PDA

View Full Version : What.cd account disabled for giveaway?

Wilton331
05-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I just had my first giveaway where I gave away 4 what.cd invites, and now my account is disabled there. Is that not allowed? I mean, what are invites for other than to give them away?

Feeling
05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Invites are to give to TRUSTED FRIENDS that know how to keep a ratio and know what torrents are. Invites are not for give aways and to boost your rep on Public trading boards. The site doesnt want newbs on the site.

Simple as that. :rolleyes:

Wilton331
05-17-2008, 04:06 PM
How do they know that these people aren't trusted? By checking their ratios from other trackers I am making sure that they aren't "newbs".

And why would they jump to conclusions and ban my account immediately? Why wouldn't they wait and see if the people I invited have bad ratios?

Its just dumb in my opinion. Is there anything I can do about this? I really think that I contributed to what and can continue to.

ghurka
05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
How do they know that these people aren't trusted? By checking their ratios from other trackers I am making sure that they aren't "newbs".

And why would they jump to conclusions and ban my account immediately? Why wouldn't they wait and see if the people I invited have bad ratios?

Its just dumb in my opinion. Is there anything I can do about this? I really think that I contributed to what and can continue to.So can you guarantee they won't cheat or even trade that account on. Do you know they haven't already been banned from these sites and are looking for another way in. No?

You are giving these invites to strangers. Most sites don't allow public giveaways....check their faq. Most of them stipulate they can only be given to people you know. You will be very lucky if your other accounts are not disabled also.

SCR
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Its just dumb in my opinion. Is there anything I can do about this? I really think that I contributed to what and can continue to.

Well they don`t have to know if the people that you invited are trusted or not .
About jumping to conclusions they don`t draw conclusions .. they have a set of rules and they just apply them . Here :"Trading, selling or offering invites in public is strictly prohibited, and will get you permanently banned." <--- part of what.cd rules .
And you are not the first to be disabled for that ... about getting back your account .. I don`t think so .

Wilton331
05-17-2008, 04:25 PM

Its just dumb in my opinion. Is there anything I can do about this? I really think that I contributed to what and can continue to.So can you guarantee they won't cheat or even trade that account on. Do you know they haven't already been banned from these sites and are looking for another way in. No?

You are giving these invites to strangers. Most sites don't allow public giveaways....check their faq. Most of them stipulate they can only be given to people you know. You will be very lucky if your other accounts are not disabled also.

I just don't understand. I am not doing anything that I dont see people doing on this site everyday. I figured that it was courteous and altruistic. I didn't have any other motives or some secret agenda. I honestly feel bad now. I don't have any friends that use bittorrent, so i figured this would be the best way to distribute my invites. I apologize.

J-G
05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Don't do any public GA's ;)
Especially here at FST coz here r lot of traders/cheaters.
Give someone who u trust/know some months and your acc will be safe.
:)

bladesharp
05-17-2008, 04:40 PM
My account aslo got disabled today , i dont know what mistake i did and i really dont know whom to contact, i was keeping a good ratio and was active..
Can anyone help me on this...i mean jsut to cotatc them? will that work or atleaast to know i volated any rules or just a techinical error?

Thanks-and sorry wilton331 for posting in u r thread

F.B.I
05-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Another one...

I hope for more cases like this one, to see if some people learn that "friends" and "virtual friends" are different.

pone44
05-17-2008, 04:44 PM
@Wilton331 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/wilton331-173162)-Did you Read site Rules-FAQ when signing up? I am not sure but i stay clear of giving out invites to anyone but close friends!
@bladesharp (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/bladesharp-199076)- did you do a giveaway somewhere? Or something else not allowed on most sites, like a public giveaway where you give the invite to a complete stranger??
I would think to invite even a friend there, i would make sure they can Rip-Upload, follow rules-ect. So always be wary of GA's and who you give your invites to(if you give any @ all?)
I admit i do not trade or do Giveaways with ANY invite for this very same reason. :fst:

I just had my first giveaway where I gave away 4 what.cd invites, and now my account is disabled there. Is that not allowed? I mean, what are invites for other than to give them away?

