PDA

View Full Version : What Music Did You Grow Up With?

CrumbCat
08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
I remember my father always having his stereo on, as he has always been into music. He always had a top of the line stereo system, and the music was always loud.......the way it should be! :lol:

From the late 60's to the early 70's I remember hearing Johnny Cash more than anything else.

The early 70's he played alot of Cream.

From the mid to late 70's it was The Beatles.

Late 70's to early 80's it was Rod Stewart and The Beatles.

During the early and mid 80's he was into The Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

A few fond memories are when he would play The Concert For Bangladesh, and during Christmas he would always put on The Elvis Christmas Album and The Ventures Christmas Album - still two of my favorites during the holidays!

When I was 11 or 12 years old, my cousin would stay with us from time to time. He was 16 or 17, and had his first car - you know, the one with the piece of crap stereo in it - and he was into Boston, Kansas, The Who, ELO and AC/DC just to name a few.......man do I remember listening to alot of his music while sitting in the backseat of his car wherever we were going.

I still love to listen to all of those artists, and more often than not I find myself being able to sing along word for word without having heard the song for many years.

I would have to say it was my Father who had the greatest influence on my musical taste.

Tchau!
http://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail2.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail3.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail4.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail5.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail6.gif

Arm
08-12-2003, 09:44 PM
I grew up listening to mostly my moms 70s classic rock and not I'm listening to progressive metal. :)

merlin-1
08-12-2003, 10:05 PM
My folks did'nt listen to a lot of music but my neighbor was in a rock band. I spent quite a few nights over there listening to them practice.

dingoBaby
08-12-2003, 10:20 PM
My parents always had the radio on in the kitchen (I should say have, as they are among the living) so I grew up on a steady diet of "classic rock" The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Bob Seager, the Who, Led Zeppelin, and so on and so forth.

My older sister was into music and about 6 years my senior. I used to raid her album collection, and later her tape collection, to listen to Van Halen, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Styx, the Firm, the Grateful Dead, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among others.

djflypson
08-12-2003, 10:56 PM
My father only made noise when he farted :D , but there was a gramaphoneplayerthing. I used to get up early when i was 5. I played Vivaldi and Mozart and play, dance and act stupid with my sister. A dark period came when the Top40 recording on a tape recorder was all i knew. But at my 12 years : Carlos Santana "Moonflower", Jetro Tull, Inner Circle and a spacy 8 hour tape recorder (with pitch and echo ! wow) to play with sometimes, visiting my uncle.

My first record-buy was ACDC, on a verry crappy recordplayer. Later my sister had Punk, New Wave and Rock. Some i liked : Virgin Prunes, The Residents, The Clash, New Order, Kraftwork ...

When i was 15 i started buying records regulary: reggae ! , recording music from radios on tape : funk and soul. I had a stereo rack, i discovered windows could vibrate at home too. But i liked Prince too at this age (not any more since "Batman"). But i bought another recordplayer (with pitch) and the heat was on. Hip Hop came from the US to Europe and I loved it until '92. The rest is history B) I love Jungle and Drum & Bass ever since, and Jazz and a lot of other things. It all makes sense to me. :D I vote for Carlos, the inluencer !

neil1967
08-12-2003, 11:15 PM
my dad was a big motown fan so i grew up listening to this not really knowing anything about it, got into music myself when i was 10 or 11 and the first thing i bought was a u.k. subs 45, Warhead on brown plastic vinyl, still got it with most of my records,then got into the local scene(liverpool) the teardrop explodes, dalek i,bunnymen, to name but a few. a few years later i started playing the bass, and since then ive been into funk and soul as my main love, all those motown records
i heard as a kid are now firm faves, how the past catches up eh!
oh yeah the teenage drug dabblings with friends obviously got me listening to the usual suspects of pot music for a while there. :)

soopaman
08-13-2003, 12:38 AM
When I was quite young it was mostly Soul (Motown, Stax, Etc), also some Beatles and Stones because my Mum liked them. My Dad, who was in the Navy, was away a lot hence my Mum probably influenced me more but when my Old Man was home he'd listen to Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Floyd, Cream, Little Feat, Brothers Johnson, Average White Band, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Yardbirds, Roxy Music, Bowie. Whereas my brother who is 8 years older than me was into The Clash, Pistols, Kraftwerk, Human League, Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, New York Dolls. That was where I think my horizons were broadened and I started listening to more "undergroundtype" music. That in turn drew me towards my abiding passion for Hip-Hop, Electro, Rare Groove to name but a few!! The first record that I saved up and bought myself was "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, it was the beginning of a long and very expensive "Vinyl Addiction" !!! :lol:

