The Flying Cow
05-05-2008, 12:58 AM
The Eastern Hemisphere in 400:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/East-Hem_400ad.jpg

Europe in 400:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Europa400AD.JPG

By Place

Western Roman Empire
Italy is first invaded by Alaric (probable date).
The Vandals start their westward trek from Dacia and Hungary (approximate date).

Europe
The Franks establish themselves in Northern Holland.
While taking refuge along the Danube, Gainas and his Goths are attacked by the Huns, who kill him and his army. Gainas' head is sent as a gift to Constantinople by the Hun chieftain Uldin.

Africa
Construction at Great Zimbabwe begins (approximate date).

Asia
Chrysanthemums are introduced to Japan (approximate date).

By Topic

Religion
The mausoleum of Galerius in Salonica is converted into a church.

Births
Hydatius, bishop of Chaves
Salvian, Christian writer (approximate date)

Deaths
Empress Duan
Empress Dowager Li Lingrong
Lü Guang
Lü Shao

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400"

Biggles
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice maps

IdolEyes787
05-05-2008, 05:56 PM
There were whole areas of land populated only by people named Alan.:O
Must have been terribly confusing.

Especially for the men.

JPaul
05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
How the fuck can the World have an Eastern Hemisphere, it spins on it's axis.

There's a Northern Hemisphere and a Southern Hemisphere.

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
How the fuck can the World have an Eastern Hemisphere

it all starts when a mummy hemisphere and a daddy hemisphere love each other very much :hug:

IdolEyes787
05-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Hemisphere- half of a sphere.
It has North ,South ,East and West halves of course.
But I liked Mulder's answer better.

JPaul
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM

How can it have an East and West half if it's spinning, that's mad talk. It can have a North and South because those halves are constant.

IdolEyes787
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Don't blame me.I'm just a mindless drone who follows the masses.
East/West are divided at the Prime Meridian and the International Date Line.
And true it's a bit arbitrary.

JPaul
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
It's totally arbitrary and meaningless.

Oh and I'm blaming you. Always blame the messenger, as the old adage goes.

tesco
05-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Don't forget, the earth was flat back then. :dabs:

clocker
05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
So it had quadrants back then.

JPaul
05-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't forget, the earth was flat back then. :dabs:

Very few people ever thought that.

Think about it, how could shipping navigate being so wrong about the fundamental nature of the Earth.

It makes no sence.

tesco
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I amy be wrong but I thoguht they always travelled around the midle bit between australia, europe, asia, etc. and never went outward (whic from each side would make them hit america) :unsure:
That woudl explan it but I could be completely wrong. :lol:

Detale
05-05-2008, 11:37 PM

How can it have an East and West half if it's spinning, that's mad talk. It can have a North and South because those halves are constant.

Weather or not they are infact truly east, west, north, south that is what they have been named, by whom I have no idea, but it is a popular reference that we all know, not that hard really

IdolEyes787
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I amy be wrong but I thoguht they always travelled around the midle bit between australia, europe, asia, etc. and never went outward (whic from each side would make them hit america) :unsure:
That woudl explan it but I could be completely wrong. :lol:

The earliest claim for the round shape of the Earth came from Pythagoras. It was reported that Pythagoras reasoned from the perpetual round shape of lunar eclipses that the Earth could neither be flat nor cylindrical, but only spherical.
Aristotle proved that the Earth was round. There are several arguments but the best is the ship coming into the harbor one. As a ship appears on the horizon, an observer first sees that top of the ship's mast and then later the deck. It is as if the ship is coming over a hill. Hence the Earth is shaped like a hill. Since this phenomenon is true in every harbor that the Greek sailors visited, the Earth must be everywhere hill-like or round.
Only the truly uneducated ever believed that the earth was flat and certainly no sailors whose lives and livelihoods depended on being able to navigate.

