PDA

View Full Version : Secure in the USA

kopy
05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to the USA soon for 6 months and will have a internet connection provided by Cox Communications. Location will be Arizona.

I was wondering if it's safe to download in the USA using these methods:

- Torrent using RC4
- Usenet without encryption
- Usenet with SSL 256bit
- HTTP downloads (rapidshare etc)
- FTP downloads

I would be grateful if you could tell me which of these are safe to use and don't get throttled by the ISP.
I cannot choose another ISP.

And if I get caught downloading can they sue(or fine me or punish me in any way) me since I'm not an American citizen? I'm from Europe

Kopy
Thanks in advance

Grind$oFine
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I know people are always talking about how unsafe it is in the US to download this and that... but I'd say the United States make up a great portion of the downloading community.. anyone who knows how to work a computer enough to download, does download and people rarely have issues with the law. Don't worry about getting caught, if worse comes to worse Cox will send you a letter and tell you to stop.
The only people who get sued are those that download off of Limewire, and they only get caught every once in a while when the RIAA wants to scare people.

Edit: As for throttling, I have no experience with Cox, but I believe there is a way to work around it. If I think of where I read it, I'll be sure to post it here.

phrenzy
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Again I have the same ISP and have had no issues at all.....Great speeds btw.....No throttling....

slimdogp
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
You'll be fine, I would advise against using huge amounts of bandwidth though, maybe try to keep your total transfer under 300gb/month

pone44
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
dl only what you own to backup, if scratched-ect;)..Something bout a moving rating-program,( Ask around-hint hint.lol) not sure? Saw posted in here, how to be more secure with BT.? Just do not visit shady sites(which i do not advise ever to do.)
:fst:

Tokeman
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
You'll be fine, I would advise against using huge amounts of bandwidth though, maybe try to keep your total transfer under 300gb/month

Most ISP's that I've worked with are more concerned with total download and not worried about upload much. This is becuase they cap the upload so low that its almost impossible to transfer to much by uploading.
I would agree to keep your download below 300GB though, I shoot for <250 myself.

kopy
05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
You guys are some serious back-up, scratched cd DL'ers :D
I only do at a Max 30 to 50 gigs a month

thanks for all the replies

mrnobody
05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
just don't use kaaza or limewire.

and if you still feel unsafe don't use public trackers.

Zaxx
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Found that Cox throttles high usage accounts..dunno what they call high usage tho...

http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs#United_States_of_America

You can prolly find out all you want here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi

Hope this helps!

@phrenzy...I'll be moving back to AZ soon prolly. What kind of speeds does Cox deliver? Thx...

colbert
05-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Most cable ISPs throttle in some form

Fr33don
05-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Cox is my ISP, and I can't really say I am satisfied. Terrible upload speeds (imo) available in my area, I get 7mbps/512kbps but I'm upgrading to 12mbps/1mbps in the future.

WTB T1-T3 internetz.

deuce6000
05-13-2008, 12:28 AM
It's illegal so I wouldn't say it's safe but i have been using Utorrent with PeerGuardian for about 4 years now with no problems at all.I don't have cox though so i don't know about them.

Enlightened
05-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Kopy,.......U will be very "secure" in the Arizona Desert, LOL

BTW, welcome to the States.......

Zaxx
05-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Talked to a user who has Cox in central AZ. He's got the fastest tier they offer 14Mb up/1.5Mb dn..but it may be a case of where you live, I dunno..

That1Guy
05-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Talked to a user who has Cox in central AZ. He's got the fastest tier they offer 14Mb up/1.5Mb dn..but it may be a case of where you live, I dunno..
Could just be a guess but I think you/he meant 14mbit down/1.5 up ;)

Zaxx
05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Could just be a guess but I think you/he meant 14mbit down/1.5 up ;)

yep..that's the one...:wacko:

kopy
05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks all :D does any of you know if hard drives get checked (for copies of bought movies, apps, games and music you have at home) at the customs?

Tokeman
05-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks all :D does any of you know if hard drives get checked (for copies of bought movies, apps, games and music you have at home) at the customs?

Considering they check laptops at the boarder, I would not risk it. Ship it to yourself :)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080423-laptop-searches-at-the-border-no-reason-no-problem.html

kopy
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Considering they check laptops at the boarder, I would not risk it. Ship it to yourself :)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080423-laptop-searches-at-the-border-no-reason-no-problem.html
guess i'm going to get Truecrypt running :D

xtonart
05-14-2008, 02:19 AM

cullen7282
05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm in America and have never had any problems. I don't worry about maxing out my connection, have never received a letter either. Don't worry about it.

Zaxx
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Me and my wife flew back from england...she just wrapped her drives up in some clothes in her luggage for padding, all was fine. Dunno about taking them as on board luggage tho.