Trying to stay cool in this bloody heat&#33;&#33; <_<

soopaman

blkwolf21
08-13-2003, 12:58 AM
im still growing up. on trance

Adster
08-13-2003, 01:02 AM
well lets see when I was young 8 9 years old listened to Jimmy Brnes then got into 60s 70s stuff for learnign guitar grew up on that famous grunge era and now into the more Real Pwer Metal bands

bluedevil
08-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by blkwolf21@13 August 2003 - 01:58
im still growing up. on trance
:lol: lol

blkwolf21
08-13-2003, 02:48 AM
wheres the funny?

Celerystalksme
08-13-2003, 03:53 AM
Ummm i grew up on 50&#39;s/60&#39;s rock n&#39; roll because of my parents...

My sisters who are 13 and 10 years older than me...the influenced Bryan Adams and all various 80/90&#39;s pop and rock...

And yeah by the age of 9 i then wanted to develop my own music taste and what appealed to me most was grunge and punk...

Then as the years passed i ventured into all different types of music from all different years...

And i still listen to what has been influenced upon me...but yeah i mostly listen to punk and rock these days...

Laters
Cely
:)

sum_sicko
08-13-2003, 09:20 AM
blink 182 started me, on the rock/punk scene now ive gone to more depth of metal/rock and sometimes jungle and drum n bass

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
08-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by dingoBaby+12 August 2003 - 17:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dingoBaby &#064; 12 August 2003 - 17:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>My older sister was into music and about 6 years my senior.&nbsp; I used to raid her album collection, and later her tape collection, to listen to Van Halen, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Styx, the Firm, the Grateful Dead, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among others.[/b]
:D And where is she now?

<!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@12 August 2003 - 22:53
My sisters who are 13 and 10 years older than me...the influenced Bryan Adams and all various 80/90&#39;s pop and rock...

Laters
Cely
:)[/quote]
:D And where are they now?

Celerystalksme
08-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+13 August 2003 - 19:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 13 August 2003 - 19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@12 August 2003 - 22:53

Laters
Cely
:D And where are they now? [/b][/quote]
Ones a Nurse who is Married living in Queensland Australia
and
The other one is a lawyer who has a bf living in Queensland Australia

Sorry FC...ya never know though :D

sparsely
08-13-2003, 04:13 PM
My parents didn&#39;t really listen to music at all, save my Dad&#39;s little Classical Music on the way to school....
so this was great. I was completely alone to find my own tastes in things.
Anyway...I posted this at another forum, so I&#39;ll just save myself the time, and copy it. My musical history: 1st Stage 0-10: Some random songs
The Six Little Pixies & the Pixieland Band (if someone knows the real name of this song, or the Artist, please tell me&#33;)
Popeye Adventure records
Puff The Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul, & Mary
9 to 5 - Dolly Parton (from the movie)
The Neverending Story Song

2nd Stage 10-13: The Silliness Takes Hold (& Rap)
Ray Stevens (Mississippi Squirell, etc.)
Weird Al Yankovic
Bobby Jimmy & The Critters (Roaches, Somebody Farted, etc.)
Bill Cosby (the "Himself" performance, and other older material)
D.J. Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (He&#39;s The DJ, I&#39;m The Rapper)
The Fat Boys (Crushin&#39;)
Public Enemy (Yo, Bum Rush The Show&#33;)
L.L. Cool J. (BAD)
Beastie Boys (Licensed To Ill)

3rd Stage 13-17: That Gangsta Shit (& Floyd)
Public Enemy (..Nation Of Millions.., Fear Of A Black Planet)
NWA (Straight Outta Compton)
Eazy-E (Eazy Duz It)
AMG (Bitch Betta Have My Money)
Too Short (Shorty The Pimp)
The Geto Boys (Geto Boys)
Gangsta Nip (South Park Psycho)
Dr. Dre (The Chronic)
Snoop Doggy Dogg (Doggystyle)
Pink Floyd
etc. etc. etc......

