PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else think that waffles is degrading?

basketmonster
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Back when oink went down, waffles was obviously the best music site out of the three main ones (waffles, what and stmusic) - huge collection, great quality, and an active community. But lately, does anyone get the impression that everything's starting to slow down there? The total torrent count has only moved by around 1k in the last week, and the seeded torrent count is barely moving either. The forums are pretty inactive too.

Compared to what, which is still growing by almost a thousand torrents a day, i think it might be time to move my torrents over. Judging by the number of uploads per day there, i don't think i'm the only one.

Thoughts?

kooftspc11
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
yes, the once beautiful waffle is becoming a limp and lifeless pancake with log cabin syrup smeared all over collecting ants and giving you heartburn

LiMuBai
05-12-2008, 05:27 PM
yes, the once beautiful waffle is becoming a limp and lifeless pancake with log cabin syrup smeared all over collecting ants and giving you heartburn

waffles + Pepto-Bismol = relief

g_status
05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I agree...what is definitely taking over! waffles is getting harder and harder to seed too

DjFresh
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree with you all.

invite420
05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
stmusic and whatcd rule

never used my 30 week old waffles.fm account

Grind$oFine
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, and I really liked Waffles a great deal more, but I think it's fading in a lot of ways.
What.CD + Gazelle + the new features + amount of torrents + custom stylesheet = quite impressive
I still don't agree with having to pay upload credit for making requests though. Everyone knows adding your vote to requests is the number one ratio booster, and now it's kind of takes some of the appeal away.

markupmaster
05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Eh?

I still like it a lot.

I think most people liked it because it was so hyped. But It's always been a decent tracker..

:)

munkyboy04
05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
still like it alot.

I dont really understand why you wouldn't. I find it more reliable than what? with better seeded torrents for the music i like to listen too. Still my favorite

Daniel
05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I never disliked waffles and I don't do so now. But it's also true that what.cd has always been my primary source for music and my stats show that (about 10 times more downloaded than on waffles).

There's still one discipline waffles is leading though: the number of uploaded and seeded torrents per registered user are higher than on what.

There's a lot that waffles has done with a smaller userbase (compared to what) but it also shows that 10k+ additional users can make a positive difference.

robotpirate
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
i wouldn't say degrading, but also not upgrading neither.

twe4k
05-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Even if I'm not a member of waffles yet, I have to agree with Grind$oFine about what.cd. Until recently, the trackers I used were libble and indietorrents, but now that I discovered what.cd, I'm really impressed.

Their new codebase is something really great in my opinion and just shows how what.cd stands from the others. Until now, I was getting a little bored at all the trackers, with identical layout and features taken from a codebase that is now 4 years old. What.cd brings some freshness :P

dunson
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I got into Waffles first and although What is nice, I prefer to use Waffles because What is hosted in the US and I trust the Waffles staff with my security more. Although, Gazelle is nice looking. Honestly I don't use either site as much as other trackers, since I have plenty to listen to from Elektronik. :)

1000possibleclaws
05-12-2008, 09:39 PM
i agree that waffles is more reliable. whatcd lets almost anyone in, and i've run into alot of mislabelled torrents that were shite quality or missing tracks. with waffles i get what i expect

Daniel
05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
because What is hosted in the US
Are you sure about that? A traceroute shows me that both hops before the what.cd server are in Germany ... and an overseas connection is never done in one single hop.

DasFox
05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Well here's the stats:

What.cd:

Maximum Users: 55,000
Registered Users: 48,287
Torrents: 159,356
Peers: 619,160
Seeders: 601,296
Leechers: 17,864
Snatches: 2,905,164
Seeder/Leecher Ratio: 33.66
Active Users: 1,607

Waffles:

Registered users 35,866
Total Torrents 140,607
Recently Seeded Torrents 133,706
Seeders 543,528
Leechers14,692

ByteBitten
05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Waffles has encrypted sessions which is an awesome bonus. However, I think what.cd looks better, has files I did not find at waffles, and has nice functionality and organization with Gazelle. The freeleech picks at what.cd definitely help out with ratio too.

Gish
05-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I like waffles and use both the site and the forums every day and in my opinion it is far from dead. there are many people who post their everyday!
anyway waffles is only slowly letting people in so that it will have a better user base!

people said this about what! 4 months ago! give it some time.
I do think the 25 gig upload to be a power user is a little much.

grimms
05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Waffles still works for me and happy with it.

dunson
05-13-2008, 12:42 AM
because What is hosted in the US
Are you sure about that? A traceroute shows me that both hops before the what.cd server are in Germany ... and an overseas connection is never done in one single hop.