Detale
05-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Damn IE Thats good, did you know that or Google it? I'm still impressed either way

IdolEyes787
05-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks Detale .
I cannot lie,I didn't write it all. Plaguery is a old and trusted friend.
I can only take responsibility for the intelligent parts.:rolleyes:

markupmaster
05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Interesting...

:D

JPaul
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Weather or not they are infact truly east, west, north, south that is what they have been named, by whom I have no idea, but it is a popular reference that we all know, not that hard really

What on Earth does "Weather or not.." mean. Of course there's weather.

What's hard is that Northern and Southern hemispheres are self-evident because they are constant. However as the Earth spins on a North/South axis then there is no such thing as Eastern and Western hemispheres as they are constantly changing, making it a totally arbitrary thing. Obviously I understand the convention but that doesn't make it any more sensible.

I think everyone else can see that, your ridiculous weather reference kind of explains why you wouldn't.

tesco
05-06-2008, 10:51 PM

I think everyone else can see that, your ridiculous weather reference kind of explains why you wouldn't.
:lol:

WarrenBuffet
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Who makes ur sigs Rossco? They're rather good.

tesco
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't have a sig. :unsure:

Avatar? They're always pics found on the net that I crop and make transparent. :unsure:

Detale
05-07-2008, 02:33 AM

What's hard is that Northern and Southern hemispheres are self-evident because they are constant. However as the Earth spins on a North/South axis then there is no such thing as Eastern and Western hemispheres as they are constantly changing, making it a totally arbitrary thing. Obviously I understand the convention but that doesn't make it any more sensible.

Well since you have a hard time following, "weather or not" is merely pointing out how irrelevant your argument really is. hemisphere by definition is half of a sphere, as I know you know. You are not stupid that much is evident, but your argument here seems almost childish, yes we are all aware that earth spins on an axis blah blah but and shit I even agree the term itself doesn't really make much sense but c'mon it's just a phrase to reference by, if you in fact don't use the term what do you say when referring to what the rest of us call the eastern and western hemispheres.

Proper Bo
05-07-2008, 02:58 AM

Well since you have a hard time following, "weather or not" is merely pointing out how irrelevant your argument really is. hemisphere by definition is half of a sphere, as I know you know. You are not stupid that much is evident, but your argument here seems almost childish, yes we are all aware that earth spins on an axis blah blah but and shit I even agree the term itself doesn't really make much sense but c'mon it's just a phrase to reference by, if you in fact don't use the term what do you say when referring to what the rest of us call the eastern and western hemispheres.

You mean "whether or not", shirley.

IdolEyes787
05-07-2008, 03:32 AM
I think it's intentionally misspelled to subtlety underline a point Detale's making.
Or maybe he's just stupid.:unsure:

JPaul
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I think it's intentionally misspelled to subtlety underline a point Detale's making.
Or maybe he's just stupid.:unsure:

You can never take these things in isolation and must also take into account the other evidence available, before making a considered judgement.

He's just stupid.

JPaul
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm taking your "...subtlety underline..." as a typo btw.

It doesn't really work to subtly underline your point. However you're plainly not just stupid. In fact you're probably considered quite the brain in Canadia.

Snee
05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
h4r5h.

IdolEyes787
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM

It doesn't really work to subtly underline your point. However you're plainly not just stupid. In fact you're probably considered quite the brain in Canada

Unfortunate choice of words and point taken.
However we do have the finest police force in the world.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/31946a.jpg

JPaul
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM

It doesn't really work to subtly underline your point. However you're plainly not just stupid. In fact you're probably considered quite the brain in Canada

Unfortunate choice of words and point taken.
However we do have the finest police force in the world.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/31946a.jpg

Indeed capt_asda proved that with the "arm snapped like a twig" incident. It's awesome how much they achieved in like a day.

On a serious note I have had dealings with RCMP on several occasions and have found them to be nothing less than fan-tastic to deal with.

tesco
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
wtf is an rcmp?

Snee
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
rainy condom master pants, obviously.

tesco
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
right right right.

trackrider
05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
rainy condom master pants, obviously.

