PDA

View Full Version : Mac Seedbox User Help

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi guys!
I have just rented a seedbox and it is great for public trackers (in that it is easy to set up), but the main reason I got the seedbox was for using in private trackers - the ones that link your IP to the torrent for ratio tracking, which is no good for a seedbox.

I have seen a bunch of tutorials around about PC guys setting up using putty and the like.. but is there a simple Mac way of linking my seedbox IP to the tracker?

Cheers
S.

bananafurry
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
you must vnc to the box ( my vnc app of choice for mac is chicken of the vnc )then login to the site from there, its simpliest way to do that :D

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 08:19 AM
you must vnc to the box ( my vnc app of choice for mac is chicken of the vnc )then login to the site from there, its simpliest way to do that :D

Hi there!
Thanks for the reply.

VNC is built into Leopard, right? Cool.
The seedbox is rented from another company and they are using rtorrent which I think means they are using Linux or something and other people are using it for the same purpose. Does this mean that using VNC I just take over the seedbox computer and start a firefox session on it, navigate to the tracker on the web and go for it? Or have I got it all wrong? :wacko:

bananafurry
06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
oh so its rented seedobox, then i think u must contact this company and ask them if they can or already configured vnc for you :>
rest is easy u just fire up firefox/iceweasel and navigate to the site of ur choice :D
goodluck

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
oh so its rented seedobox, then i think u must contact this company and ask them if they can or already configured vnc for you :>
rest is easy u just fire up firefox/iceweasel and navigate to the site of ur choice :D
goodluck

Yeah, I don't think they are going to go for that as they have heaps of people using their seedboxes at any one time.

I will have to keep looking for another solution I guess..

Thanks anyway!
:)

bananafurry
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
i think u should give it a try anyway, its you who is their customer after all :>

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Well, I think I'm getting a reputation as being 'That Annoying Mac Guy Who Keeps Asking Stupid Questions' over there.

I guess its hard being the only Mac user around in a sea of PC guys sometimes

*wipes away tear*

:-)

Grind$oFine
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Most trackers won't take any action unless there is a change of email address with the IP change as I recall. I didn't have any problems with my seedbox.

You could probably just use the seedbox as is, and if you're really worried about it - just mention that you got a seedbox in your profile on the tracker, and the staff would probably understand - especially when they notice how fast the connection is that the IP is attached to. Especially if you can provide a speedtest/IP of the seedbox you have if you have to go into an IRC channel. The only tracker I would worry about is BitMeTV, but even so you might be fine - I haven't dared to try that one yet.

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Most trackers won't take any action unless there is a change of email address with the IP change as I recall. I didn't have any problems with my seedbox.

You could probably just use the seedbox as is, and if you're really worried about it - just mention that you got a seedbox in your profile on the tracker, and the staff would probably understand - especially when they notice how fast the connection is that the IP is attached to. Especially if you can provide a speedtest/IP of the seedbox you have if you have to go into an IRC channel. The only tracker I would worry about is BitMeTV, but even so you might be fine - I haven't dared to try that one yet.

Oh, well I'm thoroughly confused then! I thought that when you downloaded the torrent file from a private tracker, they matched that IP address with the torrent file and so when I FTP that torrent file to the seedbox for downloading/seeding then it will have my IP rather than the seedbox's IP, meaning that my ratio won't benefit from having the seedbox...
Is that right?

bananafurry
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
ugh... no thats what passkey is for, i thought you have problem with leeching torrent from tracker ( unregistered ip error ) :>

whattheheck
06-12-2008, 12:00 PM
ugh... no thats what passkey is for, i thought you have problem with leeching torrent from tracker ( unregistered ip error ) :>

FFS!!
Well, I think I have just won the prize for 'Currently the biggest n00b on the planet at --:-- pm.'

You would not believe how many hours I have crawled Google trying to 'solve' this.

*sighs*
*crawls under rock*

dunson
06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, actually, some trackers don't associate with the passkey, so you weren't entirely wrong. For those trackers that use your Browsing IP, you will have a problem unless you configure rTorrent to announce your home IP (insecure). But for anything else, just download and throw it up on FTP into your watch folder.

Use ssh in terminal to manage the box. Read up on root/sudo and the rm command so you know how to clean up after yourself properly.

If you have basic questions, feel free to pm me, since I run a a linux seedbox through my Mac.