PDA

View Full Version : Has Cox Isp Called You? They Will Now!

powershot
08-13-2003, 04:21 AM
PLease read!! Its to your benefit

As some of you have seen I have posted a few questions here about the possibility of getting caught for filesharing. Well here is for the ones that answered me "that it was really unlikely to get caught". Today I received a call from my ISP (Cox). Saying that I have been violating copyright laws and that I should stop at once and delete the files from my pc. Although I do not think any legal action will be taken against me. This is just to let anyone else who has cox to be more careful. From now on Im not going to share files anymore. I will still keep on DL if I do not get contacted again. For those of you who want more detail as to what files im talking about. here it is: They were also able to name each file they were talking about.

Emule: All Games

Kazaa: I have not run it in about 2 months so that might be why It was not brought up.

PS. For those of you who can still fileshare please do so.

thank you
:ph34r:

Adster
08-13-2003, 05:13 AM
well if my ISP said that I would say fuck it I still would share

thcLee
08-13-2003, 05:35 AM
by the way what is your user name on kazaa? I'll make sure I block your ass :angry:

simon_no2003
08-13-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by powershot@13 August 2003 - 05:21
PLease read!!  Its to your benefit

As some of you have seen I have posted a few questions here about the possibility of getting caught for filesharing. Well here is for the ones that answered me "that it was really unlikely to get caught". Today I received a call from my ISP (Cox). Saying that I have been violating copyright laws and that I should stop at once and delete the files from my pc. Although I do not think any legal action will be taken against me. This is just to let anyone else who has cox to be more careful. From now on Im not going to share files anymore. I will still keep on DL if I do not get contacted again. For those of you who want more detail as to what files im talking about. here it is: They were also able to name each file they were talking about.

Kazaa:  I have not run it in about 2 months so that might be why It was not brought up.

thank you
the best bet is to contact you ISP. supplier and find out what there policy is on the subject, my ISP. suppliers policy is they will give you 3 warnings and then end your contract with them, so you will have to get a new ISP., so i would not worry about it just use the privacy tool on the new kazaa lite 2.41 and you should be ok, i know loads of people that have got these messages from the ISP. never herd if it going any further then an e-mail warning.… :D

p.s it is best to carry on sharring

powershot
08-13-2003, 06:12 AM
first all

thclee

shut up moron. lol

All im saying is that for some people there is no other alternative if your ISP cuts you off. Other then 56k. Which I wont go back to. Also just giving a heads up to people that do have cox as their isp. Ive been filesharing for a long time now. Today was the first time they said something. However I can not live with a 56k connection. So for now like I said I will have to stop sharing. If you dont wanna share your files with me thats fine. I dont care...

There are many other people that will. inside kazza and outside..

peace out ..

Adster
08-13-2003, 06:20 AM
I can live with a 56k connection In fact I do and am stuck with it for life

powershot
08-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Good for you Hogster (congratulations)

Im happy for you if it meets your expectations. However I do more then DL things and play games. I also work from home.

I'm_going_slightly_mad
08-13-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by thcLee@13 August 2003 - 00:35
by the way what is your user name on kazaa? I'll make sure I block your ass :angry:
Who are you directing this to? It would be helpful if you would quote the person you are directing your posts to. Just click on "Quote" and go from there.

Thanks! :pirate:

powershot
08-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Yeah THCLEE moron..................

use the quote button

hehe

O and my name in kazaa is:

[email protected]

ps. plz block me so I can not get all your precious files lmfao

Adster
08-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Good for you Hogster (congratulations)

Im happy for you if it meets your expectations. However I do more then DL things and play games. I also work from home.

thank you :D

RealitY
08-13-2003, 07:03 AM

Kazaa: I have not run it in about 2 months so that might be why It was not brought up.
File Names?
Curious.

stonecold1203
08-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Hogster@13 August 2003 - 05:13
That's what they all say.........Before they actually get a call.
Then they run to their mommy's

RPerry
08-14-2003, 07:30 PM
well, I'm too damn old to be running to my mommy, and I'm still sharing too :P

RealitY
08-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by stonecold1203+14 August 2003 - 20:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stonecold1203 @ 14 August 2003 - 20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hogster@13 August 2003 - 05:13
That&#39;s what they all say.........Before they actually get a call.
Then they run to their mommy&#39;s [/b][/quote]
Quite True. Although the ISP&#39;s such as Cox and others will only give you a warning, and if you get three, shut you down.

