PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading Books

ooo
08-13-2003, 09:09 PM
i have to read one of these books what do u think i should read? if u got ebooks for these can u tell me? and file some way to give me it?

The Secret Life of Bees
Sue Monk Kidd

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents
Julia Alvarez

Delta Wdding
Eudora Welty

Fallen Angels
Walter Dean Myers

The Natural
Bernard Malamud

The Outsiders
S.E. Hinton

Having Our Say: THe Delany Ssiters' First 100 Years
Sarah Delany and Elizabeth A. Delany

Go Tell it on the Mountain
James Baldwin

Snowball's Chance
John Reed

All Over But the Shoutin'
Rick Bragg

Seabiscuit: An American Legend
Hillenbrand , Laura

Silent Spring
Rachael Carson

Growing Up
Russel Baker

It's Not Abotu the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

Kindred Spirits
Allen M. Schoen

MagicNakor
08-14-2003, 02:33 AM
The only ones I've read there are Fallen Angels, The Natural, The Outsiders, and Go Tell It on the Mountain. They're all fairly different, so it'd likely help to know which type of books you enjoy. ;)

:ninja:

ooo
08-14-2003, 03:08 AM
heh i just need to know whatz good... gonna go to library tommo... so i need your opinions... :/ since i gotta read one of them... but which one....

MagicNakor
08-14-2003, 03:44 AM
Unfortunately, I can't tell you what you'll like to read. My suggestion would be to pick up them all in the library, read the first three or four pages, and decide from there. Fallen Angels' setting is the Vietnam War, The Natural's is somewhat about baseball, The Outsiders focuses on gangs, Go Tell It on the Mountain deals with religion and race during the Depression. I can't tell you what the settings are of the others; I have a feeling they were published more recently (with the exception of Seabiscuit, which was likely printed to cash in on the movie, and Silent Spring, which deals with the environmental impact of chemical pesticides.).

MagicNakor
08-14-2003, 04:03 AM
Stupid server-too-busy errors. :angry:

Powdered Water
08-14-2003, 04:17 AM
I really enjoyed The Outsiders S. E. Hinton has several other books in that genre' as well, check out Rumble Fish.

ooo
08-14-2003, 04:02 PM
umm what about the secret life of bees? anyone heard of that?

MagicNakor
08-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com) usually writes up short synopsis of the books. ;)

Schuler
08-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Seabiscuit just came out in theatres and supposedly thats good. I say try that :unsure:

justin89
08-16-2003, 04:36 PM
The Outsiders was good

ooo
08-19-2003, 02:05 AM
wat about

GO TELL IT TO THE MOUNTAINS?

i just borrowed that from my cheap library since thatz the only thing they had... that i could find lol...

MagicNakor
08-19-2003, 02:32 AM
It's likely the shortest one on that list. It's an alright book, but it tends to go on a little bit in places.

ooo
08-19-2003, 04:03 PM
heh well if itz a good book then thatzgood lol