4th Stage 17-19: Love, Peace, n LSD (& mushrooms)
Heavy on the Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Doors
The Orb
Bob Dylan
The Violent Femmes
Natural Born Killers Soundtrack
Dazed & Confused Soundtrack
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails
Rage Against The Machine
Lench Mob
Janis Joplin

5th Stage 19-20: The Revival and the Silence
Phil Keaggy
Lost Dogs (The Green Room Serenade)
Mike Rowland (The Fairy Ring)
Robert Haig Coxon (The Silent Path)
Coyote Oldman (In Beauty I Walk)
The NPR radio program "Hearts Of Space"
Beethoven
Mozart

6th Stage 21-Present: What The Fuck Is That Noise?&#33;?
Aphex Twin
The Orb (again)
some Floyd
The Flaming Lips
Sparklehorse
Grandaddy
Wilco
Negativland
The Beta Band
etc. etc. etc.....

CrumbCat
08-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Excellent Post, Sparsely&#33;

Five Paws for that wonderfully written piece of history&#33;
http://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gif

I enjoyed reading it......"6th Stage 21-Present: What The Fuck Is That Noise?&#33;?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tchau&#33;
http://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail1.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail2.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail3.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail4.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail5.gifhttp://www.webdev.net/wabi/gfx/trail6.gif

imnotanaddict
08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
A couple of the the first songs i remember hearing that left an impression were...
Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter Paul & Mary {i think} )
Who ever that was-lyrics (trailers for sale or rent rooms to let 50cents)
well you get the gist.
next the Beatles came to the states (big impression) and that was when my love for music started taking root.
Growing up and being a kid in the 60&#39;s was (hmm. cant sum thatup in one word)
different, wild, whatever
My parents listened to music a lot. Especially in the car pretty much pop / rock
(thankfully no hardcore country but some country western).
It seeemed like before i knew it all these really cool bands surfaced that were really cool. (mabe not exactly in order but close).

Iron Butterfly
Rare Earth
CCR
Grand Funk Railroad
Stephen Wolf
The Guess Who
The Who
Seals & Crofts
The Doobie Brothers
Cat Stevens (v or ph) ?
Black Oak Ark.
to name a few
oh yeah cant forget...
Frank Zappa

those are a few groups i grew up hearing, then i hit my teen years...
Pink Floyd (Dark Side Of The Moon) came out and i was introduced to
smoke. Wow...(this is it). Still a big floyd fan.

(Charlie Daniels played for free atleast once in the parking lot of this head shop
Headquarters)

Yes
Rick Wakeman
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Foghat
Peter Frampton
Sea Train (would love to find a copy but never will / never got big)
Aerosmith
Nazareth
Santanna
The Eagles
Johny Winter
Edger Winter
Robin Trower
David Bowie
A very wide range of different types of music.
oh yeah cant forget...
Frank Zappa

After high school with the emphesis on high...
Playing Foos Ball (and traveling around and playing tournaments) and listening to
Jeff Beck over and over.
I started listening to more instramental (and kind of jazz)
The Crussaders (Goerge Benson) (Please excuse the wrong spelling)
Brian Auger
also
Kansas
E L O
Little Feet
Dixie Dreggs
The Stones
Timbuck3

Then also some Blues
BB King etc.
Tracy Chapman
Eddie Brakell (Know that spellings wrong-oops)

Now years later i still listen to a lot of the above still off and on.
but also...
Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave
Jonny Lang
Self
Floyd & the list goes on and on...
its funny a lot of music i thought i would never like and in fact didnt like at certain
stages of my life i got into later on or now
my oldest daughter even got me listening to some Emenim, so go figure...
i sure never would of thought it, but looking back ive got such a diversive taste
in many types of music it shouldnt be to suprising.

I enjoy reading and hearing about other peoples history and taste in music and still on the lookout for anything new and different.

dingoBaby
08-14-2003, 05:02 PM
I am laughing at the drug references. The first time I got really, really stoned, I was with a few friends and we listened to the Beatles White Album. I was like the kid in Half Baked who thought Jerry Garcia was in his head. What an amazing experience that album is. If you have never listened to it end-to-end, do yourself a favor and get a hold of a copy.

To this day, when I hear Dear Prudence I get this zoned out feeling..."Look around, around, around, around" with that George Harrison riff, at the end of the song.