A what? :blink:

Detale
05-08-2008, 05:33 AM

Roit, honestly Although I am not stupid as JP said, I can't spell for 5hit. With the FireFox spell checker thing it came up as a suggestion so I just clicked it. Thanks Bo

JPaul
05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
wtf is an rcmp?

Fuck sake Ross, I thought you were from Canadia.

JPaul
05-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Roit, honestly Although I am not stupid as JP said, I can't spell for 5hit. With the FireFox spell checker thing it came up as a suggestion so I just clicked it. Thanks Bo

No-one said how stupid you were.

Snee
05-08-2008, 09:09 PM
He read between the lines. Stupid like a fox :sly:

JPaul
05-08-2008, 09:27 PM
You have to be quite clever to achieve that degree of stupidity.

So I doubt that's the case.

Detale
05-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Alright dude enough now, why are you being such a dick? I keep trying to be nice and you keep being an a55hole, have you nothing going on better in your life but to keep trying to put me down? I sincerely doubt you would repeatedly say such things if we ever met in person so stop being a fucking child about every little thing and grow the fuck up, seriously man turn the page here. Shit even Bo who seemingly hated me had a civil comment for me without stooping to your level, if you were a bit more clever than it would even be funny but this is just pathetic

Biggles
05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
:emorod:

Departing from the barrel for a moment could I direct people to Eratosthenes a Greek scientist who lived in Alexandria around 200BC. He not only surmised the world was round but accurately calculated its circumference using markers in the ground to measure length of shadows at mid-day at two fixed points a few hundred miles apart. Clever chap.

IdolEyes787
05-09-2008, 01:53 PM
:emorod:

Departing from the barrel for a moment could I direct people to Eratosthenes a Greek scientist who lived in Alexandria around 200BC. He not only surmised the world was round but accurately calculated its circumference using markers in the ground to measure length of shadows at mid-day at two fixed points a few hundred miles apart. Clever chap.

"His contemporaries nicknamed him "beta" (Greek for "number two") ":lol:

Alright dude enough now, why are you being such a dick? I keep trying to be nice and you keep being an a55hole, have you nothing going on better in your life but to keep trying to put me down? I sincerely doubt you would repeatedly say such things if we ever met in person so stop being a fucking child about every little thing and grow the fuck up, seriously man turn the page here. Shit even Bo who seemingly hated me had a civil comment for me without stooping to your level, if you were a bit more clever than it would even be funny but this is just pathetic

Detale I felt the same way about JP at one time but I found that I was misjudging him.I won't presume to speak for him but in my opinion I think it's all done in good fun.
The British sensibility of what is appropriate appears to be quite different from yours or mine(if movies have taught me anything it's that they're all terribly screwed up by being tormented by older students in private schools) so if I was you I wouldn't be holding my breathe waiting for an apology.
I can only add that I for one think that you deserve nothing but respect.

JPaul
05-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Which part of this is difficult. I think you're a prick and I really don't like you. Therefore I will ignore you most of the time.

However if you talk shite then I will point it out. Shite constitutes things like.

"Here's a picture of my newly born child, isn't he great oh and you're all fucking cunts."

"The Americans should help out in Ireland and get the English out."

Stuff like that. Don't take it personally tho' anyone else who talks that level of shite would get it too. It's just that other folk tend not to.

Oh and I can assure you I would also let you know in real life, however the chances of us mixing in the same circles are slim to none.

JPaul
05-09-2008, 06:46 PM
... so if I was you I wouldn't be holding my breathe waiting for an apology.

I'm intrigued, an apology for what exactly.

Detale
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm not asking for any kind of apology there's none needed. Actually I kind of lost it a bit in my last post sorry, had a bad day.

