PDA

View Full Version : Is this END of windows XP

maverick_andy
06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
:( after reading it from microsoft website. Just felt little bit curious about, are they really goind to stop selling the stand alone XP from June 30,2008 onwards and ending windows XP support till 2014:(

"After careful consultation with our customers and industry partners, we've decided to proceed with our plan to phase out Windows XP in June. It'll be a long goodbye . We plan to provide support for Windows XP until 2014.

what wil happen to windows XP after June 30th? I'm confused

In industry speak, this is called "end-of-sales." On June 30, Microsoft will stop distributing Windows XP as a stand-alone product that you can buy shrink-wrapped in the store. We'll also stop sending it to Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other major PC manufacturers to sell on their PCs.
That said, Windows XP isn't going to disappear overnight.
You may still see copies of the software—or computers pre-loaded with it—for months, as stores and PC makers work through their inventory. Also, smaller local PC makers—known in the industry as "system builders"—can continue to sell PCs with Windows XP until January 2009.
Finally, Microsoft recently announced that computers with limited hardware capabilities—devices sometimes called Netbooks or ultra-low cost PCs (ULCPC)—can carry Windows XP Home until June 2010."

:(what will be my Pentium III PC's future:pinch:

spidey99
06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
what i understood from the article is that, they will stop selling xp after june 30th, but companies that are in touch with microsoft about xp, will be able to use it on their newly released pcs. so, you can still use your p3 pc for a long time.

another note, i have been testing vista for a long time, and i can say that, with 2gbs of ram i didn't ever need xp from the side of performance.

fOrUmAs
06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
who cares what will happend,i will stay on xp for long time

i have been on vista for 2 months almost and didint like much

xp for ever :P

but yea wrong section

DanielleD87
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
everyone will just have to migrate to osx *grins*

KvaNt
06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I wait windows seven.it must will be awesome.

DanielleD87
06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
windows 7 is touch screen so something tells me it will not work on current comps out today and will need 100% new hardware for it.

in other words, for your current computer it isn't going to get any better :/

PRINCE
06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
i dont like vista
xp in my opinion the best
and i will use it 4 ever

JROQuinn
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
windows 7 is touch screen so something tells me it will not work on current comps out today and will need 100% new hardware for it.

in other words, for your current computer it isn't going to get any better :/

thats great...they want to make u spend money....I dont even like touchscreen....I hate the lil touch screen keypads at walmart & other stores...pain in the ass

ukgenius
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Yep touchscreen are soooo annoying. Am i the only person here who is considering moving to the mac rather than see Microsoft take my money with Vista?

identity
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I already have an older g4 mac. So I wouldn't be opposed to moving strictly to mac. I'm also fairly interested in seeing how reactos ends up.

I have a laptop that came with vista preinstalled, but i'm running xp on it.

JROQuinn
06-07-2008, 12:12 AM
nah, mac aint much better....Linux will & has all ready replace MS in so many ways

maverick_andy
06-07-2008, 06:45 AM
nah, mac aint much better....Linux will & has all ready replace MS in so many ways

yeah, linux is becomin good but i dnt think it wil replace MS:noes:

ukgenius
06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
No I thinks it is Macs turn in charge. They may be expensive but they look so pretty its worth it

maverick_andy
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
No I thinks it is Macs turn in charge. They may be expensive but they look so pretty its worth it
I think Mac is still not available in asian coutries like MS does:yup:

rtxs
06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
i dont like vista
and i will use it 4 ever

4 ever? hmmmmm lol in 4 years you not use xp ...

maverick_andy
06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
i dont like vista
and i will use it 4 ever

4 ever? hmmmmm lol in 4 years you not use xp ...
:lol:

JROQuinn
06-07-2008, 08:33 PM

yeah, Linux is becoming good but i dnt think it wil replace MS:noes:

ah but many business have replaced servers with Linux & workstations as well...so also in many cases they have also replaced IT staff for that reason