Info:Dictionary meaning of Friend.
Friend (frhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ebreve.gifnd)n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement:

5. Friend A member of the Society of Friends

puckface
05-17-2008, 04:49 PM
giveaways and trades are almost exactly the same, someone you dont know gets in. It happens.

RedRansom
05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
J-G (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/j-g-201710) is right dude :-/ cuz there is alot of cheater ,collector and trader :S
Wilton331 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/wilton331-173162) nice man i know you wanna help someone :)
They take invites from giveaways and trading with someone with another forum sites ex So Be ware! if you wanna plan give invites someone , search him/her ex-post maybe you can notice him/her collector or tader ;)

bladesharp
05-17-2008, 04:53 PM
@Wilton331 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/wilton331-173162)-Did you Read site Rules-FAQ when signing up? I am not sure but i stay clear of giving out invites to anyone but close friends!
@bladesharp (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/bladesharp-199076)- did you do a giveaway somewhere? Or something else not allowed on most sites, like a public giveaway where you give the invite to a complete stranger??
I would think to invite even a friend there, i would make sure they can Rip-Upload-ect. :fst:

Nope i did not do a give away , i recently joined there and was keeping a 2+ ratio and was active everday.. i really have no idea , why i got disabled? well i have read all the FAQs .. one simple suspicion is i logged in from 3 differnt meachines.. but FAQ says its allowed :(..
Can any one help me to contact mods...

soulreaper
05-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Rule taken from what.cd :-

Trading, selling or offering invites in public is strictly prohibited, and will get you permanently banned.

You broke their rule and got disabled for it.Your generosity backfired,pity.
Sorry for your loss man but time to move on coz I highly doubt you'll be re-enabled.

Also,your username is the same here as on what.cd. I suggest you change it or you might end up at the wrong side of the stick again.

J-G
05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
1st rule - if u join tracker forum like this, use different nickname ;D
Many trackers can ban u only because u r member here ;)

SCR
05-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I would think to invite even a friend there, i would make sure they can Rip-Upload-ect. :fst:

Nope i did not do a give away , i recently joined there and was keeping a 2+ ratio and was active everday.. i really have no idea , why i got disabled? well i have read all the FAQs .. one simple suspicion is i logged in from 3 differnt meachines.. but FAQ says its allowed :(..

If you didn`t do anything wrong as you claim .. most probably the one that invited you did ..and so you were disabled to .

bladesharp
05-17-2008, 05:08 PM

If you didn`t do anything wrong as you claim .. most probably the one that invited you did ..and so you were disabled to .

that is sad :(, i was pretty excited on that tracker itself ... bad luck :(

Daniel
05-17-2008, 05:21 PM
It's only reasonable of the tracker staff to disable users for their public 'advertising' with giveaways. I may have a slightly different opinion on that but I also respect those sites where I'm a member and after some invite tree statistics I read in their forums my doubts have dwindled.

FYI: In all my months on what.cd I've only invited three users I knew previously and who I'd trust to behave. Nevertheless, while those three are still (good) members today, my invite tree that started with them has a total of 18% of disabled users. I'm only lucky that I'm not directly responsible for a single one of them ;)

The sad thing is that this number of disabled users is no singular case but rather a little bit below average. Check out the what.cd forums for a topic about invite tree statistics for more of that.

soulreaper
05-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Check out the what.cd forums for a topic about invite tree statistics for more of that.

I don't think the OP can check out their forums since he's banned.
But I guess you were trying to convey this point to the rest of us,so ty for the tip.:)

WarrenBuffet
05-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Invites are to give to TRUSTED FRIENDS that know how to keep a ratio and know what torrents are. Invites are not for give aways and to boost your rep on Public trading boards. The site doesnt want newbs on the site.