IP Location - New Jersey - Cedar Knolls - Net Access Corporation

WhoIS info on the domain. Dunno man.

DarkLured
05-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Degrading to whom? ;)

robotpirate
05-13-2008, 12:49 AM
i thought what was in canada

1000possibleclaws
05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
i thought what was in canada

yeah i thought so too

aaatoel
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't say degrading... It is still great as always! I just think that people are pretty excited with gazelle in what, and they seem to try that more! Waffles rocks and if the members there will be increased in numbers, things will be even better!

Feeling
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
i like waffles :o

Alien5
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
site & tracker down. :(

pone44
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
not for good?????:(

site & tracker down. :(

BOOM
05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I still use waffles almost every day and it works fine for me ;)

stroj
05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Content wise - neither What or Waffles can offer me stuff, that i used to leech from OiNK.

colombianino
05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Content wise - neither What or Waffles can offer me stuff, that i used to leech from OiNK.

you know, i still can't get fully recovered from the takedown, everytime i see or hear about it, it reminds me of the huge .torrent DB it had and how everything was so fluent and smooth :cry:.

i think waffles is better, the site has some features what is missing on (like the "find torrents needing seeds", and waffles has created a better user db than what, im sure that the mods in what wanna let all who love music in, but not everyone should get in at the same time.

ps:waffles is down :dry:.

sovaz
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Waffles is better for me...more security too...What doesn't even support encrypted sessions. N apart from that waffles has many more features tat what misses like the extended search, tags n what not.

Daniel
05-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Waffles is better for me...more security too...What doesn't even support encrypted sessions. N apart from that waffles has many more features tat what misses like the extended search, tags n what not.
You obviously haven't been on what.cd in the past two weeks.

sovaz
05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
You obviously haven't been on what.cd in the past two weeks.

Of course i have been...but i can't see anything good about gazelle apart the aesthetic part...Waffles rules over what imo.

jars
05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
despite having a bigger buffer on waffles; 27GB compared to 16GB on what, I'm spending more and more time at what now. Main reason is at what I'm more confident being able to re seed what I've downloaded due to the having the monthly freeleech selections. It's honestly that simple for me. I can see myself surving at what easier.

The Flying Cow
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
So far (and I've found many rare materials in What) haven't experienced any sort of problem with regards to mislabeled material/bad quality.

Everything's been crisp, mint condish.

IMO Waffles is beautiful and sexey (eye-candy-wise) but seeding is a pain in the arse.

soulreaper
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
So far (and I've found many rare materials in What) haven't experienced any sort of problem with regards to mislabeled material/bad quality.

Everything's been crisp, mint condish.

IMO Waffles is beautiful and sexey (eye-candy-wise) but seeding is a pain in the arse.

My thoughts exactly. With all due respect to all the new "tweaks" and "aesthetics" in What, it still looks rather messy. Too much shaking and baking screws things up.

EDIT:- Just as I talked about the aesthetics of what,someone just cranked up their login page,wow!

sabre
05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
i hardly use my waffles.fm account because of the lack of leechers / activity on the site. the music i download can be found on both sites usually so i always pick what.cd because i don't have to bust my balls to seed back to 1:1.

In terms of security
What.cd is hosted in canada (safe for torrents)
waffles.fm is in sweden (dont know)
They are both safe IMO and to everyone whos complaining about how what.cd doesn't offer SSL, although its a good feature to have, it doesn't really give extra security against MPAA/RIAA etc...

basketmonster
05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
While waffles has some cool features, no doubt, what I'm considering is the userbase. I've just finished moving all my torrents over to what (after I changed my theme from the brown default one to kuro), and the fact that what's torrent database is growing much much faster than waffles' shows that I am not alone. No one seems to be uploading or leeching anything over there - it's basically stagnant.

While waffles has more torrents per user, it really looks like most of these users are jumping ship and heading over to the bigger tracker. Why else would the user count keep rising but the torrent count not move? :ermm:

Jaits
05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
actually nvm :P

sabre
05-14-2008, 03:14 AM
i hate when you open waffles.fm browse page and the first 3pages or so has torrents with 0seeders & 0leechers...makes the place seem dead

lostdemon
05-14-2008, 04:13 AM
i hate when you open waffles.fm browse page and the first 3pages or so has torrents with 0seeders & 0leechers...makes the place seem dead

They are newly uploaded torrents that's why it says that.
Everytime I upload a new torrent it says 0 seeders & 0 leechers for several minutes until it finally says 1 seeder. I guess you haven't upped your own cd's yet huh

05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
It's not Waffles that's 'degrading' - its What.cd that's 'Upgrading'

:w00t:

madden player
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
It's not Waffles that's 'degrading' - its What.cd that's 'Upgrading'
QFT

Submission
05-15-2008, 06:53 PM
nah waffles is degrading. The site is barely growing and with What.cd's new gazelle, what just destroys waffles.