Dieselpower
08-14-2003, 07:55 PM
On this board nowadays leechers are the most honoured users... but it is just my thoughts: I&#39;ve been here quite a long time (allmost a year) to notice that the board is slowly becoming degraded... :ermm:

RealitY
08-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dieselpower@14 August 2003 - 20:55
On this board nowadays leechers are the most honoured users... but it is just my thoughts: I&#39;ve been here quite a long time (allmost a year) to notice that the board is slowly becoming degraded... :ermm:
By...

harrycary
08-14-2003, 08:34 PM
As I use Cox Communications as my ISP, I was especially interested in reading this post.

I found this on the COX website:

Does Using A File Sharing Application Violate the Cox Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)?
No, using a peer-to-peer file sharing program to download files does not in itself violate the AUP. If your software is already configured not to share files to other users, you should not have a problem. Please visit support.cox.net for more information and instructions for securing most common file sharing programs.

From what I read, this means they won&#39;t do a thing. Although, I am awaiting a response to an email I sent them.

I believe that Cox is in the same boat as every other ISP in the world.
They receive a "threatening" letter from; the RIAA, MPAA, et al, they don&#39;t give up any personal information, and then warn said subscriber.

There-in lies the problem. (I wish more of you would read this, as I&#39;ve posted this before) Whether or not to give out this personal information. That&#39;s being argued in the US courts right now and, I&#39;m sure, soon will happen in other countries.

Don&#39;t be afraid to share files. An ISP giving out personal information, for now, is a legal gray area...(here in the US)

Share on my friends...

Darkshade
08-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Crap, I have Cox Cable Internet. Stupid RIAA and other media got to them.

SodiumChloride
08-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Cox cant have a problem with it. A couple months ago i got an email which had this in it:

"- What Might Cause My Account To Use Excessive Bandwidth?
1. Often a peer-to-peer file sharing application such as KaZaa, Morpheus or Gnutella may be the problem. These programs operate as file servers by default and offer files from your hard drive to other Internet users, possibly causing your account to use excessive bandwidth without your knowledge. "

I got the email because i uploaded 1.11GB in one day, which is over te 1GB limit. They aren&#39;t saying its illegal or anything. Of course, that was 2 months ago

SodiumChloride
08-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Wow that was scarry. I was downloading/uploading 3 movies and madden 2004 on bit torrent and all the green and red on my DU meter stopped&#33; I thought cox cut my connection :lol: But it was back up in 5 mins

harrycary
08-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Here&#39;s what Cox has told me:

When a Court issues a valid subpoena requiring Cox to disclose the
names of customers who are suspected of illegal activities (executed
via misuse of Cox High Speed Internet service), Cox has no choice but
to comply with this subpoena and provide the Courts with the requested
information, including customer names.

Cox is in full compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act,
"DMCA". Pursuant to provisions of the DMCA, when Cox receives a valid
notice sent from an entity claiming to be the authorized copy write
holder, Cox then notifies its customers who may be illegally sharing
copyrighted material that they are may be in violation of the law. Cox
also notifies its customers who do not promptly desist from illegal
file sharing that their services will be suspended or terminated, as
required by law.

RealitY
08-15-2003, 04:34 PM
What if its a supenoa served via the DCMA without a court order as the current ones being served, thats the confusion.

harrycary
08-15-2003, 10:12 PM
What if its a supenoa served via the DCMA without a court order as the current ones being served, thats the confusion

A judge (the "court") issues the subpoena. It&#39;s not issued by anyone else or for any other reason(see below).

The DCMA is the law allegedly broken in order to get the court to issue a subpoena.

wormless
08-16-2003, 02:21 AM
so u americans can or cant file share? is tht yr fone companys policy?

SodiumChloride
08-16-2003, 03:03 AM
no, our ISP does. "fone" companies sometimes provide internet access as well as telecommunications.

Renegade720
08-17-2003, 02:12 AM
us americans...VERY BAD VERY BAD :lol:

3RA1N1AC
08-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Dieselpower@14 August 2003 - 11:55
On this board nowadays leechers are the most honoured users...
UM... SURE, YEAH, WE ALL ABSOLUTELY WORSHIP LEECHERS. I CAN&#39;T BELIEVE SOMEONE HAS ATTACKED OUR SACRED COW: THE ALMIGHTY LEECHER.