Simple as that. :rolleyes:

I humbly believe the I have the ability to sort out users who aren't "noobs". My "trusted" friends I know only use the pirate bay. Here, you can find torrent addicts that will most likely be better users.
* I will however respect individual tracker's rules and if I'm not allowed to make giveaways, I won't. It's as simple as that.
You should have read What's rules.

thedemon44
05-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Dude you got exactly what you deserve. Personally, I dont want people publically offering away invites. If you dont know any people to give these invites away to, then dont give them away.

I can understand offering away an invite to someone you have gotten to know in some way, be it the net or otherwise, but not at random, with screenshot proofs. No, not cool. The fact that a lot of other people also do it here is also not cool.

Wilton331
05-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I wish I could just turn back the clock.

What.cd was my main tracker :(

WarrenBuffet
05-17-2008, 07:10 PM

I pm'ed u a secret

kukushka
05-17-2008, 07:45 PM
this is from what? forum. last reply is from mn.

Try to keep it in PU+ invite sections only.
If not available make your own requirements. 50 GB+, 1.2 ratio, 4 week membership (or whatever you wan)
JUST BE CAREFUL with cheaters

Loserboozer
First of all, no public forums! Only on private sites.
And as Loserboozer said, keep it in PU invite sections.
Of course, no trading, selling...

mn

..so i don't mind to give invites to what? to people i know from here who will make requests, but i won't announce giveaways and after asking for profiles will act on other respected and notthateasytoget private trackers. it will be within spirit and i'll be sure that invitee already has something that he has something in his hands that could also be lost if he starts to act foolishly...

..ps and f..k rep points, not breaking rules and live peacefully on good trackers is a much more valuable thing :)

Grind$oFine
05-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Go to the IRC support channel, and talk to a staff member,
and be polite.
That's your best shot at fixing this, FST is not gonna help you.

kukushka
05-17-2008, 08:22 PM
and be polite.
well, fst can help with explanation and information is power :)

M3nn0
05-17-2008, 09:15 PM
i Got disabled in waffles for, uuuhhhmmmm, i still dont know... life's hard u know :/

RedRansom
05-17-2008, 09:28 PM
·:·);2829668']

I pm'ed u a secret
:shifty:

1st rule - if u join tracker forum like this, use different nickname ;D
Many trackers can ban u only because u r member here ;)
:blink: if someone using our nick name at FSH

badjoe
05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Wilton, my acc got disabled too... Just a few hours after registration. Btw im able to seed my downloaded torrents, just cant log in...

I hope you will get your acc back... Thanks for the invite anyway.

(sorry for my poor english)

grimms
05-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Don't feel bad it happened to me a few months back. I was speeched about "The chain of trust" from whatman (ultrauser) Now i don't invite anyone ever publicly anymore. Just take it as a hard earned lesson and learn to give out invites to members who deserve it. Privately through pm. Don't do public giveaway's. Make sure they can be trusted and get to know them well first. Don't randomly give them out to anyone. Speedtests and all that other crap mean nothing.

buckpasser
05-17-2008, 11:36 PM
·:·);2829564']

My "trusted" friends I know only use the pirate bay.

A bit off the original topic, but here's something that I've done. I have friends that would find certain sites appealing, so I tell them to go to Pirate Bay, learn how torrents work, and then get back to me with any and all questions. I'd be happy to help.

Most of the time, they haven't bothered to make the effort. So even those real life folks need to be treated with caution. There is no reason for a private tracker to be a training ground.

Then I have a friend I worked with for ten years, who I would definitely trust, but seems insistent on sticking with public trackers. I've told him that I've slept with his wife, so a few invites in return would be the least I can do. :)

Back to the original topic, for goodness sakes don't use the same username here that you use elsewhere. And the disabled account stats were interesting to read. So although I feel bad for the OP, I can see it from What's perspective too.