Site doesn't even work right now.

Quylui
05-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Uhh... the forums are "inactive?"
Which Waffles are you talking about?

$we
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
nah waffles is degrading. The site is barely growing and with What.cd's new gazelle, what just destroys waffles.

Site doesn't even work right now.
you're too sensationalist for my taste. depart, you vile vermin!

fucking fanboys... it's the music that counts!

"Beyond here is something like a utopia - beyond here is What.CD."

they're trying a little to hard to attract the parasitic basement-dwellers of the world, amirite?

thedemon44
05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been a member of What.cd long enough to have uploaded about 100gigs worth of music. Since it changed to gazelle, I really dont like the site as much. I thought it was much cleaner before.

One of the ways I liked to get music that wasnt hosted on the tracker was by requesting it. Now i lose upload to make a request? No thanks.

Yesterday someone offered me an invite to Waffles, and I gladly accepted it. It has the look and functionality that I want. Its going to take awhile to build a buffer it seems, but it will be well worth my patience.

LeEWay
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
If your on waffles and what, your pretty much covered. At the beginning I liked waffles... then switched to what. After they introduced gazelle, my dedication went back to waffles :O

The top 3-4 music trackers out there basically have the same stuff anyways.

LeEWay

Funkin'
07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
My dedication has always been to What. I'm a member at Waffles, but I rarely use the account because I find the site is lacking. What is definitely the superior tracker between the two(although btmusic is my favorite and most used).

Eargasm
07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
They've always been pretty neck and neck, but at some time, what just proved that it would focus on developing a better and more powerful tracker.. that turned out to be something very appealing. On top of that they've made good decisions, like more user classes and having uploaded torrents as a requirement to achieve e-penis++.

What is already better than OiNK ever was in some ways, and is gaining in others. Waffles is great too, but if what can outdo OiNK.. then the sky is the limit.

eram
07-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Funny to read these comments now . Just a few month ago everyone was just saying that waffles is so much cooler. I also think that waffles is just the same as it was. But their forum is really great and they also improved with their articles. Still What is just going crazy!

Dr.Horrible
07-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Waffles jumped into things I think and what.cd thought things through more and developed more of their own style. Down the track I think what will be the best.

Legion
07-22-2008, 09:32 AM
What is clearly the new oink...just check the peers and torrents available...it definetly owns waffles, which could've been far better now, but something happened, dunno what...maybe lack of interest from staff members, while what clearly has ambitious and dedicated staff

soulreaper
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think waffles has degraded,I still prefer their forums over what. They're both a bitch to keep a good ratio on and I feel having both sites enables better selection.

integral
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
What has more potential than waffles; sure, they both have great collections, but sooner or later What is going to get bigger, it's just inevitable. It's a more progressive tracker.

KREMBO
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
it looks like waffles are decelerate
but i prefer waffles than what
cus its more experience for me

xnugx
07-23-2008, 06:39 AM
I love Waffles. It saved me from OiNK going down. The userbase is WAY more audiophile-esque, and therefore, the torrents seem to be pulled if they aren't legit and a ton of v0 is uploaded which is the greatest thing next to FLAC. What is awesome, but I check my Waffles every day. I've built that ratio w/o a seedbox and am almost a poweruser. I literately feel proud about that. Plus, I bet there are more lambgoat.com kids on Waffles than What, and that r00lz.

TP635
07-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Food get eaten; What eat waffles?:P

Sylar666
07-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think so - reverting to our original subject. Waffles doing fine, What.cd is gaining momentum and developing fast. In relative terms, though, it could be true. But I trust in Waffles.

Squizzle
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah. Waffles makes me feel really degraded and humiliated. :(

dunson
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
My waffles are crumbling! Too much syrup!!!

nthpeter
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I only have waffles so its my number 1 music tracker :happy:

s33d3r
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
its very difficult to keep good ratio there as there are no leechers or very few leechers.

integral
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
its very difficult to keep good ratio there as there are no leechers or very few leechers.

I know that's true. Around the time I deleted my account, the majority of torrents on the first page and second page had 0 seeds and 0 leeches, not sure if this has changed though.