PERSONALLY, I CAN&#39;T WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE ACCUSES AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MAKING THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN WELFARE MOTHER ITS MOST HONOURED MEMBER. THAT DAY WILL TRULY BE A TRIUMPH FOR LOGIC AND RATIONAL THINKING.

(btw, if you don&#39;t see the intended irony, leechers and black welfare mothers are two groups who are actually villified every single day, k thnx)

kylman5000
08-20-2003, 12:32 AM
I have cox, I got a letter saying paramont complained that I downloaded a movie. Cox is shutting down my service in 24 hours. They have detailed infomation. They know it was the core, downloaded off bittorrent, @ suprnova.org. I&#39;m fucked&#33;

I'm_going_slightly_mad
08-20-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by kylman5000@19 August 2003 - 19:32
I have cox, I got a letter saying paramont complained that I downloaded a movie. Cox is shutting down my service in 24 hours. They have detailed infomation. They know it was the core, downloaded off bittorrent, @ suprnova.org. I&#39;m fucked&#33;
Duuuuuuuuuuuude&#33; What&#39;s with the huge fonts?&#33; We see ya just fine&#33;

Argh&#33; :pirate:

LDeer
08-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Hmm...I have Cox, and I&#39;m sharing rather large amounts of files. No complaints from them yet.

powershot
09-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Realty and everyone who read this.

QUOTE (powershot @ 13 August 2003 - 05:21)

Kazaa: I have not run it in about 2 months so that might be why It was not brought up.&nbsp;

File Names?
Curious.

The files that they new I downloaded were the following:

Enter the matrix
Warcraft
Starcraft

3 games.

Sorry I had not responded earlier however for some reason I could not see this forum for a few days. Dont know why. Anyways thats another issue. Also just as FYI I use to DL/UL more then 1gb a day sometimes. As I&#39;m sure many of us do/did.

I~want
09-05-2003, 04:01 AM
I have a friend that is a sub contractor for cox. He isn&#39;t very computer literate. I was at his house the other day. He has some software from cox that allows him to see what sites you have gone to recently. How much you have ul / dl.
If you use the software that cox gives you to configure your computer to access the net you install spyware. You can connect to the net with cox and not use thier software.

muchspl2
09-05-2003, 04:58 AM

infamousalbo101
09-05-2003, 06:13 AM
AHAHAH i have Road Runner Time wanner i havent got a call yet Yaayayay and i dl like 6 gigs a day since i have a 2 120 gig hard drives

P.S.MEOW

wormless
09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
have u seen if yr on riaas list?

http://www.waxy.org/

wormless
09-05-2003, 06:57 AM
opps wrong address&#33;
http://www.waxy.org/archive/2003/08/12/riaa_psa.shtml

try this one if its rite

wormless
09-05-2003, 07:00 AM
grrrrr

www.eff.org/ip/p2p/riaasupoenas/

sorry dunno where other link came from this is rite im gonna click and check

wormless
09-05-2003, 07:01 AM
it dnt ecsist grr ne one got tht address where u check if yr on their list pweese

sabbath
09-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Just a simple question for which I really don&#39;t know the answer:

Is it legal for your ISP to monitor your traffic?

I really wonder...

Nesseight
09-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Technically you are using THEIR networks to share copywrited files, and they are the ones who get subpoena&#39;ed first, which is a bad thing, because they probably are ordered by a federal judge to hand over your name.

It&#39;s not really your ISP that monitors files, basicly these anti-pirate groups distribute the software themselves, and record your IP and time of day durring the transfer, they later associate your IP with your ISP, and get the courts to order them to hand over the logs of who had that IP at the time in question. They probably give your ISP a list of what you "stole" and the ISP forwards that to you, advising you to stop.

The DMCA is really quite a pain in the butt, seeing how it stops you from "stealing" from an "unlimited supply." Talk about an oxymoron.

Until these rules are changed. it is VERY DANGEROUS to share files, it is a federal offence in the United States (ever notice that big logo on movies that says FBI in bold red or black text), and some files can even break international laws. basicly the US has a 3 felony = life time in prison rule, every file (or maybe it&#39;s 3 files) is a felony, while they probably don&#39;t consider file sharing severe enough to lock someone up for good, it is possible. but if they don&#39;t, they can make you pay for every file found on your computer that you don&#39;t own, plus tack on fines. And you have to pay damages to the companies for "lost profit". which usually gets bloated up to thousands of dollars in a court room, and you still can get jail time.