Wilton331
05-18-2008, 12:49 AM
I went onto their irc channel and went into the disabled accounts section where I was greeted by an extremely impolite mod.

Before I even said anything he said, " You got your account banned for trading and you're not going to get it back"
I responded with " I did not trade any of my invites, are you a moderator?"
He said yes and that the person i traded with was just in the room. I then said that he must not be a moderator because I definitely did not trade any invites, whereby he banned me permanently from the what.cd irc.

It's frustrating because I was extremely polite in choosing my words and this guy was just an asshole for no reason. I don't understand why people get on these power trips. Its unnecessary and childish.

and be polite.

hitman51
05-18-2008, 12:51 AM
edited.

lysine
05-18-2008, 01:06 AM
you failed to read the rules, and you were banned for breaking them. what more do you want?

pbjabba
05-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I went onto their irc channel and went into the disabled accounts section where I was greeted by an extremely impolite mod.
I know what you mean. I lost my account because the person who invited me got disabled because they gave away invites here. Before i knew this though i went into the irc to ask what happened, someone immediately accused me of trading then kicked me. I went back a few days later though and a very helpful mod looked into my case and let me know about my inviter and hence his invite tree getting disabled. So its just luck depending on who you get in irc. That said i don't think you will be able to get your account back, i know it sucks but the best thing to do probably is to start fresh

singing_sol
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
entrusting some one to those invites was not a good idea u mus t have asked users about their activity involved in the site and might then thought of takin the risk but u have made a wrong turn and that cost u ur acc and we have to learn a lot from these kind of guys

bladesharp
05-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Now i got all the information, thanks guys .. need to move on "Banned - Reason -person invited got banned".
And the saddest part is, used a seedbox to seed only what :(.

The first ban i got in 6 years of torrent life.

pone44
05-18-2008, 05:01 AM
I suck with Mirc.... how do i learn it- can not find my channels when i need to or do not know the commands, is hard to me?:frusty:?

and be polite.

kukushka
05-18-2008, 07:41 AM
I know what you mean. I lost my account because the person who invited me got disabled because they gave away invites here. Before i knew this though i went into the irc to ask what happened, someone immediately accused me of trading then kicked me. I went back a few days later though and a very helpful mod looked into my case and let me know about my inviter and hence his invite tree getting disabled. So its just luck depending on who you get in irc. That said i don't think you will be able to get your account back, i know it sucks but the best thing to do probably is to start fresh
so the safest way to signup is thru interview :yup:

SolarisWind
05-18-2008, 08:08 AM
I always thought rules were something that needed to be learned and committed to memory before any downloading. You forget one, it's gameover.
EDIT: Err, I mean before doing anything, not just downloading.

Theory11
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I suggest next time fill the request of those in needy of what.cd instead of blatantly giving it out on a public forum like FST. Some staffs think this is irresponsible and they will disable your account.

bladesharp
05-19-2008, 02:01 AM
sorry for you man
you have to choose the best guy to invite

No , i think the real problem is ,because he has given "Public Giveaways"
like here in FST..

athenaesword
05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
i think there's not much point debating rules on private trackers really. your real friends could end up cheating or not following the rules on the site as well. and there's a good chance that the person you invite might not, if you check up on his background properly. but that's your take, and the staff disagree. unfortunately, they make the rules.

if you really wanted to give them away, you could follow un_s33n's advice and giveaway only to those who request. although that's not allowed as well technically..

bladesharp
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
i have requested my friend who already in what. to PM soem mods to check what happend to my account ... they banned him too :(
OOps i dont know is thsi also includes in rulz...

He got banned only because he asked about my account .....very sad ...

mbed
05-26-2008, 02:51 PM
you should ask at irc about your account.

bladesharp
05-27-2008, 04:15 AM
you should ask at irc about your account.