I know a school district that uses Ubuntu server but many workstations still xp.

maverick_andy
06-08-2008, 05:25 AM
yeah, Linux is becoming good but i dnt think it wil replace MS:noes:

ah but many business have replaced servers with Linux & workstations as well...so also in many cases they have also replaced IT staff for that reason

I know a school district that uses Ubuntu server but many workstations still xp.

yup, its true that enterprise prefer to go for Linux and nothing can beat it:yup:. However when it comes to common ppl MS still rules and MS still has plenty of things to play.:happy:

DanielleD87
06-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Yep touchscreen are soooo annoying. Am i the only person here who is considering moving to the mac rather than see Microsoft take my money with Vista?
nope you're not the only one. right around the time vista came out I switched to osx myself and I'm really enjoying it however at first I was extremely frustrated. It took me a good number of months to get use to it.

osx is 100% unix compatible and runs just about every linux program under the sun and is so compatible it really should be considered as a distro of linux.

clos
06-21-2008, 11:53 PM
most, if not all, anti-mac posts made on this forum and most others are made by bias people that don't know what their talking about, and have never in fact used a mac for an extensive period of time

up until about 2 years ago the main computer i used was a dual g5 mac, then i built my own pc and have been running xp as my main computer ever since...

macs are pretty and osx is an extremely solid operating system but there is something to be said about building your own machine, knowing all the parts in it, and how to fix them

i tried to run fedora for about 2 months, then switch to arch linux for the same amount of time, i also ran vista for a while, prettier then xp but much less functional, certain software just didn't work right... would switch to osx if i wanted a prettier os (xp sp3 with classic theme ftw)

linux is fun because you actually feel like your learning stuff when you figure stuff out, but untill steam games (tf2 :D :D :D) and adobe apps (photoshop, illustrator) are supported natively i can't see myself switching over....

the long and short i see is that gradually more and more small business's and homes will move over to mac, gamers will always be on a pc, and corporations will use linux and windows.....

xp sp3 is what i'm running right now, and up until the software i need to run isn't supported on xp anymore it will be my desktop OS..... but in the fall i'm getting a mac book pro for school :D

DanielleD87
06-25-2008, 03:17 AM
ahh an educated posted. cios people like you are few and far apart on forums like these. however, I have two things to add: 1) http://www.osx86project.org/ *smiles innocently* and 2) mac is making its self easier and easier for programs to be mad for osx every day. check out the new SDK, omg awesome! especially if you want to program for the iphone. osx is still far away from taking some of the good gaming market but at the rate it is going I wouldn't say 'always'. who knows what it will be like 5 years from now.

maverick_andy
06-25-2008, 06:00 AM
ahh an educated posted. cios people like you are few and far apart on forums like these. however, I have two things to add: 1) http://www.osx86project.org/ *smiles innocently* and 2) mac is making its self easier and easier for programs to be mad for osx every day. check out the new SDK, omg awesome! especially if you want to program for the iphone. osx is still far away from taking some of the good gaming market but at the rate it is going I wouldn't say 'always'. who knows what it will be like 5 years from now.

:D that website not opening mate. Its showing Page load error:(
Everything counts in life:D

colombianino
06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Finally, Microsoft recently announced that computers with limited hardware capabilities—devices sometimes called Netbooks or ultra-low cost PCs (ULCPC)—can carry Windows XP Home until June 2010."

ROLFLMAO!!!

that sounds so funny knowing the fact that windows just eats your resources so much for no reason. "ultra-low cost" it RUNs xp, thats ALL it runs :lol:.

ps: MOnOPOLY,CoMMUNISM, Haters!!!!
they are forcing us to buy:
http://theblog.virginradioblog.fr/the_blog/images/vista.jpg

lostdemon
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
I will continue to use xp until something better then Vista comes out.

maverick_andy
07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I think vista is quite good if you are waiting for ideal OS then you wil b in waiting status :D