I am going to put the White Album on right now. B)

sparsely
08-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by imnotanaddict
Who ever that was-lyrics (trailers for sale or rent rooms to let 50cents)

Roger Miller - King Of The Road

CrumbCat
02-13-2004, 05:53 PM
*CrumbCat revives topic for the new members of Musicworld.....

So, tell us what you grew up with...

ck-uk
02-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Umm my grand father was a major music fanatic.He never watched tv at all,just music,music,music.I think after he got slightly cheesed with collecting he start trading audio tapes n music with blind peeps around the world for about 30 yrs.His fav was country western,artist mario lanza.I suppose i inherited it ,because i&#39;m almost idential in most besides the sharing with the blind.I still have a good chunk of his collection too.So the majority of listening growing up was country with a bit of marilion ,fish ,guns n roses,rush gillan etc :)

fkdup74
02-13-2004, 06:27 PM
zeppelin, deep purple, hendrix, the doors, the beatles, jim croche, gordon lightfoot

just to name a few

(my parents were hippies :lol: )

later they got into country :x
so then i got into 80&#39;s metal :P

-edit- forgot, a lot of mowtown too, and growin up in so. cal, some latin freestyle,
some old school and shit like that

seiya_33
02-13-2004, 06:31 PM
well im still not that old , but my parents heard a lot of classical music , but my sister and brother gave me all their cds when they went to college , i was 10 or 9 , so i grew up with:

the doors
janis joplin
the beatles
bob dylan
rage agianst the machine
NIN
guns n roses
bob marley
U2
aerosmith

Lilmiss
02-14-2004, 01:17 AM
I was lucky to have so many influences when I was growing up.

My Pa loved;
Bruce Springstein
The Who
Dexys Midnight Runners
The Jam
The Chilites
In fact, he loved anything Motown, soul.

My ma was into;
Squeeze
Van Morrison
Bob Dylan
She loves Northen soul, rock and punk.
My mum has the best taste in music, she actually introduced me to Nirvana, and Aerosmith&#33; :unsure: I lurve her to bits.

I lived with my Gran and Grandad till I was about 7yr old.
They generally listened to Irish music, and stuff I&#39;d rather forget.
(yes, Des &#39;o Conner, I hate you&#33;)

My two uncles lived with us too.
They played loadsa good stuff like;
The Clash
Bob Marley
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
Every time I think of back then, I think of "Land Down Under - Men At Work".

My other uncle introduced me to;
Guns and Roses
Metallica
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Janis Joplin

My Stepmum used to play a lot of classical, opera, and country.
Garth Brooks still makes me cringe. :helpsmile:

Even as a kid, I didn&#39;t watch that much T.V. Instead I would play my walkman, or tinker with my beloved vinal player. :D

talkpretty
02-14-2004, 07:09 AM
I&#39;m listening to T. Rex while writing this, so I guess this might date me (a little).
My folks were not musically fluent, so I self discovered. I grew up in L.A., so there was good radio to play.

Young Girl - The Beatles, I loved Paul. I got one of those cheap phonographs and would play Rubber Soul over and over (wore it out).

Pre-Pub - A friend said "come over and listen to this"; It was Jimmy Hendrix. Wow&#33; I loved it then and I still love it. Then along came Cream, Tommy James and the shondells. Sgt. Pepper was a mind blower. The Doors

I would spend hours at the record store agonizing what album to buy with my meager allowance. I remember staring at the new Santana - Abraxys (sp) album with that beautiful naked woman on the front - very cheeky&#33; That album was banned by the parents of my friends, but of course we listened to anyway.

High School - Led Zepplin&#33; I bow down to LZ. I am a Led Zepplen abuser. I think I like all music except for Country.

Randomblonde
02-14-2004, 04:33 PM
I had no influences. NONE. I cared for no sibling or parental musical guidance.
I wandered in the musical wilderness until I was 13, a friend turned to me at the ripe young age of 14, handed me a metallica tape and I haven&#39;t looked back since :)

Arm
02-15-2004, 03:13 AM
Until Arm was around 14 he just listened to my moms classic rock I heard playing on the radio. All the crap from the 70s, 80s and some from the 60s. The stuff wasent bad but it wasent enough for me. :ph34r:

I started downloading music videos made from the FMV footage(Final Fantasy #1, Resident Evil #2 and Metal Gear Solid #3 ;)) from my games for some damn reason and they had good songs so that influenced me. The songs were the typical pop-rock shit. Linkin Park, Creed, Offspring were the biggest 3. Anyway this went on until Arm found another music video. A quite special one indeed. :blink:

It be a 10 minute long(and half-ass edited) video containing a 10 minute epic Stratovarius song called Destiny. :) The song kicked ass so I downloaded more Stratovarius then went to metal sites and learned about new metal bands. Expecially mp3.com before it closed down. B) Then I read up on metal more and found some new bands to discover and it went on and on.

