PDA

View Full Version : Newtear Attacks

mike1629
08-12-2003, 07:20 PM
When I am logged onto kazza lite I am getting newtear attacks. All of them have been intercepted by my firewall, I hope. I am writing this note in this forum because 99.9 % of the time I get these attacks I am logged onto kazza Lite. These attacks are happening more frequently as time goes by. I do not think these attacks are because of my media player. Has anyone else received these attacks while logged onto kazza ? What should I do about them ?

VB
08-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Newtear is an old DOS (denial of service) attack that affects unpatched Win95 and NT4 machines.

Since your firewall blocks it, you're safe.

DarkBlizzard
08-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by mike1629@12 August 2003 - 14:20
When I am logged onto kazza lite I am getting newtear attacks. All of them have been intercepted by my firewall, I hope. I am writing this note in this forum because 99.9 % of the time I get these attacks I am logged onto kazza Lite. These attacks are happening more frequently as time goes by. I do not think these attacks are because of my media player. Has anyone else received these attacks while logged onto kazza ? What should I do about them ?
If you dont have Sygate Firewall get it. It's great. Norton firewall is ok too.

Renegade720
08-13-2003, 02:59 AM
waht's the ip address for this?

mike1629
08-13-2003, 05:09 AM
The final address of the attack orginates from Mexico or Colorado. I do not know if this one or more people since it easy to re-route addresses these days. I also do not know what KL policy is concerning those kinds suspisisous activity. I would prefer to just report the address to experts, unless KL policy is " do anything". If I publish an address without further research.. If they have an attack it can be a false positive (some older versions of an media player will do that).

I am running Mcafee Firewall 4 which has stopped these attacks and email attacks from this site or one of its links. KL is basically safe but for a few people.

By the way sometimes when I get a newtear attack my downloads/uploads from
KL will disconnect and I have to restart KL. Also my telephone answer service will disconnect. This does not happen all the time but if someone else has this type of problem then this may be the answer why.

nanotek
08-14-2003, 06:09 PM
:o interestingly enough i just check my firewall and saw lots of blocks and yes my kazaalite does turn off sometimes when dl &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; or could this have something to do with the worm ? i&#39;ve got the patch couple of weeks ago paranoid as i am about security <_< ps the attacks seem to come from spain