PDA

View Full Version : Reducing .mpeg And .avi

TClite
08-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Ive been recording myself doing a track on colin mcrae rally 3, about 3 mins (on a good day lol) problem is that the outputed avi is huge, 700mb+ sometimes, this isnt a huge problem, as im using fraps which outputs uncompressd avi, so virtual dub mpeg4 fast motion encoding codec usually get its down to about 30MB, so in an effort to get it small enough for transfer with a mate on 56k i tried tinkering with the bitrate and resolution and filtering every second frame out....and more, all of which worked great however the video was more or less tiny and cut up. Are there any recommended techniques or programs for extreme compression

just as an aside, i managed to get a 16.5mb clip down to 700k keeping the original resolution, and the file was very watchable just slighly less impressive than the original 2minute clip too (cut audio) - i just thought that was pretty damn good lol

current tool set - virtualdub (type of video determines which version asf codec etc)
tmpgenc

TClite
08-13-2003, 03:26 PM
any ideas folks....thanks

monica_green_22
08-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Currently, the best audio/video compression is offered by the Windows Media 9 codecs.

While these codecs have extremely good compression ratios, they are considerably slower than any mpeg based codec (such as divx, xvid, ms mp4, etc.).

The only other thing holding this format back is the high cost of licensing it for use in portable devices, phones, and non-ms systems.

For lower bandwidth compression, the .wmv format has almost 200% better compression ratio than mpeg 4 (i tested using xvid, with the april build from CVS).

To try these out, get Windows Media Encoder 9 from MS.

Monica

Gre1
08-13-2003, 03:51 PM
U should have posted in Movieworld I will help u get there.

TClite
08-13-2003, 05:38 PM
is it possible to download the wm9 codec set for virtual dub? will the program from windows need cracked or is it legitimate to encode to wmv....

Dapadipz
08-13-2003, 07:10 PM
im prettty sure the series 9 encoder program is freeware

Dapadipz
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Here Is The Link

------------------------------------
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/images/subhome/9series/encoder_m.gif

------------------------------------

Series 9 Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx)

monica_green_22
08-13-2003, 09:09 PM
You only need to pay for encoding if you encode DRM protected data using the encoder. If you don't use any licensing scheme, its free.

Monica

TClite
08-14-2003, 12:02 AM
the program is excellent, although am i right in assuming its not completely safe, in that the material ill be encoding might be something other than a legitimate clip of myself playing a game, i see that it makes some connections to m$, just a querrie

rottenchild
08-14-2003, 05:35 AM
Or you could always get Dr.Divx and just type into the "output size" box (or something like that,) the size that you want your file to compress to. I use Dr. Divx all the time to make my files a ton smaller. It's terribly easy to use.

Dapadipz
08-14-2003, 09:15 AM
ye dr divx is good too

neway with series 9 encoder just dont let it connect to the net. i didnt just to make sure

i used to encode loads of music videos with it. forgot all about that program till seeing this thread