, must be a European thing. :dabs:

J-dye
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
@Chalice. Well IMHO I feel the English shouldn't still be in Ireland as do many many of the Irish nationals

and jews should be in afghanistan . that would be more fun :01:

JPaul
05-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Also why is it you are being so seemingly hostile? I mean JP eh he's a dick but I have done nothing to you, have I?

You were talking so much shite I assumed it was a joke in bad taste. If you were serious then you are simply an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.

What have the English got to do with Northern Ireland. They are both part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The English are no more occupying Northern Ireland than they are Scotland or Wales. Likewise the Scots aren't occupying England or Wales or Northern Ireland and so on.

What does any of this have to do with the Americans. It's got to do with the people of the United Kingdom, who have decided on varying degrees of devolution from the Westminster parliament. It was the people of the different parts of the UK who voted on this for themselves. It's also an ongoing process.

The Scots are the best off just now. Scottish MPs get to vote on everything in Westminster. Whereas no English people have any say on how the devolved issues (mainly health, education and law & order)are dealt with in Scotland. I think that's wrong when it comes to issues which will effect only England and I think England should have some power itself. If anything the English are currently the least self-determining.

chalice
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I suppose the problem is that Detale's been listening to too much bravado from the Irish Ex-Pats he's been working with in New York. Some of us have a bad habit of selecting interesting hyperbole when abroad. They see the genuine fascination in folk and exploit it. Whether its to garner sympathy, respect, fear, whatever. I've seen it done.

I went to New York a couple of years ago and did what I do in Ireland. That is, get really drunk in Irish pubs. Some of the conversations I had were surreal to say the least. One such centred around me having to draw water from the bottom of a well in my garden to bathe in. I convinced this guy that I had to pour half of the water out in tribute so that the Leprechauns wouldn't get offended and steal my first born child. He believed it.

JPaul
05-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Yes but how do we get from a rangers top to an Irishman having to give an Englishman a kicking. Their support would traditionally come from Scotland, primarily the west, or Ireland, primarily the north.

chalice
05-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Quite right.

To say nothing of Bono- who is Southern in any case.

It is widely believed by Northern Republicans that Southerners couldn't give two fucks about the situation in the North. This is propounded by the fact that Eire has relinquished her constitutional claim on Ulster.

They are wealthy and so, politically uncontentious. In the North (amongst the Nationalist community, at least) it is a bitter stain on the Republic that they sold us out to suffer at the hands of Loyalists.

JPaul
05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I think it was generally accepted that the truce could not go ahead without that constitutional reform. It basically forced certain hands.

"Right, that's your biggest objection. It's not there any more. What now".

Sometimes shit has to happen so you can grow roses. It appears to an outsider that your economy is coming on great guns (pun intended). I certainly see regeneration when I visit.

Detale
05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
@ Chalice I suppose that is, as I said, the only real info I have gotten from people here so I guess I'm a bit more ignorant on the subject than I thought, Apologies, I will continue to ask others and get future opinions though for my own info.Thanks again man

@ JP dude,you seem to know a bit about this again your problem with me, whatever is it, overshadows any valid points you have. Its a shame really, you seem like a pretty smart guy but you also seem to attack me whenever I post in "your" section. I hope you don't think this will deter future posts in the lounge because it most certainly will not. You told me off, I told you off now lets stop the bullshit OK? I call for a truce how bout that?

chalice
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
@ Chalice I suppose that is, as I said, the only real info I have gotten from people here so I guess I'm a bit more ignorant on the subject than I thought, Apologies, I will continue to ask others and get future opinions though for my own info.Thanks again man

My pleasure.

To be perfectly honest, it's nice to be able to speak with authority about a subject I can't help but know about.

Makes a change from the inept pish I'm used to spouting on here.

Detale
05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
1 last thing where do I know your nick from?? Do you Staff somewhere else??

chalice
05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
The only thing I staff is my kids.

You'd have to be a fucking nut to let me run a board. LOL.

JPaul
05-02-2008, 11:04 AM
@ JP dude,you seem to know a bit about this again your problem with me, whatever is it, overshadows any valid points you have. Its a shame really, you seem like a pretty smart guy but you also seem to attack me whenever I post in "your" section. I hope you don't think this will deter future posts in the lounge because it most certainly will not. You told me off, I told you off now lets stop the bullshit OK? I call for a truce how bout that?