Please dont do a mistake, my friend asked the same for me and he also got banned ..

grimms
05-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Just accept your lost and move on. There are way too many trackers not to. It does suck to get disabled but it is what it is. If you didn't build it or buy it in the first place you don't own it.

bladesharp
05-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Just accept your lost and move on. There are way too many trackers not to. It does suck to get disabled but it is what it is. If you didn't build it or buy it in the first place you don't own it.

Yes verymuch agree, but dont we have the rite to show the frustration as being part of this commnity .

grimms
05-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Yes verymuch agree, but dont we have the rite to show the frustration as being part of this commnity .

You do... but in the end it won't help your cause (Generally speaking). I use to do a lot of that. I had it out with the what.cd crew and lost in the end and the OP of this thread did too, due to their rules. At the end of the day they won't care, especially when everything was fair game.

jayz707
05-27-2008, 06:00 AM
just forget about what and get in to waffles! if you are not there already ;)

bladesharp
05-27-2008, 06:07 AM

You do... but in the end it won't help your cause (Generally speaking). I use to do a lot of that. I had it out with the what.cd crew and lost in the end and the OP of this thread did too, due to their rules. At the end of the day they won't care, especially when everything was fair game.

Yes i realized and moved on but still cant digest the term "fair game".Because in my case ,got banned due to the invite tree got banned and was using a seedbox anyway no regrets .:D

ISashaI
05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I was banned for changing the e-mail and I think that is not fair, if you have the option to change it, why are you been banned...

Sylar666
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Look, I haven't done any giveaways, I downloaded regularly and had a ratio of sg like 15-20 (with an upload more than 55 GB). I was disabled without any apparent reason. Maybe the problem was that I used Swedish IP, when I visited my sister in Skane, and used the computer from there. I am just guessing. Anyway, I wrote a polite letter to misledhope (he is the only Staff - member I found here from What.cd) and I 'm really looking forward to reading his reply.
I am not really familiar with IRC, you know - I am an older camper. :) Maybe he can tell me what happened. But anyway - if they decide that for some unknown reason I am destined to stay in a disabled state - well that's their decision i gotta accept that and life still goes on. Only thing really hurts that i was among the 1st ones to join to What.cd , on the very 1st day it stated. This is really sad...
Anyway, Bittorrent is just a game - though a very addictive one! Have a nice day, You all.;)

rtzork
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
message cleared

kukushka
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm a huge music collector since years. I have 2000+ vinyls (from jazz to jazzfunk through brazilian music etc) and since the rise of mp3 I have 4x500gb drives and about 700dvdrs burnt with albums.
I'm active on soulseek since the first day it started and on dc++.
I thought of trying what.cd after hearing so much about it. thought I'd give a shot and entered their irc channel. apparently there is an invite channel. I tried to join but I'm banned. not me, my entire country. so I joined their help channel and they said there's nothing to do, too many lamers coming from Israel. I agree that there are too many 13 y/o kiddos who give us, many good users, a bad rep.
So they said that they can't help me getting an invite from the invite channel because a rule is a rule, but said that I can still get an invite the regular way (from a current member).
I look up to a site like that for the community first- I want to share the rare music I have with people and to find people who share the same taste of music. and new stuff is always nice. but I won't be there to leech the site off because that's not what I need. I need a good music community. Maybe someone here could help me with that.
good request. the problem is that it's against rules to request it here so if you're broken rules here what will guarantee that you don't broke it at what.cd?...

Wilton331
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM

It's unfortunate, because for a couple weeks they gave me my account back, but yesterday they took it away again.
I went on their irc channel and very very politely asked why, and they did not have the decency to answer me. They banned me permanently from their irc.