I am not a lawyer by any means, but if you get this notice, you should check with your ISP to see if you&#39;re info has been handed out via subpoena, and if so. get a good one. chances are you&#39;re in the "sharing" category and will be potential meat to pay thousands of dolars in "lost profit"

To sum this up.

It&#39;s not Cox who&#39;s monitoring your files, it&#39;s someone much more dangerous, (FBI, RIAA, International Police, DMCA dudes) who are telling Cox exactly what you are doing, and when you are doing it, and to make matters worse, they either have your name, your parents name, or are trying to get it. Cox has no choice, if they did, trust me, they would NOT give out your info, it is bad for their sales.

If you are a minor and get one of these letters, you definately want to show it to dad, as hard as it seems, as his wrath isn&#39;t going to be as bad as the courts.

A side note to any financial advisors for companies who insist on making a CD cost over 50 dollars, please reconsider your pricing shema&#33; This is what leads to piracy, when something costs too damn much for the average consumer, you&#39;re not the only software that they need to buy, and when prices add up through all the software that they need, they find themselves unable to afford it all.

nukemdomis
09-07-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by powershot@12 August 2003 - 22:12
first all

thclee

shut up moron. lol

All im saying is that for some people there is no other alternative if your ISP cuts you off. Other then 56k. Which I wont go back to. Also just giving a heads up to people that do have cox as their isp. Ive been filesharing for a long time now. Today was the first time they said something. However I can not live with a 56k connection. So for now like I said I will have to stop sharing. If you dont wanna share your files with me thats fine. I dont care...

There are many other people that will. inside kazza and outside..

peace out ..
I have COX as well and its a big one&#33; I have never been contacted b-4 and I&#39;m sorry to hear that you have.

Even if they did, they would have to contact me by internet and I would say "HEY, DO NEED ME TO SHOW YOU HOW TO FUCK YOURSELF?"

Very bad move though in regards to not sharing files, very bad. I will always share my files untill they pull up in a police car and drag me away&#33;&#33;

If every filesharing user had this same outlook, what the fuck would they be able to do to 360 million users?

Anyone else fell this way?

later to u

CaresToShare
09-07-2003, 06:13 AM
:o Let&#39;s see &#036;23.95 a month AOL do that to their customers.... noooottt&#33;&#33;&#33;
These FIAA people are biting off more then they chew&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Don&#39;t worry, keep sharin
:D
Ann

m8t
09-07-2003, 11:35 AM

From now on Im not going to share files anymore. I will still keep on DL if I do not get contacted again.

hi there &#33;
if you want to be a leech, do it in the river.
or put simply go jump in the lake.
regards
m8t :blink:

sabbath
09-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Nesseight@5 September 2003 - 16:16
Technically you are using THEIR networks to share copywrited files, and they are the ones who get subpoena&#39;ed first, which is a bad thing, because they probably are ordered by a federal judge to hand over your name.

It&#39;s not really your ISP that monitors files, basicly these anti-pirate groups distribute the software themselves, and record your IP and time of day durring the transfer, they later associate your IP with your ISP, and get the courts to order them to hand over the logs of who had that IP at the time in question. They probably give your ISP a list of what you "stole" and the ISP forwards that to you, advising you to stop.

The DMCA is really quite a pain in the butt, seeing how it stops you from "stealing" from an "unlimited supply." Talk about an oxymoron.

Until these rules are changed. it is VERY DANGEROUS to share files, it is a federal offence in the United States (ever notice that big logo on movies that says FBI in bold red or black text), and some files can even break international laws. basicly the US has a 3 felony = life time in prison rule, every file (or maybe it&#39;s 3 files) is a felony, while they probably don&#39;t consider file sharing severe enough to lock someone up for good, it is possible. but if they don&#39;t, they can make you pay for every file found on your computer that you don&#39;t own, plus tack on fines. And you have to pay damages to the companies for "lost profit". which usually gets bloated up to thousands of dollars in a court room, and you still can get jail time.

I am not a lawyer by any means, but if you get this notice, you should check with your ISP to see if you&#39;re info has been handed out via subpoena, and if so. get a good one. chances are you&#39;re in the "sharing" category and will be potential meat to pay thousands of dolars in "lost profit"

To sum this up.