I don't have any problem with you, I don't even know you. I've read your posts on the internet and if they are anything to go by you are an ignorant and rude person, who defends it by saying "I was only joking, it's everyone else who misunderstands me". I do have a problem when you post shite about things you clearly know little or nothing about.

Post wherever you want it's none of my business, I certainly don't consider any part of a public forum to be mine, that's coming from your own wee head. For the most part I will ignore your drivel, if it gets too tedious I will simply ignore you. However when you post shite I will highlight it as such, if I care enough about the subject obviously.

I have never "told you off", you certainly haven't done the same to me. Grow the fuck up, we're not 13. Well I amn't.

"I call for a truce how bout that?" :lol::earl: Is it your ambition to make yourself look a total prat. If so you have succeeded. It's to your credit. There's no need for a "truce", just stop attacking people and posting nonsense.

Detale
05-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Wow well that didn't go well did it? Again you attack me. In fairness I know I sometimes will come off as rude but that is just the way I joke around. I know you don't know me but it seems most everytime I post here you have some smart ass comment for me. Funny you tell me to grow up when your post has very little content and is mostly insults. Some news: We are ALL ignorant about something as I'm sure if I search your post history I could find something to call you out on as well. I would love for you to show me where I attacked someone without being attacked first, I dare you.

What does Prat mean?

Dude I stick my hand out in friendship and you slap it away, if that is any indication of who you are, then you're an asshole and I feel bad for you.

JPaul
05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow well that didn't go well did it? Again you attack me. In fairness I know I sometimes will come off as rude but that is just the way I joke around. I know you don't know me but it seems most everytime I post here you have some smart ass comment for me. Funny you tell me to grow up when your post has very little content and is mostly insults. Some news: We are ALL ignorant about something as I'm sure if I search your post history I could find something to call you out on as well. I would love for you to show me where I attacked someone without being attacked first, I dare you.

What does Prat mean?

Dude I stick my hand out in friendship and you slap it away, if that is any indication of who you are, then you're an asshole and I feel bad for you.

Fuck off and die, soon.

SgtMajor
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Dear me, just goes to show ignorance is surely not bliss.

Detale
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM

What does Prat mean?

Fuck off and die, soon.

Wow what a comeback, did you think that up all on your own? What was that about you not being 13?? Surely man I wish you all the best :D

Skweeky
05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
On a completely different, yet similar note;

I think I have met the biggest idiot in Scotland.

My husband ( protestant and Rangers fan) went with our neighbour( an atheist and a Celtic fan) to our neighbour's daughter's house a few weeks ago to watch the Old Firm game ( for those who don't know, it's when Celtic plays Rangers).

The daughter's boyfriend came out with the following gem:

'Ah wouldnae support Celtic if it wasnae fur the bigotry. Ah mean, that's half the fun innit? Getting to boot those dirty proddy bastards?'

:huh:

100%
05-06-2008, 07:07 PM

I really love the title of this thread. Jpaul did you make that up on the spot like or is it standard inglo saying?

Ludvig
05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
The dutch supporters occasionally sing as song when they play against germans.
it goes something like
"Give me back my bicycle"
based on the fact that the nazi's took most of the dutch bikes during the war and melted them for weapons.
In 1994, a german artist gave back a few bicycles. (which he found n the streets of amsterdam) and gave them to the queen on her birthday.
so all taboes are fixed
He solved the inherent problem with this gift...

:lol:

Is this true,100 % ?
Thatt would make one beautiful movie anyways !

JPaul
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

I think I have met the biggest idiot in Scotland.

My husband ( protestant and Rangers fan) went with our neighbour( an atheist and a Celtic fan) to our neighbour's daughter's house a few weeks ago to watch the Old Firm game ( for those who don't know, it's when Celtic plays Rangers).

The daughter's boyfriend came out with the following gem:

'Ah wouldnae support Celtic if it wasnae fur the bigotry. Ah mean, that's half the fun innit? Getting to boot those dirty proddy bastards?'

:huh:

Idiots on both sides unfortunately.

Bloke I know who's a season ticket holder at Paradise says there's loads of them who go and he wouldn't mind if they never came back. The type who boo their own team, come away with the political nonsense, that type of thing.

JPaul
05-06-2008, 07:25 PM

I really love the title of this thread. Jpaul did you make that up on the spot like or is it standard inglo saying?

I don't know what "inglo" means, mate. However I did make it up "on the spot", I was doing that irony thing. I knew the Americans wouldn't understand what was going on anyway so I thought it would be OK.