I just wanted to know why they disabled my account.

jasperr
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
from what i've read in this thread it seems to me, although some may be getting hit in the crossfire... that what i've been saying for a while now is true.. Torrenting is changing, more and more sites are taking a stand against trade/open invite forums.. doesn't matter what the scenario is.. staff of these trackers are taking notice believe that. rather than just blaming the staff for scorning you, perhaps... it shouldn't be taken personal. as sylar666 says... it's just a game..

invites were meant to be shared.. yes... but with people you actually know.. and not for opening a thread on a public forum saying "hey! i have this, come get'em"... don't matter if you set rules like ratio SS or speed tests.. they don't mean anything nor do they tell you who the person(s) are.. its not a safe way to determine who's a good user or not.. lol

Also, if you go to a help/support channel on irc or otherwise... you should be given the opportunity to find out why, and provide argument / proof and or both to defend yourself... it is possible the staff made a bad call or maybe there was a misunderstanding ..?? judgment should not be passed as soon as you enter, then told to get the hell out!!... ??? things should be heard at least ... so, if this doesn't happen maybe the staff there need staffing lessons???

Sylar666
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Also, if you go to a help/support channel on irc or otherwise... you should be given the opportunity to find out why, and provide argument / proof and or both to defend yourself... it is possible the staff made a bad call or maybe there was a misunderstanding ..?? judgment should not be passed as soon as you enter, then told to get the hell out!!... ??? things should be heard at least ... so, if this doesn't happen maybe the staff there need staffing lessons???
We'll see. As I told I ain't familiar with IRC, I gave it a try. I am in waiting position.;)
Edited:
All good if ends good!
I happened to be a fast learner. :) High appreciation for what.cd Staff, for the nice and reasonable way they handled my issue. For everybody, who might wear the same shoes, a piece of advice: whenever U go abroad (even for a vacation) and tend to use Your account - let the Staff know about it. My mistake was that I did not inform them that I went to Sweden. But we sorted out, and once again - I am highly impressed the way they treated me. Thanx again! Seems it really pays off to stay polite and calm and patient.

rtzork
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm a huge music collector since years. I have 2000+ vinyls (from jazz to jazzfunk through brazilian music etc) and since the rise of mp3 I have 4x500gb drives and about 700dvdrs burnt with albums.
I'm active on soulseek since the first day it started and on dc++.
I thought of trying what.cd after hearing so much about it. thought I'd give a shot and entered their irc channel. apparently there is an invite channel. I tried to join but I'm banned. not me, my entire country. so I joined their help channel and they said there's nothing to do, too many lamers coming from Israel. I agree that there are too many 13 y/o kiddos who give us, many good users, a bad rep.
So they said that they can't help me getting an invite from the invite channel because a rule is a rule, but said that I can still get an invite the regular way (from a current member).
I look up to a site like that for the community first- I want to share the rare music I have with people and to find people who share the same taste of music. and new stuff is always nice. but I won't be there to leech the site off because that's not what I need. I need a good music community. Maybe someone here could help me with that.
good request. the problem is that it's against rules to request it here so if you're broken rules here what will guarantee that you don't broke it at what.cd?...

you're right. I'm really sorry about that, I really didn't notice. I just replied impulsively to the thread. I'll try to delete it.
Thanks for letting me know.

Wilton331
05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
We'll see. As I told I ain't familiar with IRC, I gave it a try. I am in waiting position.;)
Edited:
All good if ends good!
I happened to be a fast learner. :) High appreciation for what.cd Staff, for the nice and reasonable way they handled my issue. For everybody, who might wear the same shoes, a piece of advice: whenever U go abroad (even for a vacation) and tend to use Your account - let the Staff know about it. My mistake was that I did not inform them that I went to Sweden. But we sorted out, and once again - I am highly impressed the way they treated me. Thanx again! Seems it really pays off to stay polite and calm and patient.

Sylar, can I ask who you talked to? Because I am dying to talk to someone who do me the grace of talking back to me. I really would just like to discuss my situation with someone, thats all. Its been impossible to get that chance.

jukesta
05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
read the rules fools

Sylar666
05-30-2008, 04:32 AM
@wilton, I sent You the exact IRC in PM. Good luck, Dude!