It&#39;s not Cox who&#39;s monitoring your files, it&#39;s someone much more dangerous, (FBI, RIAA, International Police, DMCA dudes) who are telling Cox exactly what you are doing, and when you are doing it, and to make matters worse, they either have your name, your parents name, or are trying to get it. Cox has no choice, if they did, trust me, they would NOT give out your info, it is bad for their sales.

If you are a minor and get one of these letters, you definately want to show it to dad, as hard as it seems, as his wrath isn&#39;t going to be as bad as the courts.

A side note to any financial advisors for companies who insist on making a CD cost over 50 dollars, please reconsider your pricing shema&#33; This is what leads to piracy, when something costs too damn much for the average consumer, you&#39;re not the only software that they need to buy, and when prices add up through all the software that they need, they find themselves unable to afford it all.
Perfectly clear, thanks (and I like your use of greek words).

djnautica
09-07-2003, 07:41 PM
wait wait wait, so if you dont share any files but download files you cant/ and or wont get caught?

just curious

muchspl2
09-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by djnautica@7 September 2003 - 20:41
wait wait wait, so if you dont share any files but download files you cant/ and or wont get caught?

just curious
no, its not thaat easy

nikita69
09-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by sabbath+7 September 2003 - 13:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sabbath &#064; 7 September 2003 - 13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Nesseight@5 September 2003 - 16:16

To sum this up.

Perfectly clear, thanks (and I like your use of greek words).[/b][/quote]
Ok, now try to answer this:

If RIAA or other Assoc... has a p2p program installed on thier pc with a music or movie file in the shared folder. allowing users to dl from them and VV. aren&#39;t these ass.. breaking the law?

powershot
09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Posted on 7 September 2003 - 21:24
&nbsp; QUOTE (sabbath @ 7 September 2003 - 13:30)
QUOTE (Nesseight @ 5 September 2003 - 16:16)

To sum this up.

A side note to any financial advisors for companies who insist on making a CD cost over 50 dollars, please reconsider your pricing shema&#33; This is what leads to piracy, when something costs too damn much for the average consumer, you&#39;re not the only software that they need to buy, and when prices add up through all the software that they need, they find themselves unable to afford it all.&nbsp;

Perfectly clear, thanks (and I like your use of greek words).

Ok, now try to answer this:

If RIAA or other Assoc... has a p2p program installed on thier pc with a music or movie file in the shared folder. allowing users to dl from them and VV. aren&#39;t these ass.. breaking the law?&nbsp;

Well I would assum that this would be the same as an under cover cop selling drugs in the street in order to catch criminals. Just an idea I&#39;m not 100% sure about it.

powershot
10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that since then I have not received a complaints from cox. As some of you know I have stopped sharing.. If any of you can get me some way so I can share again with out them knowing. Im all for it...

thanx

rokstar
10-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by powershot@13 August 2003 - 04:21
PLease read&#33;&#33; Its to your benefit

thank you
hey bro hmm not caught yet but i dont share music if u d like i use cox also but im in az and who gives a flying fuck about the the stupid R I A A FAGGOTS.

rokstar
10-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by LDeer@20 August 2003 - 04:20
Hmm...I have Cox, and I&#39;m sharing rather large amounts of files. No complaints from them yet.
You know im starting to think that some of these people are bull shitting us and maybe working undercover to see who is stupid or has abig mouth here.

:ph34r: i say fuck the r i a a if u can see this fuck you stupid wanna be agents lol piss off m8.

rokstar
10-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by powershot@5 September 2003 - 03:37
Realty and everyone who read this.

QUOTE (powershot @ 13 August 2003 - 05:21)

File Names?
Curious.

The files that they new I downloaded were the following:

Enter the matrix
Warcraft
Starcraft

3 games.

Sorry I had not responded earlier however for some reason I could not see this forum for a few days. Dont know why. Anyways thats another issue. Also just as FYI I use to DL/UL more then 1gb a day sometimes. As I&#39;m sure many of us do/did.
call your isp cox that is and tlk to somebody important and tell them they r invading your privacy. :ph34r:

powershot
10-16-2003, 01:14 AM
ROckstar

You caught me I&#39;m an undercover agent.

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I barely graduated from high school. Get a life man.