JenSenCO
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I prefer waffles cause the athmosfere in forums seems much warmer :)

robotpirate
07-25-2008, 01:15 AM

I know that's true. Around the time I deleted my account, the majority of torrents on the first page and second page had 0 seeds and 0 leeches, not sure if this has changed though.
there's more likely at least 1 seed. it just don't update properly...

mbucari1
07-25-2008, 01:48 AM
http://www.waffles.fm/delacct.php

aysomc
07-25-2008, 02:13 AM
i prefer waffles, havnt ever had a problem getting any music i want from there.

respawn40
07-25-2008, 02:50 AM
I prefer pancakes. I have found that Waffles tend to get smushy overtime, especially when they're frozen and the melted ice hits them.

But really, I think What is beating Waffles right now; they have great features, and Gazelle is great too.

BelleandSeb
07-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I prefer waffles cause the athmosfere in forums seems much warmer :)

True. Waffles forums are my favourite, and I prefer the whole site over What by quite a big margin. To be honest this thread is nonsense. Over at Waffles there's like 4 torrents uploaded per person on average and 1.4 over at What. That confirms what I feel, that there's more incentive to upload at Waffles, and that users will continue to make it stronger. Also Waffles is pushing the proverbial boat out in terms of the quality of FLAC rips, with the Waffle Iron seal of approval.

There are also more genuine music fans at Waffles and it's growing, while What is just getting more bogged down by dupes. Admittedly both trackers will always be compared ad nauseam and neither will stray too far from each other in terms of quantity of torrents.

EDIT: and the question implies something different entirely. I suggest the OP looks up 'degrading'.

jukesta
07-26-2008, 11:54 PM
What also has a lot more users than Waffles, i think.

There is not a lot of dupes on what.cd your silly.

What.cd Owns.

Raban
07-27-2008, 02:31 AM
yes what.cd has all the momentum... there are many times i do a search on what and just check to make sure on waffles and waffles always has less matches... sometimes a LOT less ...

waffles better do something quick cause the competition is basically over with what.cd the winner in a landslide.

lysine
07-27-2008, 02:36 AM
the competition is basically over

why does it always have to be a competition? they're both music trackers, and beyond that, there's not much they have in common, other than starting when oink shutdown.

stoi
07-27-2008, 02:42 AM
I dont understand why this has to be a competition between the 2.

they are 2 seperate trackers, with 2 seperate staffers, with 2 seperate ideas.

ok What seems to be taking giant steps in the changes, but on the other hand, you cant beat a tried and trusted system, people feel more comfortable like your favourite chair by the fire, and you wont get rid of it for love nor money.

Thats the one problem with change, even if the change does make your site better to you, a lot of members get scared of change. (and i should know)

and you cant please everyone all the time.

Btw i know why they are getting compared im not silly, i just dont see why they should be compared like its a competition.

before you had 1 place yo get your music now you have 2, be happy and just download/upload, instead of comparing them to one another.

edit, damn poster above just beat me.

Gish
07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
well waffles has had there invites off for over a week know so there are people waiting for invites as we speak!!!

but I feel that Slow and steady will win the race.

aaatoel
07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I dont understand why this has to be a competition between the 2.

they are 2 seperate trackers, with 2 seperate staffers, with 2 seperate ideas.

ok What seems to be taking giant steps in the changes, but on the other hand, you cant beat a tried and trusted system, people feel more comfortable like your favourite chair by the fire, and you wont get rid of it for love nor money.

Thats the one problem with change, even if the change does make your site better to you, a lot of members get scared of change. (and i should know)

and you cant please everyone all the time.

Btw i know why they are getting compared im not silly, i just dont see why they should be compared like its a competition.

before you had 1 place yo get your music now you have 2, be happy and just download/upload, instead of comparing them to one another.

edit, damn poster above just beat me.

Totally agreed as I mentioned above... Sure criticism should be welcomed, I just don't understand the need for competition. :)

Villain
07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
I am not member of waffles, so I am wondering is there a lot of .flac music?

internazionale 1908
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
why does it always have to be a competition? they're both music trackers, and beyond that, there's not much they have in common, other than starting when oink shutdown.

yeah. thats sad

better days will come until there enjoy the music!

cheers

jukesta
07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Stoi does have a excellent point like allways.

Something Else
07-27-2008, 05:32 PM
does anyone else think that waffles is degrading?

How can a bit torrent tracker for music be degrading. Degrading to who. :blink:

It's not as if they depict women being chained and whipped or dwarves juggling or something else.

xKaosx
07-28-2008, 05:10 AM
But really, I think What is beating Waffles right now; they have great features, and Gazelle is great too.

Both of them have nice features.

The Flying Cow
07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
does anyone else think that waffles is degrading?

How can a bit torrent tracker for music be degrading. Degrading to who. :blink:

It's not as if they depict women being chained and whipped or dwarves juggling or something else.

But you missed the point, didn yeh Scott?

I have seen dwarves in there, BTW.

-Sherman