Most of the bands I listened to were either power or progressive metal. Then I went and downloaded a Metallica song called For Whom the Bell Tolls, who someone recommended it. Arm loved it so that fueled my thrash metal craze. My brothers music, although I don&#39;t like most of his music, I am quite fond of Slayer.

I must thank all the people over the internet for helping me fuel my love for metal. Everyone who makes the web sites and recommended me to download a song.

And The Story Ends. :music1:

CrumbCat
08-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Bumped for the newer members...

Celerystalksme
08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CrumbCat@9 August 2004 - 21:40
Bumped for the newer members...
ahhhh a flashback from the glory days of musicworld...these were great times...i actually remember this thread quite well...which is an achievement seeing i was drunk 24/7 during that time :lol:

CrumbCat
08-09-2004, 01:45 PM
:lol:

I agree.....a time when Musicworld used to be fun and intriguing.

Snee
08-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Stuff I grew up with that made an impact and that I didn&#39;t chose myself, stuff that just sort of played in the background:

Abba
Aha
Alphaville
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Flash n&#39; the Pan
Fleetwood Mac
Kraftwerk
Midnight Oil
Mikael B. Tretow
Nazareth
Pugh Rogefelt
Ramones
Status Quo
Twisted Sister

Then there was some cajun music, some classical music, and some other stuff, this was just off the top off my head.

Damienred667
08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Growing up i was into all kinds of music.Around the age of 10 i started to like band&#39;s like korn,slipknot and metallica.Later on i started to like different kinds of music like korn,slipknot,and Metallica.But now i mostly have rock on my computer.

But over all i grew up with is rock.

S!X
08-11-2004, 03:45 AM
STYX B) Lynard Skinnard

pusher
08-11-2004, 07:22 AM
I grew up on rock from the 50s and 60s. There was a lot of Motown playing around the house as well. Then I learned how to listen to rock of the 80s and metal from the 70s from my sisters. Who also then taught me how to listen to industrial artists, techno, and such. That led to my listening to japanese noise, avante-garde electronica etc.

dumdum
08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
all files are tested and safe

http://daddydirt.homestead.com/files/Welk.jpg

plopped in front of the black & white tv while my parents played bridge, lawrence welk (ah-one and ah-two) provided my introduction to music. click & open or save the pennsylvania polka (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/spew/100515/Lawrence%20Welk%20-%20Pennsylvania%20Polka.mp3) for a wunnerful wunnerful example.

first trip to a record store as a child, my father let my 2 sisters and me each buy a 45. i&#39;m pretty sure i picked witch doctor by david seville (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/spew/40181/19-david-seville-witch-doctor.mp3). :unsure:

the first song i remember liking on WABC am radio in NY was if you wanna be happy by jimmy soul (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/spew/810517/jimmy%20soul_%20If%20You%20Wanna%20Be%20Happy%20For%20The%20Rest%20Of%20Your%20Life.mp3). say man, i saw your wife the other day, yeah and she&#39;s ugleeeeee :lol:

my life changed for good when the beatles hit the u.s. in &#39;64. i just had to buy their 45 on Capitol i want to hold your hand (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/spew/1581203/IWantToHoldYourHand.mp3). thanks mom. :)

it&#39;s been a helluva ride since then, but this old geezer still loves music from all genres and enjoys anything done well. (except lawrence welk of course) :D

CrumbCat
08-11-2004, 08:06 PM
:lol:

That&#39;s gotta be one of the classic answers to this topic - don&#39;t get me wrong, I&#39;ve
enjoyed all of them so far, but wow - you gotta be reallllly OLD I&#39;m guessing :P

Thanks for the links......I didn&#39;t even know music like that existed&#33; :blink: :lol:

CC

S!X
08-12-2004, 04:09 AM
Im not old at all but im kinda gettin into the music my uncle listens to :D