JP I freaking wish you would ignore me most of the time but almost every time I post there you are being a dick as usual. Again you act like you're 12 saying "I don't like you" yeah like I give a fuck. Also it was a girl and I said "Fuck the Lounge" thats my sense of humor that seemingly some people got,I tried to make amends and apologized if I offended anyone, but you somehow hold a grudge for it? As far as the USA "helping" Ireland Chalice was kind enough to correct me and give me a different point of view that I haven't yet heard, I again apologized for my unintentional ignorance, again you hold a grudge for that too. Wow dude put the keyboard down and step away from the computer, no wait I changed my mind, I want to thank you for being there to police Shit talking in the lounge really thank god you're here. What would gen pop do without you. matter of fact I'm gonna start the Church of JP

On a lighter side note JP I Just realized something I'm starting to like arguing with you. I have no dislike for you but I find myself laughing when I try and think of shit to say to you. I honestly can't tell if you get when I am joking or not so from now on keep in mind 99% of what I say is in a joking manner on that note Fuck You Jerkoff :)

J-dye
05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.mediotiempo.com/images/galerias/510_10.jpg

JPaul
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm not asking for any kind of apology there's none needed. Actually I kind of lost it a bit in my last post sorry, had a bad day.

JP I freaking wish you would ignore me most of the time but almost every time I post there you are being a dick as usual. Again you act like you're 12 saying "I don't like you" yeah like I give a fuck. Also it was a girl and I said "Fuck the Lounge" thats my sense of humor that seemingly some people got,I tried to make amends and apologized if I offended anyone, but you somehow hold a grudge for it? As far as the USA "helping" Ireland Chalice was kind enough to correct me and give me a different point of view that I haven't yet heard, I again apologized for my unintentional ignorance, again you hold a grudge for that too. Wow dude put the keyboard down and step away from the computer, no wait I changed my mind, I want to thank you for being there to police Shit talking in the lounge really thank god you're here. What would gen pop do without you. matter of fact I'm gonna start the Church of JP

On a lighter side note JP I Just realized something I'm starting to like arguing with you. I have no dislike for you but I find myself laughing when I try and think of shit to say to you. I honestly can't tell if you get when I am joking or not so from now on keep in mind 99% of what I say is in a joking manner on that note Fuck You Jerkoff :)

You clearly don't give a fuck, it's there in every vitriolic utterance.

As to this nonsense about me replying to your every post, you've made about 2,700, I've replied to what, a dozen tops.

Your arithmetic is clearly as bad as your understanding of basic English, your manners and your sense of humour.

You truly are an offensive troglodyte.

Detale
05-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Ooooo big words, Sorry I should have been more clear I meant every post in the lounge, Honestly bro I thought you would've got that, My English, sense of humor and math skills are all perfectly fine. I will however concede that my manners may need a little work as there is a unique dynamic here in the lounge that I am still getting used to, but I will get that too.

Oh BTW only real fucking geeks say " troglodyte."

dedro
05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
what is this^^ the ice breakers?

Biggles
05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

I am pretty certain that is not Eratosthenes if that is any help.

brotherdoobie
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM

I am pretty certain that is not Eratosthenes if that is any help.

His tits were smaller.

-bd

JPaul
05-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh BTW only real fucking geeks say " troglodyte."

:glag::earl:"@"

Why don't you just make "I'm really quite stupid" your sig.

Detale
05-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Sorry I don't see the connection

Something Else
05-12-2008, 06:21 AM
A sig is the bit just below your post :smilie4:

Detale
05-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Ah yes I know fucko but I didn't get it at first now I see the quote is separate from the text

How do you like this one?

brotherdoobie
05-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Ah yes I know fucko but I didn't get it at first now I see the quote is separate from the text

How do you like this one?

Homophobe

-bd

JPaul
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
How did he know we were engaged, it's supposed to be a secret.

Did you blab bd.

brotherdoobie
05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
How did he know we were engaged, it's supposed to be a secret.

Did you blab bd.

He liquored me all up, and being the silver tongued devil, that he is...
I spilled me guts.

-bd :cry:

Detale
05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
LOL Is this legal where you guys live?? Or is this a sham marriage for immigration purposes?